PDA

View Full Version : Want a Challenge play the rebels.

The Stranger
05-04-2005, 11:50
Dude they are awesome, you start with a lot of money but believe me you won't have it long. the best infantry unit you have are
Naked Fanatics/Gaesatae
but you can't train them. the best trainable unit are Hoplites. fairly reliable in the early game, but later on just cannonfodder.

you have much cities, but there's no way you could hold on to them all. so you have to make a choise about wich cities you'll keep and build out. Oh btw did i mention that you can't build any barbarian unit.

only these

-militia hoplites
-hoplites
-peltasts
-peasants
-numidian skirmishers
-sparabara
-horse archers

in the north you have 6 amazon chariots, use them to your benefit.

(only with RTR)
you control 9 eles in the start of the game, use them well. they are all in the far east.

in the barbarian lands rebels will spawn fairly much, so make use of their ambush ability.

Viking
05-04-2005, 13:44
You can play rebels in RTR?!

Cool! ~:cool:
I think I have get that mod!

Mikeus Caesar
05-04-2005, 17:10
What he meant was that in RTR you have ele's in the east. I've been thinking about playing rebels for a while...

Rodion Romanovich
05-04-2005, 17:39
-sparabara

what are those?

Craterus
05-04-2005, 18:27
You can play rebels with game editing.

Dutch_guy
05-04-2005, 19:15
what are those?

In RTR those are the Eastern Infantry

Viking
05-04-2005, 19:32
You can play rebels with game editing.

In the same way as you unlock the other unplayable factions?

Craterus
05-04-2005, 19:54
Yes, the same way, you can play Senate too.

Viking
05-04-2005, 20:09
Already tried that. It`s full of bugs!
Hopes that`s not the case with the rebels.

pezhetairoi
05-05-2005, 05:52
Well, apart from the weird fact you can gain cities through poor public order management instead of sieges, nothing else seems buggy about it. But I don't like the idea of controlling so many cities at the start :-D

Conqueror
05-05-2005, 10:47
Can you build spies/assassins as rebels? Would be nice to sabotage all the temples/law/entertainment buildings in a city and then put like 10 spies in it to make it revolt ~D

Viking
05-05-2005, 12:39
Probably. I`ve trained diplomats.

But if you don`t cheat and give yourself an obscene amount money, you won`t be able to train those agents before you have come long into the game `cause of the real bad economy the rebels have.

The Stranger
05-05-2005, 16:11
the only bug with Rebels is so far"you can't unload your ships without crashing the game" you can chage it in

activision/RTW/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial campaign (the map for mods like RTR is different)

pezhetairoi
05-06-2005, 01:52
how exactly do you change it?

bubbanator
05-06-2005, 02:32
what happens if one of your cities tries to rebel against you? Can they?

Uesugi Kenshin
05-06-2005, 03:08
I have been meaning to play as the rebels, I guess I will try that now.

screwtype
05-06-2005, 03:20

LOL, good question.

pezhetairoi
05-06-2005, 05:27
I expect they could... if you let them ;-) 'I think they want rather more than that... they've brought a flag.' XD XD

Viking
05-06-2005, 11:18

No they can`t. That`s what`s so funny with `em! ~:cool:

You don`t have to build a single temple to make `em happy, only focusing on the military.

By the way Emperor, you forgot to add town militia to your list of trainable soldiers.
Perhaps you even can train libyan spearmen, haven`t checked that out.

The Stranger
05-06-2005, 12:38
oh ofcourse. you can somehow change culture (only in RTR). i don't know how. but in my game i suddenly changed from helleni to roman culture adding

velites
roman militia
hastati
equites and maybe more

also forgot to add ships, but you can only use them as a war navy

for pezethairoi

follow my instructions to get there and then

change rebels from unplayable to playable faction

The Stranger
05-06-2005, 12:43
Well, apart from the weird fact you can gain cities through poor public order management instead of sieges, nothing else seems buggy about it. But I don't like the idea of controlling so many cities at the start :-D

don't worry, after a few turns you're down from 30/40 to 10. if you play it right, you put your soldier together (also peasants can be very useful) and put them in some "strongholds" you build out these cities and try too keep those. if i were you i wouldn't keep any city with the barbaric culture but make them ambush armies (cuz sofar i couldn't train any barbarian unit not even peasants)

you also run out of money quick so plundering cities is the only option.

The Stranger
05-06-2005, 12:45
Can you build spies/assassins as rebels? Would be nice to sabotage all the temples/law/entertainment buildings in a city and then put like 10 spies in it to make it revolt ~D

you can build spies and diplomats and i asume you can build assasins too.

but i would look out cuz you run out of money quick so train them in the early game if you want them

The Stranger
05-06-2005, 12:50
some tips

1. combine your forces into strong armies
2. focus on military most
3. make use of bridges and ambushes cuz the AI sucks there
4. take advantage of you're overwhelming forces at the start
5. make use of you special units (6 amazons and in RTR also 9 eles)
6. use spies to cause a revolt in cities
7. smile and sing the marsaillese