PDA

View Full Version : Realism/Modding Question

Alexander the Pretty Good
06-25-2005, 21:20
Wow. I'm full of questions. ~D

Historically, Rome didn't have a police force, right?

So will the settlement zoom-in-feature-thingy have soldiers along with the civilians? I know it's nitpicking, but I couldn't help but ask.

And would it be possible to accomplish just Rome not having police? Because I don't know if other Roman cities had enforcement units or not.

So that's my question. You guys are probably going to hate me for pointing something so trivial as that out. But I will continue to take full advantage of a friendly and responsive development team as long as I can. ~D

GoreBag
06-25-2005, 21:40
Well, Mundus Magna has soldiers wandering around in the cities; I'm sure EB will. Didn't Rome have a fire-fighting force, though?

06-25-2005, 21:46
I know but Rome itself shouldn't. That's what I'm getting at. Don't know about a fire-fighting force though.

The Wizard
06-25-2005, 21:54
We're limited skins/model-wise, so including extra villager skins and/or models will hurt the total amount of military units.

As of now we haven't formalized a real policy on the subject.

~Wiz

06-25-2005, 21:55
Yeah. I don't need a fire brigade when I could have the Belgae brigade. ~D

Dux Corvanus
06-25-2005, 22:04
Romans had a police-like cohort, the 'urban cohort' which was detached from the Pretorian Guard cohorts -which also worked often as a 'political police'. There was also, yes, a unit for the night watch and fire-extinction, the vigiles. Anyway, most of these formed and grew under Augustus's rule, and should be considered as imperial institutions, being mostly out of our time frame.

Simetrical
06-26-2005, 05:23
I doubt that EB will be spending model space on peasants wandering around town when they could use it for another few military units instead.

-Simetrical

Duncan_Hardy
06-26-2005, 10:40
Actually, this begs the question: how are the EB city models coming along? Thus far I haven't seen a siege battle screenshot; have you completed models for the buildings or are you going to do that at the end?

eadingas
06-26-2005, 10:48
We did a lot of research, but lack manpower to do them. So they will be done later... much later...

Byzantine Mercenary
06-27-2005, 13:06
surely wandering townsfolk is not too important, i don't know much about models but if you got rid of the male and female villagers and instead used peasants and some military units then you would get another one or two models free allowing you too include a few more historical units.

eadingas
06-27-2005, 13:13
We don't use peasants, and we've cut all the civilians a long time ago. The only models that will be available for walking about are military units and mounts.
We only have 250 models to use. That counts all officers, mounts, siege engines, chariots etc. not just soldiers. So we really can't spare antyhing.

Byzantine Mercenary
06-27-2005, 15:08
Glad too hear that you have got rid of the peasants i would much rather have a load of new units then a bunch of pitchfork wielding guys, although i will miss fighting against them...
Of corse i suspected that you may had already got rid of the townsfolk, it seems that whenever i suggest something you have already done it!

Simetrical
06-28-2005, 08:46
We only have 250 models to use. That counts all officers, mounts, siege engines, chariots etc. not just soldiers. So we really can't spare antyhing.
255. And it doesn't include siege engines or chariots. It does include soldiers, officers, generals, horses, camels, and elephants.

-Simetrical

eadingas
06-28-2005, 09:12
Ah. You can tell I'm not the one who does unit work, can you ;) Still, that's not much.
(where are chariots models, BTW?)