PDA

View Full Version : Too Big, too quick??

King Kurt
07-28-2005, 11:21
I am currently doing a GA, hard, early English campaign (original MTW). Things have gone pretty well. I have put France, Alohmads, Arragon and Spain to the sword. Empire spreads from Tunisia via Iberian peninsula, France to Northen Germany - currently Saxony. I have recently been excommunicated - Spain attacks me, I defend myself, Pope issues warning, I wipe them out in 2 years, save some rebels in a couple of castles and he still excomms me :furious3: - no justice. I have the largest income, but big expenses and a nice trade network, but no allies to boost income. Currently I am at war with HRE, Egypt and Novogrod. The germans look on the way out, but the Russkis look strong. Egypt looks up for the taking then its' all the middle east for the taking. Troop wise, I have been pumping longbows from wales for about 20 years, feudal knights from wessex for about 10years and wessex has just started billmen as well (mercia will have bills in about 4 years). It is about 1168.
So why am I worried? well the war with HRE seems a bit of a meat grinder. Last night the battle for saxony was very bloody - both generals killed with me loosing about 35% of my 20 unit army and about 20% of the Germans making it back to the castle. The battle was very medieval - flowing back and forwards - i thought i had won twice, but troops kept popping up. I would like to keep a bit of HRE between me and the russkis. Also, my king is 70, so I assume he will pop his clogs soon, removing excomm. I worry about war on 2 fronts - north africa and northern europe. So - long post - but what do people think?? ~:cheers:

Maeda Toshiie
07-28-2005, 15:49
Have you been teching up the iron provinces of Iberia?

"I have been pumping longbows from wales for about 20 years, feudal knights from wessex for about 10years and wessex has just started billmen as well (mercia will have bills in about 4 years). It is about 1168."

I take it that you are playing the unpatched MTW 1.0.

I personally dont use feudal knights. Their upkeep is not worth it.

"Last night the battle for saxony was very bloody - both generals killed with me loosing about 35% of my 20 unit army and about 20% of the Germans making it back to the castle. The battle was very medieval - flowing back and forwards - i thought i had won twice, but troops kept popping up."

If you are the defender, stick to your half of the map. Easy to withdraw and call in reinforcements while forcing the enemy to march up to you while you can reorganise your position after each engagement. Stick your troops together and not let your infantry chase routing enemy. Only allow your cavalry give chase when 90% of the enemy troops on the field are routing. Otherwise keep using them to flank or hit enemy foot missile.

yesdachi
07-28-2005, 17:23
I personally dont use feudal knights. Their upkeep is not worth it.
I like using the feudal knights early if I have the money but Mounted Sergeants and even Hobilars are pretty good when used correctly for a fraction of the price.

If on defense against the HRE, definitely stay put and let them come to you and put those longbows to good use. And maybe set up some hidden flankers in the forests nearby.

As far as troops go get those Irish Gallowglass and the Scottish Highland Clansman cranking! With your longbows, Egypt will be easy pickings (that should make you some money too). Keep the Bills and knights for the HRE (some longbows too of course).

You might want to use some spies to mess up the growing Novos and keep their attention on themselves and not expansion.

That’s my 2 cents, hope it helps.

EatYerGreens
07-29-2005, 15:18
You think that's a long post? What does that make my typical ones like? ~;)

Hey - I managed a one-liner! Ooops, gone and spoilt it.

King Kurt
07-29-2005, 15:23
Thanks for the thoughts - things have moved on a bit - I have stabilised my "Western Front" - i have left the HRE in about 3 provinces convienently between me and the Russkis. I am in Palestine now and conviently the Byzantines and Egyptians are beating each other up in front of me, so I anticipate walking into the prime states when they have weakened each other. The Almohads poped back in 3 states. My navies meant I jumped on them big time with 3 big stack armies whipping them out - raising over 16000 florins in cash. I also have 2 revolts back home - but they should be no bother. I am begining to wage diplomatic war on the Western Front - assasins etc. My king has just died, so I am raising another Crusade.
The AI obviously likes to knock you back, so it keeps you on your toes.
A final question is "is it worth taking Arabia" - there seems to be constant revolts and assasination attempts?"