PDA

View Full Version : Managing retinues and

Naughtius Maximus
04-19-2005, 11:35
How do you move retinue members from one family member to another?

And all my family members seem to be born generals, but none are picking up any management abilities.

How do you grow family members with any management skills? (the little scroll icons)

Thanks for your help!

Viking
04-19-2005, 15:16
First, you have to make sure that the characters are in the same army/city.

Then drag the retinue you want to exchange from one of the characters, and drop it on the the picture of the character you want to give it to.

To give your family members management skills, you should try to build academies, or the temples that give retinues with managment improvements.

Nelson
04-19-2005, 16:31
Any retinue is limited to 8 persons. If all leaders present already have 8 you will need yet another leader with less to facilitate the switching.

Ldvs
04-19-2005, 17:21
Perhaps you'll pay a very careful attention to this at the beginning of the campaign but I doubt you will later, since your economy will most likely be wealthy and this micro management might bore you ~D
Not to mention that once you build academies as Viking mentioned it, you won't need to transfer them since your generals will have ancilliaries aplenty.

katank
04-19-2005, 22:34
A very good thing to do is to have governors regularly convene in an army and trade retinue members about. You can stick the old guys with all the useless retinues and give the valuable ones that they have to the young'uns.

You can also use ancillaries to manipulate which ones are your generals which are your governors etc.

Kekvit Irae
04-19-2005, 22:43
Temples can often churn out great priests at a surprising rate. The best ones to get for a governer are the ones from the Temples of Trade (Hermes, etc) if you want a boost in management.
View frogbeastegg's thread on RTW for more info on what temples give whom (in the appendix) here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=38382

Nelson
04-20-2005, 02:49
It behooves anyone to get the right retinue to a gov who will manage a key troop raising city because all of the unit cost reductions stack. When a leader’s unit costs reach 50%, not only do troops cost half as much but the two turn builds like elephants or silver shield pikes take only one turn.

Ahmose
04-20-2005, 02:56
It behooves anyone to get the right retinue to a gov who will manage a key troop raising city because all of the unit cost reductions stack. When a leader’s unit costs reach 50%, not only do troops cost half as much but the two turn builds like elephants or silver shield pikes take only one turn. Really.. :dizzy2:
very good thx for the info. ~:cheers:

HarunTaiwan
04-20-2005, 04:32
If you are playing the Julii for example, have one type of temple in your first three cities. Rotate leaders through each city to pick up a priest of each deity. Awesome.

But Bacchus can bring bad habits, so if you have a marginal or older leader, let him retire there and become a drunkard...every priest he gets transfer on and let him get another one.

Viking
04-20-2005, 13:52
If you are playing the Julii for example, have one type of temple in your first three cities. Rotate leaders through each city to pick up a priest of each deity. Awesome.

I didn`t know that it was possible to have different priests following a general, since you cannot have both a silk merchant and a spice merchant as retinues of one general.

But how is this with the egyptians, can they have retinues from all the temples?

That would give them some superior generals!

HarunTaiwan
04-20-2005, 13:57
I would imagine so.

sunsmountain
04-21-2005, 21:40
The most different priests i've had is 3.

As for management skills, try getting Good Administrator. Simply finish a lot of buildings when the tax rate is very high, demolish them, and start anew.

Naughtius Maximus
04-22-2005, 19:59
Thanks for your help, everyone.

So far I have been working alot and only playing RTW an hour or so at most. The biggest settlement I have is only a minor city and Senate missions are getting in the way of building first class educational facilites at this point. But I figured out how to swap retinues easily enough.

I am playing as the Julii at the moment, and what I have discovered is that the second generation of leaders aren't the managers the first generation was. I suppose I will just have to wait until the Acadamies are built, and simply beef up several "accountant" family members with the appropriate helpers.

screwtype
04-22-2005, 20:36
I just can't see the point in all these V&V's, or in bothering to manage them. Early in the game you don't have much in the way of retinues to swap around anyhow, and by the midgame you are so rich it doesn't matter a fig whether one guy gets 10% more out of his mines or not.

I wish CA would stop sodding around with the icing and give us more cake.