PDA

View Full Version : Gta

ichi
05-12-2005, 05:21
I got bored and fired up GTA3, which I purchased when it first came out, played until my eyeballs twitched, and then forgot about when I became totally immersed in Shogun then Medievel.

I won't make anyone endure my feelings about Rome, but lets just say that lately I've been having fun with Barocca's Shogun mod for VI.

I started GTA at the beginning and played without any cheats, and worked my way through the missions until I unlocked all of the islands.

Now when I get stressed or bored I wander the streets of Liberty City reeking havoc and having a blast (literally) doing all of the mindless mayhem that the game offers.

In real life I'm remarkably well behaved. I pay my taxes and keep my yard nice, try hard to keep everybody happy, and generally play by the rules.

But let me tell you, the total freedom that GTA3 offers, along with the fabulous and hilarious soundtack, make this the best console game ever.

I never really picked up on the Miami Vice edition, and I haven't tried San Andreas.

I think its just the sheer mindlessness, very existential, and the complete lack of any consequences that make it so relaxing.

ichi ~:cheers:

viermaaldomi
05-12-2005, 08:20
I agree that GTA is a very cool console game. I have played Vice City for hours and hours even though I usually don't like to play games of this type (it was my brother who bought it). You should definitely try San Andreas , it's got a huge map and there are some nice new features.

Navaros
05-12-2005, 08:41
i disagree that GTA 3 or Vice City has freedom. it's all very linear

yes you can kill a bunch of random NPCs that don't do anything but walk around the city (and die when you shoot them)...but who cares? in my view, that's fun for about 5 minutes. after that it's just boring and pointless.

yes you can steal whatever car you want...but most of them are more or less the same, so that too is not much of a big deal.

the order in which you do things in GTA 3 or Vice City have zero effect on the gameworld in any way whatsoever. that's not freedom. that's just the illusion of freedom.

very few games really give you freedom. off the top of my head, Deus Ex is the only example of one that does. in that game your choices actually affect the gameworld itself.

Craterus
05-12-2005, 19:00
I still think GTA series is the best console series ever! I've got GTA 3, GTA:VC and GTA:SA!! They are all great.

The Wizard
05-12-2005, 19:14
Can't really wait until GTA San Andreas gets released for the PC...

While Vice City remains the most stylish, San Andreas is obviously the coolest (played it on the PS2 already). Or should I say phattest? ~;)

~Wiz

DisruptorX
05-12-2005, 23:13
very few games really give you freedom. off the top of my head, Deus Ex is the only example of one that does. in that game your choices actually affect the gameworld itself.

No offense, but Deus Ex is just as linear as GTA is... Sure, there are "multiple paths", but in reality that translates to "go through the air ducts or shoot the guards"

Now Fallout 2, that is a truly non-linear game. There is a tutorial that you must play, and a condition to beat the game. Everything else is up to you.

ichi
05-13-2005, 02:27
Now Fallout 2, that is a truly non-linear game.

does it have a baseball bat and a flamethrower?

cause if it does I might try it

ichi :bow:

Kekvit Irae
05-13-2005, 03:29
does it have a baseball bat and a flamethrower?

cause if it does I might try it

Flamethrower, yes. Baseball bat, no. It does have the sledgehammer though.

DisruptorX
05-13-2005, 04:55
Flamethrower, yes. Baseball bat, no. It does have the sledgehammer though.

Apparantly you can find a baseball bat, but its a one of a kind weapon.

Fragony
05-13-2005, 08:46
I never got the GTA thing. I have San Andreas and hate it, a bunch of morons that can't talk english, drive some, shoot stuff. Now maffia was also drive some and shoot stuff, but that one I liked.

dessa14
05-13-2005, 08:57
the game i liked was driver, purely for the challenge of escaping from the police, and the cool voices and what they said when you had a mission, "Man, we got this superfly car, that need fixing, drop right by and take it"
now thats some awesome writing.
thanks,
dizzy

Efrem
05-13-2005, 10:54
Morrowind for freedom and Vamp Masqaurade for truly affecting the gameworld.

DisruptorX
05-13-2005, 18:52
Morrowind for freedom and Vamp Masqaurade for truly affecting the gameworld.

Disagree on both counts, there. Morrowind is exactly the same thing as GTA is! Except you don't get cars, and have to go everywhere on foot. Granted, it has a better history and much better art design, but it is the same structure. The story missions in Morrowind are more boring than GTA's are, by far.

Bloodlines is a great game, but its no Fallout or Torment. Compared to those games, Bloodlines is as shallow as a puddle. Troika was made up of ex-Black Ilse members, so its not suprising that it has the same great writing and humour as the previous mentioned games, but it falls short of them.

Mikeus Caesar
05-17-2005, 22:14
the game i liked was driver, purely for the challenge of escaping from the police, and the cool voices and what they said when you had a mission, "Man, we got this superfly car, that need fixing, drop right by and take it"
now thats some awesome writing.
thanks,
dizzy

Bah, Driver 3 is utter crap (pardon my french). I was reading Personal Computer Weekly magazine (delivered once a month) and was reading their review of Driver 3. They usually give even the dullest or worst of games fairly okay marks, but for D3, they gave 1/5 stars. They say their main problem is the controls. After all, it's the usual WASD for moving, and mouse for turning your character, but for some unbelievable reason, the fire button is numpad 5. Now, unless we have 3 arms, or intend to use our tongue to play, how are we meant to do that? Unless of course the developers are aliens with 3 arms and extendo tongues who plan to make crappy games and destroy the game industry as we know, leading to the destruction of civilisation as we know it!!!

DisruptorX
05-18-2005, 00:00
Bah, Driver 3 is utter crap (pardon my french). I was reading Personal Computer Weekly magazine (delivered once a month) and was reading their review of Driver 3. They usually give even the dullest or worst of games fairly okay marks, but for D3, they gave 1/5 stars. They say their main problem is the controls. After all, it's the usual WASD for moving, and mouse for turning your character, but for some unbelievable reason, the fire button is numpad 5. Now, unless we have 3 arms, or intend to use our tongue to play, how are we meant to do that? Unless of course the developers are aliens with 3 arms and extendo tongues who plan to make crappy games and destroy the game industry as we know, leading to the destruction of civilisation as we know it!!!

Wow, it was developed by the same people as the N64 controller!

~D

Lehesu
05-18-2005, 02:40
Anybody who likes GTA should seriously consider purchasing Mercenaries (for console, anyway).

ichi
05-19-2005, 01:27
Thanks Lehesu , hopefully I'll like it as much as I love soy!

Lehesu
05-19-2005, 01:47
Thanks Lehesu , hopefully I'll like it as much as I love soy!

Mmmmm.....sooooyy....gaaahhhh....

ichi
05-19-2005, 05:59
I have become particularly fond of placing a dab of wasabi in my soy dish and stirring it up with my hashi (chopsticks for the barbarians :bow: ).

mmm . . . sweaty

ichi ~:cheers: