PDA

View Full Version : Expansion by Other Factions

Checkers
06-14-2005, 12:03
I have noticed that the other factions do not expand much on the map normally. I am guessing that this is because of the save/load bug(I play short sessions often). For those of you doing workarounds against the bug (ie. hibernate, 5+ turns in one sitting), do you ever come across games where other nations end up controlling huge portions of the map? Much like you would see in Civilization.

Viking
06-14-2005, 12:31
Sometimes it happen.

Like in my first Julii campaign Scipii managed to reach all the way to Palmyra.

By the way, welcome to the Org! ~:cheers:

Franconicus
06-14-2005, 12:43
Yes!
In my Greek campaign I saw that Gauls dissapeared early. The land was devided between Brtannia, Germania and Julii. The Brutii are normally very aggressive, too.

Dutch_guy
06-14-2005, 13:19
In my RTR campaign ( I played the Romans ) Egypt held everything from rhodes to armenia , needless to say they were very powerfull.
Also spain held all of Iberia, which is good for them.

:balloon2:

The Stranger
06-14-2005, 14:31
yeah i had it. Britanny controlled the germania and britannia, Egypt controlled asia minor/iran/egypt/and a part of sarmatia. Carthage controlled north-west africa and spain.
i controlled gaul/greece/dacia/italy and some more. almost all (exept egypt) is now conquered

Mongoose
06-14-2005, 16:45
I've rarely seen the other factions expand...unless i give them huge amounts of land... :help:

Dutch_guy
06-14-2005, 17:27
yeah that sounds like vanilla, try one of the major mods out there.
In my RTR game you have the Romans on one side and the egyptians on the other. makes for some exiting battles.

Give it a try :bow:

Mikeus Caesar
06-14-2005, 18:11
In one game, the Germans controlled everything east of their homelands, right to the end of the map, and in my immortal greek campaign, the Armenians have formed a large empire and, brace yourselves, have nearly defeated Egypt!! All by themselves!! Currently though, they are at a stalemate in and around Jerusalem and Antioch, which is just next to my border, so i might be in trouble there...

The Stranger
06-14-2005, 18:28
yeah that sounds like vanilla, try one of the major mods out there.
In my RTR game you have the Romans on one side and the egyptians on the other. makes for some exiting battles.

Give it a try :bow:

just like my game. wich faction were you

Dutch_guy
06-14-2005, 18:42
I am playing Carthage , I have all of africa ( exept Siwa ) all of Iberia a little bit of gaul , although I will have to reinforce my army over there , since the Romans are almost bordering me near Gergovia ( which the Romans own ).
so I will probably try to do what Hannibal did and go over the Alps , and try to take out the Romans before the reforms kick in , however the battles will probably be hard.
And when the Romans are gone , Egypt awaits , who are probably going to invade byzantium in the near future ( if I don't load to much ~;) )

~:cheers:

The Stranger
06-14-2005, 19:04
oke. i'm having rough time with egypt myself. i took 20 provinces of them but they're still left with 50. i have egypt and turkey, but the rest of asia minor is theirs (RTR map)
i knocked carthage out of the competion by invading them with 10, 10 unit armies. along their borders. in 10 years i took north africa (western part) and spain of them. it was a quick invasion and it steamed my legions for egypt. i invaded egypt with 5 full armies. but the welcomed me with alot of battles i prolly killed 100000 eggys in 15-20 battles. all those battles happened in 10 years. in those 10 years i only took 5 cities. 10 years later i took another 15. they're still attacking my borders but they lost their most advanced cities. so their fighting machine is on a lower pit now.

CMcMahon
06-14-2005, 19:23
When I played as the Julii, Egypt had taken out the Seleucids, a lot of rebel cities, and was working on Pontus by the time I had finished off Gaul and Brittania.

Aside from that, though, no. Maybe in my current game, since the Julii and Brutii are both fighting the Gauls right now.

Garvanko
06-14-2005, 21:00
In my Scipii campaign, the Brits, Germans, Brutii, Ponts, and the Egyptians all expanded massively. It was a really see-saw battle against all of them.

professorspatula
06-14-2005, 21:17
Aside from those pesky Egyptians taking control of much of Asia Minor, the Britons often expand into Spain/Iberia. And if they don't, often the Gauls will. It usually depends on whether Julii has decided to move or stay passive early. If Julii expand, the Gauls and Britons shrink; and if the Gauls and Julii weaken each other enough, the Britons tend to take advantage. The other Roman factions usually expand quite well, although Scipii loses the plot when it takes over North Africa and then spends much of the time playing in the sand dunes whilst whatever faction you are takes over the rest of the world.

I'd like to see the AI factions be a little more aggressive though. Or at least put up more of a fight in the lands they do own.

RollingWave
06-16-2005, 05:47
Egytians always expands a lot wether in RTR or in RTW.....

In my RTR game by the time my carthiginian empire secured Siciliy and North Western Africa, the Romans were already going deep into gaul... but then i killed them :P

The Stranger
06-17-2005, 14:45
yup 9in RTR carthage also expands well

Batavian
06-19-2005, 12:11
An excellent way to check other Roman factions when playing vanilla RTW, is to cut off the normal path of advance for those factions. In other words, when I play as the Julii, I make my main effort in Sicily and then Greece. This has the effect of cutting of the Scipii and channelling the Brutii expansion due north. As Scipii, likewise I go for Greece and the coastal cities of southern France. Brutii, I go for Sicily and the Po Valley. Otherwise, I find that my greatest rivals become my fellow Roman allies.