PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Archers with Carthage

TBB
06-08-2005, 03:31
Hello all first post here...

Any way I'm currently playing an Imperial Campaign as Carthage... its only my second campaign. I noticed and am quite disturbed by Carthage's conspicuis absence of archers... Now this presents a problem in that how exactly am I supposed to defend my cities against assault? Slingers? Sure they can take down a few troops but their lack of flaming ammo to take down siege equipment concerns me.

Thanks all,

TBB

professorspatula
06-08-2005, 03:51
Welcome.

It may suck, but with Carthage you have to manage the best you can without archers. It makes their campaign a little more tricky, and means you need to rely more on infantry and cavalry, but that's no bad thing. If you take over Greece and the few Hellenised settlements in western Asia minor, you can then start hiring Cretan Archer mercs. They're very good, but obviously in short supply.

If you really want Carthage to have archers, you can download various mods. I have a free Carthy archer to download found by clicking on the silly blue banner in my signature, and I'm sure other people can point you in the direction of others.

Shottie
06-08-2005, 03:59
If you want Carthage to have archers you can DL RTR. I have it, and it changes some other things, but if you really need and want archers then I would recommend RTR or another smaller mod that adds just archers, but I dont know of one. Hope this helps and welcome to The Guild!!!!!! :bow: ~:cheers:

TBB
06-08-2005, 05:26
Aight thanks all...

But a quick question about the mods... say i just downloaded the mods would i have to restart the campaign for them to go in to effect?

Thanks much,

TBB

lismore
06-08-2005, 09:41
Hi there

You can mod in archers yourself- you just have to change the numidian archers to be available for carthage as well: if you can change export_descr_unit and export_descr_buildings and then add a unit card then you are there!

Lismore

Zizka
06-08-2005, 11:12
In RTR Carthage gets archers, and i thought that was great until I started using the slinger, the RTR crew made slingers better than western archers, which is how it should be. Those Rhodian and Beleric slingers are now on my prime recruiting lists.

Mahrabals apprentice
06-08-2005, 11:34
This may be an ubernoob question, but what is RTR? :help:

Zizka
06-08-2005, 11:46
Rome Total Realism, it is a mod you can find here http://www.rometotalrealism.com/downloads.shtml

The crew attempted to create a more realistic version of Rome Total War.

It is a change and quite fun, and very challenging.

Mahrabals apprentice
06-08-2005, 11:49
thanks
If i dwonload this can i still use RTW? or am i stuck with just RTR?

Zizka
06-08-2005, 12:10
You can play the Imerial Campaign, but with the unit changes of RTR. The main differences, being a removal of the Wardogs, Screaming Women, and other 'fictional' units. Also they added loads of units to the different factions, changed the general bodyguards (triarier for Romans, and heavy Hoplites for Greeks, still Noble Cav for Germans and Gauls, etcetere.). The German Spear Warbands lose their phalanx formation, but another unit is addes that is more expensive which fills the same role.

There is a new Provincial campaign which adds territory (bigger map) and a lot of new cities.

The crew at RTR are working on a version 6.0 which should be out soon, if you want to wait. Otherwise, if you really like the germans, keep vanilla total war, if you want to play more with the variety of Roman units, try RTR, also with Carthage, the Lybian Spearmen an now form Phalanx, and it makes the Carthaginians tough for once. Haven't many others, Thrace is harder, but very fun as you are always fighting skirmisher battles. Egypt gets some Hoplite and Pike mercenaries (don't know what else, those are all that i have battled againgst the Ptolomaic Empire).

To answer your question, no you will not be able to play the same game. You can install Rome Total War twice, I do this mainly to try the varying mods, some of them are very nice, and fun to play.

hotingzilla
06-08-2005, 12:28
I have modded Carthage with the plain archer. I did a long time ago, but I don't think it was hard, in fact quite easy. You can mod Carthage to gain access to train Cretan Archers too!

vastator
06-08-2005, 14:43
I've checked out professorspatula's mod (thanks prof! ~D ) and it looks really easy to install. Carthaginian archers, here I come! :charge:

Arrowhead
06-08-2005, 16:21
Hi,

I always found that slingers were more effective against armoured troops

Mahrabals apprentice
06-09-2005, 17:31
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using flaming arrows? I only use them to make elephants go crazy, what else are they good/bad for

amazon77
06-09-2005, 17:56
Fire arrows and other fire projectiles (such as from siege equipment) have the benefit of big morale penalty to the unit that takes casualties from them. Also, if you manage to get a fire hit on a unit with an onager/heavy onager, then, the whole unit gets burned, not 1 or 2 etc. men.

The problem with it is that, fire missiles are not as accurate as normal ones'. This can be a big problem with siege equipment, as these tend to be quite inaccurate, even in normal mode ~;)

Shottie
06-09-2005, 18:31
Flamming arrows are good against seige equipment. If you take out their seige equipment then they are sitting ducks for your other missle units and towers, but if you just weaken their assualt with your arrows then you will to fight on the walls! :duel:

bubbanator
06-09-2005, 19:24
I have found that, with Carthage, things are almost too easy even without archers. If you can take all of Sicily, the Scipii are basicly out of the game. They will not even attempt to take a single town. Your only other neighbors are the Greek Cities (which can be left alone after you take Syracuse) and Numida (who you can easily crush). Basicly, if you take Sicily, you are on the offensive for the entire rest of the game. The only nation who might stand against you is the Egyptians. I just took present day egypt then got a ceasefire then later, an alliance. They never bothered me again.

As for the Romans, I just invaded and took Rome as soon as I could and wiped out the Senate, Julii, and Scipii without much trouble. The Brutii had taken Segstica and Salona so I just let them be. I never encountered a single piece of siege weaponry in the entire game so I had no desperate need for archers. I just hired mercs when I could and relied mostly on phalanxes and cavalry. It was almost too easy...almost...