PDA

View Full Version : Medieval Buildings on Viking Map?

CountMRVHS
05-18-2005, 12:16
As the title says, I'd like to figure out how I can get buildings from the full European Medieval campaign to work on the Viking-era map of the British Isles. I'm working on a mod that would ideally go from the reign of Edward I (1274 I think, right?) to the end of the Wars of the Roses, and I'd prefer not to have to deal with the old anglo-saxon style drinking halls and such.

I know I can get the medieval-era units working, because in the VikingUnit txt file they're all there along with the Viking-specific units. That's how I was able to create new units for some of my previous mods taking place in the earlier Dark ages; I'd just take, say, the Spanish Jinetes, change their name, and voila.

But because the VikingBuild txt file is ONLY Viking-specific buildings, I'm not sure if there's a way I can somehow "bring over" the Medieval-era buildings from the CrusaderBuild txt file.

Any ideas?

CountMRVHS

R'as al Ghul
05-18-2005, 12:53
Have you read through the modding forum?
There're a lot of excellent guides.

You could of course create a new build_prod file, which is quite difficult.
The easier solution for your problem would be to change the graphics.
I take it that you want the Medieval building icons,
which appear in the review panel, to show up in Viking campaign?

Well they're stored under campmap\review_panel\Buildings.
They're .bif-files. Look under the Tools section of the modding forum if
you don't know what a bif file is and how to open it. You will need the program readbif.

When you swap the image of VikingInn.bif for Inn.bif, the Medieval Inn should show on the Viking Map. Since all the icons have the same dimensions it may also work to just change their names. Make backups of the files, first.

However, I' recommend to download the CA-Tools from the files-section and browse through all the bif-files with readbif to learn where the files are stored and which is what.

R'as

CountMRVHS
05-19-2005, 12:21
Thaks for the reply, R'as.

I think I'll need to do some more reading before I get into changing graphics -- my modding experience at this point basically just consists of what can be done through Gnome. Couple that with the fact that it's been awhile since I did my last mod, and it turns out I'm quite rusty!

I think for now, the most important thing is for me to make sure the basic campaign works -- changing a couple of the faction names, giving them the right lands, changing their leaders & heroes, and making different units available to them. I think I can live with that (especially since this is just a mod I intend to play myself). Afterwards, I may delve into the realm of graphics.

CountMRVHS