PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else find this to be creepy?

Goofball
05-20-2005, 21:27
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7681252/

Yikes...

Byzantine Prince
05-20-2005, 21:31
Let's just hope this technology doesn't reach New Zealand because then we'll really be in trouble. :wink2:

Templar Knight
05-20-2005, 21:32
or Aberdeen ~;)

GoreBag
05-20-2005, 21:36
Oh, whatever. We eat strawberries with fish genes in them every day.

BDC
05-20-2005, 21:39
Other than the possibility of them becoming really brainy (but I doubt anyone knows enough about how the brain works to predict that) I don't see the issue.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-20-2005, 21:40
the committee recommended closely monitoring the mice’s behavior and immediately killing any that display human-like behavior.

Er, why? "Humanity! Quickly, destroy it!"

Human mice would be really cool. You could put them through the letterbox if you got locked out and have them open the door.

Byzantine Prince
05-20-2005, 21:42
Ever watched Pinky and the Brain?

*shivers*

Mikeus Caesar
05-20-2005, 21:43
If they transfer it to all sheep, then it will be the final proof that they aren't too dumb. And, they might finally have the intelligence to run away from Welsh farmers.

tibilicus
05-20-2005, 21:53
Wow human half sheep !!!!!!!!! Mikeus now has his brother back !!!!!!!!! ~D lol only messing mate !!!!!!!!! I personley am half human half sheep as i am a guest. Bet your gelious ure not a guest guys? Ye bet you are. ~D

Redleg
05-20-2005, 21:58
I am actually hoping Nav will post on this one - because I got a feeling that I would agree with him on this one.

Steppe Merc
05-20-2005, 22:11
Er, why? "Humanity! Quickly, destroy it!"
Just wondering about the same thing. Are they afraid they'll take over or something?

I don't know how much I like this... I find it disturbing, frankly.

Xiahou
05-20-2005, 22:47
In January, an informal ethics committee at Stanford University endorsed a proposal to create mice with brains nearly completely made of human brain cells.
Totally horriffic.

Just in case, Greely said, the committee recommended closely monitoring the mice’s behavior and immediately killing any that display human-like behavior. Like this somehow makes it better? It's already done- killing it doesnt undo it. Again, horriffic.

Island of Doctor Moreau anyone?

kiwitt
05-20-2005, 22:52
... reach New Zealand because ...

That does explain the sheepy looking characters we have lurking around here ~D

PanzerJaeger
05-20-2005, 22:58
Ethics and Science should go hand in hand. There is obviously a serious shortage of the former in Nevada.

It is wrong to tamper with humanity like this.

Why dont these scientists create a hydrogen engine or something instead of playing God?

DemonArchangel
05-20-2005, 23:08
Playing God=Fun
If your theory of creation holds true, God also created the stars, so Fusion Power is ethically wrong as well.

Idomeneas
05-20-2005, 23:08
Ethics and Science should go hand in hand. There is obviously a serious shortage of the former in Nevada.

It is wrong to tamper with humanity like this.

Why dont these scientists create a hydrogen engine or something instead of playing God?

Cause this kind of engine exists for more than a decade but oil companies and their puppets keep it buried. A greek inventor back in early 80's found way to move his car with water and reaching the speed of 90 km/h. Guess what. They offered him a load of money to buy his invention and bury it.

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-20-2005, 23:12
If your theory of creation holds true, God also created the stars, so Fusion Power is ethically wrong as well.
I guess this makes you feel cool.

Island of Doctor Moreau anyone?
Freaky book alert! Sounds a lot like it, doesn't it?

Kaiser of Arabia
05-20-2005, 23:15
This is evil, as evil as the cloned embryo.
I find it sickening that us, as human beings, allow this to go on.

PanzerJaeger
05-20-2005, 23:16

I dont need Jesus to tell me intermixing human and animal parts is wrong.

I must agree with Alex though, i feel you simply said that to make yourself seem counter-culture. Dont worry, you'll grow out of it eventually or end up living in a cardboard castle. ~;)

DemonArchangel
05-20-2005, 23:22
Nah, i didn't say it to seem counterculture, i said that cuz it's the truth. Meh, anywho.... the animals are just... weird.

Goofball
05-20-2005, 23:31
Cause this kind of engine exists for more than a decade but oil companies and their puppets keep it buried. A greek inventor back in early 80's found way to move his car with water and reaching the speed of 90 km/h. Guess what. They offered him a load of money to buy his invention and bury it.

Take off your tinfoil hat and return to the mothership before the CIA activates the microchip they implanted in your cortex that makes you do the chicken-dance while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and farting the theme from Star Wars...

05-21-2005, 00:12
That is siggiefied! Thank you, Goofball, you goofball you. ~D

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 04:44
Panzer and other anti-human animal mixing members besides a gut reaction is there anything behind why you find this to be sickening?

Personally I have no problem with this and find it interesting that we would kill them if they exhibited human-like characteristics. Maybe it is just that it would pop the whole humanity created to rule over the other animals bubble, but I don't really understand the reasoning against it.

LittleGrizzly
05-21-2005, 05:34
I can't see why this is wrong, also i dont see why signs of humanity should involve it being killed, perhpas we could learn from it...

PanzerJaeger
05-21-2005, 07:29
We keep sliding down this slippery slope all in the name of "Curing Diseases". Exactly how many Diseases have been cured by mice with human brains?

There is a point, even in the religion now know as science, when we have to slow down and look retrospectively at what we are doing.

Human life - the essence of what we are as beings beyond the other animals of the earth - is not raw material to be used and thrown away, or played with in the lab.

We dont know what a human brain will do in a mouse. Does it think?

If we have to resort to expending innocent unborn life to prolong the life of someone who has already experienced this, what does that say about us?

Greedy, self-righteous, and pathetic are words that come to my mind.

The devaluation of life leads to a culture of death that can seriously alter the basic precepts of humanity. Is it worth it?

Husar
05-21-2005, 11:27
Now we can finally save the environment, the new human MK2 with the speed of a cheetah doesn´t need cars anymore, he is hybrid like a snail (no more gays), he can fly like a bird of prey, dive like a fish and he needs no fossil fuels to function, he is of course vegetarian to prevent any wars. :dizzy2: ~:rolleyes: :clown:

Idomeneas
05-21-2005, 16:09
Take off your tinfoil hat and return to the mothership before the CIA activates the microchip they implanted in your cortex that makes you do the chicken-dance while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and farting the theme from Star Wars...

thanks for the warning i dont want what happened to you to happen to me also.
Just a question. You boost your singing farts with special kind of beans or are you a natural?

Mikeus Caesar
05-21-2005, 16:52
Human life - the essence of what we are as beings beyond the other animals of the earth - is not raw material to be used and thrown away, or played with in the lab.

If it doesn't think, and it isn't sentient, then it isn't really human life, is it? Killing a human embryo that doesn't think or know that it exists for research is like killing a chicken for food. It's essential.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2005, 17:21
Mikeus Caesar has a point, if we are willing to kill animals who have higher cognitive ability than an embryo does what is the problem with using the embryo? It is being used in a much more productive and helpful manner than almost any slain animal.

Mikeus Caesar
05-21-2005, 17:51
Wow, i actually made a valid point? w00t!

Byzantine Prince
05-21-2005, 17:52
If we have to resort to expending innocent unborn life to prolong the life of someone who has already experienced this, what does that say about us?
Those fetusses are not expendable human life, they are soon to be dead cells from abortion clinics we are re-using for research to heal people.

The devaluation of life leads to a culture of death that can seriously alter the basic precepts of humanity. Is it worth it?
Was the Iraq war worth it? The reason I bring this is that 100,000 people have been killed in Iraq since the invasion and that is more stem cells than we would ever need for a thousand years. Why is that not a culture of war? You being a Bush supporter have to answer this.

05-21-2005, 21:34
Was the Iraq war worth it? The reason I bring this is that 100,000 people have been killed in Iraq since the invasion and that is more stem cells than we would ever need for a thousand years. Why is that not a culture of war? You being a Bush supporter have to answer this.
What the hell? And where did you get that statistic? (If it's correct, bear in mind that I don't have a "death toll counter" on my desktop.) And none of those stem cells would be embryonic. I thought that the only "good" stem cells were ones that came from dead babies.

And you being Byzantine Prince have to answer this. :dizzy2:

PanzerJaeger
05-23-2005, 02:58
If it doesn't think, and it isn't sentient, then it isn't really human life, is it? Killing a human embryo that doesn't think or know that it exists for research is like killing a chicken for food. It's essential.

A newborn baby doesnt think or know it exists either. And how is it essential now that we do this research? Humanity has gotten along for thousands of years without it.

Those fetusses are not expendable human life, they are soon to be dead cells from abortion clinics we are re-using for research to heal people.

And that is why abortion should be banned.

Bring your numbers to at least a reasonable estimation and Ill give you an answer.

Redleg
05-23-2005, 14:06

Well Byzantine Prince using your logic that you just displayed here - over 100,000 babies are aborted each year - more then enough stem cells available for a thousand years are available each and every year by the death of babies - killed by the liberial culture of death.

Now respond to that - since you are a supporter of the culture of death that is the abortion advocates.

JAG
05-24-2005, 14:56
Amazing how this turns into an abortion thread...

And abortion creates a culture of life not death, life for would be mothers who would otherwise be restricted forever because of an unwanted child. Life for all children as we know that children will be born into families which want them. The problem with abortion is not that it is carried out, but that the information on the reality isn't out there enough so people who really don't want the would be child feel they have no choice but to have the baby, creating hell on earth in a lot of cases for both the baby and the mother. We have a thread on the boards about a family where the mother had three children by different partners and then her children had a child of their own at the age of 16, 14 and 12 respectively. Now if you think the right information about abortion - that it isn't killing any human before 24 weeks and that it is an easy procedure - was given and the original mother knew the facts we would now have this very problematic situation? I don't. It is anti abortionists who create a life of slavery and problems.

The vast, vast majority of child abuse and violence comes from unhappy households, anti abortionists create it, well at least help create it. A culture of real life, of happiness and contentment is created by getting the facts right and information out about abortion. Anyway it is those who are most passionately opposed to abortion which are equally as passionately for the death penalty. Culture of death? Oh don't be so hypocritical.

As for the original purpose of the thread, I find it silly because I can't see the point. If there was a point to it other than playing God, then I wouldn't have a problem as such.

Redleg
05-24-2005, 15:04
Amazing how this turns into an abortion thread...

And abortion creates a culture of life not death, life for would be mothers who would otherwise be restricted forever because of an unwanted child. Life for all children as we know that children will be born into families which want them. The problem with abortion is not that it is carried out, but that the information on the reality isn't out there enough so people who really don't want the would be child feel they have no choice but to have the baby, creating hell on earth in a lot of cases for both the baby and the mother. We have a thread on the boards about a family where the mother had three children by different partners and then her children had a child of their own at the age of 16, 14 and 12 respectively. Now if you think the right information about abortion - that it isn't killing any human before 24 weeks and that it is an easy procedure - was given and the original mother knew the facts we would now have this very problematic situation? I don't. It is anti abortionists who create a life of slavery and problems.

The vast, vast majority of child abuse and violence comes from unhappy households, anti abortionists create it, well at least help create it. A culture of real life, of happiness and contentment is created by getting the facts right and information out about abortion. Anyway it is those who are most passionately opposed to abortion which are equally as passionately for the death penalty. Culture of death? Oh don't be so hypocritical.

As for the original purpose of the thread, I find it silly because I can't see the point. If there was a point to it other than playing God, then I wouldn't have a problem as such.

And you are also very hypocritical in this Jag supporting abortion but against the death penelty. Besides if you actually read what I had written - you would of discovered it was in direct response to BP failed logic in his comments. However you have shown again how hypocritical both postions truely are. One can not support the death pently and be against abortion - without being a hypocrit, same for those who are for abortion but against the death pently - both sides are hypocrits on the issue.

JAG
05-24-2005, 15:11
No... Because one is killing a human and the other is getting rid of a group of cells like removing a tumour. The fact that a fetus could be a human and if left will be a human does not stop the fact that at the point of getting rid of the cells it is not anything like a human. Not hypocritical at all.

Redleg
05-24-2005, 15:18
No... Because one is killing a human and the other is getting rid of a group of cells like removing a tumour. The fact that a fetus could be a human and if left will be a human does not stop the fact that at the point of getting rid of the cells it is not anything like a human. Not hypocritical at all.

Yep - I figured you will try to justify the removing of life from the womb with such an answer. At least with my support of the death pently for convicted murders - I understand that its taking a life for their own actions - however it seems that you have once again shown the hypocrisy of the abortion stance - by calling a fetus nothing but a group of cells. Most hypocrits can not see their own hypocrisy on an issue - at least I understand mine on the issue on abortion and the death pently - but go ahead and continue to justify human actions by pretending that the grouping of cells in the womb is not life. Remember at one time you were nothing but this group of cells that you so cavliar decide is okay to remove from the womb.

Ironside
05-24-2005, 16:03
A minor note:

Embryonal stem cells comes from "artificial pregnacies" (don't know the English word). They often get several embryo(es?) and all isn't good enough to develop to a child or you'll end up with too many functional embryoes (=possible triplings or even more).

These cells can only be gotten while the embryo is less than 14 days. I suspect that very few abortions is made during this time. ~;)
Thus abortion has very little to do with it.

And for you 100% pro-lifer's. If you would get 7 viable embryoes, when the mother only wants one child (well maybe two), what would you do?

1. Put all in? That would cartainly kill a few babies (yes babies as they would die quite late in the pregnancy).

2. Put in as many as she want's? That would kill of the remaining embryoes, but at the embryo stage.

3. Refuse to do the process? That wouldn't kill anything in the practical sence. But without performing the process, a baby is never borned. Is that pro-life?

I won't comment on the mother but you can guess the best alternative for her. ~;)

So are you willing to kill several embryoes to get one baby? Or to kill several babies for several babies? Or you won't kill anything, but then a baby will never be born.
If life comes from death will you allow it, or will you prevent it from ever existing?
And is a baby 100% equal to an embryo?

Xiahou
05-24-2005, 20:46
The solution is obvious- the parents should adopt a child. There are many children looking to be adopted even today and if we stopped killing them because they're an inconvenience we'd have even more.

Ironside
05-25-2005, 09:45
The solution is obvious- the parents should adopt a child. There are many children looking to be adopted even today and if we stopped killing them because they're an inconvenience we'd have even more.

Nice way to avoid the question. ~;)

And it would actually work in theory, would only make about a 60% increase of the number of adoptions (Sweden would have a 200% increase by compairation, we don't use either method as othen appearently).

But you got a huge number of children in foster cares over there ~:eek: (about 500k).

But to be evil, adoption isn't an option in this case. :evil:

But I can guess you can put it as alternative 3 if you want though.