PDA

View Full Version : Question: changing the spear of phalanx

wlesmana
05-07-2005, 17:52
No matter what kind of weapon I use as primary weapon, if the unit has phalanx, it uses the long spear. Is there any way to modify the look of this spear? It appears to override any primary weapon the unit has.

Rodion Romanovich
05-07-2005, 18:09
Have you checked how the spear warband and greek hoplites are described in export_descr_unit.txt or whatever the file is called?

Laridus Konivaich
05-07-2005, 20:09
Check the header in export_descr_units.txt, it gives the possible attributes. For phalanx units there are: short_pike spear long_pike and very_long_pike, I believe. Anyway, this give the unit different lengths of spears - the default that most phalanx units use is spear

wlesmana
05-08-2005, 10:11
Yea, I know about that.
I'd like to change the graphic, not just the length of the spear. For instance, giving them a very long trident instead of the default spear. Is this possible or limited by the engine?

Thanks for the help!

Laridus Konivaich
05-08-2005, 16:14
Giving them a different shaped weapon, such as a trident, would require changing the model in 3dsmax

LAca
05-08-2005, 17:47
The phalanx unita use an external .cas file for the spear model (data/models/weapon_hoplite_pike_high.cas and low).
The primary weapon model part (from the unit's .cas file) is shown under some circumstances when not used (sometimes on the walls and outside the battle area when marching. Inside the battle area and on the ground (not on the walls) you see the external weapon model. You can edit that model (it worked for me). The texture is used for 2 models - the high poly model and the low poly model for the longer distances.

wlesmana
05-08-2005, 18:31
Aaah, got it. Thanks, LAca.
Damn, it's a bit of a hassle now since if I edit the .cas of file ALL phalanx would get it :/

LAca
05-08-2005, 20:46
Unfortunately...
I really dont understand why they had to do it this way...