View Full Version : AI overconfidence

p_nutter
05-21-2005, 08:56
Hi guys,

If you want to punish the AI for its impudence, try this battle:

Province: Kawachi
Mode: Expert
Weather: Fine day
Attacker: You. 1 Samurai Archers, 2 No-Dachi (180 men)
Defender: AI. 3 Yari Samurai, 4 Samurai Archers (420 men)
All units H1, no armour/weapon upgrades.

It's winnable, although I can't win it consistently. It's winnable because the AI gets cocky and sends its army over the bridge - it could win easily if it stayed on its own side. I'm trying to work out what makes the AI cross the bridge, as it would be very useful to deliberately provoke this AI "feature" in the single-player campaign. I think the decision is based on just numbers, and does not depend on the composition of each army.

My best result for this one: 309 kills, 104 losses

SamuArch... Kills: 60, Lost: 6
Nodachi...... Kills: 100, Lost: 52
Nodachi...... Kills: 149, Lost: 46

Not a bad result for a bridge fight. If this was a campaign battle, I'd have got a few more kills from the surviving 22 ND chasing the routers. ~D

Has anyone else seen a defending AI cross the bridge?

Sasaki Kojiro
05-21-2005, 15:51
Yeah, they seem to cross the bridge when they have a numbers advantage. Enemy daimyo seem a lot more willing to cross bridges.

BTW, which were the taisho units in that battle?

p_nutter
05-21-2005, 16:24
My taisho was the archers, enemy taisho was one of the yari samurai units.

Hmm... if the AI just counts numbers, will it cross the bridge to attack 16 kensai? That could be fun (although not quite so useful for campaign purposes.)

p_nutter
05-21-2005, 17:58
Interesting.
AI will not cross bridge vs 16 kensai.

A slight variation: Replace ND with H9 monks. Select arrowhead formation. Do not move anything. AI does not cross the bridge.

Another variation: Replace ND with H0 monks. Select arrowhead formation. Do not move anything. AI does cross the bridge.

Yet another variation: Replace ND with H9 monks. Select arrowhead formation. As soon as the battle starts, move monks backwards, so they are facing the wrong way and a few meters back. AI does cross the bridge.

AI bridge crossing seems to depend on enemy army size, enemy army composition, and distance from bridge to enemy army.

Drisos
05-22-2005, 12:06
Welcome to the .org fellow STW-player P_nutter! ~:wave: ~:wave:

Please introduce youself in the topic: 'HAIL New Members (introductions)', that way, you'll be a full member soon!

Great thread you made here! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing that info! ~:)

btw: I've slaughtered the AI crossing the bridge sometimes too, it's fun! Lately I've been laughing at the AI quite much, it's quite an idiot! ~D

Irinami
05-22-2005, 15:30
~:( And here I am, thinking the AI is giving me a good run for my money almost half the time. It must be that whole "timing" thing.

I keep looking for the "End Turn" button in battles. ~D

Drisos
05-22-2005, 15:43
Sorry for my English skill, but did you mean you're not quite good yet?

never mind! I'm sure you'll improve soon and give the AI some hard punishments later! even at expert.

Sword dojo has about 140 pages full of threads, most of them are very intresting. ~:cool: So, checking some threads including STW strategy might help. I've got help from some other very nice members known with the Sword Dojo, in fact I still get some help. ~;)

Seen the fact AI still is a good match for you, I might be able to teach you some stuff I've learned about STW. (no offense m8, I'm sure you'll be better then me when you've played the game the same time I did.)

If you'd like this, and I can find some spare time(full of school business :dizzy:) please post some campaign reports like I did with the takeda campaign. That way, I can see where I can pass on information I got from others in the early days of my membership.

:bow: See ya later! :bow:

Irinami
05-22-2005, 23:59
Drisos, you're great and you understood my English exactly. ~:)

I may, if I get excited about single battles, post some battle reports on some "challenges" I saw, something like defeating 6 units of Warrior Monks with just 2 Yari Samurai or something. Could be fun to try!

Drisos
05-23-2005, 09:46
OK ~:cool:

That challenge you mean, seems very hard to me. On a huge mountain, the yari's would win the battle in the first minute, but when the armies are stuck and the yari's can't rush at them anymore, the WM are so much better that the yari's are being slaughtered.

Maybe with high honour Yari's and some flanking it could be done, but still: I don't think I would win this one myself. ~D

I'll contact my 'MP-trainer'via PM, and soon I think I'll know how to fix this one too.

Irinami, I don't know if you plan to play MP sooner or later, but in case not, you could also just play an expert campaign and tell me what went wrong. I can give some general tips on campaigns, and some very general tips on battles.