PDA

View Full Version : Types of victories

Darklion74
04-27-2005, 22:14
In the limited time that I've played Rome: Total war, I've experienced three types of victories, Crushing, Clear, and Average.

What's the huge difference between the three, and how does one attain a higher ranked (ie. Crushing) victory?

Craterus
04-27-2005, 22:16
To achieve a heroic victory, you need to kill more of the enemy whilst not taking many casualties. If you are outnumbered at the start of the battle, this helps.

katank
04-27-2005, 23:58
The better the kill ratio, the better the VnV's will be. If you look through the traits files, the kill ratios serve as threshold for traits.

Overall, I get lots of heroic victories and then have a few ubergenerals who can win outnumbered 5:1 in quality and quantity. It's actually a bit of a cheat that human controlled armies can have such awesome generals.

One tip is to always continue the battle when given the prompt and use cav and even light infantry to hunt down every single one of those buggers. Improves your victory margin significantly.

The Stranger
04-28-2005, 18:58
To achieve a heroic victory, you need to kill more of the enemy whilst not taking many casualties. If you are outnumbered at the start of the battle, this helps.
crushing victory is the same as Heroic only the talker says you crushed the enemy and the afterstats says herioc

Craterus
04-28-2005, 19:18
Potato, potato.. You know the saying.

The Stranger
04-28-2005, 19:25
no i don't

Craterus
04-28-2005, 19:37
Ok then, never mind.

Cheater
04-28-2005, 19:56
I managed to get a heroic victory twice. One of them is when I had an archer unit defeat a small bandit army, but that one was an automatic battle and I didn't actually lead the troops.

The second time I did it is when I was taking over Palmyra... I defeated the entire rebel army (no one survived!) with only my archer units and I never sustained a single casuality.

I should really increase the difficulty of my battles. My enemies frequently just stand there like idiots while I shower them with arrows and javalins. They rarely ever decide to charge in, and when they do, they don't even get near enough to do any damage... either my archer units destroy their morale and they flee, or they get wiped out completely.

Craterus
04-28-2005, 19:58
Yes, I suggest you move up a level.

Cheater
04-28-2005, 20:23
Yeah I know, that's why I'm starting over again at the highest possible difficulty!

Also, because I'm a cheater, I think I should consdier sending in multiple armies whenever I attack... just for the fun of it! :)

Imagine being attacked by three FULL infantry armies supported by two more FULL cavalry division! That would be a battle to remember for sure! ~D

tibilicus
04-28-2005, 20:27
Yep sure would. I tend to operate with smaller more eleat armies. The army i would hate the most would be a full stack of infantry with a ful stack of cav and another full stack of archers. Now that would hurt.

Craterus
04-28-2005, 20:30
Unless you had the equivalent..

DisruptorX
04-28-2005, 21:05
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/DisruptorX/RTWpwned.jpg

Heroic victory requires killing a large number more of them than they kill of you. And yes, being outnumbered helps.

Kekvit Irae
04-28-2005, 21:18
I've had a few close victories in my campaigns

Kraxis
04-28-2005, 23:23
It helps to be outnumbered, but not a need.
I have had heroic victories with equal armies and about 1:5 lossrate. Nothing impressive.

Darklion74
04-29-2005, 00:03
Well it helped. Thanks guys. I'm playing using the SPQR mod and attacked Agrigentum, which was held on the first turn by the rebels (this city is not found in the original version), and managed a heroic victory, being outnumbered 5 to 3 (or about 450(them) vs 270(me)), while they lost over 400 troops, I lost around 11 (24 casualties, 13 healed).

Usually it does well to react to the siege tower not being placed on the main wall, in order to CONFUSE the enemy. Hey, why are the towers firing on us? Granted, I always use siege towers when going up against stone walls. Nice alternate staircase into the city once the gateway is taken.

pezhetairoi
04-29-2005, 01:32
Usually it does well to react to the siege tower not being placed on the main wall, in order to CONFUSE the enemy.

What do you mean by reacting to the siege tower? Whose?

The Stranger
04-29-2005, 06:38
if had many heroic victories over 500. (because in most campaigns i've won 1000 battles and lost just abaut 30-100) most of my heroic victories are in the start of the game. i also had that i was outnumber 1:3 but my army was way better though i crushed the enemy a significant number escaped (about 1000 of the 4000 due the lack of cuz i played romans) that and my better army (1200 5 chevron legionares) made the victory a normal one

Darklion74
04-29-2005, 15:27
Sorry. Bad grammar strikes again.

I meant to say that the AI did not respond very well to the siege tower not being placed right next to the gate... in fact, it got very confused when my men started to take other towers.

AI Rebel Soldier: Sir? The Roman Principes are on the walls, and are taking over our side towers.

AI Rebel Captain: So what? No big deal. They take one or two towers... pfft. We'll clog our main towers with archers to counter their threat, and fight them hand to hand.

AI Rebel Soldier: *Realizing his captain is an idiot, runs to the enemy and prays for mercy from the Roman General, noting he does not wish to die to protect the interests of a leader with a single-digit IQ.*

Cardinal
04-29-2005, 20:56
..... and the best part is when you get the crossed swords on the strategic map marking the heroic victory.... next the triumph through Rome :charge:

Incidentally, I got a Heroic Victory (and my two crossed sword) for slughtering to a man (or woman as the case might be) 120 screeching women with about 4-500 romans. Did not loose a single man though, but still!!

Gushnasaph
04-29-2005, 21:21
How do I get viktory, please?

Craterus
04-29-2005, 21:25
You win a battle and you are awarded a victory ~:confused:

katank
04-29-2005, 22:21
Imagine being attacked by three FULL infantry armies supported by two more FULL cavalry division! That would be a battle to remember for sure! ~D

You do know that you can only control 20 units at a time, right? Swamping with multiple stacks does not confer as large an advantage as one might think except in autocalc.

Marquis of Roland
04-30-2005, 04:52
I'm playing Seleucids after beating Julii on full campaign (hard/hard). I attacked the eggys in Jerusalem with about 1500 men, mostly levy pikes and militia cav (early in the game). They had about 500 so men.
After it was all over, all the defenders lay dead along with about the same amount of my own men (got carried away with my cav :furious3: ). I'm thinking something like average victory, but computer gives me a heroic. How does that happen??? ~:confused:
I've fought battles before where the AI outnumbered me 3 to 1 (in the thousands) and not a single man from the enemy army survived and cost me less than 50 casualties (which I might add with my chirugeon they were all healed later anyway) and I only got "clear victory". Now THATS weird.

P.S.
Levy Pikemen are not to be trusted to hold a battle line against even eastern infantry on hard/hard. That pisses me off. :furious3:

orangat
01-18-2006, 23:10
Bumping this thread. I'm wondering if someone managed to find out the triggers for heroic/clear/avg victories.

red comyn
01-19-2006, 00:06
Did I not read somewhere that it also has something to do with the % of your or there armys involved? or is that a product of my imagination?

SirGrotius
01-19-2006, 04:52
The crossed swords on the battle map sure is a nice touch--especially, if it marks a watershed victory. I had one playing as the Alemanni. It literally marked the beginning of my triumph over Rome.

orangat
01-19-2006, 14:37
The better the kill ratio, the better the VnV's will be. If you look through the traits files, the kill ratios serve as threshold for traits.

Overall, I get lots of heroic victories and then have a few ubergenerals who can win outnumbered 5:1 in quality and quantity. It's actually a bit of a cheat that human controlled armies can have such awesome generals.

One tip is to always continue the battle when given the prompt and use cav and even light infantry to hunt down every single one of those buggers. Improves your victory margin significantly.

I searched the export files and never found the 'kill ratios' triggers affecting victory status.

I'm curious how Kraxis got H.V's without being heavily outnumbered since I almost never get H.V's.

symball
01-19-2006, 16:06
Herioc victories are calculated on army strength not on numbers- (this is what the blue/red bar represents on the battle pop up.) therefore if you beat a small number of elite troops with a large number of poor troops you can still get a heroic victory. I believe it has been modified since v1.0 since I used to be able to get them with relative ease- now you have to really kill a lot of troops and suffer virtually no casualties to get that sort of victory. to get them it is best to try and get sucker the enemy into attacking you on a bridge or in a city centre- phalanx troops combined with archers really help here as they excel when the phalanx blocks a narrow pass or street with archers firing over the top into massed troops.- instant massacre.

Watchman
01-19-2006, 17:49
Heh. I once got a Heroic from a siege sally without ever firing a shot or landing a blow. I took my army out of a side gate, and when the Egyptians realigned their line to face me (it disn't seem to matter to them there was a quarter of the city and the wall to boot in the way) the right end of their line not only ended up not only within the range of the wall towers, but half inside one of those four-tower "kill boxes"... I watched with bemusement as the towers obliterated one unit of Eggy Chariots, three units of Pharaoh's Guards and two and half units of Pharaoh's Bowmen. After that the AI decided it had had enough and bugged out, so the casualties were a few hundred Eggy elite troops and zero of mine resulting in a Heroic Victory.
:shame:
Poor, poor AI. I can't help but pity it sometimes.

Helgi
01-19-2006, 20:01
It helps to be outnumbered, but not a need.
I have had heroic victories with equal armies and about 1:5 lossrate. Nothing impressive.
Your Place on the map and the field it's self count's for alot. Last night (playing EB mod), Playing Rome, fought Pontus with them coming out of the woods, but I placed my 2 horse archers and 4 skrimisher cav. on my right flank. To my center I put Celtic merc's, Samite Hvy. Inf, & some light inf whose name I can't remember with my General behind. On my left flank, Princeps, & Samite Hvy. Inf.. I charged with my Right flank pining the pontic skrimishers and let some of the pontic center to move in, a little on my right. At that point crashed my center into the pontic center and right with my left covering my center. By the end of the battle I surrounded the Pontic Army and cut it to pieces. Lost on 200 men and they lost 1000+, but what helped was using a steep hill and had 600 more men then them.:denmark: :england: :france:

red comyn
01-21-2006, 09:42
Playing 1.6 patched BI last night, and curious thing happend(i'm playing the franks and the untit in question was WRE, VH/VH). The A.I. was playing silly buggers (nothing odd there then) by bringing the same unit of peasants, or in hindsight maybe a new unit every turn, almost up to my city and then when chalanged running away.

So I got used to sending my young general out to give them a push every turn, got lazy didnt check what it was and hit a WRE family member. Ah well he could do with a bit of a scrap says I and hits the autocalc button.

And this is where it gets odd, I killed 8 of his bodyguard, for the cost of 3 of mine and it came up as a heroic victory? go figure. any ideas why?