PDA

View Full Version : Captains out of the shadow?

Idomeneas
06-15-2005, 22:54
Hi
I ve been thinking that the poor captains are overworking and underpayed (in fame points). Lets face it, many times family members are not enough or too busy fighting in the other end of the (known) world. Many times captains have to deal with revolts, sudden attacks or simply get the crue home through enemy lands after their illustrious campaign general turned himself into souvlaki(yes the famous greek delicase) by falling on enemies spears or got a passing though arrow without particular reason. They do all this hard work and for what? Not even a portrait (as in MTW). They can crush entire armies and by next turn guess what they wont even be in their place! How they re supposed to get some experience?

I think that captains should have also portrait and traits as family members. They should stay in their place until killed or being overshadowed by a newly arrived more experienced captain. In fact they should become full family members after numerous heroic deeds or at least be the first in line for marrying a family daughter.

What do you think? Come on lets give the poor bastards alittle more credit. They deserve it and it will be cooler also ~;)

GoreBag
06-16-2005, 00:21
....or at least be the first in line for marrying a family daughter.

Are all the candidates for marriage "Garrison Commanders"?

Spacemonk
06-16-2005, 00:33
well sometimes you do get an offer if you want a captain to join the familly. Not very often though, but then again I almost only fight with armies with a family member.

Spendios
06-16-2005, 19:03
I think that if you win an heroic victory with an army lead by a captain and that you haven't a lot of family members, the game will propose you to make the captain a family member.

Malrubius
06-16-2005, 21:23
Spendios is right. So far, nobody has figured out how to give traits to a "LesserGeneral". However, in the situation Spendios described, you get a "Man of the Hour" that you can adopt into your family. You can also adopt the garrison commanders, in the same way. I've heard that if you refuse the adoptee or a suitor of one of your daughters, he can become a rebel general instead, although I'm not too sure about that.

Even if LesserGenerals could get traits, we'd end up with a similar situation to what we have with the admirals who acquire traits--you couldn't merge them anymore. Merging only works for family members, it seems.

Sheep
06-17-2005, 11:49
we'd end up with a similar situation to what we have with the admirals who acquire traits--you couldn't merge them anymore.

SO annoying. Love when you are trying to build a fleet and half the ships come up as stupid one-star admirals so you can't merge them.

Idomeneas
06-17-2005, 21:33
Spendios is right. So far, nobody has figured out how to give traits to a "LesserGeneral". However, in the situation Spendios described, you get a "Man of the Hour" that you can adopt into your family. You can also adopt the garrison commanders, in the same way. I've heard that if you refuse the adoptee or a suitor of one of your daughters, he can become a rebel general instead, although I'm not too sure about that.

Even if LesserGenerals could get traits, we'd end up with a similar situation to what we have with the admirals who acquire traits--you couldn't merge them anymore. Merging only works for family members, it seems.

Man of the hour seems to be generated randomly also. Firstly i though that if you win a heroic battle you get your captain adopted but alas. It seems this happens only when you lack many generals. Anyway if at least we could get them in suitor line priority according to their traits it would be more realistic

Steppe Merc
06-17-2005, 23:37
We have been investgating and trying to figure out these damn general's traits and stuff. It's a bitch, especially since of course most generals were not family members (or at least not related that closely), and many factions, especially those that practiced polygomy and had concubines had far more heirs than the game will allow.