PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly The Scariest Game

Cha
04-26-2005, 10:10
The scariest game for me is Resident Evil, the remake version (http://www.residentevilfan.com/re1rem/). The remake version has the best character models that I've ever seen in any game. The scenery has the best detail too. Unfortunately, only Gamecube players can play the remake version.

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/gamecube/resident-evil/resident-evil-1.jpg http://www.residentevilfan.ws/re1rem/images/screen2.jpg

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/images/screens/resident_evil2_cube.jpg

Other games like 'Doom' and 'Aliens versus Predator' would be scarier if their graphics were improved. The movie 'Aliens' was much more scarier than the 'Resident Evil' movie.

Fragony
04-26-2005, 10:17
Try Thief:the Dark Project or System Shock 2! REmake has it's moments too, these krimson heads ~:eek:

King Edward
04-26-2005, 10:25
I was never a fan of the resident evil series. For Shear Jumpynes (If thats a word!) Doom 3 had my hear missing a few beats every now and then. Esp with a decent sound set up and all the lights out. The game has its faults but creating an atmosphear is not one of them!

Cha
04-26-2005, 10:42
'RE: the Remake' had background music that made my heart jump. Everytime my heart beat, I thought a crimson head would pop into the scene.

I played the old version of 'Doom' in the 90s. I beat the giant satanic head. I think the more recent version would be more scarier because of the better graphics. I haven't played the recent version yet. 'Wolfenstein' was scary too. That game is where the words 'God Mode' came from.
These games tend to make me feel lonely, though. I'd like to have a wingman to help me out like in 'Resident Evil: Zero' or 'Counter-Strike'.

King Edward
04-26-2005, 10:51
The Lonelyness is part of what make Doom 3's atmosphear so good, Its you and your gun against the spawn of hell. Lets rock!

Fragony
04-26-2005, 10:52
SInce you have a gamecube, get Eternal Darkness. That game is evil I tell you, it messes with your mind. It is also very cheap now.

Cha
04-26-2005, 11:05
I checked the images for 'Eternal Darkness' at yahoo. The graphics looked good like 'Tomb Raider' did. Looks like a good game.

The loneliness is fun during the early levels of 'Doom'. After that, I start to get a little depressed from the loneliness. I start to miss the interaction with friendlies after so much shooting. I admit that the game is scary from beginning to end, though. ~:eek:

eat cold steel
04-26-2005, 11:24
Check out often ignored project zero / fatal frame series. It sold so few copies it's a crime. You can pick up both games real cheap now.

Togakure
04-26-2005, 11:32
Hands down, the creepiest game I've played was System Shock II. I'll have to check out these other ones mentioned. I like to be creeped out.

Fragony
04-26-2005, 11:33
I checked the images for 'Eternal Darkness' at yahoo. The graphics looked good like 'Tomb Raider' did. Looks like a good game.

The loneliness is fun during the early levels of 'Doom'. After that, I start to get a little depressed from the loneliness. I start to miss the interaction with friendlies after so much shooting. I admit that the game is scary from beginning to end, though. ~:eek:

Here is a good review (http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/eternaldarknesssr/review.html), it is survival horror just like REmake, but with far superior control. It is scary in a different way, it has no BOOOO moments like REmake, it is like being inside a someones nightmare. The sanity (you can read about it in the review) is brilliant, and caught me of guard numerous times. I don't want to spoil anything, but let me tell you that it's creepy as fork.

edit: how on earth can I pimp this game without mentioning the excellent voiceacting and excellent story. For lovecraft-fans it is a must have.

Hands down, the creepiest game I've played was System Shock II. I'll have to check out these other ones mentioned. I like to be creeped out.

Try Thief from the same maker, even worse then system shock. Creepiest enemy's ever, here is a nice sound of a haunt (http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/thief/%5BLGS%20Fanmix%20-%20Picklocke%5D%20-%20Thief%20-%20Haunted.mp3)

These guys have actually given me nightmares.

Cha
04-26-2005, 11:52
That haunt sounded quite evil. :hide:

Toga, you should try these other games. You're missing out a lot if you're not.

Project Zero / Fatal Frame looks good. The graphics of the scenery looks better than the one in RE/ the Remake. The character models look almost as good. I'm surprised that I haven't seen that game.

btw-The weapons in 'Doom' can beat any zombie in 'Resident Evil' easily. Hehe.

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-26-2005, 17:23
I'd second Frag's reccomendation of Eternal Darkness. It has this fantastic all-pervading aura of evil-If you've read any Lovecraft you'll know what I'm talking about. Oh, and if you are a Lovecraft fan like me you'll enjoy many of the references.

DemonArchangel
04-26-2005, 19:57
The scariest game ever...

Hmm... they're probably in the "Medal of Honor" series. They suck so much, it's scary.

Seriously though, Thief was scary, mainly because unlike in system shock 2, your character cannot fight for beans.

Craterus
04-26-2005, 20:37
I'm afraid I have to agree with those that have said Reseident Evil.
Afraid, get it? lol :laugh4:

Mikeus Caesar
04-26-2005, 20:47
For me it has to be Alien vs Predator 2, as it's probably the only scary game i've got. And anyway, i got it when i was younger, and back then it really scared me.

Dooz
04-26-2005, 20:55
..."Play with the Teletubbies" for Playstation... come on... :uhoh2:

Mikeus Caesar
04-26-2005, 21:01
Teletubbies do actually scare me....what could be weirder and scarier than a few fat people with aerials in their heads and tv's in their tummys?

Dooz
04-26-2005, 21:04
Not much my friend, not much...

Craterus
04-26-2005, 21:08
what could be scarier than a few fat people with aerials in their heads and tv's in their tummys?

Teletubbie-tweenie hybrids? ~:confused:

Navaros
04-27-2005, 00:07
in my view, Nocturne is the scariest game ever made and best horror game ever made. i'm talking about the old PC game from 1999, not the new console version which uses that title as a suffix

Uesugi Kenshin
04-27-2005, 03:49
Doom 3 is by far the scariest gamne I have very played, next to its expansion of course....

The suspense is great and it works perfectly in the beginning and middle when you are still an underpowered marine surrounded by crazies and demons, however, once I get the chainsaw. Hehehehe :charge: I AM DAS UBER MARINE! :furious3:

Expansion does not have chainsaws, but same thing with the invincibility gained from the demon heart. Except Das Uber Marine is better than the combat engineer that you play in the expansion, he has chainsaws and is not the reason for the incident.

Gregoshi
04-27-2005, 04:07
Doom 3 in the dark with headphones on is the scariest game I've ever played. The first 2/3 of the game had incredibly frightening moments - often from sound alone. Just the "cry" of those "baby demons" was enough to quicken my pulse and make my skin crawl.

AggonyKing
04-27-2005, 04:14
You can't forget Doom 3. Scariest game I ever played, especially at night...more like 12 am, alone in your room, then ~:eek: you run away crying like a baby

Zalmoxis
04-27-2005, 04:45
I'm surprised no ones mentioned RTW yet...

Navaros
04-27-2005, 04:47
i am bewildered by all the people saying Doom 3 is scary

for me Doom 3 was scary only for the first hour or two. the scare factor of Doom 3 was nothing more than a quickly-fading novelty effect.

after a few hour of playing, i'd seen 95% of the whole game. which bascially just consists of:

walk down millionth, cramped hallway that looks like every other cramped hallway in the whole game, wait for a few Imps to spawn along with one or two other enemy character models. blast the Imps. walk for another 30 seconds. at this point, then repeat the process again from the beginning ad infinitum

after about 5 hours of this i found Doom 3 to be one of the boringest games ever.

i've had Doom 3 since release and only got just inside the Delta Labs (on Veteran mode). i still can't bring myself to play it any more -because for me it's just so agonizingly non-scary, tortuously repetitive, and incredibly boring.

however, i did find Doom and Doom II to be very scary. far more scary IMO than Doom 3 was.

Gregoshi
04-27-2005, 05:47
You're just made of stouter stuff than the rest of us Navaros. ~:) Either that or you have to turn off the lights and unmute the sound next time you play Doom 3. ~;) Seriously, people are different. What scares one person, doesn't even phase another. What is fun for some, is boring for others.

I will say that the last 1/3 of Doom 3 or so wasn't nearly as scary as the first 2/3. I don't think it was because I got used to the tricks. It was more like the scary elements weren't there anymore - no more haunting voices whispering in one ear, no more floor/wall panels blowing out as you approach them, etc. To me, the monsters usually weren't what made the game scary - except them baby demons... And the amazing thing about the baby demons is that they weren't very tough to beat, but they gave me the creeps anyway!

TonkaToys
04-27-2005, 08:52
For me it has to be Alien vs Predator 2, as it's probably the only scary game i've got. And anyway, i got it when i was younger, and back then it really scared me.

I concur... AvP and AvP2... blasted aliens jumping out at you, facehuggers appearing from nowhere... that is scary. I got banned from having the PC in the livingroom because my g/f said my jumping at this game kept making her jump!

Shaitan
04-27-2005, 09:26
Anyone tried "Clive Barker's Undying"?
Very scary Atmosphere.

Shaitan

frogbeastegg
04-27-2005, 09:41
I'll third the recommendation for Eternal Darkness. Wonderful little game; shame it didn't seem to sell too well. It's 'smart' horror, not 'in your face' horror like most other games.

I can't pass any thread where Thief is mentioned without putting in a plug for the old masterpiece. Go buy it. Now. Get Thief 2 as well. They are both on budget, and as an extra bonus you can see where I got my username from ...

System Shock 2 has to be the scariest game I've played. The atmosphere was so thick you could cut it with a knife, you were so lonely, so vulnerable, so lost, and there were plenty of very memorable scenarios. The sound was simply brilliant; voice acting and sound effects both. Actually, all of that could also be said of Thief, but somehow I always felt more unnerved by SS2.

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-27-2005, 19:17
Woops, only just realised that this should be in the Arena. :embarassed:

ah_dut
04-27-2005, 19:28
I thought Doom I was as scary as hell at the age of 4 playing it on a 486... :D

RabidGibbon
04-27-2005, 19:59
The biggest fright a video game ever gave me wasn't a paticularly scary game in general.

I was creeping into the big bad guys den at the end of Morrowind, getting all curious about the footsteps I could hear round the corner when a booming voice rang out of nowhere. Even after I realised that some wierdo hadn't climbed in through the letterbox and started mouthing off at me I still found it pretty creepy.

I think it probably had a bit to do with the fact I was trying to be stelathy (Shoulders hunched, leaning forward, gripping the controller, you know how it is) and knew no one could see me that made it so suprising.

Voigtkampf
04-27-2005, 20:21
Let’s see…

Doom, the first one, was the only game that actually made me feel sick in stomach after few hours of playing. I could play for two or three hours, than turn it off and come back the next day. Believe me, I have tuff guts, :charge: ~;) heh, but Doom scared the hell out of me, especially that piggish groin that would suddenly come from the darkness next to me. :scared:

Doom 3 was scary too, that baby cry, omg… :help:

But I like the scariness of Resident Evil the most. The reason to buy a console years ago, yessir! ~:cheers:

Also, a frontrunner on scariness: SILENT HILL!!! :book:

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/artgallery/silenthill2/art01.jpg

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/images/silenthill41.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/animelist/silenthill4.jpg

Craterus
04-27-2005, 20:26
Silent Hill is pretty scary.. :scared:

Bob the Insane
04-27-2005, 20:37
Vampire Bloodlines, while not really scary throughout did achieve a fantastically creepy astmosphere on the Haunted Hotel level... Played at night, in the dark with good sound is a must...

Kraxis
04-27-2005, 21:55
Doom 3 has to end up around the level of Simcity or something... Ok a good deal higher, but only because of its shock factor, it was far from scary to me. Navaros is right it is highly repitative, and I was disgusted at the use of lighting, or rather the lack of lighting. That is not a good way of doing it, blinking lights of quite some power and dark shades are much more effective. All this darkness only makes it tiresome to actually move around as you sometimes miss the correct way out.

My list of scariest games (decreasing in scaryness but at the top they are pretty scary all):
AvP: The sound of Aliens crawling on the walls, the encounter with Praetorians, Pred-Aliens and of course those nasty technical Aliens, facehuggers that are almost impossible to hit and most of all the sound in general. Pulse Rifle and Smartguns simply sound like the weapons in "Aliens", the sound of blinking lights, I could go on with a lot of scary aspects with the game.

System Shock 2: You have a perpetual need to look behind you,even if you don't, you just don't feel safe "SILENCE THE DISCORD!!!". And you are basically underpowered in terms of weapons all the time (who hasn't cursed the fact that you lack the vital repair tool just to feel safe?). Not enough ammo in general, especially not the speciality ammo later on. And who can forget the 'ghosts'? Especeially when they halt right in front of their bodies doing their last acts. The feel you get when you realize you have been sent on a wild goosechase (damn I triggered off several rounds of ammo when the images appeared, by pure terror and reflexes).

The semiscary (those that have scary parts but in general aren't too scary).
AvP2: It has its moments, but the central scaryness of AvP was simply weakened too much, the Aliens are simply too slow and too predictable, and often you face them in far too open environments. The Predators on the other hand are more scary (I really like the little part when you enter the facility the first time). But sadly those that scared the most, the Praetorians only managed to get a small sigh out of me compared to the 10 second scream of AvP.

Deus Ex: In the early game it is far from scary but later on as you meet agents (who are used sparingly luckily) you can in fact get scared and hire out as best you can. Sadly the AI is horrible and you can easily lure the enemies into ambushes. But the game has its moments where you feel the need to run screaming.

Thief 3: Has a lot of promiss but sadly it is squandered too often, just when you are about to get scared. The enemies forget to easily and are often not very scary when they detect you, they just go instantly into combatmode, no real puzzlement at the odd shadow over there. But it is scary in the Azylum.

econ21
04-27-2005, 22:25
Another vote for System Shock 2. When I first started it and saw the hybrid through the window pursuing the woman, I had to switch it off. Several other times, I just had to quit playing as it freaked me out. The hybrids were very scarey, but the cyber-midwives were probably the most appalling fictional creations I've encountered.

DemonArchangel
04-27-2005, 22:58
System Shock 2 WAS really scary.

"Babies need fresh meat..."

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-27-2005, 23:20
Is it still possible to buy System Shock 2? It sounds excellent.

Uesugi Kenshin
04-28-2005, 03:52
Doom 3 has great lighting IMO, it uses flashing lights at times and the atmosphere is great. I was never scared like my god I am gonna go retch, just got very tense and pulse quickened. I deal well with fear and do noit have the retch or run away reaction. But once I got that chainsaw nothing scared me. Get in a tight spot just whip out the chainsaw mow the enemy down and soulcube an enemy super zombie marine to regain health.

I think Doom 3 is highly repeptitive, but the atmosphere kept me interested and it was still extremely fun for me.

discovery1
04-28-2005, 04:29
Is it still possible to buy System Shock 2? It sounds excellent.

I think it still is available through the underdogs(or some abandonware site with a name along those lines)

It was the most unnerving game I hav ever played. Not even "The Cradle" in Thief 3 compares(well it does, but it's only one mission)

Navaros
04-28-2005, 04:50
i found System Shock 2 to be far more frustrating than scary due to it's infinite respawning (one of the absolute worst concepts ever put into games).

and i didn't find the graphics of System Shock 2 to be scary. the sound was scary, but that's about the only thing in that game that scared me. although i didn't bother to play all that far into the game due to the infinite respawning. because of infinite respawining combined with almost zero ammo with which to dispatch the infinitely respawning enemies, that game was one of the most immensely aggravating gameplay experiences i've ever had the misfortune of having.

DisruptorX
04-28-2005, 05:07
If you actually think Doom 3 even resembles scary, you need to play the game that does lighting/ambience right: Thief 3. Doom 3 was so boring I could hardly stay awake.

The Cradle

Scariest level in a video game, ever.

Thoros of Myr
04-28-2005, 06:00
Eternal Darkness or REmake. Funny that a "kiddie" system like the GC is sometimes called has my two favorite scary games :D

Notable scary levels: Thief: Down in the Bonehoard - Thief 3: The Cradle - Vampire: Bloodlines: Ocean House Hotel - Parts of System Shock 2.

Doom series is not all that scary to me because you almost always have a nice big warm gun and a load of ammo to comfort you.

I can't wait for Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Kekvit Irae
04-28-2005, 07:29
My list:

Fatal Frame 1 and 2
System Shock 2 (the audio logs made the game really scary, and they had a ghost scene where the doctor was making a cyber-midwife out of a screaming woman!)
Thief: The Dark Project or Thief Gold (specifically, Return To The Cathedral mission)
Thief: Deadly Shadows (specifically, Robbing the Cradle mission)
Doom 3 (bad game, good scares, but regretably not enough to make me want to play again)
Aliens vs Predator, Marine missions and non-human hunting Predator missions (the AvP2 couldnt hold a candle to the original. AvP2 was a darker version of half-life, where the battles were scripted and the aliens in a set number, allowing you to rest between battles. AvP1, the aliens were infinity in number, forcing you to move or die)

econ21
04-28-2005, 09:32
i found System Shock 2 to be far more frustrating than scary due to it's infinite respawning (one of the absolute worst concepts ever put into games).

and i didn't find the graphics of System Shock 2 to be scary. the sound was scary, but that's about the only thing in that game that scared me. although i didn't bother to play all that far into the game due to the infinite respawning. because of infinite respawining combined with almost zero ammo with which to dispatch the infinitely respawning enemies, that game was one of the most immensely aggravating gameplay experiences i've ever had the misfortune of having.

Yes, out of the box, SS2 would be very frustrating. However, the patch allows you to alter the level of respawn and effectively switch off weapon degradation, making it much better. The "quests" are also aggravating - e.g. find battery to power the generator to open the door to get the keycard to open the door to the stairwell to get to the next level to fix the gravlift etc - but again can be overcome with a walkthru.

The lack of ammo is not aggravating IMO though - it's a feature. If you could just blast the hybrids with your guns, it would be like Doom. It's the fact that you have to hide round the corner and whack them with your wrench that makes it so scarey. As you say, the sounds are the main thing and hearing a hybrid or mid-wife approach as you wait out of sight really gets the flight or fight adrenalin going.

It's worth perserving with, IMO, because it is immersive. My memory of it is so vivid, I almost feel I have been on the Von Braun.

Fragony
04-28-2005, 12:41
Silent Hill is just crazy. These nurses!

Fragony
04-28-2005, 12:42
Yes, out of the box, SS2 would be very frustrating. However, the patch allows you to alter the level of respawn and effectively switch off weapon degradation, making it much better. The "quests" are also aggravating - e.g. find battery to power the generator to open the door to get the keycard to open the door to the stairwell to get to the next level to fix the gravlift etc - but again can be overcome with a walkthru.

The lack of ammo is not aggravating IMO though - it's a feature. If you could just blast the hybrids with your guns, it would be like Doom. It's the fact that you have to hide round the corner and whack them with your wrench that makes it so scarey. As you say, the sounds are the main thing and hearing a hybrid or mid-wife approach as you wait out of sight really gets the flight or fight adrenalin going.

It's worth perserving with, IMO, because it is immersive. My memory of it is so vivid, I almost feel I have been on the Von Braun.

Somebody shoot the infidel. The respawning makes sure you are always hunted. Try playing it on impossible, psi only!

The Cradle

Scariest level in a video game, ever.

The legendary Return to the cathedral missions from the first Thief gets my vote for scariest level ever. The feeling of being in an evil place has never been matched afterwards. But the Cradle from deadly shadows comes close.

Kraxis
04-28-2005, 14:06
The Cradle is thatthe abandoned azylum? I mean where you face those impossible to kill man-beasts? Well I aleady mentioned that as damn scary, I was so scared that I didn't notice I was sweating until I turned the game off.

I can't remember the midwife creation of SS2, damn! But actually I never liked the midwifes, they just seemed to clanky and noisy to be dangerous (well they were of course dangerous but not that scary). One of the very best scenes in the game wasn't scary at all, but just had that atmosphere where you felt "DAMN! DAMN DAMN DAMN!" At the very end when you are sitting in the elevator and the door is rising so ever slowly and you notice those two people you have been finding logs from all the game are running down the corridor in front of you, then you see one of those hulking brutes running after them. Eventhough you want to rush out and save them, just so you can meet living humans again, you can't because the door hasn't risen enough yet... I yelled out in frustration right then.
You just feel so alone in the game, and the logs create a sense of urgency and vitality to the game, atmosphere!

The respawning I found to be good, it kept me on my toes, it forced me to never relax and I was never sure thatI could stand where I stood, I had to keep moving. Hoping to find a place where I could halt and take into account what I had read or heard the last minutes, as well as research my finds. It really fittind the setting of me being alone with enemies everywhere.
I do agree that the entire puzzlefixing is a bit tedious, but they make up for that by giving you clues and letting you find logs and so on all the while so that it becomes more than a simple puzzle.
But the lack of ammo and other equipment is certainly something I liked with the game, since the enemies were for the most part relatively slow it would have been far too easy to just shoot them. Ambushes and hiding was the perfect order. Add to that the cameras that are everywhere, you truly feel like a hunted individual.

By the way, I played as a navyman, I guessed him to be the best to play as he was a bit of everything, and thus I would hardly lose any clues or stuff.

Nelson
04-28-2005, 23:21
Anyone tried "Clive Barker's Undying"?
Very scary Atmosphere.

Shaitan

Yes. It was the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread.

It definitely gave me the creeps.

Navaros
04-29-2005, 01:00
in keeping with my tradition of offering a counter viewpoint on most of the games listed in this thread, now for my thoughts about Undying ~D

i recently beat Undying.

i only found Undying to be scary in a few scenes. namely, at the very start when howlers ambush you in the stairwell; a few places on the way to Lizbeth; and a few places on the Artist quest

for most of the game, i was not scared at all. i was very disappointed when going back in time. i thought you'd get to talk and interact with some monks. instead all you do is shoot them til they die. lame!

i was also very disappointed by the final boss. and the ending. and the utter lack of story starting after the scene where the King goes into the coffin. that was scary...but why is the King only in one scene? what the heck?!

that was a criminal waste of plot and scare potential there.

seemed to me like the devs "stopped trying so hard" once they completed the Lizbeth Quest level, of which the quality was by far the best out of the whole game IMO

oh yes...and the constant loading screens every 2 minutes or less was extremely extremely
immersion-breaking and hence made it incredibly hard to be scared by this game

Thoros of Myr
04-29-2005, 06:54
You basically summed up me experiance with Undying Navaros. It was a decent game but scary...no.

Kekvit Irae
04-29-2005, 09:38
I can't pass any thread where Thief is mentioned without putting in a plug for the old masterpiece. Go buy it. Now. Get Thief 2 as well. They are both on budget, and as an extra bonus you can see where I got my username from ...

I loved how our moderator is the only way to kill guards in the "Casing The Joint" mission, where if you are seen, you lose. Unfortunately, her use is limited as the mission was built around Lytha-mode.

AFM984
04-29-2005, 16:21
SILENT HILL
I don't care about the monsters, otherwise RE is excelent, its the atmosphere the sounds,
the DARKNESS,
the feeling that there is somthing next to you that you don't see,
the feeling of complete insecurity (which is present somewhat in RE),
and finally the story,
I don't know about you but I get scared more by the psychological stuff,
In silent hill 2, you enter the mens room & its empty & when you want to leave you here a door slam! creepy

I havnt played most of the games you mentioned but I saw a video review of Doom3 & the darkness seems extremly will made & scary enough. ~:eek:

Hey, by the way, what other scary games on the PS2 would you recommend

Kekvit Irae
04-29-2005, 17:41
Hey, by the way, what other scary games on the PS2 would you recommend

Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 2

screwtype
04-30-2005, 22:14

Okay, you've convinced me. I've seen a copy of Thief 2 in my local store for $9.95, and I'm sure you're not the first person to recommend this game, it also got a few mentions in the Top Ten thread as I recall.

Heck, you can hardly go wrong at $9.95. Aren't budget games great? ~:)

Fragony
05-02-2005, 09:11
Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 2

I keep hearing about these two, they are supposed to be very good. But I haven't been able to find it, my retailer has never heard of it. Does anyone know if there was an european release?

Kekvit Irae
05-02-2005, 09:19
I keep hearing about these two, they are supposed to be very good. But I haven't been able to find it, my retailer has never heard of it. Does anyone know if there was an european release?

According to GameFAQs...

Project Zero Wanadoo 08/30/02 EU
Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly Ubisoft 04/30/04 EU

Fragony
05-02-2005, 09:25
According to GameFAQs...

Project Zero Wanadoo 08/30/02 EU
Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly Ubisoft 04/30/04 EU

That was fast, thx for the help. That explains it, different name! When I am done with resident evil 4 (with it's beautifull controls ~;) ) I will be sure to try them!

Kekvit Irae
05-02-2005, 09:37
That was fast, thx for the help. That explains it, different name! When I am done with resident evil 4 (with it's beautifull controls ~;) ) I will be sure to try them!

What really makes the games scary is that you have no weapons (at least in the traditional sense). No shotguns, no sidearms, no rocket launchers. Just a beat up old camera.
Definately gives you a sense of weakness at the start of the games.

Fragony
05-07-2005, 10:00
What really makes the games scary is that you have no weapons (at least in the traditional sense). No shotguns, no sidearms, no rocket launchers. Just a beat up old camera.
Definately gives you a sense of weakness at the start of the games.

This game is a pain to find, no luck yet. Seems like it isn't printed anymore.

Kekvit Irae
05-08-2005, 03:12
This game is a pain to find, no luck yet. Seems like it isn't printed anymore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006GJ8N/qid=1115518979/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_10_3/202-4355296-3358206

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001IPRLS/qid=1115518902/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/202-4355296-3358206

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008A9R9/qid=1115519031/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_10_4/202-4355296-3358206

Best I can do. I dont know where else they ship other than the UK

lars573
05-08-2005, 05:18
There are two kinds of horror stories, the kind that use atmosphere and not seeing and not knowing to build a sense of dread (and in the weak of mind fear) and boogy boogy boogy thing jumps out of the shadows.

In the boogy boogy boogy category you have
Doom series
Resident evil series
AvP

In the other category you have
Silent Hill series
Thief series
Eternal Darkness

Also creepiest game I ever played, twisted metal black. I defy anyone to play threw the story mode with all the characters and not be disterbed, deeply.

A little taste of Eternal Darkness, directed at your character.
"And after we have broken your frail mind and body, you will be executed in the most painful manner imaginable."

Voigtkampf
05-08-2005, 07:09
A little taste of Eternal Darkness, directed at your character.
"And after we have broken your frail mind and body, you will be executed in the most painful manner imaginable."

:yawn: I get that from my mother-in-law all the time. ~:handball:

~;)

lars573
05-08-2005, 15:17
Maybe but your mother in law never came good on her word. Pious Augustus, the guy whom I quoted did. You see Eternal darkness has different characters for each chapter and 90% of them end up dead (if their very lucky) by the time their chapter is over.

Meneldil
05-08-2005, 15:29
I don't know the main goal of this thread, but my answer is Eternal Darkness ~D
The best lovecraftian game ever. Hell, I wouldn't even play this game at night, it's way too scary.

xemitg
05-08-2005, 21:17
I always thought the first crypt level in Return to Caste Wolfensteain was scary.... it was probably because shooting the zombies only made them angry.

lars573
05-08-2005, 23:35
I don't know the main goal of this thread, but my answer is Eternal Darkness ~D
The best lovecraftian game ever. Hell, I wouldn't even play this game at night, it's way too scary.

Take your panty hose and go home you friggin wussy. ~D

Uesugi Kenshin
05-09-2005, 03:45
But you could just stab run away, stab run away. Rinse and Repeat. And you would kill the zombies/skeletons again...

Kekvit Irae
05-09-2005, 04:10
Try Thief and Thief 2. The zombies are immortal in those games. Only a few things will kill them (a couple of flashbangs, fire arrows, and holy water arrows), all of which are in VERY limited supply. Everything else will knock down a zombie, but it will get right back up.
Haunts are killable with the standard stuff (swords, backstabbing, arrows), but they take a LOT of damage before going down. This, combined with the fact they are except warriors, makes them true horrors.
In Thief 3, the Servants of Kerras are harmless (except when they go running to the guards), but what makes them scary is that they are reanimated corpses. If you sneak up to one, you can hear the voices of their former selves. You can hear them weep, silently cry out for help, and (when they go down) cries of relief. The fact you see a child servant (known in the Thief community as the Golden Boy) only makes this even more twisted. System Shock 2 is the same way with the zombies and midwives, but it's not as scary because you are armed to the teeth. In Thief 1/2, you arent as well equipped. Imagine playing through Resident Evil with only what meager ammo you started with, without being able to find more along the way.

Fragony
05-09-2005, 08:42
In Thief 3, the Servants of Kerras are harmless (except when they go running to the guards), but what makes them scary is that they are reanimated corpses.

OOH TEH NEWBIENESS!!!!

That is Thief 2 ;)

Kekvit Irae
05-09-2005, 11:03
OOH TEH NEWBIENESS!!!!

That is Thief 2 ;)

I just noticed that error. The mind wanders to thoughts of Robbing the Cradle in Thief 3, and the fingers follow. I'm only human. :blankg:

Kongamato
05-09-2005, 12:24
I guess I can agree with most of the games described here, but there is one that I've wondered about after reading an "underrepresented games" type article mentioning it. It is called Enemy Zero. It was for the Sega Saturn. Reviews are hit-or-miss. The premise is that you walk through a space station infested with invisible aliens which you can only detect with sonar.

I also heard about the Clock Tower games being somewhat scary and frustrating.

Are there any truly scary adventure-type games around?

Fragony
05-09-2005, 12:40
I guess I can agree with most of the games described here, but there is one that I've wondered about after reading an "underrepresented games" type article mentioning it. It is called Enemy Zero. It was for the Sega Saturn. Reviews are hit-or-miss. The premise is that you walk through a space station infested with invisible aliens which you can only detect with sonar.

I also heard about the Clock Tower games being somewhat scary and frustrating.

An oldie, 'I have no mouth but I must scream'.

Navaros
05-09-2005, 12:50

as previously mentioned by myself in this thread, there is Nocturne. totally awesome game. since you appreciate underrepresented games, you should definitely check it out. it's the most underrepresented game of all-time IMO. one of the very best (and scariest!) games ever made, yet only a few people have played it. it's an action/adventure rather than straight adventure. but the action just makes it all the scarier.

as a kid i found Gabriel Knight I to be very scary. and The 7th Guest. of course those games don't run so good on modern OS'es, but if you are a true connoisseur then you might be able to find a way around that ~:grouphug:

Meneldil
05-09-2005, 17:00
But you could just stab run away, stab run away. Rinse and Repeat. And you would kill the zombies/skeletons again...

If you're speaking about Eternal Darkness : Sanity Requiem, yes, you can do that, but Zombies (and all kind of undead things) you meet aren't what make the game scary IMO ^^

lars573
05-09-2005, 19:01
Yeah the freaky/scary parts are when you start to hallucinate. Which you start to do as your sanity decreases, and all enemies drain your sanity a little when they first appear.

Hallucinations of low sanity
-tilted screen
-a cockroach walking across the inside of the screen (my fav ~;) )
-blue screen of death
-you walk threw a door and is says controller malfunction as you get eaten by zombies
-screen that says "now that you've enjoyed the demo play the full vesion"
-Loud humming/chanting/whispering
-large drops of blood coming from the celling
-Your characters limps start to ramdomly pop off
-Alex being harassed by Pious/Edwards ghost (these are very, very disterbing)

Fragony
05-09-2005, 19:12
Yeah the freaky/scary parts are when you start to hallucinate. Which you start to do as your sanity decreases, and all enemies drain your sanity a little when they first appear.

-tilted screen
-blue screen of death
-you walk threw a door and is says controller malfunction as you get eaten by zombies

Oh yes. Eternal Darkness is really a 'you get it or you don't' type of game, I pity those that can find no enjoyment in this evil little title. That won't stop me from trying to sell it, because it deserves to be sold.

Imagene this.

You are walking in a cathedral full of wounded people, and they get dragged of one by one. Later you find out that the whole WW1 was nothing more then a scheme by the ancients to get more meat, and the ww1 trenches were a good way of getting it (wounded meat of course, I told you this game is evil).

The funny thing is that is is the story that really disturbed me, gameplay came second. It is the game's calm intelligence and knack for alternative history that made it so good. When you are in ancient times, the people speak latin untill the narrator takes over ;brilliant. Running around, with bleeding walls all around you, walking into another room to be ambushed by 20 zombies that turned out to be a hallucination, only to die by casting a healing spell that didn't kill you after all, you live phew...... and then you get killed by a bonethief that came out of nowhere and digs it's way into your flesh.........creepy...........

Kekvit Irae
05-09-2005, 20:18
as a kid i found Gabriel Knight I to be very scary. and The 7th Guest. of course those games don't run so good on modern OS'es, but if you are a true connoisseur then you might be able to find a way around that

*cough[snip]cough*

Edit: No links to emulators please.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-10-2005, 03:23

-tilted screen
-blue screen of death

Wait, I get that in reality! Better go get some pills.....

lars573
05-10-2005, 16:24
No what you should do is do kill some zombies and do a finish move on them with your sword/knife/axe when there on the ground.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-11-2005, 03:34
Really? Is that perscribed by Psychotherapists or Psychiatrists?

Just as a random factoid I believe Psychotherapists are Psychiatrists who cannot hand out drugs for the most part.

lars573
05-11-2005, 05:23

Not only perscribed but recomended, after all keeping the ranks of the shuffling dead in check is everybodies concern.

Kekvit Irae
05-11-2005, 05:52

Just as a random factoid I believe Psychotherapists are Psychiatrists who cannot hand out drugs for the most part.

Offtopic: Therapists are people who you talk to to work out your problems. Psychiatrists are people who just monitor your mental health and prescribe medicine as needed.
I should know. I've seen both. :blankg:

Thoros of Myr
05-11-2005, 07:47
Oh yes. Eternal Darkness is really a 'you get it or you don't' type of game, I pity those that can find no enjoyment in this evil little title. That won't stop me from trying to sell it, because it deserves to be sold.

Imagene this.

You are walking in a cathedral full of wounded people, and they get dragged of one by one. Later you find out that the whole WW1 was nothing more then a scheme by the ancients to get more meat, and the ww1 trenches were a good way of getting it (wounded meat of course, I told you this game is evil).

The funny thing is that is is the story that really disturbed me, gameplay came second. It is the game's calm intelligence and knack for alternative history that made it so good. When you are in ancient times, the people speak latin untill the narrator takes over ;brilliant. Running around, with bleeding walls all around you, walking into another room to be ambushed by 20 zombies that turned out to be a hallucination, only to die by casting a healing spell that didn't kill you after all, you live phew...... and then you get killed by a bonethief that came out of nowhere and digs it's way into your flesh.........creepy...........

Ahh, this is making me want to play through it again so bad. Damn, too bad I don't have a GC anymore :dizzy2: oh well ~;)

Meneldil
05-11-2005, 08:02
Hopefully, Silicon Knights will release Eternal Darkness : Sanaity Redemption someday.

Fragony
05-11-2005, 11:06
Ahh, this is making me want to play through it again so bad. Damn, too bad I don't have a GC anymore :dizzy2: oh well ~;)

You sold your cube? MADNESS!!! Now you don't get to play resident evil 4, and oh boy is it SWEET

lars573
05-11-2005, 15:44
You sold your cube? MADNESS!!! Now you don't get to play resident evil 4, and oh boy is it SWEET

Resident evil 4 bahh [crappy] game. Mostly becuase it's resident evil.

Fragony
05-11-2005, 16:03
Resident evil 4 bahh [crappy] game. Mostly becuase it's resident evil.

Are you kidding me? It has little to do with resident evil, resident evil 4 is probably the best game that was ever made(which does NOT mean it is my favorite game). It is rediculously good, have you actually played it?

lars573
05-11-2005, 16:19
Are you kidding me? It has little to do with resident evil, resident evil 4 is probably the best game that was ever made(which does NOT mean it is my favorite game). It is rediculously good, have you actually played it?

No, because it's resident evil. I've never met a game called resident evil that didn't suck big fat chimpanze balls.

Kekvit Irae
05-11-2005, 18:36
I suggest you edit your posts before frogbeastegg catches wind of your language. :blankg:

Fragony
05-13-2005, 08:43
No, because it's resident evil. I've never met a game called resident evil that didn't suck big fat chimpanze balls.

Not really a RE fan either(REmake was cool though), but RE4 is more like Max Payne with monsters. The action is amazing, the controls about the best compromise between third person action and horror survival, it plays beautifuly. And the visuals, dear god. Screw Half-life 2 and Doom 3.

Thoros of Myr
05-13-2005, 10:50

My brother-in-law has a cube and I have played teh RE4 and it is good. ~:cheers:

Not too scray but great action. Would like to play it some more. ~:)

lars573
05-13-2005, 15:49
Not really a RE fan either(REmake was cool though), but RE4 is more like Max Payne with monsters. The action is amazing, the controls about the best compromise between third person action and horror survival, it plays beautifuly. And the visuals, dear god. Screw Half-life 2 and Doom 3.

Well my problem with RE has never been the control scheme, play style, or the graphics. The same elements are in Onimusha 1 threw 3 and I love those games. No the reason I hate RE is the moronic half-assed story lines. Aswell as the craptacular characters and big bads.