PDA

View Full Version : Black and White 2

Mikeus Caesar
05-02-2005, 01:33
Some of you may have heard about this sequel to that wonderful game Black and White, so here is the official website, in it's full, resplendent, 50ft tall lion wonder.

Oooh...originality... (http://bw2.lionhead.com/bw2/index.html)

Dutch_guy
05-02-2005, 14:50
looks good , I was a fan of the first game.

So hope B&W2 will be just as good

:balloon2:

Craterus
05-02-2005, 17:41
I played the orgininal too. Never completed it though, got stuck at some point.

Mikeus Caesar
05-02-2005, 18:55
I finally got to the last island on the original, only for my dad to decide that right then would be a good time to clean out my computer. My nearly completed BnW game was wiped off the face of the Earth.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-03-2005, 03:39
That exact same thing happened to me! I was on the last island and then my dad wiped the hard drive.

The sequel looks great! Get to command armies, sweet!

Mikeus Caesar
05-08-2005, 13:07
And, from what i can tell, the creature will grow much quicker. Remember how in the original, it would take an eternity for your creature to even grow slightly bigger?

Craterus
05-08-2005, 16:08
Yeah, I remember that. Your creature was really slow-growing.

My favourite part of the game was throwing citizens around. Lol, it never losts it's appeal.

Mikeus Caesar
05-08-2005, 18:04
The best way to throw people about was on Island 2. I made a huge town, which had about 400 people in it, and then called everyone to prayer. alot of them hid in some little part of the dancy place, and i dropped a rock on them. It was hilarious! People went flying everywhere out over a cliff, in a waterfall of people. I ended up killing about half my people.

Craterus
05-08-2005, 18:13
I liked the sacrificing you could do.

Is island 2 the one where you fight the wolf? And there's a turtle there as well.

Dutch_guy
05-08-2005, 19:15
hehe I never got past level 2, I guess I just wanted something else.
And well I kind of screwed myself in that level.. I immediatley wiped out my whole town It's just so funny throwing people around ... ~:handball:

And then I didn't have enough patience to let my Tiger grow, they grwo so slowly...

But I'm probably stil buying the B&W 2 , I loved the concept of game one, and the whole game as a matter of fact, so I'm anxious to what part 2 will bring

PS : Craterus, yeah you need to fight the wolf in land 2, and the turtle if you wish

Craterus
05-08-2005, 19:17
No, the turtle is your friends creature.

My ape got battered against that wolf the first time.

Mikeus Caesar
05-08-2005, 20:05
You can fight the turtle if you want, he doesn't fight back. btw, here's a picture of the waterfall of people.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/currywurry/runblack2005-02-0320-48-45-67.bmp

It's rainin' men, hallelujah, it's rainin' men! (sorry it's not such a good pic. Just look at all the black dots)

The Wizard
05-08-2005, 21:17
Yeah I remember the good old days of BnW... game kept me busy from 2000 to 2003...

Me and my creature Marduk were the fighting champions of the BnW online world ~D

And if you visit the official forums, Black and White section, and see the 'Where are all the Evil Gods' thread: the starter is me. Don't frequent those forums anymore though... really gone downhill there.

~Wiz

Kekvit Irae
05-08-2005, 21:23
As if the original and expansion wasnt bland and boring enough, they had to go and make a sequel. Oiy. :blankg:
Hopefully it wont be plagued by boring gameplay and heavy micromanagement like last time. I'm looking forward to it if that's true.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-09-2005, 03:49
I once trained the coolest most powerful tiger creature ever. (In my house anyway....)

He hated horses and would kick them whenever he saw them, hated them so much he would not eat them, just threw them into the ocean or fireballed them. He also was trained to crap on the storage center of a town! He knew all the spells I ever got my hands on and was a very strong fighter with absolutely no flab.

Kekvit Irae
05-09-2005, 04:12
I once trained the coolest most powerful tiger creature ever. (In my house anyway....)

He hated horses and would kick them whenever he saw them, hated them so much he would not eat them, just threw them into the ocean or fireballed them. He also was trained to crap on the storage center of a town! He knew all the spells I ever got my hands on and was a very strong fighter with absolutely no flab.

Oh the memories... :happyg:
I trained my horse to crap in the fields. I didnt know if this helped with fertilizer, but I wanted to train it to go somewhere besides the town square. Eventually I even trained it to eat what it expelled. :gring:

DisruptorX
05-09-2005, 07:58
I trained my creature to never poop. The first time he does it, you beat him 'till he collapses. That learns him real good!

Unfortunately, the game was too buggy to play. And this coming from someone who didn't mind the bugs in the Fallout series.....

Mikeus Caesar
05-09-2005, 16:05
My copy of BW never had any problems. And as for teaching your creature to poop in places, i taught him to poop on creches. I also taught him to play 'football' with the villagers... ~;)

Uesugi Kenshin
05-10-2005, 03:26
I think having your creature throw his feces is better, especially if he is a monkey. Ah so much like his tiny cousins....

Anyone else have your critter randomly hate an animal? I don't remember too well but I think mine started to randomly and after watching him kick horses for a while I pet him just to make sure it stuck as a good experience.

DisruptorX
05-10-2005, 16:11
Anyone else have your critter randomly hate an animal? I don't remember too well but I think mine started to randomly and after watching him kick horses for a while I pet him just to make sure it stuck as a good experience.

My "evil" Tiger would randomly run over and step on every pig he saw, killing them. Of course, he wouldn't eat people or children, like I wanted him to. He also could go about a minute without eating, so he was useless in war.

The worst part being that he was *supposed* to be an evil goat-demon, but when I saved and quit, the game CHANGED my sheep into another tiger. ~:confused:

As bad as my experiences with the first game were, you can bet that I'll be buying this the day after it comes out.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-11-2005, 03:37
Huh, I never had many bug problems, except when I killed every person in a village with fireballs on the third island and couldn't capture it because I didn't have my creature back. The remaining guy was diseased from the poisoned food I sent over and on fire, I tried putting him out with a rock and some fences. Didn't work. He couldn't die either....

Colovion
05-11-2005, 04:36
I hated how the villagers kept on "We need Home!" "We need food!" constantly. It was a great game, but that was so annoying that I didn't get past the 3rd island.

frogbeastegg
05-11-2005, 08:53
I hated how the villagers kept on "We need Home!" "We need food!" constantly. It was a great game, but that was so annoying that I didn't get past the 3rd island.
My abiding memory of the game. "We need food!" "We need wood!" We want children! Gah! I'm not getting involved in that last; do it yourselves! No matter what I did they were never satisfied; fill one whinging complaint and they always got another. I remember killing entire populations to shut that voice up, every last little person. The voice kept going. Endlessly. Even though no one was there ....

Nice to see some people had success with training their creature. I never really did. My ape (I wanted a horse! Gah! No fair on the limited avatar selection at the start!) ate a villager, so I slapped it around a bit. It ate another one, so I kicked it until it could barely stand. It then ate villages frequently for the rest of its life. :blankg: Nothing I did influenced its behaviour much; petting, slapping, casting rain spells on it, throwing huge rocks and trees at it ...

I started as a good god endured as good until half way into mission 3, got driven insane after a while, began a new campaign with a new creature and found that didn't help, then went on a rampage in a last ditch effort to shut the voice up and get the creature to stop treading on buildings.

As you might have guessed by now I didn't like the original game much. I was not expecting to have a fiddly RTS thrown in along with the heavily advertised creature, magic, god and flexible universe stuff. In addition to the voice and stupid creature it was too much; I lost interest.

I did like the two consciences though, the little guy on his cloud and the devil.

Productivity
05-11-2005, 09:11
frogbeatsegg's comment about the management of the villagers showed why multiplayer realyl shined in B&W. If you could find a friend who liked the opposite to you, it worked really well. In my case I loved managing the economy (I'm studying economics/human geography, so no suprises there really ~;) ), but didn't have much interest in the creature. Anyway, in multiplayer, I allways ran the village, and my friend dealt with the creature.

DisruptorX
05-11-2005, 16:26
Anyone else figure out the burning rock tactic? Here's how it worked, you found as many stones as you could, and placed them/threw them so that they were touching the AI's temple. Then you set them on fire with fireball. The funny part is that stones don't go out, they act as tinder. So basically, your enemy's entire kingdom would burn up and he would die. ~D

Naturally, the AI player wouldn't pick up the burning stones and move them.

Mikeus Caesar
05-11-2005, 21:22
Heehee, i did that too. btw, FrogBeastEgg, i feel your pain. I once destroyed an entire campaign, trying to kill the voice. I had made a huge city, named Pinewood, on Island 2, with about 3000 people living in it. And at the other end of the island there was another city, Napalos, with a population of 1500. Both of them had 5+ huge wonders that towered over the skyline. You can just imagine the mayhem and devastation that ensued when i started throwing fireballs on random houses. Huge fires spread across both cities, killing thousands and causing a fire visible from space. Then, once it was all razed to the ground, i gathered the few survivors and started the cities all over!!

The Wizard
05-11-2005, 21:39

Actually, I remember Marduk lightning extremed and megablast increased sheep... and horses. Damn sheep :furious3:

About the micromanagement of the game... I just had them build stuff and helped them... never bothered me. Second patch really decreased the annoying screaming though.

It did turn me evil... blasted villagers need some discipline... *zaps some villages with Lightning Extreme and Megablast Extreme*

I also always sacrificed kids to get some quick prayer power to pwn the annoying gods such as Lethys.

~Wiz

Uesugi Kenshin
05-12-2005, 02:30
I was a fairly nice evil god. I would have my creature eat people and I would sacrifice people, but I also helped my people become a strong village with good housing and food. My tactic for taking a town was bombardment with anything, hosing down fires and critter with nice or mean leash.

AntiochusIII
05-12-2005, 03:03
The game was the BEST game EVER!!!!

Well, second to Medieval...

Why do people like tiger? I'm a scholarly-Machiavellian god: kills when it benefits...and I got plenty of opportunity, for sure - since I consider burning, torturing, kidnapping people, destroying buildings, throwing fiery rocks, sending an evil green plague (the infected grain of land 2 - ah, my precious!) towards my rival gods' village a benefit. I prefer Ape, he learns fast, and the Ape's super attack is cool if you continuously use it...any creature will be down before they even touch you if used correctly. Oh, and he's damned fat! 100% fatness...

I like building up new villages from zero with and only with the stolen people of other villages (those woodcutters coming near or into my influence area...), then use that village as a base where my influence would expand enough for me to attack my new followers' home village easily.

Oh, and one of the best thing in that game, I think, is a "bug" that allows you to take over your AI friend's land with ease - and he will not stop you. Imagine as I went to impress Kazar's (sp? - the yellow god land 2) villagers, stealing his wood and food, and blatantly take the plans from his workshops! I even rebuild his closest village (a Norse one) after Nemesis took him down in homage to him - a truly, absolutely devoting and loyal (though not so capable) ally that Total War games will never have...

Thus, I wait for B&W 2 with anticipation.

Mikeus Caesar
05-13-2005, 18:27
Ehehe...when Lethys had destroyed Khazars village, i decided to finish the job. I threw the survivors into the sea, and razed the village to the ground. I had it cut off from the world for about 200 game years, before i decided to rebuild it as my brand new breadbasket of the land. I built about 40 fields, and before long, i had thriving villages. But then there was a storm, all the fields set on fire, and the people set on fire because they were in the fields. That ended up leading to a famine, which lead to my cities being destroyed for a second time, because nearly everyone starved to death.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-14-2005, 03:41
The tiger is meaner, stronger and cooler than the ape. Besides it normally eats flesh so eating people instead is not that big a leap. While the ape does not prefer to eat villagers.

Besides a tiger that refuses to eat horses and throws them into the sea when you give them to him?

The Wizard
05-14-2005, 15:03
Tigers are the best fighters. No wonder that Marduk was on top of the creature fight ladder for the duration of its existence. Oh, he had to fight other tigers, but he was simply the best. And yes, the Creature Combat League (CCL) required all ladder fights to be carried out without interference of the creatures' masters.

~Wiz

Uesugi Kenshin
05-15-2005, 06:07
Yeah Tigers are awesome, especially with the claws and all.

Anyone buy Creature Island?

Craterus
05-15-2005, 12:51
No I didn't, was it good?

I wasn't sure about it, I didn't even play BnW that much, so the expansion didn't interest me. Over the past week, I've felt a strange urge to reinstall BnW again.

Has anyone ever chosen the cow at the start? Is it completely crap?

Uesugi Kenshin
05-15-2005, 16:02
I have never used the cow from the beginning before, too focused on my Tiger and every now and then an Ape. I have had an urge to reinstall it as well, maybe I will get around to it sometime soon.

I never bought Creature Island, I heard some good things and some bad things...

DisruptorX
05-15-2005, 21:54
Creature Island is crap, its basically mario party or pokemon: stadium done Black and White style, that is, its a collection of lame mini-games.

DisruptorX
05-15-2005, 22:15
double post.

The Wizard
05-15-2005, 22:18
Creature Isle... it was only fun to see Naxo get his ass kicked by Marduk... without me having to do anything about it. ~D Same went for that croc that was protecting Eve...

And Tyke... don't start about him. You had to make him good, or else he would become a nightmare. An absolute nightmare. I didn't, since I was evil. I ended up having Marduk beat him up constantly so that he would be unconscious all the time.

So in the end I switched back to vanilla BnW. Not like CI added anything to the game gameplay-wise.

~Wiz

Uesugi Kenshin
05-16-2005, 03:01
I reinstalled B&W. Anyone know what the white mushrooms do? They do not seem toi be harmful but I have not noticed any specific effects after feeding a few to my critter. It is possible that they increase creature growth because in my skirmish game he has grown 18%.

BTW Skirmish growth and learning is persistent in the campaign game right?

Mikeus Caesar
05-16-2005, 18:37
I think learning and growth is persistent no matter which game mode you select.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-17-2005, 02:29
Ok cool, so my critter will be really good even though I am still in the prologue, and know water and heal!

I would like to revise the shroom color, they were a sort of pearly blue white.

Mikeus Caesar
05-17-2005, 22:08
Sorry to get your hopes up, but i just did some research and i retract my previous comment. Your creature gets cloned and put on Creature Isle, and then the two creatures will grow different ways e.g. in BW vanilla, he could be a good manevolent midget of a creature (in other words, useless), while in CI, he could be a hideous, evil, hellspawn of a creature who towers over even the greatest mountains (in other words, my creature, Tsanjing-Rhan)

Uesugi Kenshin
05-18-2005, 02:45
just a quick question: Is there any way to slim down my creature? I left him to his own devices for a bit too long and he chubbed out. I tried to beat him to stop him from eating for a while, but he died....

AntiochusIII
05-18-2005, 04:52
just a quick question: Is there any way to slim down my creature? I left him to his own devices for a bit too long and he chubbed out. I tried to beat him to stop him from eating for a while, but he died....It's very hard, but possible - take full control of him (in other words, left your entire village empires alone) and starve him again and again. Don't care if he dies, just starve him until he becomes thinner. It's very hard, though.

And I never bought Creature Isle, it doesn't interest me. I mean, what good is your creature if he can't destroy even a single village!?!

~D

Though I am a village empire builder, and sometimes destroys them myself. A Machiavellian god like me, though (my names in many forms includes from Allah to Jehovah to Shiva and Buddha ~;) )

dessa14
05-18-2005, 08:56
i chose the cow first up, very obediant and he beat the crap out of the wolf with no problems regardless of how much smaller he was
i taught my cow to go and feed foriegn villiges..
he is weaker then the tiger, never played with the ape so i wouldn't know
thanks,
dizzy

Uesugi Kenshin
05-19-2005, 03:06
In my current skirmish I have finished one god and am moving on the second god. I have conquered the center region that holds a mega-blast miracle allowing village. To use this over and over I have used enemy worshippers which are within grabbing distance to fuel my attacks. I killed the first god by just slamming his temple with it over and over until all his villages DIED (completely) and then his temple died. I then sent my fat but incredibly strong tiger to kill his creature and the god was wiped from the face of the island forever.

Mikeus Caesar
05-19-2005, 17:57
Has anyone ever played on the 1 v 1 skirmish map? I like to go for the little megablast, and make a town around it. Then i have complete control over, so whenever i'm bored, BOOM, i can blow stuff up. Heehee, it's the nuclear bomb of Black and White. It's fun to target an overloaded creche, and watch all the little kiddies get vaporised in the huge explosion, and also watch as pieces of the creche and nearby buildings go flying everywhere.

doc_bean
05-19-2005, 19:10
I noticed the original (+expansion) is being sold pretty cheaply over here (about 8€) . Are they still worth playing ?

Craterus
05-19-2005, 22:32
They're good games, you might just want to wait for BnW 2. Although, if you'd like to get the feel of the game, you should buy it.

Mikeus Caesar
05-20-2005, 21:54
Even though BW is old (i think it was released in 2001) it is still one hell of a good game, and should work quite well on computers of todays standards.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 04:20
Yeah, when I loaded it up I was stunned. I thought, "The game's graphics are this bad? But they were so good back in the day!?!" Still a great game, like Warcraft one, horrible graphics these days but still a great and classic game.

The Wizard
05-21-2005, 13:28
I don't think they're that bad, really. A bit lacking detail, but not bad. Far inferior to BnW2 of course, but hey, that's logic.

~Wiz

Mikeus Caesar
05-21-2005, 16:23
The graphics may be inferior to todays graphics, but they still look beautiful. Anyone ever gone to the top of a tall mountain, and watched the sunset? It's the closest i've ever got to watching a real one in some nice place...

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 17:16
I still respect how good the graphics once were, and they definately get the job done well; but I think they are pretty bad for today. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game though, it is still loads of fun for a while. After that I need a month long break or a few hours with a shooter, because it becomes too tedious.

DisruptorX
05-21-2005, 18:06
Yeah, when I loaded it up I was stunned. I thought, "The game's graphics are this bad? But they were so good back in the day!?!" Still a great game, like Warcraft one, horrible graphics these days but still a great and classic game.

There is so much wrong with this post, where to start?

1)2000 is not "back in the day" by any stretch of the imagination.

2)Black and White's graphics are passable. The environments are even rather good.

3)Warcraft 1's graphics aren't nearly as bad in the mac version. Also, the game got dated much quicker because warcraft II came out only two years later.

doc_bean
05-21-2005, 19:00
I still play medieval and CivIII, I'm not a graphics freak, unless they can really improve gameplay/atmosphere.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 19:27
Why is it so horrible? B&W IS back in the day in computer gaming terms. It is not that far back in the day, but five years is a long time for computer games. WI was a great game, and is still a classic.

AntiochusIII
05-21-2005, 19:37
1)2000 is not "back in the day" by any stretch of the imagination.It is for PC games, seriously.

2)Black and White's graphics are passable. The environments are even rather good.They are beautiful; natural. It may not be as smooth-edged or such as others, but it looks natural, nonetheless, and let you enjoy the "living world" of the game.

3)Warcraft 1's graphics aren't nearly as bad in the mac version. Also, the game got dated much quicker because warcraft II came out only two years later.It's still fun, though. But yeah, Warcraft II is much more "legendary." Besides, they let us wait like 5+ years after that for Warcraft III.

The Wizard
05-22-2005, 00:37
It's still fun, though. But yeah, Warcraft II is much more "legendary." Besides, they let us wait like 5+ years after that for Warcraft III.

Yes, but it was worth our sweet time. Just like about every Blizzard game.

~Wiz

Productivity
05-22-2005, 09:43
B&W IS back in the day in computer gaming terms.

I disagree. It may be back in the day from your perspective of computer games, for me it's semi-recent. Dune 2, Wolfenstein 3d and Nethack (Do you want your possessions identified?) are back in the day for me. You can probably find others who say a similar thing about my choices.

It all comes down to perspective.

doc_bean
05-22-2005, 12:11
I think back in the day refers to games that aren't played anymore (by most people), for me, the turning point is around '98.

Murmandamus
05-23-2005, 02:44
"The game's graphics are this bad? But they were so good back in it's day!?!"

Makes more sense. ~:)

Uesugi Kenshin
05-23-2005, 03:38
Sure it's day does make more sense but I type quickly and wods just come out...

Well the reason "back in the day" for me is 2000 and back is because most of my friends have not played much of anything before that. For example none of my friends have played Warcraft 2, Warcraft, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Close Combat, Wolfenstein 3D or Jedi Knight.

Efrem
05-23-2005, 10:09
2000 is back in the day at least as far computer gaming is concerned.

Mikeus Caesar
05-23-2005, 18:53
Considering how fast the computer game industry moves, i have to agree that 2000 is back in the day.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-23-2005, 23:35
Originally a double post, now a new post.

Yeah I called it back in the day because five years of advancement in computer gaming is equal to all the advancement made in the last 20 years in many fields.

doc_bean
05-25-2005, 09:19
Originally a double post, now a new post.

Yeah I called it back in the day because five years of advancement in computer gaming is equal to all the advancement made in the last 20 years in many fields.

Really ? With a lot of newer strategy games (cossacks, rise of nations,..) I feel like I'm playing a slightly better looking version of AoE, and if people my age, not much into gaming look over my shoulder when I play, they'll usually remark 'hey, you're playing AoE !'

A similar thing with shooters, pretty much every new one is trying to imitate half life, the one considered truly revolutionary (rather dull, if you ask me, but hey...), while playing newer shooters (half life 2) I can't help but feel that I've seen it all before, but now it just looks a little better.

the late 90s where also the time when everything started going 3D, and that was considered the future, sprite games were considered old fashioned, yet sprite games still come out.

Note that usually just play demo's of the games I mentioned, I don't have enough time and money to play that many games.

Of course, back in the day is very subjective, it's just that i don't think the games industry has evolved much the last 7-10 years, certainly compared to the 10y before that.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-25-2005, 20:50
True the games industry was developing faster back then, but in some newer areas there is still a lot of development. MMORPG's are still developing fairly quickly with newish ideas such as instancing, space battle and an FPS MMORPG being implemented. Also physics is making leaps and bounds, though having a gravity gun in every game would be horrible because it makes things far too easy.

Mongoose
05-25-2005, 21:02
"Well the reason "back in the day" for me is 2000 and back is because most of my friends have not played much of anything before that. For example none of my friends have played Warcraft 2, Warcraft, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Close Combat, Wolfenstein 3D or Jedi Knight."

I used to play jedi knight......that was a very good game for an FPS. It might not have doom 3's looks but it has someyhing that doom dosen't; a half way decent story line.

Mikeus Caesar
05-25-2005, 22:28
The way this thread is going, methinks there should be an Arena backroom, for flaming the consoles, arguing about what games are better and moaning about what is really back in the day.

Craterus
05-25-2005, 22:46
There could be a backroom on any topic though.

Some people could even argue that black rabbits are better than white rabbits, (which they are, of course) just for the sake of arguing!

frogbeastegg
05-25-2005, 23:34
"Well the reason "back in the day" for me is 2000 and back is because most of my friends have not played much of anything before that. For example none of my friends have played Warcraft 2, Warcraft, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Close Combat, Wolfenstein 3D or Jedi Knight."

I used to play jedi knight......that was a very good game for an FPS. It might not have doom 3's looks but it has someyhing that doom dosen't; a half way decent story line.
Hehe! Youngsters, the pair of you! I played Dark Forces, the game JK was a sequel to. I played older games before that, but DF will always have a special place in my heart. Those dark troopers were damnably creepy, and just as deadly. Mysteries of the Sith, now that was the pinacle of the series, to me. Neither of the more recent Quake 3 powered sequels have matched up.

Humph; now that's perhaps how you tell an old gamer - rambling stories. :pulls her tartan blanket closer about herself, and rocks in her chair while mumbling to herself about the old days, when games were games and we were all a lot tougher than these young whippersnappers who don't even know they are born, what with their save games and automatic checkpoints:

Mongoose
05-25-2005, 23:55
Hey frogbeastegg, have you read the books that the DF games were based on?

Uesugi Kenshin
05-26-2005, 03:08
Actually I did play Dark Forces and believe I still own a copy. I just played Jedi Knight and the expansion Mysteries of the Sith much more due to the multiplayer. I always played a Bounty Hunter with little force potential. Few Jedi could match me though, my carbonite gun got them almost every time. Funny to see them run after you and then freeze, after that just whack 'em!

Oh yeah and Nar Shadaa was the best map, with the seeking rail gun jumping off that balcony and dying in mid-air from sniper E-11, but killing your enemy with the seekers as well. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah gaming goodness at its finest!

frogbeastegg
05-26-2005, 09:46
Yes, I did read the three novels. I was very happy with their treatment of the JK story, but Dark Forces only had the beginning covered. Shame. They were actually based on the games, rather than the other way around. I hear that there was also a comic book version of the books.

The rail detonator; oh, the memories. I'll never forget the horror of realising you have been hit by a sticky, time delayed charge. Hehe! Running frantically about the map with a fizzing bomb stuck to your screen, trying to take a few enemies down with you, or at the least not get blasted off a death drop.

doc_bean
05-26-2005, 10:09
The way this thread is going, methinks there should be an Arena backroom, for flaming the consoles, arguing about what games are better and moaning about what is really back in the day.

This just friendly banter, it's not like anyone has any emotional (or other) investment in what is 'back in the days'. Everyone knows this is a subjective term.

Mongoose
05-26-2005, 17:41
"Yes, I did read the three novels. I was very happy with their treatment of the JK story, but Dark Forces only had the beginning covered. Shame. They were actually based on the games, rather than the other way around. I hear that there was also a comic book version of the books. "

Really? huh.

"The rail detonator; oh, the memories. I'll never forget the horror of realising you have been hit by a sticky, time delayed charge. Hehe! Running frantically about the map with a fizzing bomb stuck to your screen, trying to take a few enemies down with you, or at the least not get blasted off a death drop."

Don't forget what they do when you think your to close to them to be blown up; they just nail you on the head :dizzy2:

i remember the first time i tried to use those stupid sequencer charges...ouch.

Later i learned how to use them to take out those annoying AT-STs in level 6 (dark tower), mostly just for revenge. NOW WHO'S AFRAID OF WHO?!?!?! BUWHAHAHAHA :charge:

Uesugi Kenshin
05-27-2005, 03:16
Yeah and the mods for it were great, they are still available at massassi.net. I liked using the Ion Gun and Dark Trooper mods after I beat the game. The Dark Trooper Rifle was a rapid fire concussion rifle! The Ion Gun was a double barrelled fairly rapid fire high powered rifle.

doc_bean
06-01-2005, 17:07
Damn it, i wen tot the store to pick up a copy of B&W 1 and they were already sold out, the fastest I've ever known a budget game getting sold out there.

CrayolaCrayon
06-02-2005, 22:50
I used to have BW, until the CD broke in my CD drive. It broke into bits and ruined my CD drive, so i got a DVD drive to replace it, which is far superior!