PDA

View Full Version : Difference

Lancome
06-05-2005, 18:12
I always wanted to know whats the difference between Pharaoh spearmen and Spartan Hoplites. Also who is superior?

professorspatula
06-05-2005, 18:30
Spartans are far superior. Just play a custom game and pit Spartans against Pharoah's Spearmen and compare the stats. The most obvious difference is the Spartans have 2 hitpoints, making them a nightmare to kill. The Spartan's also wear a big girly red dress, but then the Pharoah's dress sense isn't that great either.

Kagemusha
06-05-2005, 18:37
Spartans are far superior. Just play a custom game and pit Spartans against Pharoah's Spearmen and compare the stats. The most obvious difference is the Spartans have 2 hitpoints, making them a nightmare to kill. The Spartan's also wear a big girly red dress, but then the Pharoah's dress sense isn't that great either.

I read somewhere that the reason Spartans weared those big girly red dresses so they wouldnt see their own blood spilling everywhere in the heat of the battle. :bow:

katank
06-05-2005, 21:09
Spartans in melee will maul most units frontally. This includes pharoah's guard.

However, Pharoah's guard is less vulnerable to missiles. Spartans drop like flies to arrow and jav fire, having only 3 armor.

vastator
06-05-2005, 21:26
Spartans in melee will maul most units frontally. This includes pharoah's guard.

However, Pharoah's guard is less vulnerable to missiles. Spartans drop like flies to arrow and jav fire, having only 3 armor.

Quite right. :bow: In melee Pharoah's Guards are about the same as Armoured Hoplites, but with slightly higher morale.

Mikeus Caesar
06-05-2005, 21:33
Actually, if spartans are facing missile fire head on, they don't as easily, which is why i tend to take things slowly with them, continuously going forwards, not backwards, backwards, not sideways, and always twirling, twirling, twirling to victory!!

katank
06-06-2005, 01:42
Spartans get their shield bonus if taking fire frontally. However, they still die faster than pharoah's guard or armoured hops to missile fire.

A unit of cretans can kill off an entire unit of spartans while using only about half its ammo.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-06-2005, 02:14
I would bet that SPartans take a bit longer or as long as Armoureds due to their second hitpoint. But I have never tested this in a controlled way so I cannot say for sure.

professorspatula
06-06-2005, 04:38
Another difference between the two units is that the Pharoah's Spearmen have advanced cloaking technology, passed down to them by some former Klingon Pharoah perhaps. This Cloaking technology enables them to go into battle with an invisible shield strapped to their arm, immediately making them the envy of the ancient world. Similar technology was given to their axemen, who have Terminator like exo-skeleton's under their skin which gives them their high armour rating, plus makes them sound like they have a cloaked baking tray strapped to their torso whenever they are hit by their unwitting enemies.

Based on this evidence of the Egyptian's advanced technology, you still think the Pyramids were built by man?

sapi
06-06-2005, 08:44
lol yes - it's not a giant satellite controller :dizzy2:

katank
06-07-2005, 00:56
Actually, the higher armor value of the Armoured Hops more than make up for lack of second HP.

As HA factions, shooting up a unit of Spartan occurs in no time while I usually spend a ton of ammo and get nowhere with Armoured Hops. Eventually, I have to charge the Arm. Hops with my horsies.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-08-2005, 03:16
Interesting, I will have to test that myself when I finally get around to seriously playing Scythia. Thanks for the info.

Maedhros
06-08-2005, 03:27
Is it possible the higher armor for unarmoured men is meant to represent nimble unencumbered fighters?

Spartiate
06-08-2005, 11:11
Playing as Sarmatia in RTR i have noticed that i can slaughter a unit of Spartans even head on before they reach my lines but even a unit of silver chevron peasants will last longer under arrow fire.All other Hoplites including Armoured Hoplites lose about 2 to 3 men per volley from the front or side but lose about 8 or 9 men per volley from the rear.I am currently sitting on a ford outside Rome waiting for that killer stack of veteran Praetorian Cohorts to attack my army of Noble HAs.I'll see how my arrows fair against their armour shortly.

Zizka
06-08-2005, 12:14
Playing Thrace, I have noticed that the Spartan Hoplites lose more to archers while my peltast cause more casualties with the normal and armored Hoplites. I haven't battled Egypt yet, campaigning so much in the west.

hotingzilla
06-08-2005, 12:25
With some skill Urban Cohort can beat Spartan Hoplites.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-09-2005, 02:56
No, that is represented by defense skill or something. I am not sure what the exact term is, but they do recognize the skill of a fighter in that attribute.