PDA

View Full Version : Online Battle Glitch!

Obake
11-06-2000, 06:24
Anyone else have this hppen to them?

Last night I was playing Kurosawa Shimazu on Totomi (damn fine player by the way).

It was a competitive match and I was attacking. We spent the better part of half an hour shooting guns at each other and trying to route them. I had managed to route two of his three guns off the board along with a severely depleted unit of YS. I had also managed to wipe out a full unit of YC. For his part, Kurosawa had managed to trash one of my gun units, take out about half my YC, and half my archers were out of arrows.

I was in the process of shifting my troops to the right where the ground was flatter in preparation to get into some h-t-h and finish him off (my interpetation only), when I dropped. Needless to say I was QUITE upset! When we got back to the chat, i asked Kurosawa what had happened and he agreed that I had dropped.

Here's where it gets interesting! I went to check my honor later, and noticed that Kurosawa had been given the Win! My log file bears this out as well. There was no timer on the game, so that can't be it.

Is it possible that EA has implemented a new script on the server in an effort to hurt escapers? If this is the case, better make sure you don't drop 'cuz it will also kill you!

I'd like to see if anyone else has run into this problem. For myself, I will be contacting Shogun to find out and if possible, have this blemish removed!

Obake

Rob
11-06-2000, 07:01
Hmm... the problem is that this is designed to prevent the following scenario:

You host a game, I join. You beat me to a bloody pulp but just before my entire army routs, I disconnect from the Internet. This is EXACTLY the same as ESCaping, except the client does it instead of the host.

In this scenario, the client player can basically terminate the battle if it's not going well. The host will not get his/her win.

Basically, when you drop, you lose. But if this were not the case, there would be a whole lot of people disconnecting or breaking their connection in some other way right before a defeat. It's tough if you drop because of a bad connection (my ISP automatically disconnects me every two hours) but it means that cheaters get what they deserve.

It would make a bit more sense if they addressed the ESC problem first though.

AFAIK when a client drops the host always gets the win (except in 2v2 or larger games, where the entire team would have to drop) and this is the way it has always been. Maybe there was a time when this did not happen? If so it was before I started playing.

Widda
11-06-2000, 07:03
Once again, it seems, I also on saturday attacking in Totomi dropped. The fight was underway but neither had taken a casualty and out I went. I was most upset to notice that I was rewarded a loss for what was definiately a null fight.

How odd is this thou. Waiting in defense. Miles away from the front. Not a bad guy in sight. Then, BANG one of my muskies goes off. Damn loser shot himself. He was in the rear rank, only spearmen behind him. Just UD'd ( Unlawful Discharge ) and done himself in. Anyone else seen that???

Widda.

[This message has been edited by Widda (edited 11-06-2000).]

clairobscur
11-06-2000, 08:17
So, If I understood correctly Rob's post :

1) If a client is dropped, it's a loss for him

2) If the host escape, it's a null

So, now, what happens if :

1) the host lost his connection in some way?

2) The client escape?

Obake
11-06-2000, 11:32
Not so sure about that Rob. There have been othertimes where I dropped and the result was null. This was the first time I took a loss for dropping, which irritated me all the more since I was confident of victory.

Obake

Rob
11-07-2000, 01:29
Well I am not 100% certain but I had always thought that drop = loss.

This is what I reckon happens:
(For those of you unfamiliar with the terms, host is the person starting the game, client is the person joining)

Client ESCs - Client loses.
Client drops - Client loses.
Host ESCs - No result recorded.
Host drops - No result recorded.

The reason there is no result if the host drops is because he is then out of contact with the EA server, and thus cannot send details of the result of the battle.

As to the host being able to ESC, this should be fixed as an EMERGENCY PRIORITY, if it is not fixed in at least patch 1.13 then that will be a total failure.

Link Shumeisan
11-07-2000, 01:36
Obake,
That's sure, only the Host can escape and not have a D recorded and a drop is considered as a D (not in more than 1v1). But sometimes the result is not recorded even when the game end normally. It's why the better way to protect from the escapers and from drops is to host. But one night I had 4 games not recorded has I hosted and the game ended "normally" !!!
ClairObscur, a Host can't loose connection he hosts...
If a client esc he has a lost.