PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Men of the Hour

PseRamesses
04-28-2005, 11:59
I´ve found a way to spawn men-of-the-hour and haven´t seen it posted before so here we go.
Since I micro-manage my settlements a lot, producing peasants in overcrowded cities and sending them to smaller settlements, I`ve many of them encountering rebels. Usually I put 4-8 of them together to travel safely but when I encounter a rebel-force I move my stack up next to them. Then I use another single-unit peasant to attack and autocalculate the battle. The single unit peasant will be the attacker, supported by the stack of peasants and voilá the single unit peasant will become a general! Doesn´t work every time but often enough to exploit it, he he! Try it and good luck!

I actually have a lot more generals than cities so I take the bad ones to my capital for training at the academy under my rulers watchful supervision and after some 5 years they will pick up traits and v&v´s.

screwtype
04-28-2005, 15:40
I've read that men of the hour are only spawned as a result of the ratio between the number of your generals and the number of your cities. If the ratio is below a certain level, men of the hour are spawned when you win a battle with a captain, otherwise they aren't.

A simple rule of thumb I've come up with is that if I'm offered an adoption, it's the game's way of telling me I don't have enough generals and I'll get a man of the hour if I win a battle with a captain.

I refuse adoptions because as someone pointed out on another thread, they make other family members resentful and cause them to pick up bad traits. This doesn't happen with MOTH as far as I know.

Viking
04-28-2005, 16:04
The single unit peasant will be the attacker, supported by the stack of peasants and voilá the single unit peasant will become a general!

A unit of peasants becomes a general??? ~:confused:

Is that Men of the Hour??? ~:confused:

Kraxis
04-28-2005, 17:50
Man of the Hour is an event where a general is created after a battle, just like you sometimes get a garrisoncommander to be adopted.
Chances are just that Man of the Hour will produce a better general. I have just gotten one who was 4 Command, 1 Management and 1 Influence, and he was only 21 years old (his traits can even increase themselves, so he has immense potential).

Ziaelas
04-28-2005, 18:13
My adoption candidate (20 year old) started with 5 command and 2 influence, and my last MOTH was 4 command, 1 management, 1 influence. All at 18 years old.

Craterus
04-28-2005, 18:14
Sounds like a good commander..

pezhetairoi
04-29-2005, 01:40
I wonder... if your captain leads an army to victory with a family member and his army in reinforcement, does that still make your captain MOTH, or does all credit just go to the family member?

PseRamesses
04-29-2005, 14:22
I've read that men of the hour are only spawned as a result of the ratio between the number of your generals and the number of your cities. If the ratio is below a certain level, men of the hour are spawned when you win a battle with a captain, otherwise they aren't.

A simple rule of thumb I've come up with is that if I'm offered an adoption, it's the game's way of telling me I don't have enough generals and I'll get a man of the hour if I win a battle with a captain.

I refuse adoptions because as someone pointed out on another thread, they make other family members resentful and cause them to pick up bad traits. This doesn't happen with MOTH as far as I know.

Hmm, didn´t know about the city-ratio rule but that doesn´t explain why my exploit work weather I´m in an early-, mid- or late game, weather I have few or many commanders or a couple of settlements or running a whole empire. Last game, as Macedon, I had 7 cities, 5 original commanders and had spawned an additional 5 commaders through using this peasant-trick all within the first 10 turns. You still might be right but I´ll do some more testing.

Viriato
05-20-2005, 20:03
The Men of the hour also apears when you loose a general in a battle, but you still win the battle (I suposse that the idea is that there is a man who takes the control of the situation in a bad moment, and becomes the hero).

When I played, the three times a general was killed in a victorious battle, a man of the hour appears (and generally with two o three stars...).

This could be a way to replace old generals or bad ones. Just attack with a good moral army a group of rebels, send the general to a suicid attack, and the win the batle. Actually, I didn't try it, but I think it could work.