PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Making a new campaign map.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Myrddraal
11-08-2004, 15:21
I know there is the research post, but the info there is a bit muddled, and I missed some stuff first time round, so I though I'd start this thread, feel free to add to it if you like. Very little of this is my work, its just a gathering of information.

Here we go:

Step one:- Making your Campaign folder.

Make a new folder in \data\world\maps\campaign\ called my_campaign and copy the entire contents of the Imperial campaign into it. Also copy the contents of \data\world\maps\base\ into it.

Now go to \data\text\ and copy the file imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and rename it my_ campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt Note: This file goes in data\text folder, NOT the campaign folder

Now when you run Rome, you should see the option to play a Provincial Campaign in the Single Player menu. Your campaign should appear and it should be a playable copy of the Imperial Campaign.

Step two:- know the files

In your new folder you should find the following files:

descr_disasters.txt
descr_events.txt
descr_mercenaries.txt
descr_regions.txt
descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
descr_strat.txt
descr_terrain.txt
description.txt
description_brutii.txt
description_julii.txt
description_scipii.txt
disasters.tga
leader_pic_brutii.tga
leader_pic_julii.tga
leader_pic_scipii.tga
map.rwm
map_britons.tga
map_brutii.tga
map_carthage.tga
map_climates.tga
map_egypt.tga
map_FE.tga
map_features.tga
map_gaul.tga
map_german.tga
map_ground_types.tga
map_heights.hgt
map_heights.tga
map_illyria.tga
map_julii.tga
map_parthia.tga
map_regions.tga
map_roughness.tga
map_scipii.tga
map_seleucid.tga
map_trade_routes.tga
radar_map1.tga
radar_map2.tga
water_surface.tga

You should now delete:

map.rwm
map_heights.hgt

(you don’t need to backup as they are just copies from the Imperial Campaign)

These are files don’t do anything and can be deleted (as far as I know):

description.txt
description_brutii.txt
description_julii.txt
description_scipii.txt

Text files:

descr_disasters.txt
- contains a list of the possible disasters e.g. earthquakes and floods. We don’t need to edit this.

descr_events.txt
- this contains a list of pre-defined events that happen in game.

descr_mercenaries.txt
- This is where the availability of mercs in certain regions is determined. The pool is the overall area, the regions are the regions in this area, and the units are the units availiabe in the pool. We will need to edit this later.

descr_regions.txt
- This is one of the most important files. When we later edit the file map_regions.txt, we will define the areas of the provinces using certain RGB values. In this text file, there is a list of all the provinces on the map. This list also contains info like the name of the region (no spaces but you can use _), the name of the settlement, the default cultures, the RGB value used to define this region in map_regions.tga, the resources available in that province, the triumph point value and the basic farm level. We will be editing this a lot.

descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
- This should contain a list of all the names of provinces and towns as they are called in descr_regions.txt These aren’t the actual names as they will appear on the map, these are just references for the program.

descr_strat.txt
- This is also one of the most important files. In this file, we choose the factions, set the start/end dates, position 3D models on the campmap (e.g. wonders and resources), allocate settlements to factions, set the buildings and place armies and family members. I go into the format of this a bit later.

descr_terrain.txt
- This contains the info about the dimensions of the map.

Tga files:

disasters.tga
- Contains the locations on the map for the different disasters. This should be the same size as map_regions.tga, which should have the dimensions stated in terrain.txt

leader_pic_FACTION.tga
- Where FACTION is the faction name. This is the portrait for the first leader of that faction.

Map_FACTION.tga
- Where FACTION is the faction name. This is the image that appears when you select a faction to show what sections of the world it owns.

map_climates.tga
- This is where you set the different climates for the world. There are 12 different climates some of which will become snowed during winter.

The 12 different climates are:
Sub-Arctic - Dark Green RGB(0, 166, 81)
Alpine - Green RGB(57, 181, 74)
Highland - Light Green RGB(141, 198, 63)
Swamp - Yellow RGB(255, 242, 0)
Deep Temperate Forest - Light Orange RGB(247, 148, 29)
Light Temperate Forest - Orange RGB(242, 101, 34)
Infertile Temperate Grassland - Red RGB(237, 28, 36)
Fertile Temperate Grassland - Dark Pink RGB(237, 20, 91)
Mediterranean - Pink RGB(236, 0, 140)
Semi-Arid - Blue RGB(0, 114, 188)
Sandy Desert - Dark Purple RGB(102, 45, 145)
Rocky Desert - Mauve RGB(146, 39, 143)

The dimensions of this file should be twice the size of map_regions.tga + 1 pixel

map_FE.tga
- I’m not sure what this does, it appears to be a map of the world, but it doesn’t look like any of the radar screens.

map_features.tga
- This is where you give the position of rivers volcanoes and cliffs. For rivers you define the source, the river and the crossings using different RGB values. Cliffs are just lines you cannot cross. This should be the same size as map_regions.tga, which should have the dimensions stated in terrain.txt

Here are the RGB values:
River - Blue (0,0,255)
Volcano - Red (255,0,0)
Cliff - Yellow (255,255,0)
River Crossing - Light Blue (0,255,255)
River Source - White (255,255,255)

Rivers cannot go diagonally (i.e. from one pixel to the pixel down and to the right). They must go in steps (i.e. from one pixel, down one pixel, across one pixel). You cannot have a square of river (i.e. 2 by 2 pixels) and a river must have a source. You can have a river that splits, but it cannot re-join itself.

map_ground_types.tga
- This is where you set the textures for your campaign map (i.e. Fertile, desert etc). There are 14 different ground types defined using different RGB values. The dimensions of this file should be twice the size of map_regions.tga + 1 pixel

The RGB values are:
Fertile Low - Grey-Blue (0, 128, 128)
Fertile Medium - Light Green (96, 160, 64)
Fertile High - Olive (101, 124, 0)
Wilderness - Black (0, 0, 0)
Mountains High - Light Brown (196, 128, 128)
Mountains Low - Brown (98, 65, 65)
Hills - Olive-Brown (128, 128, 64)
Forest Dense - Dark Green (0, 64, 0)
Forest Sparse - Green (0, 128, 0)
Swamp - Bright Green (0, 255, 128)
Ocean - Dark Maroon (64, 0, 0)
Sea Deep - Dark Red (128, 0, 0)
Sea Shallow - Red (196, 0, 0)
Beach - White (0, 0, 0)

map_heights.tga
- This is where the 3D aspect of the campmap is determined.

Ground must be shades of gray (Red = Green = Blue i.e. RGB(100 100 100)). The lighter the shade of gray, the higher the point on the campmap. Do not use RGB(0 0 0), the game takes this to be water, use RGB(1 1 1) for the lowest heights.

Sea must be shades of blue (Blue = anything, Green = Red = 0). I think it is possible to use any shade of blue, but the existing campaign maps use RGB(0 0 253) so that’s a safe bet.

map_regions.tga
- Probably the most important file. It should be the size shown in desr_terrain.txt

This is where the regions are defined. Each region has a different RGB value which is then stated in descry_regions.txt as I said earlier. Each province must have a town shown by a single black pixel RGB(0 0 0). This pixel must not touch another province. Ports are shows as a single white pixel RGB(255 255 255). These must be in contact with the sea. Ports are not necessary for the game to run.

Each province must at least a city. This pixel may not touch or corner a different province.
single pixel with R:0 G:0 B:0

Ports are not necessary, even for coast provinces.
single pixel with R:255 G:255 B:255

When making your map, remember these requirements.

Required landmass
The engine requires a certain amount of landmass that is relative to the size of the campaign map. If that amount is not present than the campaign will crash before loading.

Jerome posted:

A few other caveats about regions:
- they should be 'convex' (one landmass, no inaccessible areas)*
- they should have only one settlement and only one port
- all land tiles should be part of a known region
- each non-sea region should contain at least some fertile tiles
- continuous sea surfaces should form one region
- the maximum number of regions supported is 200
- the distance between the centres of any two adjacent regions should not exceed 50 tiles*

*: not doing these things shouldn't cause a crash, but it may cause the AI to mess up.

map_roughness
- When it comes to this file, I am ignorant as to what it does, someone could help me out to finish this guide? I know that it has to be twice the size as map_regions.tga.

map_trade_routes.tga
- Again, not sure what this does. It should be the same size as map_regions.tga

radar_map1.tga
- This is the minimap for the campaign. It should be the same size as map_regions.tga

radar_map2.tga
- This is the map shown during faction selection. It should be twice the size as regions.tga

water_surface.tga
- This is a texture for the surface of the water, you won’t need to edit this.

Step 3:- Editing and adding new provinces (in detail)

This post seems very long, but reading it once is enough. Once you get the hang of it its easy.

This section of the guide can be a bit hard to follow as at some points you will have to do separate things if you are editing provinces or if you are adding a new province. The bits of this guide which are unique to editing provinces are in blue, and the bits which are unique to adding a new province are in red. Anything in black applies to both. Hope you can follow it:

Editing the size/shape of existing provinces / adding the shape of a new province to the map:

If all you want to do is edit the shape/size of a province, this section is enough.
To add a new province completely you will have to do this section and the next sections.

There couldn’t be anything easier than editing existing provinces. Adding new provinces is a bit more complicated but the principles are the same. Open up map_regions.tga in a picture editor.

As you can see, the image consists of a different RGB value representing each province. Each province has a black dot in it. This is where the town in that province will appear. There is sometimes a white dot where ports will appear. Sea is represented by light blue RGB(41 140 233)

To edit a province simply use the colour of the province you want to edit and change the size and shape of the province.

Make sure you use the same RGB value as for the rest of the province, make sure you have at least one and no more than one black pixel RGB(0 0 0) where the town will be. Remember that this pixel cannot touch another province (it must be surrounded by pixels of the colour of the province). Be wary about changing the position of the town. If you place it in an invalid place (i.e. up a mountain) you will get an error. Ports are not strictly necessary even for coastal provinces. They must touch the sea.

To add a new region just choose a colour (make sure it’s a colour that hasn’’t been used yet) and draw in your province. Remember, each province need one and no more than one town (single black pixel), and remember the recommendations Jerome posted:

A few other caveats about regions:
- they should be 'convex' (one landmass, no inaccessible areas)*
- they should have only one settlement and only one port
- all land tiles should be part of a known region
- each non-sea region should contain at least some fertile tiles
- continuous sea surfaces should form one region
- the maximum number of regions supported is 200
- the distance between the centres of any two adjacent regions should not exceed 50 tiles*

*: not doing these things shouldn't cause a crash, but it may cause the AI to mess up.

If all you’ve done is edit an existing province, make sure you have deleted map.rwm and run the game. The province should be edited.

To add a new region carry on to Editing/Adding the culture and resources and stats of provinces step

Nothing new so far, and that should be fairly easy.
Now for some extra info:

Editing / Adding the culture resources and stats of provinces:

To edit / add resources and cultures open up descr_regions.txt.

Here there should be a list of all the provinces on the map. The format for this list goes something like this:

Province_Name
--------- Town_Name
---------Culture (Faction)
---------Culture (Rebels)
---------Red Green Blue values separated by spaces
---------Resources separated by commas
---------Triumph point value
---------Basic farm level

Now I’ll go through what each one does:

Changing the names of existing provinces as they appear on the campaign map is not done in this file. The names given here are just references for the program and as you can see contain no spaces (Though they may contain underscores). I’ll come back to editing names further on.

The cultures define how loyal the people will be to nations that govern them and how they will rebel.
Culture (Faction) is the faction to which the people of this province will be most loyal too, i.e. romans_julii.
Culture (Rebels) determines which rebel faction the people of the province will join if they rebel. A list of all the rebel factions can be found in rebel_factions_descr_enums.txt in the ‘data’ folder.

The RGB value is, as I have already said, the RGB value of that province in map_regions.tga. For editing existing provinces you shouldn’t edit this if you are editing an existing province.

The resources are separated by commas and spaces.. Here is a list of existing resources:

Normal resources:
iron
wine
marble
timber
glass
gold
grain
lead
amber
camels
silver
textiles
pottery
hides
olive_oil
elephants
camels
copper
purple_dye
incense
silk
tin
wild_animals
slaves
dogs
pigs

Hidden resources
Sparta

If you don’t want the province you are editing to have any resources, simply type ‘none’ here.

I don’t know what the triumph point value is.

The basic farm level is how good at farming this province is. The higher the basic farm level, the more money you will get from building farming buildings.

Here is an example province. Yours should look something like this:

Tribus_Alanni
---------Campus_Alanni
---------scythia
---------Alans
---------177 170 58
---------silver, dogs, pigs

To edit the cultures or resources just change the stats and save

To add a new province go to the bottom of the list, and add a new province. Remember:

Province_Name
---------Town_Name
---------Culture (Faction)
---------Culture (Rebels)
---------Red Green Blue values separated by spaces
---------Resources separated by commas
---------Triumph point value
---------Basic farm level

Changing/adding the ownership, town level and buildings in a settlement,

This part of the guide contains a lot of ‘I think’ could someone please confirm what I’m saying, it will put my mind at rest.

Open up descr_strat.txt

As I said in the ‘Knowing the Files’ section, in this file it is possible to change the start/end dates, the playable/unplayable/unlockable factions. It is also possible to move around the 3D objects on the map such as the resources and the wonders of the world. It is also possible to change the armies, family members, agents and family tree of a faction. Most of these things will be self evident, but I’m going to skip them to get on to modding provinces.

Some of this will be self evident also, but I want to make this guide as simple to follow as possible so I’m going into detail:

Scroll down or search for:

;>>>> start of factions section

Here you should see a list of all the factions, within each faction area, there is a list of all the settlements, and then a list of all the family members and their armies, then a list of their agents, then a list of their ships and finally the info about their family tree. As I said, I’m going to concentrate on the settlements.

This is the basic format of a settlement (Note, the words in square brackets [] are my explanations:

settlement
{
---------level
---------region

---------year_founded
---------population
---------settlement_tax
---------plan_set
---------faction_creator
---------building
---------{
------------------[This is where the list of the buildings go]
---------}
}

The level is the size of the town, i.e. city or large_town. The possible values are:
village
town
large_town
city
large_city
huge_city

The region is simply the province in which the town is.

I don’t know what year_founded does. All the existing towns have 0 as the value here.

Population is the number of people. If you want your towns to be villiages, then they can have a huge population.

I think that with the settlement_tax, the higher the number, the more money you get from taxation (I think, but it seems that every existing town has a value of 51)

The plan_set is the layout of the town in battle.

The faction_creator determines the appearance of the town, i.e. the barbarian towns look different to the roman ones.

The list of buildings takes this format:

---------building
---------{
------------------Type [Type of building] [Name of building e.g. muster_field]
---------}

The type of building is its category as in export_descr_buildings.txt in the ‘data’ folder. This includes:
Core_buildings
defenses (notice that CA can’t spell defences)
barracks
equestrian
missiles
market
smith
port_buildings
health
hinterland_farms
hinterland_roads
hinterland_mines
academic
amphitheatres
theatres
despotic_law
caravans
taverns
temple_of_battle
temple_of_battleforge
temple_of_farming
temple_of_fertility
temple_of_forge
temple_of_fun
temple_of_governors
temple_of_healing
temple_of_horse
temple_of_hunting
temple_of_justice
temple_of_law
temple_of_leadership
temple_of_love
temple_of_naval
temple_of_one_god
temple_of_trade
temple_of_victory
temple_of_violence
temple_of_viking
temple_of_horse2

The name is its name as in export_descr_buildings.txt
To add another building just repeat this format. For example:

---------building
---------{
------------------Type barracks muster_field
---------}
---------building
---------{
------------------Type core_building governors_villa
---------}

To edit a province, just scroll down till you find it, or search for the name of the province it is in (e.g. Latium not Rome), and change the stats. Save the file, make sure you’ve deleted map.rwm and run the game.

To add a new province, find the faction you want to add it to (If you don’t want to give it to a faction add it to slaves) and scroll to the bottom of the list. Add your faction using the formatting I gave above:

settlement
{
---------level
---------region

---------year_founded
---------population
---------settlement_tax
---------plan_set
---------faction_creator
---------building
---------{
------------------[This is where the list of the buildings go]
---------}
}

Now there’s only one more thing to do before you’re province is playable.

Changing/adding the name of a province as it appears on the campmap

Open up my_campaign_regions_and_setlement_names.txt in the data\text folder.

Here you should see a list of all the references used by the comp surrounded by curly brackets {} and then three indents (tab) and the name that appears in game.

e.g.
{Britannia_Inferior}---------------------------Britannia Inferior

To edit the name as it appear on the campmap simply edit the right hand column.

To add your province at the bottom of the list add this (with your own names):

{my_province}---------------------------My Province
{my_town}---------------------------My Town

Save and quit.

You’re new province should now be working. Make sure you’ve deleted map.rwm and run the game.

Section four: Resizing the campaign map (in detail)

Resizing your campaign map is a fairly easy procces. First, open up map_regions.tga. Resize the canvas to the dimensions you want.
I recommend that you resize from the top right hand corner, as all measurements in descr_strat.txt are measured from the bottom left hand corner. If you want to resize in another direction, you will have to change all the co-ordinates in descr_strat.
I recommend you fill this new area with sea colour. You can always edit it later.

Now take a note of the new dimensions (in pixels) of map_regions.tga.

Open up desc_terrain.txt. Here you should see the x and y dimensions of the map. These are the dimensions of the map_regions.tga. Edit these so that they match the size of your map. Save and Quit.

Now you have to edit these files:
disasters.tga
map_climates.tga
map_features.tga
map_ground_types.tga
map_heights.tga
map_regions.tga
map_roughness.tga
map_trade_routes.tga

You have to resize them to the right proportions. Remember to resize from the top right hand corner (i.e. add canvas to the top and right hand sides).

Remember the dimensions of the files:
disasters.tga - The same size as map_regions.tga
map_climates.tga - Twice the size of map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_features.tga - The same size as map_regions.tga
map_ground_types.tga - Twice the size of map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_heights.tga - Twice the size as map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_roughness - Twice the size as map_regions.tga.
map_trade_routes.tga - The same size as map_regions.tga
radar_map1.tga - The same size as map_regions.tga
radar_map2.tga - Twice the size of regions.tga

As in map_regions, you should make this new area sea colour. This is not the same for every file, and some files do not require a specific colour for the sea. It should be easy enough for you to do.

Delete map.rmw, and run the game.

NB: A new map.rmw will be generated every time you run the campaign, you must delete it EVERY time. If a new one isn't generated, then it is probably an error in the tga's.

Good Luck,
Myrddraal

PacPomarnacki
11-08-2004, 15:51
Wow thats soooooo handy, thanks mate
just one thing, im presuming that with enough work you can TOTALLLY change the map ie make a brand new one?

Sinner
11-08-2004, 15:59
Good post, Myrddraal. ~:)

Only one addition I can think of right now... if setting a resource in descr_regions.txt
that you intend to be hidden, eg. Sparta in the unmodded Imperial Campaign, to allow province/region-specific units, you must also add the resource to the hidden_resources line at the beginning of export_descr_buildings.txt.

Encaitar
11-09-2004, 02:35
Just one little error I spotted:

Rivers cannot go diagonally (i.e. from one pixel to the pixel down and to the right). They must go in steps (i.e. from one pixel, down one pixel, across one pixel). You can have a square of river (i.e. 2 by 2 pixels) and a river must have a source. You can have a river that splits, but it cannot re-join itself.
That should be "You cannot have a square of river". CTDs if you do ~:)

Good job though.

Myrddraal
11-09-2004, 15:35
EDIT: I have merged the two important posts into the first post for easier access. The two posts are divided by a line.

Myrddraal
11-09-2004, 15:42
Accidental post.

Sinner
11-09-2004, 16:30
A couple of notes...

Hidden resources: these can be any unique reference, with a maximum of 64. A resource is declared as hidden in export_descr_buildings.txt.

Settlement level: can also start as huge_city.

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 17:35
I've added huge_city to the notes. Thx.

PacPomarnacki
11-19-2004, 18:27
hi guys, this giude is REALLY helpfull so thnx a lot, however i was trying to edit the map_regions file and whenever i try to start up my provincial campaign it goes back to the pick campaign screen, ive followed everything the guide says, eg using the same RGB numbers etc but it wont work, why? ~:confused: ~:confused: ~:confused:

anti_strunt
11-20-2004, 16:55
I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. :help:
I've done everything, but it still does not work...

PacPomarnacki
11-20-2004, 19:25
Sucess! ive edited the map_regions file, however im now trying to make a new region and again ive done EVERYTHING this guide has told me to do but it still will not work why :help: ~:confused:

Myrddraal
11-20-2004, 21:04
Hm, I thought I had included everything. Run the game from a shortcut with a destination like this:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Then, after it returns to the campaign selection screen, quit the game and an error should turn up explaining the fault. Hope this helps.

PacPomarnacki
11-20-2004, 22:16
Nope no error messag, it just quits to desktop when you run it from a shortcut ~:confused:

Encaitar
11-21-2004, 01:25
There are a lot of potential errors you can make/get when editing/creating a campaign map, and even the ones that generate an error message with -show_err can be hard to find. To help debug your work, you should always make only one or two changes at a time, and then test if it works. It is also a good idea to keep a couple of 'backup' copies of all the files you are working on, and each time your changes do not result in an error, update your backup. This should enable you to identify the source of any errors you get. You may not necessarily understand why the error is occuring, in which case asking on the Org is likely to get you help. But it's almost impossible for anyone to help you when you just say "I've made changes and now it's not working".

Also remember this is the Guides forum. If you have problems or questions, the General forum is a better place to ask (and more likely to get you help).

Myrddraal
11-21-2004, 16:11
Nope no error messag, it just quits to desktop when you run it from a shortcut ~:confused:

Delete the map.rmw it generated, then run it from a shortcut. The error message should appear then.

anti_strunt
11-21-2004, 19:22
OK, I get the following error message:

Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/my_camp/descr_regions.txt, at line 940, column 1.

Couldn't find region name "Libya_Super" in stringtable

What I tried to do was create a new test-province were I thought it could cause the least possible problems, so I made one from half of Libya and half of Tripolitania, and decided to call it Libya Superior (with the tag Libya_Super).

The funny thing is that I have a name for Libya_Super in the settlement and regions name file and an entry in names_lookup... Whatever am I doing wrong here?? :undecided:

dclare4
11-22-2004, 15:36
Did you put the names in the YOURCAMPAIGNNAME_REGIONS_AND_SETTLEMENTS.TXT? In the TEXT Directory? I get that a lot sometimes too, they have to be exactly the same on the left hand side list, the ones in brackets.

best regards,
Clare

anti_strunt
11-23-2004, 17:55
Well D'OH!!

Here I thought that I was supposed to put my new settlements/cities file in the world/maps/campaign/my camp folder... :dizzy2: Myrddraal, you might want to add a reminder about this so that no-one else makes the same silly mistake. ~:)

Myrddraal
11-23-2004, 23:26
Well D'OH!!

Here I thought that I was supposed to put my new settlements/cities file in the world/maps/campaign/my camp folder... :dizzy2: Myrddraal, you might want to add a reminder about this so that no-one else makes the same silly mistake. ~:)

Done. ~:)

dclare4
11-24-2004, 11:35
Maybe year founded will enable settlements to 'appear' like if you start the mod in 250BC and you have a settlement that appears in 200BC maybe it won't be there for the first fifty years?

Just a thought,
(Tom) Clare

eadingas
11-24-2004, 13:03
No, it doesn't do anything, I'm afraid. I've tried.

KarstenChu
12-11-2004, 07:48
Can anyone tell me where the textures for the ground types are? And also describe the climate types to me?

Myrddraal
12-13-2004, 15:25
This is just a copy from the guide:

The 12 different climates are:
Sub-Arctic - Dark Green RGB(0, 166, 81)
Alpine - Green RGB(57, 181, 74)
Highland - Light Green RGB(141, 198, 63)
Swamp - Yellow RGB(255, 242, 0)
Deep Temperate Forest - Light Orange RGB(247, 148, 29)
Light Temperate Forest - Orange RGB(242, 101, 34)
Infertile Temperate Grassland - Red RGB(237, 28, 36)
Fertile Temperate Grassland - Dark Pink RGB(237, 20, 91)
Mediterranean - Pink RGB(236, 0, 140)
Semi-Arid - Blue RGB(0, 114, 188)
Sandy Desert - Dark Purple RGB(102, 45, 145)
Rocky Desert - Mauve RGB(146, 39, 143)

I don't know where the textures are, if you find out, could you post as I would like to know too.

PacPomarnacki
12-13-2004, 17:29
Delete the map.rmw it generated, then run it from a shortcut. The error message should appear then.

yup done that, basically even with all the things ive tried that uve said to do it just quits to desktop when trying to run the "provincial campaign" no error message either :dizzy2:

Myrddraal
12-13-2004, 18:19
You should have to delete map.rmw before every time you run. A new one will be generated each time. If a new one isn't generated, then it is usually a problem with the image files rather than the text files. If a new one is generated, then I can't help you. I'm in that position with my map, I'm still searching for the error.

I've added this note at the bottome of the guide.

PacPomarnacki
12-14-2004, 14:12
yes a new map.rmw file is generated every time i start a new campaign, so it looks like were in the same boat then with this problem ~:handball:

scooter_the_shooter
12-19-2004, 14:26
help me please. this is my first try at modding rtw (except for making all faction playable without unlocking) i did do some for mtw (change postions, use gnome editor etc)

and in step 2 know the files i dont see some of the files listed these are the ones

descr_disasters.txt

descr_regions.txt

descr_terrain.txt

map.rwm

map_climates.tga

map_FE.tga

theres more i will complete the list later

Monkwarrior
12-19-2004, 18:02
and in step 2 know the files i dont see some of the files listed these are the ones

descr_disasters.txt

descr_regions.txt

descr_terrain.txt

map.rwm

map_climates.tga

map_FE.tga

For the imperial campaign they are in:
Data\world\maps\base
if you do a new campaign, you must have the same maps in your new folder
Data\world\maps\campaign\new_campaign
together with those in
Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

Cheers.

Myrddraal
12-19-2004, 20:54
Make a new folder in \data\world\maps\campaign\ called my_campaign and copy the entire contents of the Imperial campaign into it. Also copy the contents of \data\world\maps\base\ into it.

Now go to \data\text\ and copy the file imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and rename it my_ campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt Note: This file goes in data\text folder, NOT the campaign folder

Now when you run Rome, you should see the option to play a Provincial Campaign in the Single Player menu. Your campaign should appear and it should be a playable copy of the Imperial Campaign.

If you did that, they should all be there. It seems to me you didn't copy from \data\world\maps\base\

12-31-2004, 06:57
i have two questions
1. i'm making a map from scratch and i would like to know can you change the dimensions of the map or will that screw things up

2. can you change up the winter summer cycle to say change every couple of turns as opposed to every turn

thanks

Myrddraal
12-31-2004, 12:54
Question 1 yes, but you must change all the files to their respective new sizes, remember, some of them are twice the size of map_regions + 1 pixel

Question 2 I tried, but I'm stuck at the moment, see the scripting thread in this forumn.

12-31-2004, 19:48
cool thanks man, new question tho

the map size in descr_terrain.txt, what do those numbers represent, i'm using photoshop to edit the files, and they don't seem to correspond to pixels, so what are they

and that +1 pixel is that on both length and width

Myrddraal
12-31-2004, 20:47
The map width and height do correspond to the pixels in map_regions.tga

The plus one should be on both width and height. I think its all in the guide on page 1.

12-31-2004, 21:27
ok in the guide it says that there is a minimum amount of land mass required, how much is needed?

and i read somewhere(maybe in the guide) that the maximum number of provinces is 200, is there a minimum required as well, if so what is it?

Myrddraal
01-02-2005, 15:24
I don't think there is a minimum number of provinces.

I'm not sure about the minimum landmass. I suggest that you make as you would like it, then if it doesn't load, add some landmass.

Sorry thats not too clear, but I don't really know myself.

Encaitar
01-03-2005, 02:56
I've got a campaign map to load with only 2 regions, so there's no lower limit.

Duke John
01-03-2005, 13:10
With landmass I meant the total surface of land. During the making of my own map I made at one point only one change: reducing a large piece of land to small. The campaign wouldn't work. If I reverted it back it would work. My conclusion was that the engine needs a certain percentage of land of the total map. What that percentage is I do not know, but if your campaign doesn't work and the only thing you changed was a change in landmass then you will know what to do. This has nothing to do with the amount of regions.

Etwmodders
01-08-2005, 05:14
alright, i have never done any kind of total war modding, but am trying 2 get into it.

i have a question that may seem kinda dumb, or maybe not.
when editing the map (4 a test im makeing an island) do i need 2 add the new provence 2 all of the map_whatevers or just regions?

01-08-2005, 11:05
you also need to add the land to
map_heights.tga and map_ground_types.tga

the guide up top goes over pretty much everything, i know its long but very useful.

Myrddraal
01-08-2005, 12:14
You also have to add it to the text files descr_strat descr_regions and the names lookup and the names in the text directory.

Monkwarrior
01-08-2005, 12:15
The land or the corresponding portion of map (pixels) should be also included in map_roughness, map_features, map_climates, map_trade_routes, disasters, radar_map1 and radar_map2, in addition to the already mentioned map_height and map_ground_types.
The provinces (limits, settlement and port) are only included in map_regions.

I hope it is clear enough. :bow:

eadingas
01-08-2005, 13:22
Aargh.
Could somebody write a troubleshooting manual for campaign map editing? I get CTD, and as usual, no idea why. I have moved all the armies to a safe spot in the desert to avoid them stepping on a river or sth, I have checked the map in CMEd - no bugs, so the regions should be implemented correctly. What else can be wrong? Note that I'm only trying to add several regions to vanilla map, nothing challenging. I hate it when -show_err doesn't work, it's stumbling in the darkness then...

Monkwarrior
01-08-2005, 14:37
Could somebody write a troubleshooting manual for campaign map editing? I get CTD, and as usual, no idea why. I have moved all the armies to a safe spot in the desert to avoid them stepping on a river or sth, I have checked the map in CMEd - no bugs, so the regions should be implemented correctly. What else can be wrong? Note that I'm only trying to add several regions to vanilla map, nothing challenging. I hate it when -show_err doesn't work, it's stumbling in the darkness then...

Troubleshooting manual is a difficult task as many times we don't know why a modification doesn't work.
Did you add the regions one by one? Did you succeed in any ocassion? Could you explain the steps you followed?

What I've been doing:
- map_regions: with Photoshop 7.0 I painted the new province, with a single black pixel for settlement and a single white pixel for port. Be careful that the color is not used for another region (this causes CTD without error message).
- descr_regions_and_settlement_lookup: I write the names of region and settlement at the end of the file
- descr_regions: I copy and paste one existing region and I rename it. I change the name of the settlement and the color code (I search here for a duplicity in this code).
- {my_campaign}_regions_and_settlement_names: I copy and paste existing lines and I rename it with the names of new region and settlement.
- descr_strat: depending on the position of the region and its owner this can be the hardest part. I copy and paste one region of the same owner, I rename it (perhaps I eliminate some buildings) and I put some garrison. In general the mistakes in this file, such as incorrect positions, character names or family relationships, are detected by -show_err.
In this way I have completed a 72 provinces map starting from one with only 5.

After that I have found some other error sources causing CTD without a message, for example corruption in some of the files encoding the rebel factions, when I tried to add new rebels for the new regions. I don't know where the error was, but eliminating the rebels in descr_rebel_factions, recopying one existing rebel faction and renaming it solves the problem.

Sorry if you knew all those details.
Cheers.

eadingas
01-08-2005, 15:40
Well, the problem is this: when there are bugs in descr_strats, the game goes back to menu with error, no problem. When I fix all the bugs in descr_strats (hopefully), the game CTDs after creating map.rwm file. I didn't add any mercenaries, and proper regions are added to descr_mercenaries file. The map loads into newest CMEd, which has pretty decent bug-finding routines for things like mislocated cities and ports, besides, moving cities around doesn't help a bit.
I commented out all diplomats,spies and admirals, and moved all generals and armies to the desert.
And it still doesn't work.

Monkwarrior
01-08-2005, 16:30
The mislocation of ports and settlements are also reported by -show_err, even mistakes in descr_mercenaries.
This kind of CTD seems to be a problem of a file different from descr_strat. In my opinion you should have a look in descr_regions. Perhaps deleting the last region included and repeating the same process again.
If this doesn't work, you should take again the last successful set of files (you should have a copy ~;) ) and repeat the whole process. Sometimes I found that doing that, the game worked (even if the files were apparently identical to the previous ones).

Sorry but my knowledge is not deeper than this. :bow:

Etwmodders
01-08-2005, 17:48
thx 4 help but
i have 2 questions/problems

1.i seem to be having the same problem as PacPomarnacki was having when the game just quit when i try to run my campain. i tried the error message thing, but it didnt come up, and i deleted the map.rwm it gener8ed, but still no error message, and it makes a new map.rwm every time. help?

2. what happens if 2 of the maps dont exactly line up?

Myrddraal
01-08-2005, 20:28
That depends which two. It doesn't matter in the short term (Ie it doesn't CTD but it looks bad) if the regions and heights don't line up so long as the ports and cites are on land. the borders can go into the sea.

map_ground types and climates don't need to line up with anything.

As to your problem, have you tried downloading Duke Johns campaign map template, then take it in steps copying your map to it bit by bit. By this I mean, copy the shape of the land, then the provinces...

@Etwmodders and eadingas, in my experience, when it doesn't come up with an error, it is often an error in the images

eadingas
01-08-2005, 23:32
Well, in one case, it was a name of a greek rebel commander - as greek name is Alexandros, not Alexander :) Doh! There were a couple of other minor bugs like that. -show_err sucks on debugging descr_strat, it really should just catch on these, instead of just CTD-ing!

Duke John
01-09-2005, 14:42
Eadingas, you shouldn't do so much at once. If you mod with small things you would have immediately known that the game crashes after you added another character.

eadingas
01-10-2005, 12:45
Yeah, but I'm just unorganized like that :) Besides, sometimes I have to do more than one step at once to get some changes working - this particular case, for example, giving a province to rebels, requires moving original garrison out of the city, moving the settlement to 'rebel' section of descr_strat, and placing a rebel general in the city - that's just way too much opportunities for small bugs to mess things up.
Anyway, I still think bugs in text files like that should be caught by the debugging routine instead of just manually checking all files. Call me lazy :)

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 13:12
I added an in detail resizing the map section

dclare4
01-16-2005, 05:39
Actually I think if the province is not given to any factions it defaults to the rebs.

Clare

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 14:14
That is true.

infernalbob
01-19-2005, 18:45
This might be a stupid comment but just to be shure. I haven't created my own campain yet because i see a lot of members have been having problems with the guide and some bugs. so if i follow the guide EXACTLLY how it says their isn't going to be a problem?

Myrddraal
01-20-2005, 10:03
If you don't make any mistakes then yes. It works.

BabylonTW
01-24-2005, 06:03
i did all that u said but my campagin dosent start !!!!!! ive been working on it for like 3 days now.

what make the campgin not work?

in a list plz

Myrddraal
01-24-2005, 20:32
Are you sane? In a list? That would be a work of a lifetime. There are so many things that can make a campaign map go wrong.

Are you using the -show_err extension on your game. This may tell you where the error is. What happens, how does the error take place? Does it CTD?

Mackaaan
01-24-2005, 21:20
is it possible to make a campaign map with the width: 156 hight: 255 if you edit the descr_terrain(like if you doing a long map and not a wide map)?

Myrddraal
01-25-2005, 09:50
I can't see why not. So yes.

Monkwarrior
01-25-2005, 12:22
is it possible to make a campaign map with the width: 156 hight: 255 if you edit the descr_terrain(like if you doing a long map and not a wide map)?
The only problem will be that all the height exceeding 156 won't be visible in the radar map (left bottom corner).
If anybody knows a solution for this problem, please post it here. ~:confused:

eadingas
01-25-2005, 12:30
Delete the radar map pictures. Then the map will adjust itself, although you'll be seeing only a rough outline of land, sea and provinces (no terrain)

Mackaaan
01-25-2005, 14:55
so you mean that the map will be there but you cant go to the places the radar map doesnt show or can you? since there is a way of editing that thing in the bottom with radar map and other buttons(strat map HUD) there must be some way to fix the radar map...

eadingas
01-25-2005, 15:00
You can. If you remove the radar map picture from campaign folder, the minimap adjusts itself to the size of your map. The only drawback is that you don't see the terrain - just province borders, grey land and blue sea. It's much simpler than editing the interface :)

Monkwarrior
01-25-2005, 16:31
You can. If you remove the radar map picture from campaign folder, the minimap adjusts itself to the size of your map. The only drawback is that you don't see the terrain - just province borders, grey land and blue sea. It's much simpler than editing the interface :)
I didn't know.
Thx for the info. :bow:

Only one more question: in fact the map will be deformed, won't it?
I mean, the farther from the original size, the more deformation in the "radar_map". For example a new map with 156x255 will be converted into another with 255x156 to fit the window. ~:confused:
(Sorry if it is impossible to understand). :embarassed:

Myrddraal
01-25-2005, 16:39
It will be squashed up yes.

Duke John
01-27-2005, 07:15
I read that other mods (such as RTR) have longer waits while the AI thinks. Most probably because they have increased the map. Think about this when making a new map. You don't need to add the maximum of provinces, larger isn't always better.

warhero42
03-06-2005, 23:36
Please help me when i make a new provience it goes back to the selection window it said it can not find (place1) in script
that is what i named the new region please help i did every thing :help:

Myrddraal
03-07-2005, 13:55
Post the exact text of the error you get when you quite the game, I might be able to help. (remember to delete map.rmw or the error will not appear)

Spoonfrog
03-07-2005, 18:20
I see there are many people here having problems with campaign map editing, so I'd just like to offer this as proof that it is possible - I only read this thread for the first time last week and here I am with an almost finished campaign map already. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who posted in this thread (and this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44169) and this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39773), as they were also helpful) as I've found it extremely useful

My campaign map is an enlarged version of Sicily (one of the most inflammable areas in the imperial campaign) that starts in 264BC at the start of the First Punic War. There are three factions (all playable); the Romans (the senate), Carthage and the Greek Cities. The central regions of the map are owned by the rebels at the start. Carthage starts with lots of regions, but their eastern settlements are undeveloped with small garrisons. Rome starts with developed towns, but only 3 regions. Syracuse (the Greeks) starts somewhere in the middle.

Here are some shots (click to enlarge):

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage2_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage3_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/greece1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/senate1_thumb.jpg

All that really remains to be edited is the heights (map_heights.tga) and the ground types (ground_types.tga) before the map is almost finished.

My advice to people having problems is don't give up, and only make small, reversable changes wherever possible (where not possible always backup).

Thanks all,

Dom

Denizar
03-07-2005, 20:20
Good work! I have read somewhere of how to add new ground types - so is it possible to add any kind of new textures? I am making a map and I want to hae some black rocks...

Anyway - I though we had to do all of the tga files before being able to run them. Did you atcually idd not do the heights TGA or did you just create one with black - land and blue - water? Can you please send those tga files to me so that I can have help for my own campaign ( I am having trouble with heights and roughness). My email is : denizar@gmail.com . Also does CTF mean shutting the program and returning to desktop - like "cut to desktop"?

Denizar
03-07-2005, 20:22
Sorry - there was a slight problem wih the Guilds Database - it said I don't know why - it posted the post thee times. Can someone please delete two of those. Thanx.

Myrddraal
03-07-2005, 20:46
CTD stands for Crash To Desktop

You don't need to finish all the heights, just make a basic one with RGB 1 1 1 for land and blue for the rest

Get it running, and then add things Never do too much at once.

Denizar
03-07-2005, 21:30
definetely. Are you guys sure that you do not require 1.2 version of the game for making new campaigns?

Spoonfrog
03-08-2005, 08:57
As Myddraal said, I just used an RGB 1 1 1 for land and blue for sea in map_heights.tga while I was working on the factions and regions. Ground_types.tga allows different land types to be assigned but I don't know if the textures that are applied by the game (eg: desert, mountain, etc.) can be changed. While I was concentrating on other aspects of the map I just left ground_types.tga as all one colour (I forget which one but it is a light green) - the colour for basic farming plains (this is what you see in the first screenshots). So in answer to your question yes all the tgas must be present but I left them "blank" until I needed to change them - always change as little as possible in one go. I made this map with no patches on my game.

Anyhow, I did some heights and ground types editing last night. Here are some more screens (click to enlarge):

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen2_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen3_thumb.jpg

This is only a small amount of work on the heights so far they will be better later...

Denizar
03-08-2005, 11:58
Arrgh!
I just can't get anything to work! It either CTD or returns to the select provincial campaign screen. I delete map.rmw, and to make sure I even made a new map all from the beginning. There are some things I suspect that might be causing the problem here they are;

1 - I delete the faction names totally form the descr_strat (playable etc..) Becasue in Sons_of_mars campaign, they do not have the names of factions that do not occur anywhere.

2 - To make sure that I correctly place the armies, I put them all in one city. I delete some of the units so that the number of units does not extend 20, so they fit. I do not change any character names. I put the admirals on sea
~;)

3 - I have no sea present in this new campaign - is sea required?

4 - I have two cities only. But they are far away from each other. Is there a limit to the distance between two factions? And does this cause CTD?

5 - How do you put the descr_regions_and_settlement_names.txt I do it directly

Province 1
Province 2
Settlement 1
Settlement 2

And the one in text folder

{Province 1} Province 1
{Province 2} Province 2
{Settlement 1} Settlement 1
{Settlement 2} Settlement 2

With three tabs in between.

6 - In the descr_regions.txt is there a limit to the farming points (My max is 16)

7 - Do you need to place ALL exisiting resources on the map? I did not put any gold - silver so that I did not have to have them placed.

Anyway, these are just what comes to my mind now. I have one more question - where might I learn how to change faction banners? (Not in battle map on the top of units but the ones that appear on the screen when loading etc... )

Denizar
03-08-2005, 12:11
Ahh!

I was reading Duke Johns post somewhere - and it says that a map won't work if you do not have the senate and britons!!! I will try to add them and see if it works..

Encaitar
03-08-2005, 13:09
1. If a faction is mentioned once, it should be mentioned everywhere. However it does not need to be mentioned at all, which is what I understand you to be doing there - removing completely the excess factions. So that should be fine.

2. As long as you haven't edited anything else, it should be fine.

3. I thought you said you put the admirals on sea? Now there's no sea? Which is it? You can delete the admirals completely if you like to be on the safe side. You can have an all-land map no problem.

4. It can cause AI issues apparently, but it shouldn't be causing a CTD.

5. Apart from the actual localisation text, you should not have any whitespaces in the names. Generally you'd replace them with underscores. So what you wrote should/could be:

Province_1
Province_2
Settlement_1
Settlement_2

And the one in text folder

{Province_1} Province 1
{Province_2} Province 2
{Settlement_1} Settlement 1
{Settlement_2} Settlement 2

6. There would be a limit, but probably not one that would cause a CTD if you went over - I'd imagine it'd just round the value down to its max. If you want to be on the safe side, check the default regions file and see what the max farm value is there, and use that.

7. You can have absolutely no resources if you want.

You also don't need the Senate/britons to get a campaign map to load. However to have the full functionality of playing in a campaign, you must have both the Senate faction and the region Latium (with the city of Rome). Otherwise you'll get a CTD when you try to bring up the faction information screen (say to view diplomacy). But the map itself will work fine.

I'd say #5 is your problem, or at least part of it.

Myrddraal
03-08-2005, 13:27
your main problem is that you've deleted all the faction entries in descr_strat. In the list at the top, you must mention the factiosn you using (in the playable/non-playable/unlockable) lists.

Denizar
03-08-2005, 14:44
OK

ı am sorry I did not place the underscores on the post , however, I have them on the real thing. The resources I will delete all and try again, and I will make all the farm point same something like 10. I re edited my whole campaign map, and now I don't get CTD, but it returns to the selection screen. I sent you a mail Myrddraal, with the new files.If you can check it I will be very happy.

All the factions that are not included in the game, I deleted : I know this won't cause the problem since they used it in Sons_of_Mars.

One more thing : I removed ALL admirals and the units in.

By the way if I do have region latium but not the city of Rome - another name - will it work?

I use -show err but it doesn't seem to work. I do not get an error when I load the campaign and it returns to the selection screen : I quit no error message around

Denizar
03-08-2005, 17:13
Offff

It is no way going to work

Myrddraal
03-08-2005, 17:14
You mut not be using the show err properly, it always return an error message (when you quit the game) if it returns to the campaign selection screen.

I will have a look at the files, but I've got a lot to do, especially as I promised to get the four turns a year script released...

Spoonfrog
03-08-2005, 20:07
I have started a thread in the forge for my sicilian campaign: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44618

Denizar - it seems to me as though you have changed the entire campaign map all in one go to make your own. This is what I did first time and I had so many problems I had to start all over again. I recommend downloading the "template" stripped down campaign map by Duke John here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39773 Then edit things one step at a time and test the map every time you make a change so you know exactly what is causing the problems when they occur.

Also, I have been able to get a map to work without the senate or britannia present but i cannot make it work with any other roman faction other than the senate (perhaps Latium and Rome are required if other roman factions are present).

RomanCitizen321
03-08-2005, 23:53
When editing the climate and feature maps, should I edit them first and then resize them? Or should I resize them and then edit? Either way it seems very difficult to make sure I don't accidently put some trees in the mediterranean sea! Also, has anyone been able to get a completely new map up and running. One that doesn't CTD after the first turn...

Just wondering if it can really be done.

Citizen

Spoonfrog
03-09-2005, 08:45
In my opinion it is better to resize first, but you could edit first then resize so long as you have the resize set to "nearest neighbour" not "bicubic".

Putting trees in the sea will not mess the game up or even cause any problems so far as I know. To make the coast on your map_ground_types.tga map correspond with the coast on map_regions.tga: For this example assume map_regions.tga = 100x60. Resize map_regions.tga to 201x121 (twice the size +1 pixel) and select all > copy. Paste into a new layer on map_ground_types.tga. You can then draw round the coast onto map_ground_types usind the new layer as a template. When you are finished delete the layer with the enlarged map_regions.tga on it.

If your map is CTD after the first turn try making sure that the settlement culture in descr_regions.txt is the same as the faction_creator in decr_strat.txt or that there are no AI land units in the sea or navies on the land. These were two things that I found to cause the CTD after first turn.

In my opinion it is better to resize first, but you could edit first then resize so long as you have the resize set to "nearest neighbour" not "bicubic". Read a few posts up and you will see some shots of my Sicily campaign that is currently fully playable though not yet quite finished. Don't worry it is possible, just keep at it and you will get there eventually.

03-09-2005, 09:12
Spoonfrog you're beautiful
i started a thread called ' an unusual problem ' the game kept crashing after one turn, and nobody seemed to know why, i think

If your map is CTD after the first turn try making sure that the settlement culture in descr_regions.txt is the same as the faction_creator in decr_strat.txt

this will actually take care of the problem. i wasn't watching for that, and i'm quite certain i have a few instances where this could have occured.

thanks alot mang :bow:

Myrddraal
03-09-2005, 13:41
Also, has anyone been able to get a completely new map up and running. One that doesn't CTD after the first turn...

Just wondering if it can really be done.

Citizen
Yes check out any major mod, they all have new maps. ~:)

If you can't get it to work, send the files to
the.mad.toad@gmail.com
PM when you send it. I will have a look and see if I can help...

Spoonfrog
03-10-2005, 17:30
Anyone got any idea why my map_faction.tga files aren't working? They were just copies from the imperial campaign, but i edited them (didnt change the size or anything) and now they are not displayed on faction selection.

Also does anyone know how to add a description to the provinicial campaign. I have tried adding {MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR}blablabla to campaign_descriptions.txt and MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR to lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt but no luck.

Myrddraal
03-10-2005, 17:46
I haven't tried so I don't know, but I haven't seen a place for them to go...

Denizar
03-10-2005, 17:51
I bought the original game and reinstalled it. My map worked :)
~;)

Monkwarrior
03-10-2005, 18:10
Anyone got any idea why my map_faction.tga files aren't working? They were just copies from the imperial campaign, but i edited them (didnt change the size or anything) and now they are not displayed on faction selection.

Also does anyone know how to add a description to the provinicial campaign. I have tried adding {MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR}blablabla to campaign_descriptions.txt and MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR to lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt but no luck.

~:confused: I've never found a problem with those maps. Are you sure that you saved them as tga? Did you check the exact name of the faction? Did you save them in the correct folder? ~D

I didn't succed in adding a campaign description ~:confused: . Only faction descriptions for the provincial campaign.

Myrddraal
03-10-2005, 20:38
Heres an idea, check the setting you saved the tga's with the orginial. Are they compressed? are they 32 bit?

Spoonfrog
03-10-2005, 21:37
They are definately tgas I'm not very skilled with photoshop I'm not sure how to check whether the originals in the imperial are 32bit or not but I know I saved mine as 32bit. I have managed to get the radar maps to work alright, so this is strange...

Myrddraal
03-10-2005, 21:49
It should be 24 bit compressed i think

03-11-2005, 07:44
you know i take that back spoonfrog you're not beautiful, that didn't solve my problem.... ok you're still beautiful, but my problem remains. check out
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=712712#post712712
if you could help that would be great. but the reason i came back to this thread.

does anyone here know the maximum size a campaign map can be?
thanks

Spoonfrog
03-16-2005, 19:58
Is it possible to change the way towns of certain factions appear in the campaign map? Ie: is it possible to create a new "town set"for a faction, or are we stuck with the ones that appear currently in the game?

Laridus Konivaich
03-18-2005, 03:08
What have others tried in relation to descriptions for Provincial Campaings? The obvious files to edit are campaign_descriptions.txt and lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt, but maybe there is another file somewhere? menu_text_descr.txt has these
UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_TITLE
UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELECT
UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_DESCRIPTION
UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELECT_FACTION mentions of the Provincial Campaign, and we can see the field which says "NO DESCRIPTION", so there should be a way to add a description. My guess is that there is another file.

Spoonfrog
03-18-2005, 08:52
Data/text/campaign_descriptions.txt

This file links the lookup names in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt so for example:

in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE
IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR

and in campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE}Seleucids
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR}The death of Alexander the Great brought dissolution to his empire almost before his corpse was cold. It may have been the largest empire the world had ever...

The names must match in order for the game to understand.

03-19-2005, 21:30
Data/text/campaign_descriptions.txt

This file links the lookup names in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt so for example:

in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE
IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR

and in campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE}Seleucids
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR}The death of Alexander the Great brought dissolution to his empire almost before his corpse was cold. It may have been the largest empire the world had ever...

The names must match in order for the game to understand.

spoonfrog does this mean you've been able to get a description to show up, for the provincial campaign other than 'No Descrition'???

and the file lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt, dosen't do anything, i don't think, i've was able to include faction descriptions into the game without including anything into the lookup file. i cannot however get anything to show up for the provincial campaign description, even with including it in the lookup file

Spoonfrog
03-20-2005, 11:31
No, I don't know of anyone who has managed to get the provincial campaign description to show up. I don't think it is possible at the moment.

Myrddraal
03-20-2005, 15:02
I don't think so either...

Teucer
03-20-2005, 21:22
Hey guys, As you can see I'm new here..... I had the brilliant idea to jump into the RTW modding scene headfirst by starting a new campaign map for a Rise of Rome mod I'm working on.

I read all the guides and as far as I can tell I've done everything right.... except the map still won't load. ~:confused:

If someone hw=ere with a little more experience in these matters would like to help me debug the map I'd be eternally grateful... I'm at my wit's end!

Here are a few specs"

-dimentions 281 by 156
-roughly 57% land
-tga dimentions have been triple checked
-character names reworked... these work in custom battles
-hundreds of new provinces with ports and capitals (these all check out in the TiME editor)
-no resources yet
-no mercenaries yet
-For a while, the map would crash back to the campaign screen, but for no apparent reason it now crashes straight to the desktop without any error message
-I thought that perhaps there was't enough dry-land on the map, so I added a large stripe of solid land to the far right side just as a test... it still won't work
-I have both Rome and Latium present
-no characters/resources/wonders are located on innapropriate terrain

If anyone can help me with this I'd be overjoyed... I hope to be able to continue work on my mod, but this has slowed me down, to say the least!

I can send the campaign files if anyone should have the desire to take a look at them...

Spoonfrog
03-20-2005, 21:36
I know how you feel I'm having the same problem with a campaign map I'm working on at the moment. Feel free to send me the files and I will have a look - perhaps it will help me to look at someone else's problems lol. I'll pm you my e-mail address.

Myrddraal
03-20-2005, 22:38
Hi and welcome to the forums, do you use msn?

Send me the files to the.mad.toad@gmail.com and I'll look through them for you...

Teucer
03-25-2005, 13:34
Any luck you guys??? ~:confused: I think its probably a problem in the tgas... I'm going to look through them again ASAP, ut I've re-checked them so many times, I don't really know what could be wrong.

Spoonfrog
03-28-2005, 14:11
I think its more likely a problem with the text files... I haven't had time to take a proper look yet but I promise I will soon :)

Myrddraal
03-28-2005, 23:48
Sorry for the delay Teucer, I've looked through you files and let me say one important thing. you've tried to do far far too much in one go. You should do it bit by bit so that you can find errors easily.

map_regions.tga:
There are hundreds of towns in contact on the edge of a province. In contact with the sea or with another province. This will cause errors, though not the error your getting I think. There are also ports in contact with several provinces, and I think there was one enclosed port on one of the islands to the west of the meditaranean.

map_features.tga:
You have left gaps where you should have put fords. Check the existing ones for examples.

Here are some tips to help you find the error:
Back up your files then reduce it to the most basic type - make ground types all grass, remove all factions but two (senate and another one) and remove all settlement entries apart from two (the ones you give to those two factions) as this will mean that all settlements will default to villages with 0 pop. Get rid of all features etc etc.

Then see if it works. If it does, then implement the parts bit by bit till you find the errors. I know this seems like a lot, but its the only way. You'll never find the error(s) in the amount of work you've done.

Spoonfrog
03-29-2005, 15:22
I concur.

Myrddraal
03-29-2005, 19:00
Oh yes and I forgot that you have a province in the north which has no town and no entry in descr_regions.txt

Spoonfrog
03-29-2005, 20:39
Having said that, your map does look very interesting, keep going and don't give up ~:) Is it for a mod or just stand alone?

Teucer
03-30-2005, 13:13
Hey thanks guys... I'm taking your advice with some success... it still won't run, but I've fixed a lot of bugs.

As for the map, its for a project I've been working on myself for a while, but I may go public with the mod once I have the map up and running. The setting is italy around 500 BC, just after Rome thrw out the kings and established the Republic.

WhiteWolf
04-03-2005, 05:04
Hello I have followed the guide and I must thank everyone who has put this together as it has been very helpful however I seem to have run into some trouble here. I am trying to get my campaign map working but currently stumped as to just where my error is. I did a little additon to my ground types map and tried to relode and it CTD so I went back and brought my backup back (which was working btw) and now all I seem to get is CTD and no rwm generation either. I dont suppose someone would perhaps be willing to help a fellow out, Im afraid all I have to offer is my gratitude

knoddy
04-03-2005, 06:35
hmm i had a similar problem and have no idea how to fix i had to basically restart mine again maybe someone else can offer more constructive help but on another note u aren't a David Gemmell fan are u(looking at ur name WhiteWolf). if so the u have to check out our Drenai mod at http://s10.invisionfree.com/Drenai_Total_War/index.php? if u aint a gemmell fan check it out anyway cheers.

Spoonfrog
04-03-2005, 11:24
Make map_ground_types.tga all one colour (I use the high-fertility green, but it doesn't really matter so long as it isn't mountains or sea), divide your map into two regions, owned by the senate and Britannia and go from there.

If you say your backup was previously working but you went back to it and now it doesn't work, it must be the case that you didn't backup EVERY file, or you haven't used the backup correctly. There are so many things that could potentially go wrong with this - it is very hard for anyone to help you, even when you have given details like yours.

If you're really stumped after having tried the above, send me the files and i will look through them ~:handball:

Encaitar
04-03-2005, 11:34
I presume you're using the show_err switch and it's giving you nothing?

Try checking all the map files to make sure that there aren't any tiles that are given as sea in one but land in another. Also think back to the changes you've made since it last worked: is map_ground_types the only thing you've changed? Have any txt files been altered?

PROMETHEUS
04-03-2005, 12:04
HI i AM MAKING A NEW MAP completely redrawed all the maps , so far I made

heights

roughness

climates

terrain

region map with 5 regions

now I need to make the text files to make it work , could u help me telling me what files I should edit now and how?

I did all the work via photoshop and not the editor , I respected all the conditions and size issues that had to following other tutorials here in this same thread , but when I sent the files to a friend of mine more expert in text editing he said the game CTD after he did the files , he thinks he had to edit a text file to say that there are only 5 factions but I am not understanding of what he is talking about and he didnt try it anymore since is away now ..... can u help me ?

here is a map I have done ......

Removed: http://img65.exs.cx/img65/1050/58dn.jpg

Monkwarrior
04-03-2005, 14:59
Do you mean, prometheus, that you did all the maps without testing them? :dizzy2:

You have to edit at least
descr_terrain (this is only to put the correct dimensions of your new map_regions in pixels)
descr_regions
descr_regions_and_settlement_names_lookup
descr_strat

There are other files not so important for the campaign to run:
descr_disasters
descr_events
descr_mercenaries
description

If you want me to try to do the first scripts, please PM. In principle it should not be too hard for a 5 regions map.

Cheers!

WhiteWolf
04-03-2005, 18:57
Prometheus I might be mistaken here but I was under the impression that that heights file was suppose to be blue for the water and shades of gray for the land, yours seems to look brown.

WhiteWolf
04-03-2005, 19:03
I presume you're using the show_err switch and it's giving you nothing?

Try checking all the map files to make sure that there aren't any tiles that are given as sea in one but land in another. Also think back to the changes you've made since it last worked: is map_ground_types the only thing you've changed? Have any txt files been altered?

Yea I am using show_err and all it get is an imediate CTD after I choose the faction and click start. The strange thing is that it seems that the problem lies in my tga images because I am no longer getting a rwm file to generate however I had the map working previously and restored those backups I made and now I still get a ctd where before I actually had the map working and was able to load and play it. This is kind of where I am stumped atm. You mentioned however about checking and making sure the land and see line up on the various layers, does this include all layers? or just certain ones that must line up perfectly? Like for example does the larger ground type tga need to line up perfectly with the smaller region tga?

Myrddraal
04-03-2005, 20:01
Actually, the ground types don't need to line up with anything, which is why its a good bug finding method to make the entire ground types just grass. Sea regions are worked out by heights...

Regions doesn't strictly need to line up, but it can cause wierd effects if you stray too far.

eadingas
04-03-2005, 22:05
Actually in 1.2 most of the problems with regions get solved automatically - it fills up where they're too small, cuts where they're too big etc.

PROMETHEUS
04-04-2005, 14:56
Do you mean, prometheus, that you did all the maps without testing them?

You have to edit at least
descr_terrain (this is only to put the correct dimensions of your new map_regions in pixels)
descr_regions
descr_regions_and_settlement_names_lookup
descr_strat

There are other files not so important for the campaign to run:
descr_disasters
descr_events
descr_mercenaries
description

If you want me to try to do the first scripts, please PM. In principle it should not be too hard for a 5 regions map.

THANKS I PMED YOU....

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.
Prometheus I might be mistaken here but I was under the impression that that heights file was suppose to be blue for the water and shades of gray for the land, yours seems to look brown.

This is a preview map that I altered in colours just to be more nice , the height map is still grey and blue....

PROMETHEUS
04-05-2005, 12:23
Thanks for ur help Monkwarrior, unfortunately seems that hotmail recognizes something in ur mail as a virus , could u try to upload what u edited somewhere else? Do u know what could be the problem?

Monkwarrior
04-05-2005, 12:34
Thanks for ur help Monkwarrior, unfortunately seems that hotmail recognizes something in ur mail as a virus , could u try to upload what u edited somewhere else? Do u know what could be the problem?
Yeah, I have the same problem some time ago with the hotmail addresses. All the zip, rar and exe files are recognized as virus, whereas Norton (in yahoo) and Norman (in my PC) say there is no virus in there.
I have no other place to upload it. Have you another e-mail address, yahoo for example?

PROMETHEUS
04-05-2005, 13:30
no anyway i relooked to the map , the size should be fine since is the double of the smaller ones plus one pixel more, the colour of the sea instead i have fixed since u where right there and i uniformized ..... tough my problem is inmaking the text files to make work 5 regions .....

thelordskinner
04-07-2005, 14:08
Hi every body!

I would like to learn how to make just a blank map but not edit the regions like COMPLETLY flat and all grassland?

Myrddraal
04-07-2005, 15:22
Hi thelordskinner,

Well to do that, just make map_heights.tga all dark grey (RGB 1,1,1)
and map map_ground_types all grassland

You can also get rid of rivers and volcanoes in map_features by just filling it with black

But you can save a lot of time by downloading Duke Johns basic campaign. Its not quite all grass, it has some sea at the edges. This would save you a lot of time...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=651604&postcount=2

thelordskinner
04-08-2005, 03:32
Thanks Man!

thelordskinner
04-08-2005, 11:01
Script Error in Data/world/maps/campaing/mod Descr_regions.,txt at line 482 colum 5 Could not find settlment name of Rome in Stringtable

Was The Error Message But I have Rome In The mod_regions_settlments.txt thingy in the Data/text folder!

Monkwarrior
04-08-2005, 11:50
Script Error in Data/world/maps/campaing/mod Descr_regions.,txt at line 482 colum 5 Could not find settlment name of Rome in Stringtable

Was The Error Message But I have Rome In The mod_regions_settlments.txt thingy in the Data/text folder!
Rome as settlement in Latium region must appear in descr_regions and descr_regions_and_settlement_names_lookup. Both files must be placed in Data\world\maps\campaign\mod.

After that, you can rename Rome in mod_regions_and_settlement_names (in text folder) as you want.

thelordskinner
04-08-2005, 14:09
Thanks!

WhiteWolf
04-11-2005, 03:55
Hi thelordskinner,

Well to do that, just make map_heights.tga all dark grey (RGB 1,1,1)
and map map_ground_types all grassland

You can also get rid of rivers and volcanoes in map_features by just filling it with black

But you can save a lot of time by downloading Duke Johns basic campaign. Its not quite all grass, it has some sea at the edges. This would save you a lot of time...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=651604&postcount=2

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any problems with this basic template?? I downloaded it and ran it just to make sure it works and all I am getting is a CTD every time (and I have made absolutly no changes). I have tried running it through the link provided in the zip as well as the through the provincial campaign and I get the same result.

I seem to have my map back up and running and a rwm file is generating however I think I am still missing some problems with the text files somewhere however show_err does not seem to be working either. Does anyone know of any issues that would cause a CTD, and leave no message from show_err, but still generate a rwm file???

Myrddraal
04-14-2005, 12:52
Well I downloaded it and it worked fine. R u using and edited unit text file? I believe the british and roman general units are used....

WhiteWolf
04-14-2005, 16:30
Well I downloaded it and it worked fine. R u using and edited unit text file? I believe the british and roman general units are used....

Hmmm as a matter of fact I am however my changes were with the models and not the entries in the export_descr_unit.txt file which if I remeber correctly is what the world map text file entries refer to, however I could be forgetting something here. Thanks this gives me another thing to check :bow:

TheBladeRoden
04-20-2005, 05:35
Hey, my new campaign map just has the original map so far. It worked until I tried increasing the canvas size of the maps. That's when it starts crashing with no error message. I'm no math wiz but these dimensions shouls work right?

map_regions.tga - 299x255
disasters.tga - 299x255 The same size as map_regions.tga
map_climates.tga - 599x511 Twice the size of map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_features.tga - 299x255 The same size as map_regions.tga
map_ground_types.tga - 599x511 Twice the size of map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_heights.tga - 599x511 Twice the size as map_regions.tga + one pixel
map_roughness - 598x510 Twice the size as map_regions.tga.
map_trade_routes.tga - 299x255 The same size as map_regions.tga
radar_map1.tga - 299x255 The same size as map_regions.tga
radar_map2.tga - 598x510 Twice the size of regions.tga

Myrddraal
04-20-2005, 08:27
Those are correct. And welcome to the forum Blade :smile:

What did you add in the expanded areas of the map? Just sea? Did you expand from the bottom left hand corner? If not did you change the coordinates of all the armies in descr_strat.txt?

Theres a check list for you to check :wink:

TheBladeRoden
04-20-2005, 18:54
ah, woops, in map ground types I made the are black instead of dark red. I shall see if that fixes anything

TheBladeRoden
04-20-2005, 18:56
Now is a good time to wish I had an edit button

Myrddraal
04-21-2005, 08:21
Its the workings of the forum. Your a Junior Member. Once you get a certain post count you'll get an edit button.... If I remember correctly its not a large count. :smile:

Classic
04-25-2005, 23:35
Well, i don't know if it is a well known stupid problem unknown only to me...
I have built an enlarged to north, east, south and west map.
The enlarging in west direction is minimum, two pixels.
Is not my first new RTW map, i used the common security-strategy, changing the things step by step ever testing and solving the various problems, but this one I never experienced (i don't know if I was lucky in precedent maps).
In the south west direction, in a map zone of the original one, not new areas, during the play, if i put the arrow cursor in the map or radar minimap too, a big red intense light appear on ground, and the game become really slow..
Sometimes there were two lights of the same coulour of the faction of the area.
When the cursor come away by this area, the game come back to the normality and the red lights stains disappear.
If the screen "watch" the area, but the cursor is distant from it, the land have the normal appearence, the problem start only when the arrow comes in this damned zone.
This is a not deeply reworked map zone, i only changed the provincial borders, not ground types, climates etc.
As said, i ever tested the map after all the changes, but i don't remember if i never controlled this specific zone, generally i concentrate my attention in the new areas, so i don't know if is a problem existing since first steps or is a new gift of the system...
Someone knows what is the problem... and the solution?
Thanks

Myrddraal
04-26-2005, 10:35
That is very wierd... Could we have some screenshots?

And welcome to the forum, I hope people here can help out :smile:

Classic
04-26-2005, 17:33
Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/926/rometw20050426173858607ov.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/9559/rometw20050426173919531vk.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/1293/rometw20050426174037477pi.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/8095/rometw20050426174142942cr.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/507/rometw20050426174209446uq.jpg

I'm a little ingnorant in posting oparations, i hope they will appear

Classic
04-26-2005, 17:39
Ok, I try again

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/8535/rometw20050426173858601yt.th.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/904/rometw20050426173919538ga.th.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/1861/rometw20050426174037478av.th.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/5852/rometw20050426174142945hf.th.jpg

Removed: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/9854/rometw20050426174209444ok.th.jpg

Classic
04-26-2005, 17:42
I read only now in posting rules that i can't post pics or images links... there's another way?

Meneldil
04-26-2005, 17:57
I do not think there's a problem if you post image with image shack

Anyway, about your problem, I know it does happen on some computers, and not on some others. It usually happens in corners (as well as some other problems such as province borders disappearing, dense forest becoming all black and river being buggy).

I don't think it happens with vanilla map, but it does with RTR map, mundus magnus and Diadochi TW on my computer.

Monkwarrior
04-26-2005, 18:10
I do not think there's a problem if you post image with image shack

Anyway, about your problem, I know it does happen on some computers, and not on some others. It usually happens in corners (as well as some other problems such as province borders disappearing, dense forest becoming all black and river being buggy).

I don't think it happens with vanilla map, but it does with RTR map, mundus magnus and Diadochi TW on my computer.
Yes, it is quite strange as in the north part of my map for Iberia: Total War the dense forests appear as black, and even the names of the settlement don't appear. However, after some turns they are visible in a correct form. In some cases it seemed to me that it was after building roads, but I'm not sure. ~:confused: ~:confused: ~:confused:

Myrddraal
04-26-2005, 19:04
Don't worry, theres no problem with posting images, where did you read that you couldn't?

Meneldil + Monkwarrior, you say you've had forests go black, but this looks a bit more serious. There are vast stretches of blue and red.... Have you seen anything like it?

Meneldil
04-26-2005, 20:02
Well, I had forests going black as well as the lag and colored fog you can see on the pics classic posted. All those problem seem to be related IMO.

Classic
04-26-2005, 23:22
I used imageshack few hours ago, well i try again...

Removed: http://img98.echo.cx/img98/1709/rometw20050426173858609ef.jpg

Removed: http://img98.echo.cx/img98/6633/rometw20050426173919536hd.jpg

Removed: http://img98.echo.cx/img98/2583/rometw20050426174037470wo.jpg

Removed: http://img98.echo.cx/img98/8448/rometw20050426174142945mo.jpg

richyg13
05-04-2005, 17:56
Hi, im trying to make a new map of the americas (north and south) got everything done (or so it seems) but im still getting CTDs. only thing that crosses my mind is i have region areas that cross over into water ground types so i thought id ask if this could be causing the problem before painstakingly modding the land mass to fit the regions.

I have the show err command in the shortcut but no errors appear.

Any suggestions other than what ive thought of are welcome.

Laridus Konivaich
05-04-2005, 18:01
Landmass fitting the regions will not cause a CTD, they just look a bit silly.

Right dimmensions in desrc_terrain.txt?

richyg13
05-04-2005, 19:46
The dimensions are correct, i just double checked... everything was created with the newest 'TRIVIUM INDEPENDANT MAP EDITOR' so all dimensions should are fine.

The editor does not show any errors either when saving.

I've set all the land to low fertility for now, i assume this is fine?? the map_heights.tga matches the map_ground_types.tga with all heights set to RGB 1 1 1.

There are 5 regions set for now; South America, Mexico, North America, Canada and Latium (to make it work with the senate). All have a city and port. I think its crashing when trying to make the new map.rwm

Rodion Romanovich
05-05-2005, 09:06
I've completed step 1, but I can't run the campaign map. When I select a faction and choose to play it, the loading screen appears, but when the loading bar is full the game will CTD every time.

I tried to delete:
map.rwm
map_heights.hgt

but it still didn't work. BTW map.rwm didn't exist so I couldn't delete it. What have I done wrong?

Laridus Konivaich
05-18-2005, 05:41
richyg13: since it is a CTD at the loading bar, the issue is not caused in beuilding map.rwm, that is finished before the loading bar starts, from my observations. I can't think of very many knwon things that cause a ctd after the load bar. One time I had a fleet placed in a forest, which caused a ctd there. I think that this could be caused by some syntax errors. You might try adding more land, in case there is too much water on the map. I have experienced that error before after the loading bar.

Myrddraal
05-18-2005, 08:51
Legio, if you've only just started, use this:
You can save a lot of time by downloading Duke Johns basic campaign. Its not quite all grass, it has some sea at the edges. This would save you a lot of time...
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...604&postcount=2

Rodion Romanovich
05-18-2005, 12:28
Link is corrupt... BTW I think I've found an alternative way of making a campaign map, which I think works too. Thanks anyway I'll stop by here if the other method didn't work...

Myrddraal
05-18-2005, 12:37
Do you mean the editor? There is no other way, the editor just help you do what this tutorial explains :smile:

Tittils
05-18-2005, 16:12
If you're including roman factions, you must include the cities that the senate asks you to take the first turn, such as segesta, syracuse and apollonia. I had a similar problem, and when I included these cities, it went fine.

Monkwarrior
05-18-2005, 16:51
If you're including roman factions, you must include the cities that the senate asks you to take the first turn, such as segesta, syracuse and apollonia. I had a similar problem, and when I included these cities, it went fine.
Are those three the only cities necessary? Isn't there any problem of CTD when the campaign progresses?

Rodion Romanovich
05-18-2005, 17:23
Do you mean the editor? There is no other way, the editor just help you do what this tutorial explains :smile:

What I'm trying is to not use the provincial campaign option, but instead replace the main game files and start without a command line and play as usual. I haven't run into any problems yet...

Tittils
05-18-2005, 21:49
Are those three the only cities necessary? Isn't there any problem of CTD when the campaign progresses?
Yes, as far as I know, I haven't had any problems with my new map (90 + provinces) and I have already played 60 turns. Each roman faction must be given their "usual" cities in the first senate mission. In the following missions they are chosen randomly.

- Tittils -

Spoonfrog
06-01-2005, 18:35
Anyone know how to make volcanoes work? I have tried setting the frequency to 1 or 2 in descr_disasters.txt but with no success...

Monkwarrior
06-01-2005, 18:57
Anyone know how to make volcanoes work? I have tried setting the frequency to 1 or 2 in descr_disasters.txt but with no success...
I only know the method of descr_events.txt.
There you can put the position of the volcano in the map (coordinates) and the date.
That means that it is not at random but in determined dates.
This is from my own mod:

event eruption_at_etna
date 9 winter
position 208, 99

It works, but I don't know any other method.

Spoonfrog
06-01-2005, 21:16
Still no luck. Is the date specified a number of turns or the actual game date?

Monkwarrior
06-01-2005, 23:01
Still no luck. Is the date specified a number of turns or the actual game date?
Sorry, I'm not sure. :embarassed: It's perhaps the number of years from the campaign start, but not 100% sure. I remember that it happened around 260 BC and the campaign starts in 270 BC.
As the volcano appears in the map, I imagine that the red? pixel is in disasters.tga. Just be sure that the location corresponds exactly to that position.

Good luck. ~;)

Spoonfrog
06-02-2005, 11:09
Success. You need to have an army within sight of the volcano for it to erupt, I didn't have that before - :embarassed: silly me :embarassed:

DeciusAemilius
06-04-2005, 23:30
Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've created a test campaign and then added the province of "Tripolitiania Inferior" in Libya, figuring that would be a safe place. It seemed to work -- I can load the map, move units into and out of the city, build buildings, and run through several turns without problems. HOWEVER if I try to fight a battle it crashes to the desktop afterward. It's very odd. I can actually fight the entire battle on the battlefield, but whether I take personal command or autocalc, as soon as I click the checkbox to close the results window, CTD. It's not affected my Imperial Campaign. So what did I do wrong?

Spoonfrog
06-05-2005, 11:59
Very odd.... The only thing I can think of - Are you loading a saved game that was saved before you edited the map, or have you started a new campaign game?

Monkwarrior
06-05-2005, 14:33
@DeciusAemilius

Did you check different factions? In all cases the CTD occurs?
Did you change any other file, for example descr_model_battle or export_descr_units?
Does the CTD happen also in the imperial campaign?
It would be important to see if this is a general problem or it is limited to several factions and/or regions.

DeciusAemilius
06-05-2005, 19:39
It's a very specific problem. It ONLY occurs when I have a battle at the city I added. Any other battle, in the test campaign or elsewhere, is no problem. But if I, say, attack the city I added with the Scipii, having given it to the rebels, once the battle is over and I click the close-results checkbox, CTD.

Spoonfrog
06-07-2005, 09:44

I am finding that you need Apulia, Campania and Umbria too (I think)...

Monkwarrior
06-07-2005, 11:16
It's a very specific problem. It ONLY occurs when I have a battle at the city I added. Any other battle, in the test campaign or elsewhere, is no problem. But if I, say, attack the city I added with the Scipii, having given it to the rebels, once the battle is over and I click the close-results checkbox, CTD.
I think you must check all the data related to that region, specially the rebels assigned.
Did you change any other file of the game?
If you want I have a look into the modified files, please send me a PM.

PROMETHEUS
06-19-2005, 02:05
Two questions , I have made a complete new map but I am not able to make appear the proper radar maps , dunno why I made the proper files , dimensions and sizes but nothing appears , also how do I avoit the coasts to be squares and angles , ? seems an effect of the new map only that I can't have really soft curves lines....

Myrddraal
06-19-2005, 15:28
The only thing I can think of for the coasts is that the heights don't need to fit the regions exactly, if it does, it comes out very pixelised.

PROMETHEUS
06-19-2005, 15:47
I was making fix of the coastlines in my map , but altought I fixed the main problem , still some are remeaning , so you know how I can fix this ?

Removed: http://img41.echo.cx/img41/2886/12ty.jpg

eadingas
06-19-2005, 16:55
all coastal pixels need height to be 1.

PROMETHEUS
06-19-2005, 17:30
1 of what?

blindfaithnogod
06-19-2005, 19:53
he means in the heights tga. you need the coast line to have a color value of 1,1,1

PROMETHEUS
06-20-2005, 00:45
Yes I did this but didnt solve the problem couse now the extrusion form the coastline is internal instead of external .... ~:confused:

EEGamer4ever
06-20-2005, 14:59
I've made my own map, after reading the tutorial and things... got some errors but they were solved with help from people from TWC... but now, when I try to load the campaign, it gives a CTD (before showing the loading bar). I looked for bugs in descr_strat, descr_units (I've made some new) and descr_buildings. But I didn't find anything. Someone willing to help?

Myrddraal
06-20-2005, 18:51
I suppose you've tried show_err? No error?

If not, I may be able to help you, send the files to the.mad.toad@gmail.com, but don't count on a quick reply as I'm quite busy. :wink:

welcome to the .ORG :smile:

EvilNed
06-27-2005, 13:01
Heylo everyone. I picked up this guide yesterday and started reading, figuring that I might as well learn how to edit this game. So I did, and I managed to create a new province (sweden) in the original campaign.

But I wanted to do something new, so i started working on a scandinavian map. I presume all textfiles are fixed, because I no longer get an error with show_err. But still, the game crashes, and I assume it's something with the image files.

Map_regions is: 117x110
map_ground_types: 235x221
Map_roughness: 234x220
Map_trade_routes: 117x110
Map_features: 117x110
Map_heights: 235x221
Map_climates: 235x221
disasters: 117x110
radar_map1: 117x110
radar_map2: 234x220

The game crashes to deskop each time. As a matter of fact, i've never ever gotten it to work. When creating a new map from scratch, you can't really "do somethings at a time", you have to do all the maps etc. etc and then try it. That's what I did.

I've got 7 regions, all have a port and all have a capital. None of the capitals border another region.

You suggested to someone earlier that he should delete all settlements from descr_strat and just run with two, and two factions. That's what I'm doing. Senate and Gaul. Rome and Latium exists. So it's really a boggle. Any ideas of what it might be?

EvilNed
06-27-2005, 15:54
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/EvilNed/map_regionscopy.jpg

There's map_region. Do you guys think the landmass is to small?

EDIT:

Just to try it out, I made another campaign (really small, 50x50). It actually worked, but the water looked like this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/EvilNed/0073.jpg

How do i fix that?

EvilNed
06-27-2005, 19:04
Hooray! after a little tinkering I got the scandinavian map running (ok, so i made a new one from scratch with only TWO regions). But the sea problem remains. Any ideas?

Laridus Konivaich
06-27-2005, 19:19
Have a look at map_ground_types and or map_heights, when the ground type is not water, but the height is 0 0 0 (black), then you will get that effect, as I remember.

EvilNed
06-27-2005, 22:00
I tried to change that, but it didn't work. In heights, the water is 0,0,0 (everything else is 1,1,1) and in Ground_types, the water is one of those shades of red. Still, the effect persists.

EvilNed
06-28-2005, 01:05
Ok, apart from the sea glitch, I've now encountered another stop.

I add a few provinces at a time, and now when I came to my latest batch, the campaign just stopped working. I keep getting this error all the time:

"Script error in data/world/maps/campaign/viking_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 174, column 12
Could not create settlement at script line 174"

I checked that line (but it only has one or two columns (?) and I saw no error. I've even rewritten the text file several times, yet I keep getting that error!

Laridus Konivaich
06-28-2005, 03:09
In map heights you should change all of the black (0 0 0) pixels to a blue colour (0 0 253), and this should fix the issue with the sea.

Columns in a text file are characters, counting from the left hand side of a row. column twelve is probably the start of the settlement name:

0 123456789AB C
settlement YOUR_SETTLEMENT
Column 12 (C) is the beginning of the settlement name. Anyway, the could not create settlement error probably means that you spelled the name wrong in one of the other settlement-related texts (descr_regions.txt; YOUR_CAMPAIGN_region_and_settlement_names.txt; region_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt), so you should check the entry in all of these files. Another thing to check is that the region colour is unique, as this *I think* can also cause the same error.

EvilNed
06-28-2005, 21:18
I figured a way around it, but it's highly irritating.

The thing is, that I cannot add more than 1 single region at a time. This means that I have to paint a region in the map_regions.tga file, add the region to descr_regions.txt, then to descr_strat.txt, start the game, start the campaign and then quit in order to add another one. It's going to take weeks to get all the regions in there!

EDIT:

Ok, now I get the "Script error in data/world/maps/campaign/viking_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 174, column 12
Could not create settlement at script line 174" error all the time (but at a different line and column. And it's no typo anywhere. What the hell is going on? Why won't it work?

Laridus Konivaich
06-29-2005, 02:11
You did not mention it, so I ask: are you adding the regions in viking_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt ? The first file should be in the data\text\ folder, while the second is in your campaign folder. This is the only reason that I can think of for the could not create settlement error.

EvilNed
06-29-2005, 13:28
Ouch. I had totally forgotten about the descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt. However, i fixed it, and for awhile everything went smooth. But now, after adding a couple of settlements (around 3 at a time), I'm back to square 1. The error pops up again. All text files are filled in, and it's spelt correctly....

Spoonfrog
06-29-2005, 19:51
All text files are filled in, and it's spelt correctly....

*spelled correctly

Sorry I couldn't resist ~;)

EDIT: I shall try be of some help, perhaps the settlement is on an area that is either sea in map_heights, or water in map_ground_types...

EvilNed
06-29-2005, 20:03
I left the campaign as it was, earlier, without doing anything. When I fired it up now, everything worked fine (except for the fact that a settlement was on a river...)

My assumption is that sometimes it works... And sometimes it doens't.

EvilNed
07-01-2005, 02:27
Finally! I've gotten all provinces, all the terrain and heigh done! So, I thought I'd add another faction (apart from germany and the senate). So, I added the britons, and WHAM. Suddenly, the game will no longer work. It CTDs without a messenge.

I know of all the codes in descr_strat, things that can go wrong with family members and etc. etc. But these usually leave an error messenge! So what the hell is wrong?

swirly_the_toilet_fish
07-31-2005, 05:22
Just curious as to which program you are using to make these mods. If anyone could answer. :shame:

Spoonfrog
07-31-2005, 10:54
Photoshop for the tgas, notepad for the text files.

Myrddraal
08-03-2005, 01:38
Paint shop pro also works well enough for tgas and there are also free programs on the internet which can convert files to tga format if you have neither of those. irfanview is one of those, try searching for it.

Silver Rusher
08-05-2005, 19:45
After having no success in previous attempts at making the campaign map for my mod, I decided to follow your "resizing the campaign map" steps to see if it would work. So I followed the steps exactly, (I added 64 pixels to the north of the map, making it 255x220), and did nothing else. Then I tried the game, and it CTD'd. I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong. I tried it before I resized it actually and it worked perfectly.

Silver Rusher
08-06-2005, 08:33
Seeing as I can't edit here (why btw?) I have to double post, sorry.

Anyway, I found out that the reason why it was not working was because that the increase in the water meant that there was too much sea and not enough land. I've changed it all to land and it works fine.

Meneldil
08-06-2005, 16:31
Hey, I'm currently editing the regions for Age of Vikings and Fanatics. I had a hard time having a working campaign map, but I finally achieved to launch the provincial campaign without CTD. But then, there's another problem :

https://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5581/00024zy.jpg

What are these pink blobs ? And how may I correct them ?

Silver Rusher
08-06-2005, 20:43
Whoah! Freaky. If you haven't fiddled with the files in data/terrain/ground_types I don't know what else it could be. Go into map_ground_types.tga and see what ground is underneath the blobs. If it's uniquer to where the blobs appear, change it and it may work.

Encaitar
08-07-2005, 03:20
It'll be because of individual pixels in either map_ground_types.tga or map_climates.tga that aren't exactly the colour they need to be (e.g. instead of being 0 0 0 it might be 0 0 1).

Meneldil
08-07-2005, 08:43
That's it, there was a problem with map ground type. Thanks for the help :)

tuman
08-17-2005, 13:44
Hello everyone. I don't speak English well. But I need help. Not long ago I finished new map. A new map.rmw file is generated, afrer this step, the game crashes to deskop...

What is this...?
Generic Error
DATABASE_TABLE error found: unreognised record id requested

PS: I am glad to anyone intelligible explanation. Please write a simple words.

M.T.Cicero
08-24-2005, 15:24
I need help about an error messagge generated by show_err. In the process of trying to de-bug my last try in campaign editing I started shortening descr_strat of my last working version, testing after each round of deleting to see if it still works. After deleting any settlement of any faction other then rebel (expected them to become empty rebel villages like any other province not defined in descr_strat) I get an error in descr_strat.txt, line 2184, column 2 - "You have chosen an invalid tile(X,Y) for the settlement of Ariminum". I tried taking the file before this last deleting round and repeat - it says now it's something wrong with Mogontiacum. Didn't remember the coordinates but I checked in map_regions.tga, they are wrong, for both Ariminum and Mogontiacum, one was somewhere in scandinavia and the other mid of Mediterranian sea. I didn't modify map_regions.tga or any of the terrain files and to make things even worse this shortened version of descr_strat doesn't even have 2184 lines so I'm totally lost and need help if some of the more experienced ppl know what is it that is really generating this error cuz it obviously aren't dispositioned cities.

Burns
09-01-2005, 23:26
Ive become quite adept at editing the campaign map. However the only thing I have no knowledge about are trade routes. Ive been noticing that my ports don't have the connecting lines - I presume this means there is no trade going on between them. Perhaps this is NOT a question related to campaign map editing, but I dont know that. So how do I edit trade routes?

Meneldil
09-02-2005, 07:45
You can't. Trade road are generated by the engine, as long as there's 'walkable' way between your city and your port. If no road appears, you probably have to edit map ground types, and delete some moutains/dense forest.

miak
09-02-2005, 20:35
how would you edit the winning conditions just for your campagn and not all the campagns. Is it the thing in desc_strat
win_conditions
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
land_owner 20 100
end_win_conditions
if so what do these thing mean?

EEGamer4ever
09-04-2005, 16:31
In every campaign I've played, these win conditions are the same.

Now, I've got a question too:
I've been messing around with the Imperial Campaign map a bit, added a few regions, modded some etc.
Now, all of a sudden, this error message shows up:

Script error in .../descr_strat, at line 2531

Unexpected header '{'

With this line being line 2531:

settlement
{
level town
region Aquitania

year_founded 0
population 1400
settlement_tax 51
plan_set default_set
faction_creator gauls
building

Encaitar
09-06-2005, 01:57
The problem is likely to be a couple of lines before that.

EEGamer4ever
09-06-2005, 15:44
Nope. Nowhere. No error which even looks like the one described.
What should I do? Create the campaign all over again? Or deleting everything out and recreate descr_strat.

I've tried using the ';' to line out Aquitania, but the error now settled itself in the region above, Armorica.

I guess this not a mere error, but some corrupted bytes.

M.T.Cicero
09-07-2005, 23:34
Have you checked if you have all these "{" and these "}" at the right places? One missing and one too many and you get an error.

EEGamer4ever
09-08-2005, 19:48
I've checked everything thrice. That's the problem - there is no mistake which could lead to an error.

Prof
09-09-2005, 21:14
One question: how do i find out the coordinates of new cities so that i can place armies in them?

Crusader4thepeople
09-09-2005, 21:26
Does anyone have a list of the RGB values for already used regions, so i dont accidentally make latium in the yucatan

EEGamer4ever
09-10-2005, 15:24
One question: how do i find out the coordinates of new cities so that i can place armies in them?

If you see in Photoshop (or any other program you're using), there are coordinates given of the selected tile, i.e. x 32 y 45, and that's where the city is.
Then you look up what the image size of your map_regions.tga is (the imperial campaign is 256x156).

If you want your army in the city, you keep the X-value as it is - in this example as 32. Then you take the Y-value of your image size, minus 1, minus the value of the Y-coordinate where the city is. That'd be 156-1-45=110 in the imperial campaign.
That leaves your army at the tile x 32 y 110.

Does anyone have a list of the RGB values for already used regions, so i dont accidentally make latium in the yucatan

In the file regions.txt, all RGB values are stated just below each region's name.

I want to return to my question. After deleting nearly all lines in descr_strat.txt and putting the stuff back in piece by piece, I managed it to get my campaign running. However, after a few turns, I got a CTD during Parthia's turn. I reloaded the game, ended the turn - nothing happened.
A few turns later, the same happened again. I reloaded - everything worked fine.
Again, a few turns later, the game crashes once again - only at Pontus' turn now. What is the reason of this CTD. Show_err won't work.

Myrddraal
09-12-2005, 14:34
The problem is EE that it could be almost anything. Its interesting that it was Pontus and Parthia who crashed, it could be something to do with eastern culture. Have you edited units at all, perhaps it crashes on the recruitment of a certain unit. Have you edited anything apart from the campaign map?

Epistolary Richard
09-12-2005, 16:01
Put your cursor over them, bring down the RomeShell console and type show_cursorstat

All the existing RGB values are in descr_regions.

lewigi
09-14-2005, 10:57
I know this has benn already brought forward by many but also i cannot get my "modified" campaign to work. All ive done is added a new province called Padania with the city of bononia between Etruria and Venetia.( in a new campaign)
I did this using the campaign map editor. I also edited all the text files( i think )
including descr_strat ( given it to julii with general Luca and 2 town militia). I also deleted map rwm. As soon as i try to start a provincial campaign with the julii it goes back to the menu and if i start with scippi or brutii it CTD.
Anyone got some advice

Monkwarrior
09-14-2005, 11:53
As soon as i try to start a provincial campaign with the julii it goes back to the menu ...
When the game returns to the previous menu, -show_err gives you a message when exiting. This message probably will give the clue.

EEGamer4ever
09-15-2005, 18:53
Alright, after testing and testing and testing again, I found out that the CTD occurs when any unit walks in the region Bithynia... but I haven't edited anything about this region at all.
I've experienced many errors during campaign editing, but this is the weirdest :dizzy2:

EDIT: Fixed

miak
09-18-2005, 02:44
I've got a question in RTR they changed the names for the factions would there be any way to do that but with just your custom campaign.

EEGamer4ever
09-19-2005, 17:42
Yes. Go to /data/text folder and look for the shared.txt, expanded.txt and menu_english.txt files. There, you can change every aspect about a faction's name.

I've got a question for the experienced modders again: when I play my custom campaign, a few factions just get destroyed (their family members all die in the same turn). This happens to Dacia, Iberia, Gaul, Germania, Scythia and Egypt. Does anyone know why?

JeromeGrasdyke
09-22-2005, 12:18
Nope. Nowhere. No error which even looks like the one described.
What should I do? Create the campaign all over again? Or deleting everything out and recreate descr_strat.

I've tried using the ';' to line out Aquitania, but the error now settled itself in the region above, Armorica.

I guess this not a mere error, but some corrupted bytes.

If you're getting strange results with the text files, you may want to check that your text editor does the Windows thing and terminates lines with both a carriage return character and a newline one. The Rome descr_parser expects (and relies on) this behaviour in places.

Generally an error like this is down to something not being correct in the few lines immediately before - the parser fails when it is not recognising something, after trying to parse a statement which is incomplete (something missing) in some way.

EEGamer4ever
09-22-2005, 17:52
I managed it to get it running, read a few posts above this one.
But it was a really weird error... the line was that of a Gallic settlement, but the true error was in a Germanic settlement's line. And I still don't know *what* it was... ~:handball:

Patricius
10-03-2005, 18:34
Given features like religion, legions associated with provinces and certain provinces providing the site for factions to spawn (well just the British ones), what other steps are necessary to add provinces?

Thanks in advance.

edyzmedieval
10-04-2005, 19:30
When can we expect a Campaign Map tutorial for RTW BI?!

Meneldil
10-04-2005, 19:34
When someone finds out how map editing works with BI ^^

alpaca
10-05-2005, 00:12
Well adding regions should work just like in R:TW afaik.
You have to edit the map_regions.tga, then add your province to all necessary text files (best is you just search for the appearance of another province in the windows in-file search).

Suraknar
10-07-2005, 20:50
Hello Myrdraal,

Very nice guide,and very nice replies, there is only one thing I do not understand about ressources, hoping you could clarify this.

In descr_regions.txt we specify the available ressources for each province, that much is clear.

Latium
Rome
romans_senate
Latins
52 13 198
rome, italy, olive_oil

What I do not understand is the Numbers in descr_strat.txt

resource tin, 23, 87
resource timber, 24, 82
resource gold, 117, 77
resource olive_oil, 121, 73
resource olive_oil, 123, 73
resource iron, 223, 81
resource iron, 225, 82

Do these have to match in some way with descr_regions.txt, and if yes, how would we do that?

Thanks

Suraknar
10-07-2005, 21:43
Hello Myrdraal,

Very nice guide,and very nice replies, there is only one thing I do not understand about ressources, hoping you could clarify this.

In descr_regions.txt we specify the available ressources for each province, that much is clear.

Latium
Rome
romans_senate
Latins
52 13 198
rome, italy, olive_oil

What I do not understand is the Numbers in descr_strat.txt

resource tin, 23, 87
resource timber, 24, 82
resource gold, 117, 77
resource olive_oil, 121, 73
resource olive_oil, 123, 73
resource iron, 223, 81
resource iron, 225, 82

Do these have to match in some way with descr_regions.txt, and if yes, how would we do that?

Thanks

I think I figured it out :)

Loading map_regions.tga in to photoshop, these numbers actually represent the coordinates of the Icon of the given ressource.

So ok, I can find the coordinates like that and thus match them with descr_regions.txt...

As it would really make no sence having Olive oil as a resource and have Pigs as immage there.

I hope I am right :P

Suraknar
10-07-2005, 22:18
If you see in Photoshop (or any other program you're using), there are coordinates given of the selected tile, i.e. x 32 y 45, and that's where the city is.
Then you look up what the image size of your map_regions.tga is (the imperial campaign is 256x156).

If you want your army in the city, you keep the X-value as it is - in this example as 32. Then you take the Y-value of your image size, minus 1, minus the value of the Y-coordinate where the city is. That'd be 156-1-45=110 in the imperial campaign.
That leaves your army at the tile x 32 y 110.

Or...

In photoshop or your favorite 2D edition Proggy, just Flip the Canvas Vertically...

The Map will be upside down, but it will give you the accurate coordinates by simply hovering your cursor over the town...without having to do any calculations. :)

Monkwarrior
10-08-2005, 07:41
I think I figured it out :)

Loading map_regions.tga in to photoshop, these numbers actually represent the coordinates of the Icon of the given ressource.

So ok, I can find the coordinates like that and thus match them with descr_regions.txt...

As it would really make no sence having Olive oil as a resource and have Pigs as immage there.

I hope I am right :P
Yes, those numbers are the coordinates and it is not only a question of "good-looking" of the map. The resources are not taken into account by the game (for trade purposes) if they are not present in the map, although they are included in descr_regions.

Meneldil
10-08-2005, 07:54
I took me a whole day to figure that out when I started editing maps ~D

edyzmedieval
10-08-2005, 15:20
Any guides on how to edit the other tga?!

I mean, I have the map_regions done. But I want to edit the heights, climates.... to fit with the map_regions.

Any guides on this?!

Suraknar
10-08-2005, 17:15
Yes, those numbers are the coordinates and it is not only a question of "good-looking" of the map. The resources are not taken into account by the game (for trade purposes) if they are not present in the map, although they are included in descr_regions.

Ahh, thank you for this information, I did not know that! So not only for apearences! :P

Maybe things like that can be added to this guide, as they are important to a functional map!

Suraknar
10-08-2005, 17:18
Any guides on how to edit the other tga?!

I mean, I have the map_regions done. But I want to edit the heights, climates.... to fit with the map_regions.

Any guides on this?!

"map_heights.tga
- This is where the 3D aspect of the campmap is determined.

Ground must be shades of gray (Red = Green = Blue i.e. RGB(100 100 100)). The lighter the shade of gray, the higher the point on the campmap.

Sea must be shades of blue (Blue = anything, Green = Red = 0). I think it is possible to use any shade of blue, but the existing campaign maps use RGB(0 0 253) so that’s a safe bet."

This is in the First Page of this Thread allong with other features :)

EEGamer4ever
10-09-2005, 19:40
When I made this campaign map, it worked fine from the start. However, I had this weird pink blob. It's very annoying, but I couldn't get rid of it. How to fix it?

PS: this is for vanilla RTW, not BI

Removed: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/938357/0006.jpg

EDIT: fixed

Centurion Cato
10-23-2005, 13:26
I've made a couple of new campaigns using this guide & Monkwarriors and i've been successfull in getting one of my maps to work. However the new campaigns i've made don't work becuase i keep getting this error with the terrain file.

Generic error:

Failed to create image from file 'bi/data/world/maps/base/descr_terrain.txt'

My .tga's are all the correct size...it's driving me nuts! please help.

~:confused:

Centurion Cato
10-23-2005, 13:26
double post

Dromikaites
10-24-2005, 07:19
I've made a couple of new campaigns using this guide & Monkwarriors and i've been successfull in getting one of my maps to work. However the new campaigns i've made don't work becuase i keep getting this error with the terrain file.

Generic error:

Failed to create image from file 'bi/data/world/maps/base/descr_terrain.txt'

My .tga's are all the correct size...it's driving me nuts! please help.

~:confused:

From the error message I understand you are trying to make a map for BI. Have you used Alpaca's HGT converter for transforming your map_heights.tga into map_heights.hgt? Unfortunately BI uses a different method for generating the .rwm map than RTW 1.0 - 1.2 so you need to convert the map_heights.tga for the campaign to work. We use a variant of Mundus Magnus 2 map for Imperium: Total War and it works perfectly with the HGT converter.

Centurion Cato
10-24-2005, 19:15
Exactly. I'd converted the hgts file but forgot to convert it after i'd enlarged the map! ~D Anyway thanks.

So finally i get a working map...

https://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1120/bi8gg.th.jpg (https://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bi8gg.jpg)

But i have problem...it's CTD as soon as i hit turn, i have two factions, nine regions and two generals on the map. I have no ports on the map and all the cities are in valid locations but it still CTD...I believe Monkwarrior had a simlar problem but his explaination hasn't helped me figure out what's wrong. I've taken this in small steps. The text files seem to be correct. HELP!!

Also how do i correct the proportions of the heights (mountains and such) on the map? Do i edit the map_heights.tga using lighter shades of grey for the mountains or do i edit another file as well? Would the time editor help do this?

Sorry for all the questions :bow:

Centurion Cato
10-26-2005, 16:58
^^ bump

Meneldil
10-26-2005, 18:49
You haven't changed the names ? I doubt that's the problem, but if the engine generate a new character with an invalid name for adoption purpose, it will CTD.

Other than that, I don't see what could cause this problem (although I encountered a whole sh*tload of hard CTD when map editing).

Dromikaites
10-26-2005, 19:15
But i have problem...it's CTD as soon as i hit turn, i have two factions, nine regions and two generals on the map. I have no ports on the map and all the cities are in valid locations but it still CTD...I believe Monkwarrior had a simlar problem but his explaination hasn't helped me figure out what's wrong. I've taken this in small steps. The text files seem to be correct. HELP!!

The CTD without any error message at the end of the turn might be due to errors in the traits or ancillary files (look for the triggers that fire at the end of the turn). It also may be a problem with the cities' faction creator (urban legends say some factions are not OK as creators). Or it might be a case of an invalid tile for the city. Or some bizzare problem from BI, like that one with the Ostrogoths or the Romano-British (one related to the hidden resources).

Centurion Cato
10-26-2005, 20:14
Thanks guys! - You say it might be the "faction creator", well i had only two factions at first and even when i added more factions the problem persits, but i'll investigate this further. I'll definitely investigate the traits & ancillary files though, i hope that's the problem.

Could you explain this "hidden resources" issue you mention please?

Dromikaites
10-28-2005, 17:41
Thanks guys! - You say it might be the "faction creator", well i had only two factions at first and even when i added more factions the problem persits, but i'll investigate this further. I'll definitely investigate the traits & ancillary files though, i hope that's the problem.

Could you explain this "hidden resources" issue you mention please?

Here are several threads: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35736
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35891
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=54969

However, if you get the crash as soon as you press the End Turn button it is more likely that the problem is:
1) in the descr_character_traits.txt or export_descr_ancillaries.txt or
2) has something to do with the faction that follows after the one you've just played.

I would like to help you more and in order to do that I need to know if you are modding for BI, for RTW 1.3 or for RTW 1.0 - 1.2. About the faction creator the "urban legend" said that some factions like Gaul were OK while others like Dacia were not OK in RTW 1.2....

waitcu
10-28-2005, 18:41
I am trying to change the map of bi and use my own map .
the map have about 30 cities . and i try to let some factions in the map .
first i take empire_east ,empire_west , and slave in the map . enter game successful . every things seems all right before i press the button "TURN" . when i press the button , it ctd without any mention .
so i use the brabrarian factions .i take six factions , emanni,burgundii,celts,franks,lombardi,slave .
this time , run in game very successful , can press turn , can play battles etc . but when i ally with other factions , it ctd without any mention .....
i think , it must be something wrong with the diplomacy sectionpart part of descr_strat file .
here i post the descr_strat file

campaign barbarian_invasion
playable
alemanni
burgundii
celts
franks
lombardi
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
slave
end

start_date 363 summer
end_date 476 summer

marian_reforms_disabled
rebelling_characters_active
gladiator_uprising_disabled
night_battles_enabled
brigand_spawn_value 10
pirate_spawn_value 12

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; >>>> start of landmarks section <<<<

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; >>>> start of resources section <<<<

; >>>> start of sound emitters section <<<<

; >>>> start of events section <<<<

; >>>> start of factions section <<<<

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;upgrade city level_1 1000 level_2 5000 level_3 10000 level_4 20000 level_5 50000
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;楚国设定alemanni

faction alemanni, bureaucrat stalin
denari 15000
settlement
{
level city
region YingDu

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
type core_building governors_palace
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
type barracks city_barracks
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
type missiles archery_range
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type hinterland_farms farms+2
}
building
{
type hinterland_roads roads
}
building
{
type taverns bardic_circle
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region YiLingJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region ZhouJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region YuRongJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
type barracks militia_barracks
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region QianJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region YingJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region DengJun

year_founded 363
population 11626
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region LvJun

year_founded 363
population 7800
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region ShengJun

year_founded 20
population 8000
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region EEEJun

year_founded 363
population 7800
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region SouChunJun

year_founded 363
population 8000
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region ZhaoLingJun

year_founded 363
population 3050
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
type core_building governors_villa
}
building
{
type defenses wooden_wall
}
building
{
type barracks muster_field
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region XuJun

year_founded 363
population 2569
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region ZhongLiJun

year_founded 363
population 4800
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region XiYangJun

year_founded 363
population 4280
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region JuCaoJun

year_founded 363
population 3812
plan_set default_set
faction_creator alemanni
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
}

character Suomar, named character, leader, age 16, , x 20, y 43
traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 3 , Pagan 1, HighPersonalSecurity 1 , Brave 2 , GoodFarmer 3 , GoodAdministrator 2 , GoodTaxman 1 , Miserly 1 , HatesRoman 2
ancillaries roman_turncoat, agriculturalist, bard, freeman_clerk2
army
unit chosen warlord alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit spear warband alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit lombard archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

;唐国设定franks

faction franks, religious napoleon
denari 15000
settlement
{
level city
region SuiJun

year_founded 363
population 11881
plan_set default_set
faction_creator franks
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian cavalry_barracks
}
building
{
type missiles practice_field
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region XiangHeJun

year_founded 363
population 9800
plan_set default_set
faction_creator franks
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region ChengYangJun

year_founded 363
population 7800
plan_set default_set
faction_creator franks
building
{
}
}

character Chlodio, named character, leader, age 16, , x 36, y 64
traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 1 , GoodCommander 2 , GoodTrader 3 , GoodFarmer 2 , GoodAdministrator 3 , GoodTaxman 2 , Pagan 1
ancillaries drinking_companion, civilized_slave, famous_warrior
army
unit frankish paladin bodyguard exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit levy spearman frank exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit levy spearman frank exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit western peasant frank exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

;蔡国设定lombardi

faction lombardi, religious stalin
denari 10000
settlement
{
level city
region XinCaiJun

year_founded 363
population 11900
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region WanQiuJun

year_founded 363
population 8900
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region XuZhou

year_founded 363
population 7250
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region FanYangJun

year_founded 363
population 3250
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
type hinterland_farms farms+1
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region JuYangJun

year_founded 363
population 4200
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region ZhouLaiJun

year_founded 363
population 2809
plan_set default_set
faction_creator lombardi
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

character Rando, named character, leader, age 16, , x 61, y 72
traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 2 , GoodTaxman 3 , GoodAdministrator 3 , GoodFarmer 1 , Pagan 1
army
unit lombard archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

;吴国设定celts

faction celts , fortified caesar
denari 15000
settlement
{
level city
region WuJun

year_founded 363
population 11900
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type health sewers
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region GuXuJun

year_founded 363
population 9821
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region YuanLingJun

year_founded 363
population 7560
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region TiJun

year_founded 363
population 6802
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region SuJiuJun

year_founded 363
population 6780
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region TangYiJun

year_founded 363
population 10090
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region SuYongJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region SuJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region LingYangJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region YuGanJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region GuangLingJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
faction_creator celts
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

character Angus, named character, leader, age 16, , x 117, y 49
traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 1 , GoodCommander 2 , GoodFarmer 2 , GoodAdministrator 2 , PhlegmHumour 2 , Pagan 1
ancillaries scout, wise_woman, herbalist, master_hunter, pet_hunting_dog
army
unit celtic warlord exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit gallowglass exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit celtish wolfhounds exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit western peasant celt exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

;越国设定burgundii

faction burgundii, religious stalin
denari 10000
settlement
{
level city
region HuiJiJun

year_founded 363
population 11980
plan_set default_set
faction_creator burgundii
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market forum
}
building
{
type smith smiths_workshop
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region YinJun

year_founded 363
population 10090
plan_set default_set
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level city
region GumieJun

year_founded 363
population 10090
plan_set default_set
building
{
}
building
{
type defenses stone_wall
}
building
{
}
building
{
type equestrian stables
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type smith blacksmith
}
building
{
type health baths
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region ChangShaJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

settlement
{
level large_town
region CaiSangJun

year_founded 363
population 5345
plan_set default_set
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
}
building
{
}
}

character Odovacar, named character, leader, age 16, , x 113, y 33
traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 2 , GoodTaxman 2 , GoodAdministrator 3 , HatesNomad 1 , Pagan 1
army
unit burgundian lancer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; >>>> start of diplomacy section <<<<

;DS_ALLIED = 0
;DS_SUSPICIOUS = 100
;DS_NEUTRAL = 200
;DS_HOSTILE = 400
;DS_AT_WAR = 600

core_attitudes slave, at_war_with franks, alemanni, celts, burgundii, lombardi
core_attitudes alemanni, 0 franks, celts, burgundii, lombardi
core_attitudes alemanni, 600 slave
core_attitudes burgundii, 0 franks, alemanni, celts, lombardi
core_attitudes burgundii, 600 slave
core_attitudes celts, 0 franks, alemanni, burgundii, lombardi
core_attitudes celts, 600 slave
core_attitudes franks, 0 alemanni, celts, burgundii, lombardi
core_attitudes franks, 600 slave
core_attitudes lombardi, 0 franks, alemanni, celts, burgundii
core_attitudes lombardi, 600 slave

faction_relationships alemanni, at_war_with slave
faction_relationships burgundii, at_war_with slave
faction_relationships celts, at_war_with slave
faction_relationships franks, at_war_with slave
faction_relationships lombardi, at_war_with slave
faction_relationships slave, at_war_with franks, alemanni, celts, burgundii, lombardi
; >>>> start of regions section <<<<

you can find that i setting all playable faction are ally , but in game , the faction relationship table didn't show them . just show all factions at war with the slave .
why it ctd when ally????

Dromikaites
10-29-2005, 06:46
I am trying to change the map of bi and use my own map .
the map have about 30 cities . and i try to let some factions in the map .
first i take empire_east ,empire_west , and slave in the map . enter game successful . every things seems all right before i press the button "TURN" . when i press the button , it ctd without any mention .
so i use the brabrarian factions .i take six factions , emanni,burgundii,celts,franks,lombardi,slave .
this time , run in game very successful , can press turn , can play battles etc . but when i ally with other factions , it ctd without any mention .....
i think , it must be something wrong with the diplomacy sectionpart part of descr_strat file .

you can find that i setting all playable faction are ally , but in game , the faction relationship table didn't show them . just show all factions at war with the slave .
why it ctd when ally????

Here are a few things that might prove useful against CTDs:

1) The Romans, the Roman rebels and the Romano-British have some hardcoded connections to each other. So if you put one in the game you should probably put all of them (or at least the Romans and their corresponding rebels). You also need to make sure you don't have the hidden resource britain in your descr_regions.txt or you'll see the game behaving funny when trying to spawn the Romano-British.

2) There is also a strange connection between the Goths and Ostrogoths. You should not have the Ostrhogoths rebels in more than one province. Even though you don't use Goths and Ostrogoths in your descr_strat.txt you should make sure you don't have the Ostrogoths mentioned in the descr_regions.txt

3) For the alliances to show in the diplomacy tab (faction relationship table) you need to make the relations explicit using allied_to and at_war_with. If you put only the numbers you define the attitude the factions have towards each other but not the actual relations.

I hope that helps. If you get the game working when you try to set alliances (no crashes anymore) then please report how you did it. BI modding is just beginning and the community needs all the information available.

Atilius
11-06-2005, 05:43
It's likely many people are aware of this, but I've seen no mention of it in the modding forum: A faction's capital is always the the first settlement in its settlement list. Though it's blindingly obvious in retrospect, I stumbled across this fact by accident. Worth a mention in this guide?

RTW King
11-07-2005, 21:15
Aaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrr! HELP PLEASE! I CAN'T FIND descr_regions.txt anywhere! I'm changing the map for BI, edited it with Photoshop, but I can't find descr_regions.txt. HELP!!!