PDA

View Full Version : Fast-track training of new generals!

Aesculapius
06-04-2005, 07:31
Just fought another enjoyable 'cat-and-mouse' battle:

Me: Brutii, unblooded general with 14 heavy cavalry only.
Them: Rebels, 4 x 60 peasants, 1 x 27 javelin cavalry.
Ground: gently hilly, with scattered forests.
Settings: RTW 1.2, H/H, medium-sized units.

And, by pulling the enemy this way and that, tempting out a unit at a time and then killing it, I ended up with this:

http://uk.geocities.com/aesculapius_rtw/ilyria.jpg

From zero to silver-chevron in one battle. Can anyone beat that, or is this common-place?

Sorry for blowing my own trumpet, but I'm flushed with victory........
:charge:

Slug For A Butt
06-04-2005, 07:57
Man that is impressive. :dizzy2:
Maybe others have seen it before, but I haven't.

Zero to hero in no time. ~D

sapi
06-04-2005, 08:35
wow - i have never seen that before.....good work

kinein
06-05-2005, 07:44
Whats the benefits of using the wedge? I heard it doesn't go thru units but impacts and stops?

Quietus
06-05-2005, 07:57
Whats the benefits of using the wedge? I heard it doesn't go thru units but impacts and stops?

Welcome to the .ORG kinein! :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:

Yes, wedge doesn't go through units unlike the older TW games (Shogun and Medieval).

Wedge however is useful for chasing down routers. At least when using cavalry. ~:) :charge:

amazon77
06-05-2005, 09:03
Where you attacker or defender?

Well, i don't know if its common place, but it's awesome! I, at least, haven't done anything like it.

However your general did have a battle before, as he starts with 14 men instead of the standard 20. I guess you meant he had 0 exp, which is true judging from the screenie, however he prolly had some kills in his previous battle. Not to take any glory from you, just being overly scholastic ~:)

tibilicus
06-05-2005, 12:02
Even i must say quit impresive, BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunatly theres no claping smilie here at the org. ~:(

Ianofsmeg16
06-05-2005, 13:09
Even i must say quit impresive, BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunatly theres no claping smilie here at the org. ~:(

I cannot believe but your right!!!! why isnt there a clapping smiley???
brilliant work btw, couldnt do better well done :thumbsup:

antisocialmunky
06-05-2005, 13:35
http://img138.echo.cx/img138/7436/clap8cp.gif (http://www.imageshack.us)

katank
06-05-2005, 15:12
@ amazon, he said medium unit size which has 10-12 as the standard general unit. Some traits can easily boost that to 14.

kinein
06-06-2005, 04:23
Thanks Quietus :) , I'm looking forward to the Expansion already! I've been preoccupied with other games but I have managed to put 30 hours worth of play time. Did play Medievial:Total War quite a lot and Shogun tho :)

IF there are anymore details to this specific battle , I'd like to hear them!

Thanks for the info on the wedge! But specifically is charging say a group of infantry then pulling away and charging again and then pulling away and charging again the proper way to use Cavalry. Or is charging then leaving them in melee the proper way?

professorspatula
06-06-2005, 04:53
I had a unit (possibly the general) gain 6 experience in a battle once, although like in your screenshot, only because the general's unit had so few men in it. The higher the kills-by-your-unit:men-in-your-unit ratio, the greater the chances of gaining experience. Eg, had the general's unit had 30 men still in it, you might only have gained 1 or 2 chevrons. Still a nice feat, and the unit's new recruits after the battle will have 4 chevrons too.

It's possible to gain 9 chevrons in one battle also. Just set up a village battle with about 7000+ peasants defending, and you have just one 0 chevron unit of Urban Cohorts to attack. You can slaughter the lot and stay fresh just by being on the defense. Bring a book along though, as it's a slow and boring process of peasant massacring.

sapi
06-06-2005, 08:51
To restate it,
Settings: RTW 1.2, H/H, medium-sized units.

And one the most fun things i ever did in MTW was slaughtering 2 full peasant stacks in seperate rebellions (the same province) with 3 Italian Infantry and 1 CMA

I got slaughtered the next turn though, the rebels got better :dizzy2:

vale
06-06-2005, 09:09
The most xp my general gain was 3 I can't match your for now but I will :)

Uriel
06-06-2005, 11:48
I had an interesting one in campaign mode the other day. As Julii I sent a force to relieve one a town (can't remember tha name - begins with B and is north of Thessalonica) besieged by the Thracians. They had a lot of heavy cavalry, missile cavalry and spearmen and after standing off for a long time I got impatient, went in too quickly, got routed, lost most of my equites, a lot of infantry and with no movement points left was a bit stuck. This earned my general (0 or 1 bronze chevron - not sure, 2 command stars, just been fortunate enough to recover from the plague) the indicisive attacker trait.

On the Thracians turn they moved in for the kill. I had only my general, 2 Hestati units, 1 unit of velites and 1 unit of wardogs. All were under half strength and I had no option to flee. I hid the wardogs in some trees, lined up the general, Hestatii and Velites in a defensive formation at the top of a hill and sent off the remaining equites for some distracting running.

Once the Thracians were in range I released the wardogs and got the equites to do hit and run on some of the spearmen. Eventually the equites routed, the wardogs got used up and the Thracians came for my vastly outnumbered force. The enemy general charged my Hestatii and I pulled off the Velites to one side, doing some missile damage. Had my general charge from the other direction and pretty soon the enemy general initially routed and was then killed. Unfortunately this meant heavy losses to my side and the rest of the Thracians moved in, killing or routing everyone apart from the velites who were in skirmish mode and kept it up for a good 5 minutes before routing themselves. I even got a message along the lines of 'your general has fallen, fighting like a true Roman' and thought I was pretty much wiped out.

Came to the end of the battle and the generals unit had got 8 XP. 'Shame I can't use that', I thought but noticed there were a few recoveries. Anyway once back in the campaign map I noticed my general was alive and well in the nearest town with 3 silver chevrons. He's survived plague and apparrently getting killed in battle and he's still only in his 20s. Starting to think the guy might have a bright future.

katank
06-07-2005, 01:03
That's amazing. I've never had resurrected generals but you have better luck. The town is Byzalora by the way.

Uriel
06-07-2005, 17:01
A few turns later and he's up to 48 men in the bodyguard (huge units). They've dropped to 2 silver chevrons.