PDA

View Full Version : ?Whats the strangest/ unusual battle you have ever had playing RTW

King Arthur
05-20-2005, 14:36
. Hi. the org. ~:)
this is the first thread ive started as a .org member.

And i was just wondering what was the strangest battle the other members have had. ~:confused:
This could be because of ,location ,units , a seige, whatever

I had a very strange battle envolving a 600 strong Bruttii army vs 400 or so Pontus chariots. :charge:

Maybe other users have experianced a similar battle and didnt find it so strange , but i was so used to facing well balanced opposing armies , that i found it difficult beating the chariot army, as my army was based around cohorts and had little cavalry so the pontus chariots could encirle me very easily , as i lacked any mobility

so what have other users experianced as strange/ unusual battle?
or have others experianced one simlilar to mine ? and how they coped with it?

The Stranger
05-20-2005, 15:30
the strangest, must have been on a bridge. neither side of the army could cross it. i won the battle cuz i defended

Kekvit Irae
05-20-2005, 15:59
A river battle where both sides were on opposite sides of the river, with no bridge, and no units capable of crossing. I eventually won because I was using Forester Warbands. I didnt need to cross.

vale
05-20-2005, 16:12
That seem to be right with the chariots beating your cohort, my strangest battle is that I made up a legion entirely of horse man cavalry of all types that I can recruit even mercenary too. Anyway been rumble in spain and other place because they are fast, they won't quite a lot of battle for me though :)
Once they beat an entire army of spain with more then 2500+ it is two combine into one.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 04:00
Bridge battle as well, bit of a trend here. I was on one side with phalanxes, legionaries, Companions and Cataphracts as the Seluecids. My enemy attacked from both sides. I had to use some of my phalanxes as fast response units by taking them out of phalanx. Oh yeah the enemy also used two onagers which was a rare treat, they butchered my bridge phalanxes. But I eventually won.

Marquis of Roland
05-21-2005, 05:55
I had a strange battle, actually it was an idiotic/drunken battle on my part.

I had a scythed chariot army roaming around my provinces cleaning up rebels. Met a sizeable reb army on a bridge. Well, to make a long story short, I went though a six-pack and more by that time, and dumbass me ordered all my chariots to charge across the bridge.

To my chagrin they all fell off the bridge and died. Whats wrong with these chariot drivers, I coulda drove across that bridge in the drunken state that I was in at the time.

And the reason I didn't order my chariots to stop crossing the bridge was because I passed out halfway through the battle and woke up to a "crushing defeat" and half-forgot how I got it ~:cheers:

Somebody Else
05-21-2005, 06:00
A protracted siege type thing in RTR, every turn I assaulted a Macedonian town, complete with full stack garrison. I had a ballista unit, some merc sarmation cavalry and a few peltasts and archers. I'd wander up to the walls, sling all my assorted missiles over, then retreat to the ships. Took me several turns, but I got my town back - without having to send in an army.

Oaty
05-21-2005, 07:13
Faction leaders defeating a 20 stack army all by himself

IliaDN
05-21-2005, 12:10
Bridge battles.
Sometimes soldiers go into water and get themselves sunk , and they do it not when routing , but just during a fight - for their own fun , I guess!

The Stranger
05-22-2005, 09:24
A river battle where both sides were on opposite sides of the river, with no bridge, and no units capable of crossing. I eventually won because I was using Forester Warbands. I didnt need to cross.

huh sounds like mine, was it in spain

vastator
05-22-2005, 16:31
The Gauls had my Julii faction heir besieged in Massilia. I sent a relief army to attack the Gauls, but they had reinforcements of their own. This led to my relief army facing the Gallic besiegers across a bridge. The Massilia garrison was coming up behind them, while their reinforcements were coming up behind me! I had to fight my way across the bridge against the Gallic right wing while the AI garrison dealt with the rest of them; fortunately the faction heir was a 10-star attacker and routed the Gauls easily. I then had to wheel my tired troops about and fight my way back across the bridge to recapture my original starting point! :dizzy2: It was a bit hectic, but victory was total. ~D

IliaDN
05-22-2005, 16:44
wow

Come Together
05-22-2005, 17:52
Probably when I was really bored, I built a full stack of pigs and had them face 2 warbands. Needless to say, I lost, bad, but it was entertaining while it lasted.

phred
05-22-2005, 23:38
The Gauls had my Julii faction heir besieged in Massilia. I sent a relief army to attack the Gauls, but they had reinforcements of their own. This led to my relief army facing the Gallic besiegers across a bridge. The Massilia garrison was coming up behind them, while their reinforcements were coming up behind me! I had to fight my way across the bridge against the Gallic right wing while the AI garrison dealt with the rest of them; fortunately the faction heir was a 10-star attacker and routed the Gauls easily. I then had to wheel my tired troops about and fight my way back across the bridge to recapture my original starting point! :dizzy2: It was a bit hectic, but victory was total. ~D

I had that exact same battle setup, except that the Gauls defending the bridge decided they wanted to fight in the nearby woods, so they sprinted for the woods and my AI reinforcements crushed them (without losing their general). All I had to do was defeat the Gaul reinforcements coming up behind me.
It was quite disappointing as I was expecting an epic bridge battle.

pezhetairoi
05-24-2005, 04:46
...a Julii-Germanic battle involving 7 units of hastati, 2 generals and 2 Equites, against, to my complete surprise, one spear warband and 12 of screeching women, god knows for what. Took them apart like a wind through dead leaves.

The Stranger
05-24-2005, 16:25
i had one strange battle. the battle actually wasn't that weird. the weird thing was my wall suddenly had a hole in it, while it was intact before the siege started. it was to be a slaughter (it eventually was) cuz i had 10 foresters, 5 chosen swords and a king and heir. my chosens and generals holded of 3000 soldiers bfore breaking, the foresters that just arived, held of the rest

it was 1800 vs 6500. i had 800 casualties and i killed 4500 men

Viking
05-24-2005, 18:55
the weird thing was my wall suddenly had a hole in it, while it was intact before the siege started.

Sapping points?

The Stranger
05-24-2005, 19:14
no, the hole was in it before the battle started but i didn't noticed. they had no soldiers on that side, but move them to it when i started the battle

mfberg
05-24-2005, 20:01
Sending the Greek Faction leader to attack Corinth all by himself. He wins against the sally force of 3 phalanx, 1 archer, 2 lancers (and after charging through the boiling oil. Flanking a phalanx using only one unit was very strange.

mfberg

The Stranger
05-25-2005, 19:25
1500 legionaries vs 4500 power peasants (gold chevs and gold upgrades) it ends in 4500 kills vs 10 casualties (note i had silver chev veterans) pretty unusual

El Guiménez
05-25-2005, 19:41
Playing as the Greeks I captured Londinium, which had big stone walls at the time. I left 2 armoured hoplite unites and my siege units behind and took the other units further into the UK, when an enemy force that had been hiding in the woods attacked Londinium. I used the onagers to blast a hole in my own walls and finish off the attackers. Fire onagers are effective against a packed crowd trying to storm through a hole in the wall :D

pezhetairoi
05-26-2005, 02:15
you can blast holes in your own walls? i didn't know that...how?

[seminoles]shadow
05-26-2005, 03:33
i had 2 groups of peasants in a city and the opponent who was besieging had a full army of cohorts and cavalry plus reinforcements. there was a hole in the wall so i set my 2 peasants up there, the enemy immediately ran into the hole in the wall but as they came in they routed and it happened with every single one of them. and they didn't stop routing and ran all the way off the map.

IrishMike
05-26-2005, 03:59
I had a battle in Eygpt where they had a various mixture of troops and calv that was around 700 strong, compaired to my 80 men as the romans. After 20 minutes of sitting around and nobody moving, they walked off the map and I won.

El Guiménez
05-26-2005, 16:47
you can blast holes in your own walls? i didn't know that...how?

Aim for an opponent close to the walls. If your onagers miss enough shots you'll shoot a hole in the wall.

pezhetairoi
05-27-2005, 07:30
...ooh. That's pretty rough... O_o

nameless
05-27-2005, 16:51

Massila seems weird.

As the Julii I sent a small force of Two generals, velite, and three Hastatii to capture Massila so I could build a fort to keep Gauls out of my turf. My movement meter stopped short of Massila(Needed to capture it first) so the next turn a group of Gauls attacked me. No biggy, mostly light warbands, easy prey for my Generals. After that battle another small army led by a general attacked me(Still same turn) but before that the AI parked a general himself(Just him) next to my flank and attacked. Again, I had two generals so I used my velite in unison with them to kill the flanking general. They did it fast enough to help my main force deal with the other threat. Right after that battle then ANOTHER Gaul army attacked me, again similar army layout. After that one ANOTHER Gaul army led by a general attacked. This repeated like 2 more times. They just kept coming! :dizzy2: SEnding wave after wave after me. :furious3: By the time I was done I had lost nearly over half of my army but the Massila garrison which also came out to attack me was wasted and so abandoned so all I had to do was move in to take over and quickly built a fort on the bridge into Gaul......and I did it fast enough before yet ANOTHER FREAKIN Gaullic army moved in.

Where does the AI get all of these critters?

Aesculapius
05-29-2005, 08:54
My strangest battle has to be:

Me (Scipii): 1 unit of Arcanes and 1 inexperienced general
Senate: 3 units of assorted heavy infantry (principes or so)
Ground: largely open and flat, with a wheatfield at one end.
Game: RTW 1.2 unmodded, unit size small.

This was a long, slow cat-and-mouse. I'd saved before first-time round, and got comprehensively routed when I tried to take all three enemy units head-on. So I reloaded and tried again.... and again. Third-time lucky.

The successful strategy relied on my units being faster, and the AI being thick. It involved hiding the Arcani somewhere, and using the cavalry to tempt one or two infantry units away - i.e. divide and conquer. The AI would usually head for the Arcani, one or two units would get distracted by the cavalry, the Arcani would pop up and say 'Boo!' to the isolated unit, and (with careful timing) the cavalry would smack them in the back of the head. Then I just had to try and finish that unit off before the other infantry caught up. And then start again; and finish it all with the clock ticking.

OK, so I cheated with the reloads, but it was great fun, and very different from the usual frenetic-paced battle.

Honourable mentions to my army of 12 units of wardogs (and nothing else) that shredded a full stack of Spanish heavy infantry; and my battle against Egypt where my first cast of the onager was greeted by the satisfying crunch of a squashed chariot and the words "The enemy General has been killed!". Currently working on an artillery-only army - should be interesting (especially against cavalry...... :scared: )

King Arthur
05-29-2005, 20:35

woah: ~:eek: oaty that seems the strangest battle ive ever seen or heard.
could i have more details what faction was the leader from and what were the numbers involved .
if you remember ~:confused:

Conqueror
05-30-2005, 13:40
My strangest battle: Seleucids (me) vs Julii in Croton (or was it Tarentum?). I had 2 archers, 2 cataphracts and 16 peasants. Julii had a full stack of mostly legionaries and pre-Marian leftover troops. But they also had praetorian cohorts. They seiged the city and built Tower and ladders. I placed my archers and lots of peasants on the walls, while keeping my cataphracts on the street near the gatehouse. My archers burned the siege tower with fire arrows but a praetorian cohort gets ladders set and start climbing. I quickly get my archers down from the walls. The praetorians, as expected, begin murdering my peasants in the hundreds. My archers shoot them from the street level (never mind the friendly fire, those peasants are dead one way or the other anyway...)

The praetorians fight their way to the gatehouse and all the other romans gathered near the gate rush in all at once. As soon as the first few step through the gate, my cataphracts charge them. The fight becomes a standstill as my cats with their AP maces are giving the romans (now all mixed into a chaotic flowing mass by the gate) a good whacking. I notice that the praetorians are still fighting my peasants and they have now moved past the gatehouse. I quickly exploit this opportunity and send a reserved peasant unit to capture the gates. What happens then is that the burning oil starts working again, and the romans packed by the gate begin dying horribly. After a few hot showers they have suffered immense casualties and the gate closes, so I can pull back my cats and let them rest. Then I send every single remaining pesants after the praetorians. The walls are painted red in peasant blood but the praetorians are eventually destroyed. Then I send my cats out to rout the remaining romans.

Ab Urbe Condita
05-31-2005, 08:06
playing as armenia, I attacked a pontic army of equal number. Obviously I had HA's while they had pontic lights/heavies. there was a mountain on the battlefield with such a steep slope that when the pontic cavalry climbed up it they outranged me severely. I ended up having to retreat.

Armoryk
05-31-2005, 15:03
My strangest one so far was off in the hinterlands, Campus Sarmatae. I (Brutii) had managed to get an army out there of veteran cavalry and mercenary horse archers, and one infantry unit I brought up from the Black Sea in order to hold the ram (Senate mission to take the place, and the cavalry was my raiding band...couldn't send more infantry because I was fully embroiled in war with Pontus, Selucid, and Parthia at the time).

By the time my raiders reached the the Scythian capital there were less than 20 units per card, and only about 8-10 cards (had taken on two nearly full stacks of Scythian Generals headed back to the capital, and there was no where to retrain and still make the capital on time). I was outnumbered by about 100 men going in, and laid seige. I atacked after the first turn building a ram, and all my men except for 11 cavalry in my General's card and 18 in a Roman Cavalry were killed or routed trying to take the gates (damn axemen). I got those two loose inside the city and ran them around somehow picking off units one by one, till I had just the warlord on the hill, with 28 heavy cavarly of his own. For whatever reason he decided to just sit there while I rested and flanked him with my two units. I charged in when fresh and somehow took him out (guess it helped that my General was cruelly scarred by that point). I had 5 in the General's card and 11 in the Cavalry by the end.

The Stranger
05-31-2005, 15:06
being outnumbered by 100 men is nothing. or are you playing on small.

Armoryk
05-31-2005, 15:10
I wasn't claiming I was vastly outnumbered, just that it was strange, because I thought I had lost it when I blew it at the gates, but still managed to eek out a win by running the remaining enemy in circles through their own city.

Lancome
05-31-2005, 18:40
I know this would be unbelieveable but when I was in my Scipii Campaign against Egypt the Egyptians attacked me on the bridge near Alexandria. They came with 6 units of Pharohs archers, 2 pharohs spearmen, and a family member. Even though I won the battle thx to Roman Cavalry :charge: , it was pretty strange that Egypt attacked me w/ a bunchfull of archers w/o enough supporting ~:grouphug: units.

The Stranger
05-31-2005, 18:48
they do it all the time in my campaign. nothing weird but rather annoying

Sextus the mad
06-20-2005, 08:40
the strangest battle ive ever fought was against........my own general!! In campaign map i was attacked by the carthaginians and as usual i went into the battlemap. it was a faily easy battle and when all the carthiginians were routing i noticed that my legionary cohort i controlled was being attacked on its unit card. i went to their location only to see that my own generals unit was attacking it!! i couldnt figure out what was happining so i told my legionarys to pull back. They did this and then my generals unit procedded into the middle of the map and ran around in circles!? after aboout 20 secs of this the victorie scroll came up and i never had any problems. has this happend to anyone else?

The_678
06-20-2005, 08:44
That's nuts. Was your general crazy or anything?

Ice
06-20-2005, 14:55
I've Routed a 2000 man army of Bruti Romans with one group of Spartan Hoplites. The damn AI is just so smart, they try to cram everyone through the open gate.

Craterus
06-20-2005, 16:52
I've Routed a 2000 man army of Bruti Romans with one group of Spartan Hoplites. The damn AI is just so smart, they try to cram everyone through the open gate.

Replace the Romans with Persians and you've got Thermopylae...

The battles before the traitor showed the Persians the way around the pass.

My strangest battle was myself losing 5x the enemy in a siege assault. The worst battle I have ever fought. A disgrace.

ScionTheWorm
06-20-2005, 17:14
Was the selucids, taken whole east I began on north africa. When I came to carthage, scipii was there waiting for me. I entered a battle against a normal-3000 soliders roman army (no cav though) with mine consisting of around 1000 soliders. Only used my armoured elephants (2 units I think); they chrushed everything, routed them, and then I took them with my cavalry. Result: 3000 dead romans, 0 of mine. Hated using elephants after that..

BrutalDictatorship
06-20-2005, 19:47
That seem to be right with the chariots beating your cohort, my strangest battle is that I made up a legion entirely of horse man cavalry of all types that I can recruit even mercenary too. Anyway been rumble in spain and other place because they are fast, they won't quite a lot of battle for me though :)
Once they beat an entire army of spain with more then 2500+ it is two combine into one.

What is "horse man cavalry"...??

BrutalDictatorship
06-20-2005, 19:49

no way lmao...on what battle difficulty? was this in a campaign or custom?

go into more detail...this one is amazing heh :charge:

CMcMahon
06-20-2005, 20:04
What is "horse man cavalry"...??

Centaurs, maybe?

Rodion Romanovich
06-20-2005, 21:30
no way lmao...on what battle difficulty? was this in a campaign or custom?

go into more detail...this one is amazing heh :charge:

It must be easy or medium. But with two generals you can defeat a 20 unit stack even on very hard (provided that the enemy has little or no cavalry and definitely no chariots or elephants), because you can demoralize by charging from two directions - however it requires that you time every little charge perfectly, one or two mistakes is enough to lose.

Muska Burnt
06-20-2005, 23:19
i was greece i had 1500 troops mainly hoplite and one unit of armored hoplite i was going agaisn't around 500 rebels i had to withdraw only because the rebels had a few unit of militia hoplite but they were literaly on top of a huge mountain seriously around 65 to 75 degree angle after they were killing a hoplite unit 10 guys every 2 seconds or so i quit and just came back and simulated it yes i did try to flank with cavarlay but they were just on the perfect moutain when i started the battle i couldn't see them they were so hi up

BrutalDictatorship
06-20-2005, 23:36
I will have some contributions to this soon...a few months back with my Brutii campaign I had tons of great battles...but now I'm doing a Germania campaign using RTR 5.4.1 (emperor campaign difficulty, preatorian battle, hardest most realistic settings available) and THIS is the way the game was meant to be played. I recommend this mod and these settings to anyone who considers themselves a "hardcore" player. You'll love it.

:duel:

Spetulhu
06-21-2005, 17:15
One of the strange things I've seen has to do with sieges. The AI often puts it's General on the walls when defending, and I like using sap points. My Roman army was trying to take a Greek city on Sicily and the sappers went to work as usual. They reach the wall close to the main gates where the enemy General is staring at my army and the walls start to crumble. For some reason the Greeks just stood there, even when soldiers started falling to their death. Their leader fell to his death and I didn't get to kill him! :furious3:

Mongoose
06-21-2005, 17:20
Once, i walked into a city of 7,000 (The AI had left it with any protection) with a unit of gallic mercs (There were only 6/240 still alive) and killed off the entire city :devil: