PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your skirmishers?

Titus Livius
05-29-2005, 21:31
Just curious as to how different players employ their skirmishers, and what changes you make to these tactics when facing certain factions and/or unit types.

Currently I have a Roman campaign and am busy hacking up the Britons. I've noticed that they almost always deploy all their infantry in one long line and attempt an envelopment, so I keep my velites and peltasts behind and on the flanks of my infantry at oblique angles, with cavalry posted immediately behind for a hasty fall-back.

How do you employ your skirmishers?

bubbanator
05-29-2005, 21:42
I don't use them much, especialy when I am the Romans. Your regular infantry is nearly as good with a pilla.

When I do use them, they are usualy Illyarian (sp?) mercs. because they are actualy pretty good. I have them in front of my line in skirmish mode so that they can get an volly or two off first, when the enemy gets near, they run behind my line and continue to pelt the enemy while my superior infantry hack away and my cavalry smashes into their rear.

One thing they are good at is killing charriots and elles. I keep a few around in britian and carthage for that reason.

Oaty
05-29-2005, 22:08
I've noticed that they almost always deploy all their infantry in one long line and attempt an envelopment

That tactic becomes boring after a while. Defend your flanks break the center and flank out.

Skirmishers are great against a phalanx heavy army especially since 1.2 where they can become deadly units even when surrounded and don't route.

Another great use is chariots, usually the heavy volleys will have a good chance to route them. Thier bonus against chariots is rather poor when in all reality they should slaugter chariots since they are a loose order infantry and have the ability to move out of thier way. Even if they do slaughter your skirmiser they spent them on a cheap unit buying you time

Another good use is to use them on tired infantry or to tire them.

Some people even use them to lure in enemy cavalry to take away all the A.I.'s mobility, this is never my original intention but quite often this is what happens and usually the worst that happens isI lose 0-20 skirmisher while decimating thier cavalry, on rare occasions I lose a good 50 or more but the A.I. rarely gets a good payoff on this tactic.

You could also use them for a sneak attack. Hide them in the grass wait for enemy cavalry to stumble on them and then since you killed thier charge you can come in and slaughter them. Sounds like a viable tactic for multiplayer

katank
05-29-2005, 22:29
Skirmishers still die to cavalry pretty bad. Against AI, maybe but any half-decent human player would charge the cav away and come back for charges that would demolish the skirmishers.

I like to use them to jog phalanxes around provided enemy cav is neutralized. They can also chase slow infantry routers, freeing your cav to target lighter and faster routers for more total kills.

Kagemusha
05-29-2005, 22:31
Many times i use them to lure AI divide its troops.I hide few skirmishers on both sides of advancing enemy army and usually start peppering them with on the flank or even rear.Almost every time AI breaks its battleline and starts to chase them then when its confused i just smash right into its center and voila.Result is usually general route for AI . :bow: