PDA

View Full Version : Teutoberg Forest Historical Battle

Afro Thunder
07-01-2005, 23:33
Is it even possible to win this battle as the Romans? It seems damn near impossible to get my troops into the city within 20 minutes, what with those pesky Germans interfering with my column.

Lancome
07-01-2005, 23:46
I did it once, all you have to do is send them as groups of 3. Send the 1st group of 3 to battle the Nazis while the rest of the army by passes them and repeat the prossess.

Afro Thunder
07-01-2005, 23:51
I figure it would be a lot easier if I didn't have that ridiculous 20 minute time limit. Hmm, maybe I should go exploring in some of the text files in the game? :rtwno:

Kekvit Irae
07-01-2005, 23:56
The first time I fought the battle, I was thoroughly wiped out because I was concentrating on getting my troops to run down the road instead of fighting. Concentrate your troops on standing and fighting. Using your cavalry to flank is the key winning tactic here. Once the majority of the troops are gone, make a beeline toward the encampment. The second and third time I played the battle I didnt have much trouble.

And Lancome, let's avoid calling the Germans "Nazis", ok? This is the Roman era, not the 1930s.

Marquis of Roland
07-02-2005, 00:08
I don't get it, I beat it first time no problem.

I guess you have to flank quick and kill them quickly to make the time limit. I think my troops ran the whole time. I made it though.

I thought the one where you're Julius Caesar fighting the gauls in a failed ambush was harder.

Marcellus
07-02-2005, 00:19
Once, out of frustration, I just selected all my units, ordered them to run into the centre of the camp, put the battle onto maximum speed and left them to it. I can't quite remember if it worked, but I have a feeling that it did! ~D I wouldn't recommend it as a tactic though. ~:)

Oaty
07-02-2005, 01:05
I made it back to camp with 19 of 20 units. Maybe I should time travel and command the Romans at the ambush. ~D

Anyways after fighting off the first few units, rorganize your column, toughest in front weakest in the middle and all your extra units and cavalry to the rear. Don't be afraid to stop your column to keep it together. Also with your cavalry at the rear you can rush them to the front if needed. I mainly used them to keep a german unit routing so they would not rally again whoe moving the column forward.

Also in this scenario don't use your infantry on routers just keep going forward and let your cavalry handle that business.

When it was over I had 16 units inside the city walls and 3 just outside and almost in

Muska Burnt
07-02-2005, 04:43
i dont know what you guys are talking about for me this is the easiest historical battle just keep your guys in formation and dont let them chase the enemy what really worked is my cavarly pretty much just routed all of them and that worked

CMcMahon
07-02-2005, 05:51
This was the only historical battle that I got through without having to resort to exploiting the AI, aside from the Siege of Sparta (and even that was still a bit of a cheap victory, I could have potentially beaten off the reinforcements but they chased after my skirmishing slingers outside of town instead of coming to the town square).

Conqueror
07-02-2005, 10:37
I played this battle once, and I got all my units to the town square in time, but I still "lost" the battle just because I was supposed to kill all of the germans and some of them survived ~:confused:

The siege of Sparta was easy for me, although it took forever to kill all the spartan hoplites. It was kind of ironic though, since I lost so many troops that it was a definite Pyrrhic victory ~D

tibilicus
07-02-2005, 13:37
I wun the first time round. ~:). I just thought of the germens moved on. Then thought them again, then moved on. Finaly i got the right amount of men in and managed to masacar the germens at the same time. A job well done! And yes it was on very hard if any of you have doubts.

professorspatula
07-02-2005, 13:45
I never completed this historical battle. Since I've slowed down battles in my game, it'll be a nightmare to even attempt now.

But anyway, I remember playing it, surviving the initial ambush with very few casualties and thinking it was going to be easy. But as I moved my army up and continued to be harassed along the way, I realised the time limit was looking a bit strict and troublesome. After working as a solid and ordered unit, with minimal casualties, I realised I wouldn't make the time limit unless I had my last remaining cavalry charge like lunatics to the city. Sadly they were exhausted and the enemy resistance near the end of the map too strong and I failed to make it in time.

It really is a strict time limit. I wasted too much time trying re-organise my army into a good defensive formation after each skirmish. I think as others have said, the key must be to keep moving when possible, having just a few units attack, and especially the cavalry on the flanks. Stoping for just a second to admire the flora and fauna is as good as conceding defeat.

The only time I was greatful of the strict time limit in a historical battle was the one where Carthage ambushes the Romans in the hills. I had just 20 or so velites left and they had 2 units of Poeni infantry. There was no way I could kill them, but the time limit ran out and I won anyway.

Dutch_guy
07-02-2005, 14:29
time is as mentioned your major enemy , since after the 2 - 3 battles you fight on your way t o the city your units will be exhausted.

I completed it with 4 units in the town and the rest of my units attacking the regrouping routers.
Which are also a major pain.

keeo on moving and only split your forces if you are running out of time.

:balloon2:

Garvanko
07-02-2005, 15:46
I played it twice. Lost badly both times.

master of the puppets
07-02-2005, 16:44
i beat this easy after the second time, stand and fight, don't run. simple as that, put the legionairs at the front and have them march (not run) and encounter each group of enemy, when legions are in combat flank with cavalry.

quite simple after you get used to it.

Coldfish
07-02-2005, 17:00
The Teutoberg Forest historical battle is easy.......the Siege Of Sparta i think is the most difficult battle

Dutch_guy
07-02-2005, 17:53
carrhea is the hardest IMHO , only beat it once - and I was very fortunate that time.

Sparta is hard, but once you battle them in the open in stead of in the streets you should be fine.

itsgottabeworthatry
07-02-2005, 18:14
carrhea is the hardest IMHO , only beat it once - and I was very fortunate that time.

Sparta is hard, but once you battle them in the open in stead of in the streets you should be fine.

Which one is Carrhea? When I have played the siege of Sparta the enemy never moves out into the open. Instead they keep on patroling the streets.
I have never won it. I have won all the other historical battles, but not the siege of Sparta. And it's so annoying...

professorspatula
07-02-2005, 18:22
Carrhea is the one where the Gauls ambush the legionaries from either side - if my memory serves me. I only played it since modifying the game, and lost. It was to and fro, but their cavalry and extremely high level infantry gradually eroded my army's resistance, to the point that there was no-one left standing. The wardogs also played havoc. They chased my general around the battlefield, making him unable to help my other troops without getting them and himself swamped with impossible to target canines.

Dutch_guy
07-02-2005, 18:32
Carrhea is the one where the Gauls ambush the legionaries from either side - if my memory serves me. I only played it since modifying the game, and lost. It was to and fro, but their cavalry and extremely high level infantry gradually eroded my army's resistance, to the point that there was no-one left standing. The wardogs also played havoc. They chased my general around the battlefield, making him unable to help my other troops without getting them and himself swamped with impossible to target canines.

no carrhea is the one where you play as Crassus, versus the parthians gold attack upgraded HA ....

professorspatula I think you mean the siege of Gergovia .

Coldfish
07-02-2005, 18:55
I won all the historical battles....beside Siege Of Sparta....Carrhae it` easy to...if you know how to use those choosen swordsmen

professorspatula
07-02-2005, 18:56
Oops. I wasn't sure at the time.

Oh well.

Rodion Romanovich
07-02-2005, 19:25
@topic starter: what? I thought Teutoburg forest was one of the easiest battles ~:confused:

I just first withstood the first assault by turning half the men to the left and half to the right, then when the enemies were pinned I charged in with my cavalry to their rear - barely lost any men at all really. Then when most were routed I formed column shift+8 with all the legionaries, whom I grouped, while hunting some routing enemies with my cavs until about 80 percent were dead. I RAN the column through the forest along the road, not stopping much unless the enemies were so many around me that my cavalry couldn't handle them alone. All roman troops in the Teutoburg battle are high experience and can handle some running and still be fit for battle. Not until I reached the second large ambush did I halt the troops again, using the same procedure as last time - turning half of the men left and half of them right and pinning the enemy, using the cavalry to charge the rear of the enemy. If I remember correctly you also have archers and stuff like that, but they don't matter much. If you deploy them cleverly you can inflict some extra casualties and draw the attention of the enemy missile troops at times, but really the battle there isn't much of a problem if you just run the men in column formation most of the time. As I said, their superior experience makes them able to fight well enough to kill the germans even when they're tired.

I think another trick is to make sure to hunt down enough of the routing enemies after the first ambush. If you do, you'll only have to fight one more battle of significant size along the way. That's a good way of saving time. Also, your cavs might get tired hunting down 90 percent of the routers from ambush one, but they can walk along the footmen at almost the same speed the footmen run, and thus get some rest so they're fit again for the last ambush. In fact, this tactic to make the router-hunting after the first ambush battle as complete as possible gives you more time. Also, as soon as all enemy units are routing, move on with the footmen while the cavs are hunting. Since most of the first ambush is gone with these tactics, they don't need any help from the cavalry until they get to the second bigger ambush.

Also I think you can win the battle by cheating by sending your cavalry only around the area where the german ambush is and reach the city. You have 100 cavalrymen so that should be enough to win the battle without any fighting. Haven't tried it myself though.

Rodion Romanovich
07-02-2005, 19:30

I quit Sparta after 30 minutes. The greeks came out of the city one or two at the time and I routed them with almost no casualties and I saved all my missile troops including artillery in case of stagnated fighting in the streets. Eventually I got bored because the greeks came out of the city a few at the time but it progressed so slowly that I quit. Just so you don't get me wrong: slow battles aren't a bad thing, in fact I'm for a lower battle speed in R:TW, but when the AI keeps suiciding troops and the obvious best tactic is to let them do that one unit at the time, but they do it so slowly it takes 60 minutes, then it's not fun. Would have been fun though if they'd all stayed in their city. Then I'd have had to intercept the reinforcement army to make sure it didn't reach the city to dig in, then fight a siege battle against spartan hoplites in narrow alleys - THAT would have been hard. As it was now, Sparta was the easiest battle of them all... Could've been my acting triggering the AI going mad in an unforeseen way because everone else is saying Sparta is one of the hardest battles.

The Stranger
07-02-2005, 20:54
i did it 1 time, but i can do it again. wasnt that hard

Rayven1
07-03-2005, 00:01
I have not beaten this either but you really are not supposed to win. 3 Legions, plus 5000+ non combattants (18,000-20,000 Romans in total) are whipped out by the Germans. Arminus betrays Varus and walks him into a perfectly laid ambush. The Romans get vengence against Arminus but they would never recover the lost territory between the Rhine and the Elbe rivers. Germanicus captures Arminus's wife and Arminus bearly escapses a full scale battle with the Romans with his skin in tact. After fighting a war with Marboduus king of the Macromanni he is murdered by his own Cherusci kinsmen. Varus should have listened to Segestes as Caesar listened to Diviciacus even though Diviciacus might have had reasons to see Caesar at odds with his bother Dumnorix.

(i'm aware Diviciacus pleaded for Caesar to not impose a harsh punishment on his brother but he still ratted him out knowing it could have ment death for his brother like it had for Orgetorix before him.)

Afro Thunder
07-03-2005, 01:56
Uhh... what? I got lost after you mentioned Germanicus. Sorry, I'm not really a complete expert on Roman history. ~:confused: Anyway, I eventually completed it, after some uh, "modifications" to the battle. I basically gave myself more than 20 minutes to complete the mission.

Jason
07-05-2005, 17:05
Yeah I have to say I'm a bit confused about this one. I managed this battle rather easily.

When you start the battle the stand and fight routine works well. I managed to get my guys into a sorta oval shape and hit the ambushers with my calvary. After that I had fun ambushing the ambushers. I took my legions and put them into two groups and marched them into the trees on either side of the road. Then I had the calvary march down the center of the road with the infantry on the flanks behind them. Then when the ambushers came out the cavalry led them by the nose back between the legions who then popped out of the woods to masacre the germans. I wiped the germans out with minimal losses and got to the city with time to spare.

Jason the Newb

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
07-05-2005, 19:55
I di okay with this battle, I got about 2/3 of my guys home. The key is to keep moving and deal with threats as they arrive. You don't need a strict formation, just don't get strung out and keep moving.

Easy.

Infidel
07-16-2005, 02:16
I did it once, all you have to do is send them as groups of 3. Send the 1st group of 3 to battle the Nazis

Battle the what?

Germans about 2000 years ago are Nazis to you?

You better turn on your brain before posting, kid.

Infidel