View Full Version : New PBM Campaign

katank
04-27-2005, 00:42
Hello Everyone.

Anyone up for a new RTW PBM campaign?

Patch 1.2
VH Campaign
M/H battle

Any faction is fine. I'm quite open to suggestions.

Craterus
04-27-2005, 17:59
I'd like to play, I'd prefer M battles. As to what faction, maybe when more interest arises, we could take a vote?

econ21
04-27-2005, 18:06
I'm interested too.

Why do you like VH campaigns, Katank? I dislike the weighted sea battles - do you know what other differences the campaign difficulty level has?

Tricky Lady
04-27-2005, 18:09
Aha! You're able to exchange savegames again, katank? Great news.

I'm interested to join the new PBM, although I am not so sure on the difficulty settings. I prefer Normal campaign/Normal battles, but that's just my preference.

I suggest to pick Scythia as the faction. Other opinions?

Tricky Lady
04-27-2005, 18:12
I'm interested too.

Why do you like VH campaigns, Katank? I dislike the weighted sea battles - do you know what other differences the campaign difficulty level has?

You get attacked en masse quicker, and the AI factions get more "free" units, no?

I remember a Seleucid PBM campaign, where I received the savegame after the first faction leader died (around 260BC), and next turn I was invaded by full stacks of Egyptians (2 or 3 stacks), Greeks, Pontics and Armenians. Only Parthia didn't smell blood yet, and left me alone.
I didn't survive it :cry:

Craterus
04-27-2005, 20:58
Could we not do Scythia because I've just started a game as them. Maybe we could do a faction I have yet to play. Don't worry, I've only played Scipii, Britannia, Spain, Scythia, Pontus and Egypt. I don't mind Britannia though. Thanks, but if you really want to play one of those, I don't mind, after all, it's your choice.

SwordsMaster
04-27-2005, 23:28
I would be up to it too. I also prefer N campmap and at most H battles, cos on VH, the AI is just enfuriatingly resilient.

About the campmap, N is just orientative as Im not a great money maker anyway, so I´ll probably waste it on shiny troops anyway ~;) .

Scintia, or Britannia, I would prefer Scintia, or Macedon as Ive never played them yet...

Anyway, up to you.

katank
04-28-2005, 00:20
@ Tricky Lady, they do not get more troops. The starting units are the same if you look in the descr_strat file.

@ Simon, you start with smaller starting treasury and have to manage cashflow more carefully. You have 5k which should be thrown at the economy. Also, farming income is at .85 times the base level which makes finanaces tighter also.

As for faction, I'm open to any suggestions, having played each once.

orcorama
04-28-2005, 02:35
i would be interested in joining but since i have had some issues with the 1.2 patch im not sure it would work out

as for faction i would enjoy not rome or pontus maybe a barbarien or eastern?

cunobelinus
04-28-2005, 10:42
i am interseted i wanna do brittiannia i would like to have a go early on in the campaign shouldi start?!?

Craterus
04-28-2005, 16:45
I think katank should start, it's his campaign. Also, I don't think there is a clear faction that is wanted to be played. You are jumping ahead of yourself, littlegannon

katank
04-28-2005, 19:45
So we have some people wanting Scythia and others not. However, we have 1 vote for Macedon and one for Britannia with some clamoring for barbarian factions. There is a Germania campaign going on.

Any votes for Gaul, Macedon, Brittania, etc.? Gimme some info ppl.

Consensus seems to be around N/N? Anyone want to try VH campaign? I promise to put the faction in decent shape by the time I finish my reign. BTW, it's max of 10 regions conquered and min. of 5. The reign ends when thy faction leader dies. Does that sound fair enough?

BTW, anyone have a problem with large unit size and use of CVP in addition to 1.2? CVP fixes a lot of trait stuff.

Craterus
04-28-2005, 19:56
CVP??
I like Gaul, sounds good.

orcorama
04-28-2005, 20:06
i have a problem with the 1.2 patch but if its just me then you all go ahead.
gaul would be fun
whats CVP

m/m or h/m would be ok
i would be interested in a vh campaign at some time but for a easier faction then gaul

SwordsMaster
04-28-2005, 23:39
Consensus seems to be around N/N? Anyone want to try VH campaign? I promise to put the faction in decent shape by the time I finish my reign. BTW, it's max of 10 regions conquered and min. of 5. The reign ends when thy faction leader dies. Does that sound fair enough?

Well, if you PROMISE.... ~D , nah, I dont REALLY mind, but I wouldnt want to give the AI unfair advantage. H could be a compromise.

I would prefer playing Macedon or Scintia as I dont really like the Britons as a faction nor their location on the map... But thats just me.

I´m just out of the Germania campaign, so I´d prefer to stay away from the classic barbarians and turn east, again, this is just my opinion.

katank
04-29-2005, 00:03
For all yer concerned. CVP is the Cherry Vanilla Pack released by the Triuvirm Organization. It fixes a ton of VnV bugs in terms of triggers etc. and other assorted bugs including HA bug in 1.2.

I have 2 yays for Gaul. Might be a cool campaign to play again. Swordmaster seems bent on Macedon though.

Anyone want an official vote?

We have in order: me
craterus
simon appleton
tricky lady
swordmaster
orcorama
little gannon

SwordsMaster
04-29-2005, 00:13
I have 2 yays for Gaul. Might be a cool campaign to play again. Swordmaster seems bent on Macedon though.

Well, I dont mean that Im not going to play if you dont pick Macedon, I just want you to consider it... Its just that being Gaul, Rome is too close isnt it? ~;)

econ21
04-29-2005, 01:07
I've always thought Gaul would be interesting to try - they seem to have weak units and as Swordmaster says, an unenviable position.

I'd like to clarify the rules for how long every one plays - Katank said max 10 provinces, min 5 and pass on when the leader dies. The only problem I can see is that if you have a young leader, you may end up twiddling your thumbs for a long time after conquering 10 provinces. Maybe the conditions for passing on should be either:
(a) the faction leader dies and you personally have conquered at least 5 provinces;
or
(b) you conquer 10 provinces.
So in other words, you play out a reign unless you conquer too little (in which case you can continue after your leader dies) or too much (in which case you pass on the game before your leader dies).

BTW, how is CVP different from player1's unofficial bug fix patch?

katank
04-29-2005, 03:38
Thank you Simon.

I probably did not make this clear enough. After conquering 10 regions, even if your faction leader does not die, please pass on the game.

Similarly, if your faction leader dies before you conquer 5 territories, by all means keep playing.

Also, anyone want to try roleplaying faction leaders and generals?

I've done Gaul before. I can finish off Rome in my reign. (kill or severely cripple Julli and Scipii, eliminating the Senate).

orcorama
04-29-2005, 05:11
that would work for me

katank
04-29-2005, 16:40
So we seem to be settling on Gaul?

H camp/M battle ok for everyone? large unit sizes also?

@ Simon, I believe that player1's pathc includes the CVP fixes. I should get that patch. CVP came out a lot earlier so I assume that you all knew about it.

econ21
04-29-2005, 16:58
The setting sound good. I guess Gaul need not be much of a seapower, so the unbalanced sea battles on a hard campaign should not be too annoying. I'd like to try player1's uofficial bug fix patch for this campaign, as I'm tired of scarred generals etc.

Is everyone going to commit to write-ups and screenshots? We've kind of slipped up on that for the Pontus campaign, but I think they add something to a PBM if we stick to it.

Tricky Lady
04-29-2005, 18:26
I am not so sure about Gaul (been busy with western barbarians a lot lately, and certainly since I will be playing another turn in the Germania PBM), so perhaps you can move a bit more forward, so I won't play so soon?
So this is not a 'nay' against Gaul, but I just don't want to play to soon yet, if that's possible...

I'd love to install player1's unofficial bugfixing mod, but unfortunately I can't download or upload anything from the Org, so I would need some help from one of you guys: can someone e-mail this zip to me (if it's small enough of course)? I'm getting very tired of the many scarred generals too.

Craterus
04-29-2005, 18:42
CVP fixes the scarfaces?? Where can i get it?

katank
04-29-2005, 20:55
@Tricky Lady,

I understand your fatigue with western barbarians. You are the 4th in line. Also, I would likely not have time to play until mid next week due to some computer troubles and time constraints.

H campaign shouldn't be a problem at all. Even naval battles are ok on VH. H should actually make the AI more reasonable diplomatically also. VH AI almost never allies with you.

SwordsMaster
04-29-2005, 21:04
Actually, for those of us who dont know where to get them, could someone post links to the CVP and/or player 1´s fix?

So, Gaul, M/H/Large? Ok. :charge:

Craterus
04-29-2005, 21:09
@ Swordmaster's suggestions : Sounds good.

katank
04-29-2005, 22:10
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15701

This is the TTO's download thread. They have lots of good projects. CVP is one of them.

katank
05-03-2005, 02:52
Hi all,
I just started today and played 1 turn. Took Segesta before the Julii. Below is the linky for the save game. Can someone make sure it works for you? I'm a bit paranoid as my MTW saves couldn't be read by people.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/katank_gaul_270.zip

Tricky Lady
05-05-2005, 17:48
Downloaded the savegame and it works perfectly on my computer: I played a few turns just moving around the armies, and no crashes so far, so I guess it'll be okay then. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

katank
05-06-2005, 03:19
Awesome.

Quick update. It's now the summer of 268 BC. Segesta, Arretium, Sambrovica, and Massila have all been sacked. During this turn, Londonium, Cordoba, and Arminium shall fall also.

Two famous battle markers. One where the Gaius Julius and his triarii, archers and many brave Romans fell to our mighty faction heir's army. Another where a large Briton contingent was trashed by our faction leader.

A lowly peasant betrayed the Segesta garrison to the Roman senate. A druid from long journey from Alesia convinced the local people the superiority of Gallic culture and we recovered the city in 1 turn.

Right now the British have the majority of their forces smashed. The Carthaginian garrison at Cordoba is also shattered. While the Spainish allied with the Carthaginians, they are currently paying me 1100 a turn in tribute.

The Roman Senate army is split into two which I shall destroy piecemeal. I'll definitely take Rome in 2-3 turns.

Do you folks want me to sack Capua too etc. or leave some Romans for you to kill?

orcorama
05-06-2005, 06:26
kill capua and defeat any brutii armies that exist in italy

thats my opinion

katank
05-16-2005, 23:12
Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay. Exams and competitions take away from RTW time.

The time is now 267BC. All of France is Gaullic as is most of Italy. Good work by my spy has made Capua fall to me. Strategic army placement prevented the Senate from reinforcing Rome and it was sacked.

We are at war with the world. London is ours as well and I destroyed the last large British stack in an epic battle outside London. The Germans have back stabbed us at Alesia and we should retaliate. We have taken Corduba from the Carthaginians and two armies are moving towards eastern Spain.

Have fun people. File is katank_gaul_267.zip. Full writeup will follow. I've conquered exactly 10 regions and thus stopped hear. Brutii need smashing and the Scipii need to be bashed in Sicily.

econ21
05-18-2005, 00:13
I guess people should play in the order they first posted in this thread, so that means Craterus should pick up Katank's savegame.

Craterus
05-18-2005, 17:05
I will download and play asap, but my brother has to revise for exams so I won't be able to play this week. At the weekend, I will continue the game.

cunobelinus
05-31-2005, 18:04
can i be next

katank
05-31-2005, 20:40
Hello everyone.

I'm really sorry but I have not had time to post a writeup yet.

Craterus appears to be having trouble with his installation.

Is either Simon or Tricky Lady willing to pick up the game right now?

@ littlegannon, it would appear that we should go in the order of first post. This means that you are about 4 people away from getting this. Thank you for your continued interest.

econ21
05-31-2005, 22:14
Thanks for the offer (and PM), Katank, but it looks like I will have to sit this one out. It's a really busy time right now.

Littlegannon - if you are itching to play RTW PBM, why don't you play your turn in the Pontus thread? https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46548
Craterus and I have been wondering what's happened under your stewardship.

Craterus
05-31-2005, 23:59
No, littlegannon has confirmed that he has played his turn in the Pontus campaign. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this one to work at all, so it's all yours Simon. But then again, you are very busy right now. Maybe Tricky Lady can do the next turn.

I will try to download one of the earlier saves, see if it is the one file that is causing problems.

Tricky Lady
06-02-2005, 16:53
Okay I got a PM from Katank asking if I can play a next turn... I can but I'll also be busy the next week (at least for one week) so if you guys can wait a little while,I'll play.
It's fine by me if you decide to skip my turn and have the next turn played by someone else.
I'll read it in this thread.
Cheers