PDA

View Full Version : Peltastai, or Peltastoi?

pezhetairoi
07-13-2005, 01:53
I'm trying to mod the names of all the RTW units (well, as many of them as I can) to reflect the actual languages they used, though still not entirely accurate.

But I need some advice on Greek and barbarian...

What should I call the swordsmen/chosens? Are there celtic names for them?

Also, what was the greek word for 1) cavalry, 2) archers, 3) slingers and 4) peltasts? Is the plural -ai or -oi? Because pezhetairoi (the pikemen) and hetairoi (the Companions) are suffixed differently from hoplitai. So I'm confused.

Also, what did the Romans call their own legionnaires? Right now I have been forced to call them 'Hamata legionnaires' and 'Segmentata legionnaires' according to the armour they wear, but there's got to be something more....ethnic.

conon394
07-13-2005, 03:30
Classical Greek Cavalry:

hippeus (pl. hippeis): The most general term in ancient Greek for cavalry (in non-military context refers to riders or even at Athens a census class).

hippotoxotes (pl. hippotoxotai): horse-archer.

hipparchos (pl. hipparchoi): Cavalry commander. (or for Sparta hipparmostes -ai).

prodromoi (pl. prodromos): Cavalry scouts or light cavalry. At Athens at least appear to have replaced hippotoxotes in the 4th Century BC and seem to have been considered superior horsemen.

Other Classical Greek:

Archers: toxotes (pl. toxotai).

Peltast: peltast (pl. peltastes)

But either of the above could also be called psilos (pl. psiloi).

Simetrical
07-13-2005, 05:06
The Latin word for legionary is legionarius, plural legionarii. You might call the early and late legionaries legionarii prisci and legionarii seri, respectively (I'm pretty sure that's right). If you want to keep the cohort terminology, I guess it would be cohors prisca and cohors sera. I think the First Cohort would be cohors prima. I'm not an expert on Latin, but I'm reasonably confident in those names.

-Simetrical

PyrrhusofEpirus
07-13-2005, 19:43
Never mind!

PyrrhusofEpirus
07-13-2005, 19:47
Even we modern greeks we are bit confused how are the appropriate names to write Greek with Latin script.
Anyway here is a list:
Peltasts
Singular -es
Peltastes
Plural -ai
Peltastai
Same goes Hoplites: Hoplites, Hoplitai. Spartans: Spartiates, Spartiatai .Archer: Toxotes, Toxotai. Phalanx: Phalangites, Phalangitai.
Cavarly
Singular -on
Hippicon, Hippikon
Note that ancient romans, when they wanted to write a greek word in Latin script with the letter "K", the used "C". Ancient Latin script have not the letter "K", AFAIK. The romans didn't write words like Hippikon in Latin; they used their own words.
Plural n/a
Same goes Infantry: Pezicon, Pezikon. Navy: Nauticon, Nautikon
Companion cavarly
Singular -os
Hetairos
Plural -oi
Hetairoi
Same goes Horse: Hippos, Hippoi. General: Strategos, Strategoi. Leader: Archegos, Archegoi, Heir: Diadochos, Diadochoi. Prodromos, Prodromoi.
King
Singular -eus
Ancient greek: Anax. Hellenistic greek: Basileus
Plural -eis
Ancient greek: Anaktai. Hellenistic greek: Basileis
Same goes Horseman, Rider: Hippeus, Hippeis.
Feel free to ask for more! ~:cheers:

ToranagaSama
07-13-2005, 21:31
Didn't someone already do this? I'm sure, check in the dungeon. You may save yourself a lot of work.

You have heard of the *Rome Total Realism* mod have you not?

Luck!

pezhetairoi
07-14-2005, 01:04
I have, but I don't want their gameplay, only their names.

Thanks everyone for the names! I will go home to chew on it while waiting for the EB native names.

The Stranger
07-14-2005, 13:34
sphendonetai for slingers
toxotai for archers
hippakontistai for jav cav
peltastai for peltasts
hippeis for normal cav
prodromoi for light cav/scouts
ekdromoi for non phalanx hoplites
hoplitai for hoplites
hetairoi for companions
hypaspistai for hypaspists
argyraspidai for silver shields
chalkaspidai for bronze shields
taxeis hoplitai for levy hoplites
taxeis phalangtai for levy pikes
pezhetairoi for phalanx pikemen

fireblade
07-14-2005, 16:16
lakedaimonies for spartans

The Stranger
07-14-2005, 17:30
Lakedaemonies for spartans or Spartiates
and

Cohors Praetoriae for Praetorian Cohorts
Cohors Urbanae for Urban Cohorts
Sagitarii for Roman Archers.
Funditorii for Roman Slingers

PyrrhusofEpirus
07-14-2005, 19:24
lakedaimonies for spartans
Singular: Spartiates, Lakedaimon. Plural: Spartiatai, Lakedaimoneis

Kourutsu
07-14-2005, 20:35
Get the realism mod.

pezhetairoi
07-15-2005, 01:25
Tried once, RTR doesn't work on my comp for some strange reason despite my deleting the map.rwm file as they wanted me to. So I have to work on my own now.

So what's the Greek syntax for Spartan hoplites, armoured hoplites? Do I say Spartiates Hoplitai, or is it Spartiai hoplitai? Or would Lakedaimones be more accurate.

And silvershields... They have legionnaires and pikemen, so while pikemen would be something like Argyraspides Phalangitai, what of the Legionnaires? Gee, is there even a Greek word for legionnaire?

And what is the modifier that implies something is Pontic? I want to rename the pezhetairoi that Pontus has 'Pontic Pikemen' or something to that effect.

PyrrhusofEpirus
07-15-2005, 08:30
For Spartan Hoplites, you better use the syntax for singular, Lakedaimon Hoplites and for plural, Lakedaimoneis Hoplitai.
For armoured it's a bit difficult; AFAIK there is not a greek word for it. You can use the word Thorax witch means breastplate and the adjective is Thorakismenos witch means "armoured" in modern greek, but I'm not sure for ancient. So this syntax goes; singular: Thorakismenos Hoplites, plural: Thorakismenoi Hoplitai. Another possible syntax is to use the word Panoplos witch means "full armoured" in modern at least. So it goes for singular, Panoplos Hoplites and for plural, Panoploi Hoplitai. A third possible syntax is to use the word Kataphraktos witch means "full armoured" in hellenistic and byzantine greek, but AFAIK is applicable only for cavarly. So it goes; singular: Kataphraktos Hoplites, plural: Kataphraktoi Hoplitai.
For silvershield pikemen it goes; singular: Argyraspis Phalangites, plural: Argyraspides Phalangitai. You got it! ~;)
For Legionnaires the greek word is Legeonarioi, literally from latin. Legeon=Legion. Singular: Legeonarios, plural: Legeonarioi. Though I doubt that the ancient greeks used a latin term, to describe a military unit of their own. ~;)
And what is the modifier that implies something is Pontic? I want to rename the pezhetairoi that Pontus has 'Pontic Pikemen' or something to that effect. Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.... ~:confused:
~:cheers:

pezhetairoi
07-20-2005, 00:21
i mean, to say that X is Spartan is to say Lakedaimoneis X, so to say Y is Pontic, we say (Pontos?) Y?

Simetrical
07-20-2005, 18:19
He means, what's the adjective form of Pontos? The equivalent of English Pontic?

-Simetrical