PDA

View Full Version : What difficulty setting controls the bias of the auto-calc?

Jambo
06-06-2005, 12:22
Hi,

does anyone know if it is the campaign difficulty level or the battle difficulty level that controls the bias associated with the auto-calc method of resolving battles?

Cheers

Mongoose
06-06-2005, 14:48
It is the campaign setting. On VH it is common to lose naval battles when you have the odds 2:1 in your favor! :dizzy2: makes the end game VERY boring because you have to fight every little battle with the rebels :furious3:

therother
06-06-2005, 18:43
I'm also pretty sure it's the campaign difficulty.

Mikeus Caesar
06-06-2005, 18:46
Actually, i read somewhere that the second unit in your army determines whether you'll win or not e.g. if you have a 3 gold chevron spartan unit as your second unit, you should supposedly win, and if you have a no chevron 2 man unit of greek cavalry, then you supposedly lose. I've never bothered testing this, but it is an interesting theory. And, if you have chariots, then there is a large chance you'll win on auto-calc, which is handy when playing as the Brits.

katank
06-07-2005, 00:49
I never found much on the second unit theory. However, I can verify that elephants and chariots used to be underpowered in autocalc (1.0 and 1.1) but chariots are really overpowered.

A unit of British general can beat half a stack of a balanced army on autocalc.

professorspatula
06-07-2005, 01:23
Chariots and auto-calc is ridiculous. I had a 1500 strong army try to kill one Egyptian Chariot General which had about 6-7 experience. Although the army only consisted of peasant, skirmishers and axemen, I never expected to lose about 800 of them in the first attack. I don't know how many hundreds the general killed before I finally fought the battle myself, only to kill this 'uber killing machine' with the loss of only about 15 men.

In another occasion, I upped the stats of British chariots for when they fight in actual battles, but this just made them even more overpowered in autocalc. Two units of heavy chariots wiped out over 1200 of my Gaul warriors in one battle, and the survivors wiped out hundreds more the next time. I almost wept for those poor Gauls.

Oaty
06-07-2005, 02:26
doublepost

Oaty
06-07-2005, 02:33
That second unit in autoresolve definately is a factor in autoresolve

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45527

An elite does/does'nt guarantee a win but it does appear it decreases the losses you take. Still debated over it's overall effectiveness but is definately a key factor in auto resolve.