PDA

View Full Version : The Real Deal

Khan7
12-18-2001, 10:03
Ok, so what do you all think? I'm thinking it is probably about time to get some work moving on a History/Realism-based Mod for WE/MI, for which the Real Deal is an ideal starting-point.

But, be aware-- I will be in Venezuela from the 20th to the 1st, and after that I may be busy with finals, we shall see. Not to suggest that I am somehow indispensable, but I'd probably be useful to have around..

Anyway, Mizus? Others? What's the status?

Matt

Kraellin
12-18-2001, 11:08
i think it's a good idea. the trouble of course comes in on 'who's history'? one person thinks this battle is representative, or this era, or this country and so on, almost ad infinitum.

i'd suggest trying to generate some discussion, since what you're eventually going to run into is the reality of player's perceptions when it comes to the final evaluation of such a mod. decide on some parameter agreements; are you going to allow tweaking stats for playability at all or are you going to maintain exact historical representations?

and after you establish some of that, the next question is, is it even possible? will the various mods we can do actually represent the agreements reached above?

then, if you get that far, you're still going to get disagreements about this or that. we thought we did a pretty good job of making a 'playable' game mod, and seemingly most online folks tended to agree, but we've certainly had our share of folks that thought we wrecked things. even within our very small mod team we didnt agree on everything. and some of those disagreeing made some very relevant points.

and, if yer not hobby horsing just for your own benefit, make sure you set some time limits for finishing. this is more important than most may imagine. it forces one to make decisions, forces folks to get things done, and generally manages time.

oh, and one last thing. one person has to be the final word, the final decision maker and that person's word has to be law, otherwise you get hung up in endless arguements and discussions and have however many folks going in however many different ways there are to go.

frankly, the easier way to go is just do it yourself ;) but what you lose there is the insight and considerations and data that others can bring to the table. and, as mentioned above, this can be a bad thing, but it can also be invaluable, if you can work out those differences.

me, i'm not really interested in modding this stuff again for a while, except for my own interest and amusement, but i'd be willing to contribute in a public forum to the discussion of such.

K.

------------------
I'm sorry, but i never apologize.