PDA

View Full Version : Tanks

The_Ferret
04-27-2005, 16:12
I, The_Ferret, am calling experienced moddelers and animators to join hands with me to create ONE unit. And this one unit will be... A TANK.

Just a tank, nothing else. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN TRYING THIS SMALL PROJECT! POST HERE!!!

The_Ferret
04-27-2005, 18:20
Anyone? I'm not a maniac y'know?

Bwian
04-27-2005, 18:57
Making the bulk of a tank is easy.

Body of tank is the 'mount' of a cavalry unit. You just assign all the vertices to 'root' bone, and it moves as a single entity. If the unit 'bos around' when it moves, you will need to make a new movement animation which just doesn't move.

Turret will be the rider. With careful use of animation, you can make the 'arm' into the gun barrel and make sure the aim and fire routines in the animation do not do anything 'stupid'. The rest of the animations will be unmoving.

Issues:

1) The tracks and wheels will not move. Without the use of animated textures, there is no way I can think of to make all the wheels turn.
2) The unit will 'turn to face' when moving, and probably won't rotate the turret in a natural way to face an enemy. If the horse archers do this....then you can probably make it so.

I have been working on something similar to this, but it is not ready for release yet, so a lot of this is 'theory' which I have not yet put into practice.

The_Ferret
04-27-2005, 19:47
OK, hows that going?