PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent Enemy diplomats bribing my cities?

unseen11
04-24-2005, 11:12
These Brutii diplomats keep bribing my cities and it is getting rather tedious to keep on having to take them back, I thought having a spy in a city would stop any bribing from going on but it doesn't. So is there any sure fire way of keeping these cowardly romans from continuously bribing my settlements?

Dooz
04-24-2005, 11:22
ASSasinate their ASSes.

marcusbrutus
04-24-2005, 11:26
Yes, assassins are the best policy here, have a few diplomats around the world so you can talk to other factions and murder with extreme prejudice any diplomats that come near your armies or cities.

Craterus
04-24-2005, 11:34
You need really experienced assassins though because Diploamts have bodyguards. An unexperienced assassin trying to kill a diplomat is 3% chance of success. I lost my best assassin ever to a Scipii diplomat..

unseen11
04-24-2005, 12:03
sorry I should of mentioned that I was hoping for a quicker solution then assasination since I don't have the time to train up assasins.

Craterus
04-24-2005, 12:04
Keep a diplomat by your cities and try to intercept them. That sometimes works and they just speak to your diplomat rather than talking to the city, but as your dealing sneaky Romans, I doubt this will work.

The Stranger
04-24-2005, 12:19
try to make the city more expensive AI factions mostley don't have much money.
or assasinate
or bribe them
or add a general with the honest/spartan trait

Craterus
04-24-2005, 12:23
Or make the governor in the cities they are tryng to bribe, make him the faction heir. Heirs are unbribeable.

The Stranger
04-24-2005, 12:38
yeah but a bit tricky, the former faction heir will get traits, and when yuo re-assign him the other former heir will get the traits.

Craterus
04-24-2005, 12:41
I'm guessing this is late-campaign so it doesn't really matter about your faction leader/heir because you have loads of generals by this stage.

Oaty
04-24-2005, 17:53
You could always go into your data folder and turn bribing off.

But to make it more expensive, have a dipomat in the city, a spy and a general. But if the A.I. has more than 100 grand in thier treasury, theres not much stopping them. They'll even bribe your capital out from under you with that much money.

unseen11
04-24-2005, 18:04
You could always go into your data folder and turn bribing off.

But to make it more expensive, have a dipomat in the city, a spy and a general. But if the A.I. has more than 100 grand in thier treasury, theres not much stopping them. They'll even bribe your capital out from under you with that much money.

Really? Could I just have it so no one can bribe cities or can i only mod it so that bribing is impossible in all forms?

Oaty
04-24-2005, 18:14
It's either on or it's off. So if you do'nt want cities bribed you'll have to live without the abilty to bribe troops.

Wishazu
04-24-2005, 18:44
the best policy other than assassination is bribe the enemy diplomats. diplomats are cheap and you dont need to advance much up the tech tree to train them.

Copperhaired Berserker!
04-24-2005, 22:12
my cities got bribed loadsa times before v1.2 so i grateful for RTW V1.2

Bhruic
04-24-2005, 22:42
It's either on or it's off. So if you do'nt want cities bribed you'll have to live without the abilty to bribe troops.

True, but you can make it more difficult. Move the diplomat up to governors_palace instead of governors_villa. Or, move the diplomat to a different building. Either option should decrease the number of diplomats that get hired (especially by the barbarian factions).

Bh

Uesugi Kenshin
04-25-2005, 03:10
I birbe the diplmoats that are bribing my cities. I almost never use assassins, but I always keep several diplomats around.

Magraev
04-25-2005, 06:34
1.2 made bribing a lot more expensive, but still possible.

Keep a small mobile army ready to take back your city immediately - then the ai has no time to build a garrison, and they've just wasted 30k.

A leader in a city targeted for bribing can quickly gain "proven loyalties" and "trusty" traits making the city very expensive.

pezhetairoi
04-26-2005, 07:55
Do -you- get the 30k if they bribe your city away? The only cities I had bribed away were Thapsus and Carthage, as the Scipii, but it was annoying enough because a full-stack army went with the latter city. >.< I think the mobile arny idea is the most effective, if you're like me who believes generals should be used in the field because they are very efficient heavy cavalry. But if you're not, and believe generals should be used according to their best attributes, then well, some transfer of honest factioners to the frontier cities will be in order, as much time as it may take.

Magraev
04-26-2005, 11:42
You don't get the bribe yourself unfortunately. That goes to the decieving garrison troops...

Romeus Petrus
04-26-2005, 14:56
Bribery really sucks. I had Capua as the Armenians and it was bribed by an SPQR diplomat. It sucked for 2 reasons: first it was the only city I had in the Italian peninsula and I was planning on using it as a base for the conquest of the rest of Italia including Rome, and second I had a full stack of 3 golden cheverons Cat archers there that took me ages to get to that level. I miss my CA a lot more than that miserable Roman city. :bigcry: :bigcry:

Craterus
04-26-2005, 16:41
3 gold chevron, nasty

Chevrons = valour.
Valour = qualities of a hero..
Qualities of a hero include honesty..
And yet the sneaky cats were bribed.. tut tut

cunobelinus
04-26-2005, 21:58
i hate web diplomates bribe ur cites that s y it good to send ur family there they ussualy keep it safe

Craterus
04-26-2005, 22:03
Not if your family members are dishonest ********!! :furious3: :furious:

pezhetairoi
04-27-2005, 02:09
Sigh... gold chevron CA are a big loss... Oh well. My condolences, but life must go on :-P Let's just rest easy in the knowledge that Rome will be massacred when we get to them...

PseRamesses
04-27-2005, 07:55
These Brutii diplomats keep bribing my cities and it is getting rather tedious to keep on having to take them back, I thought having a spy in a city would stop any bribing from going on but it doesn't. So is there any sure fire way of keeping these cowardly romans from continuously bribing my settlements?
Always keep a spy in every settlement. I´ve never lost a city to bribery while having a stationary spy there. Later on I tend to have one spy, one diplomat and one assasin in every settlement. I also have them with all my armies. They really come handy when on a campaign. Don´t forget to pick them up agian when you leave a conquered settlement and move on.

Romeus Petrus
04-27-2005, 15:47
Always keep a spy in every settlement. I´ve never lost a city to bribery while having a stationary spy there. Later on I tend to have one spy, one diplomat and one assasin in every settlement. I also have them with all my armies. They really come handy when on a campaign. Don´t forget to pick them up agian when you leave a conquered settlement and move on.
I am not so sure about that, I had 3 spies in Capua with my gold cheveron CAs. Still it was bribed :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: . I am now adopting a new policy, I just bribe every diplomat, especially roman, that comes any where near my cities. The downside is I won't hear them begging me for a cease fire.

Oaty
04-28-2005, 13:31
I'm all for the Shogun ways here. A failed bribe should = a chopped off head or at least allow you the option to return the enemy diplomat in a gift bag.

Ah yes anyone remember that good old video of a failed diplomatic mission.

I actually forget the video sequence but the end result was you saw your diplomats head (on a platter?) (in a gift bag?)

Maybe each clan had a different way of returning your emisary.

Bring back the chopping off of diplomats heads

Craterus
04-28-2005, 16:09
Only if they made an insulting proposition.
You should get spies' heads sent back on a pike, or in a bag. If they were caught.

pezhetairoi
04-29-2005, 01:45
I do agree with Oaty. Which insane commander would allow an unarmed diplomat and his small entourage of slaves, interpreters and foreign hostages to walk in to his army camp like he owned it, hear the diplomat say 'get off my land, i'll pay you whatever you ask', refuse the diplomat, and still let him walk out the camp alive, with the added risk of the diplomat reporting back to his bosses what he saw in the camp?

No realism there. Diplos become far too powerful without the risk of execution. It'd also make them not so much a throwaway i.e. you'd certainly have to pay far more attention to them than just to treat them like bribe machines, fire-and-forget. Adds a whole new level to the game, too :-)

Kraxis
04-29-2005, 02:44
oaty, in STW the Diplomat was executed whenever the other fation leader felt like it. I don't think any real research was made on it, but to me it seemed as if it just happened, of course more often with a bitter enemy.

The way you got to know it was simply when you ended the turn you got dropped to the Throne room, where a retainer entered very humbly and presented the head on a platter while giving you a short speech of how despicable the enemy is for doing this sort of action. I always felt personally insulted. And I was angry that I wasn't able to do the same back to them (though released screenshots had the sitting geisha jump out with a wakizashi, so obviously it was intended that you could), especially when they kept asking for alliances and peace when they just broke it right away again. Insolent dogs!

tai4ji2x
04-29-2005, 06:57
yeah, it sucked that i could never do it in return. ol' mori was getting on my nerves, he was!