PDA

View Full Version : RTW #14 game of all time!

Azi Tohak
07-28-2005, 23:53
Congratulations to CA!

IGN said so:

http://top100.ign.com/2005/011-020.html

I think only StarCraft will beat it myself in terms of strategy games (if you can call THAT strategy).

That being said...they also think ICO is #18, along with Half-Lifes (Lives?) at 22 and 28, with Halo at 30.

Interpret that as you will.

Imagine how well RTW would have done if it had a brain!

Azi

P.S. And because someone will ask, no, STW and MTW failed to make the list (but ICO did...along with Final Fantasy X...interesting...)

Evil_Maniac From Mars
07-29-2005, 01:38
*picks himself up off the floor*
*stops laughing*

How could IGN rate Rome so high? This is ALL TIME games, Rome wasn't that great aside from graphics. I can probably think of more than 30-40 games better than Rome!! If Rome is filled with "everything a strategy gamer could want", why are there so many complaints everywhere? Tell me that!

bodidley
07-29-2005, 02:13
Yeah, now that other strategy developers aiming at the hardcore strategy market are getting the capabilities to make nice 3d in their games, and the mainstream RTS developers are also upping the ante, gameplay will be the final testament. We're talking about a game that was next-gen when it was released. Now that the next gen. is growing up, CA can expect a lot of competition on both the mainstream and hardcore markets.

RTW is going to be swamped by a flood of games with great graphics, and some of them are going to boast far superior gameplay. Let's hope CA is going to make one of those ~;)

Mongoose
07-29-2005, 02:58
I like RTW but 14 game of ALL TIME!? i bet it will be around 75 as soon as a strat game with better graphics comes out...

antisocialmunky
07-29-2005, 03:17
The most strategic game I've palyed is Master of Orion 3, only because it simulates empire by employing a massive indirect control system.

Norxis
07-29-2005, 03:24
Well I think that the game deserves it, lets face it, if a game has a massive internet community like R:TW does, its got quite a bit of success and its well deserved, its a great game! At the core of it, we only rant and rave about the game because we love it and have played it faaaar to much. Also remember the game made it into time magazine last year, thats pretty cool......

bodidley
07-29-2005, 03:38
RTW is a good game, but considering all of the great games I have played (and all of the ones I haven't), I would have to say that RTW isn't that far up on the list of all-time greats. Plenty of greats didn't even make the list, like ROTK IV, for example, or Fallout 2. I didn't even see Civ II on there (they'll probably put Civ III in the top ten). Metal Gear Solid, by the way, though another great game, was also way over-rated. Why? It was wicked easy ( the game tells you how to beat it), and the replayability factor is dangerously close to nil.

I seriously doubt that I'll remember RTW with the same nostalgia as I remember Civ II, Doom II, or Super Mario World.

cruix
07-29-2005, 03:50
*picks himself up off the floor*
*stops laughing*

How could IGN rate Rome so high? This is ALL TIME games, Rome wasn't that great aside from graphics. I can probably think of more than 30-40 games better than Rome!! If Rome is filled with "everything a strategy gamer could want", why are there so many complaints everywhere? Tell me that!

this is IGN we;re talking about here. like gamespot, these professional reviewers havn't had a clue for about 7 odd years now.

cruix
07-29-2005, 03:53
The most strategic game I've palyed is Master of Orion 3, only because it simulates empire by employing a massive indirect control system.

you don't play MOO3, MOO3 plays you.

there's a line that divides "empire simulation" and "spreadsheet with graphics and sound". MOO3 crossed that line without ever looking back, and in so doing, almost completely doomed that genre if not for GalCiv.

Oaty
07-29-2005, 03:53
I like RTW but 14 game of ALL TIME!? i bet it will be around 75 as soon as a strat game with better graphics comes out...

That would never happen in reference to your statement. A lot of those games on that list can and have been beaten in the graphics category. What they were looking at was first in class, not a game that finally outshined it five years later. Also another qualifier was first in style.

Then again from my statement above STW should be up there vice RTW, since STW was first in it's class. Did'nt realize how I was contradicting myself until I finished the paragraph.

Hmm that list is a bit biased now that I think about it. I read the reasons for other games being on the list and most of them were ............ It was picked because it was the first game for this style or the first to support a certain type of multiplayer.

So how RTW beat STW is beyond me seeing the technique they were using for judging the games.

Anyways I'm sure the greased palms are sparkling clean by now, and all thanks to the barbarians invention that made this possible. ~D

So they've showed the 10-90, I guess the top 10 will show up soon. I'm hoping pharoah makes it because I felt it was the number 1 citybuilding/strategy game of all time. This is in consideration of the time period it was released.

Ok after some thinking I discovered what it was. Some games were nominated because of how the successor greatly improved gameplay. And RTW was the first to get rid of a boardgame interface along with the other features. But the strategy map is the breadwinner here, the goldtaker.

cruix
07-29-2005, 04:15
and if i didn't know any better, and i probably don't, i bet these IGN guys are going rank PONG in the top 10, if not the top 3. even the guy that programmed PONG admitted that he was force by the comany to make a dumbed down game to appeal to the target audience (drunks), his prior game having tanked for being too complex. yet PONG keeps getting cited by people who never got what gaming's all about and ever will as like the be all end all holy grail.

Azi Tohak
07-29-2005, 04:32
Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only person who thinks this might be a wee bit high... However...check out games 21-30. The FPS drones took over that one didn't they? But then, that is what these rankings are for. Just like pre-season sports rankings. Just get comments on how dumb the reviewers are. Remember, for each of us who have gone that site, IGN is getting money.

However, I want to smack whoever put Metroid Prime 1 at #52...and ICO (THAT is the most overrated game of the past 10 years, forget FF VII or Halo) at #18?!?!

No MTW love...but then, it does not look that great and did not sell as well (I'd wager, I have not facts) as RTW.

Azi

wlesmana
07-29-2005, 04:49
Good graphics are nothing if it doesn't enhance the atmosphere. And RTW's graphics did this in spades. Sorry, but I guess I'm of the few who prefer RTW over STW and MTW. The gameplay and strategy was best in MTW, of course, but I don't get the sense of 'epic' in there since I feel like controlling an army of ants. If I zoomed in, I feel like I'm controlling an army of paper cut-outs. RTW's graphics enhanced the feeling of a truly massive battle. Other games got better graphics, like Battle for Middle-earth for example, but the feeling of 'epic' is nowhere near that one.

I don't care how much RTW ranked in a website like IGN, but I feel it's underappreciated just because it got good graphics. It's like a really smart girl bashed for being not the brightest around just because she's a gorgeous blonde, and not an ugly geek.

Gaius Magnus
07-29-2005, 05:06
I think RTW is a great game. I think it is a big improvement over MTW and STW. Frankly, I am surprised by how much time people spend complaining about RTW.

If there are vastly superior games out there that are much more deserving of the #14 spot....

Go play them. ~:handball:

Silver Rusher
07-29-2005, 07:50
If you think it doesn't deserve it, why do you spend so much time on Total War forums? I think from IGN's point of view they're just doing a thing about how the most recent game is representative of its series. It makes sense if you think about it, because if it isn't just RTW, then the Total War series altogether definitely deserves to be number 14.

sapi
07-29-2005, 07:57
the most cinematic and convincing representations of warfare available on any platform.
Don't complain as to why - they admitted why themselves.

I think RTW is a great game. I think it is a big improvement over MTW and STW. Frankly, I am surprised by how much time people spend complaining about RTW.
If there are vastly superior games out there that are much more deserving of the #14 spot....

Go play them.

If you think it doesn't deserve it, why do you spend so much time on Total War forums? I think from IGN's point of view they're just doing a thing about how the most recent game is representative of its series. It makes sense if you think about it, because if it isn't just RTW, then the Total War series altogether definitely deserves to be number 14.

I wholeheartedly agree.

player1
07-29-2005, 08:03
Makes me wonder how Civ1 is not on the list.
Not even Pirates (original)?

Really there is interesting story about Civ1.
In first few months almost nobody bothered to buy the game.

But, as time passed, word of community started to spread and it got more and more popular.

It's something you could never see in today gaming industry.

Also, in some points, it had better atmosphere then Civ2 or Civ3 (conquest animations, newspaper headlines, "working" city view with animation for build wonders or buildings).

Mikeus Caesar
07-29-2005, 10:38
As good as RTW may be, i think that MTW or STW deserves that slot, not RTW. RTW is brain-dead eye-candy that occasionally shows signs of life, only to then have a relapse. Oh well. At least it's better than Tribes: Vengeance. It was so crap that Vivendi pulled the plug on it before they'd even released a patch for it.

SpencerH
07-29-2005, 12:31
Ludicrous. I doubt that it makes it into the top 20 strategy games (especially not if one includes RTS).

antisocialmunky
07-29-2005, 12:43
you don't play MOO3, MOO3 plays you.

there's a line that divides "empire simulation" and "spreadsheet with graphics and sound". MOO3 crossed that line without ever looking back, and in so doing, almost completely doomed that genre if not for GalCiv.

Yeah, I have to agree with that sometimes, but only if you fight the system(Roy) does it own you.

Yes, I think that STW or MTW should get a slot and not RTW. But honestly, what do you expect mainstream fanboys to do?

Azi Tohak
07-29-2005, 13:33
Here we go. Now we've got some of the RTW lovers. And I think that's great. And I must say, I am pleased this thread has gotten the attention it did.

I'll not argue that RTW is great. It is gorgeous, the strat map is brilliant, so is trading. And yes, I do find it very immersive. But again, there is usually a caveat for this. And all of you know what it is. RTW is great but....

But I am serious about congratulations to CA. They do deserve an award for their work of giving us actual strategy games, no some Warcraft clone. I'm still waiting for another company to take their ideas and make them better...not happened yet!

Azi

player1
07-29-2005, 14:18
Can't believe I don't see Jagged Alliance 2 on the list.

P.S.
As for RTW comments, I really think it's not apropriate to candidate any game that is less then 3 or 4 years old. The reason I say this, is that's the only way to see if game passed test of time.

Viking
07-29-2005, 18:46
Bah. RTW deserves that place well. It`s the best game I`ve ever played.

And complaining about STW or MTW should take the place instead..that`s too bad. Those games are not as userfriendly as RTW and does not look as good, and don`t show too much depht either.

bodidley
07-29-2005, 19:32
RTW was the first to get rid of a boardgame interface
Try Legion (2002) Conquest of the New World (1996) or Caesar II (1995) ~;)
If we don't worship RTW then why do we go to the forums? Because we payed for it, we played it, and we kind of liked it. It doesn't mean we are obliged to think it is one of the greatest games of all time :~p

cruix
07-29-2005, 19:55
Really there is interesting story about Civ1.
In first few months almost nobody bothered to buy the game.

But, as time passed, word of community started to spread and it got more and more popular.

It's something you could never see in today gaming industry.

try Introvision's Uplink or Darwinia. (Uplink if you only try one).

Coldfish
07-29-2005, 20:19
not to mention CAESAR 3 or ZEUS.....very good games at that time

Colovion
07-29-2005, 20:55
congrats to CA for getting this award but *cough*Idontagree

sik1977
07-29-2005, 23:09
What a pathetic list.... Where is Freespace 2, Baldurs Gate (1&2) and countless other classics.... though I like RTW, some of the other titles are even less deserved in that list i think.... anyhow, its one mans list... who cares....

Spartiate
07-29-2005, 23:49
I believe the TotalWar Series as a whole deserves to be somewhere in the top 10 or top 20.Personally for me they would be my number 1 choice.

Mike Tyson Punchout at 57..........PLEEEAAAAASSSEE.I cannot believe crap like that could even be in the top 100.Who mentioned the greased palms?They might be on to something.
Homeworld at only no.66?
Surely Resident Evil 1 or 2 should have been in there instead of the woefull Res Evil 4.

Kourutsu
07-30-2005, 00:18
IGN morons.

cruix
07-30-2005, 01:40
ok i'll eat my own words. they didn't rank PONG at all. thank god. :bow:

and I actually sort of agree with putting supermario bros at the #1 spot, even though as many of you have pointed out they've really left out some great games on that list. (freespace 2 for one, I think that has to be hands down the best space sim opera ever made, even edging out tie fighter. tie fighter was a great game, but without the starwars pedigree i doubt it'd recieved as much attention as it did).

Akka
07-30-2005, 04:06
Regardless of what the rank of RTW is, the IGN ranking is a huge pile of crap.

Please... They ranked things like Counter-Strike, Wing Commander II, Fallout and GTA3 (which, wether we like them or not, are milestone in the video game world) more than twenty, or even thirty places after "Madden NFL 2004" or "Wave Race 64".
PLEASE !

This is ridiculous !

Castlevania and Star Control II above Baldur's Gate II and Deus Ex ! PLEEEEEASE !
Let me puke !

Planescape Torment and Civilization weren't even on that list !

/me shakes his head in disgusted disbelief.

cruix
07-30-2005, 08:12
Castlevania and Star Control II above Baldur's Gate II and Deus Ex ! PLEEEEEASE !
/me shakes his head in disgusted disbelief.

You know, StarConII was revolutionary for its time for the same reason as Deus Ex. namely the open-ended freeroaming that it allowed you to do. Go try out the Ur-Quan Masters free-remake, come back, and tell us what you think.

Productivity
07-30-2005, 09:07
You know, StarConII was revolutionary for its time for the same reason as Deus Ex. namely the open-ended freeroaming that it allowed you to do. Go try out the Ur-Quan Masters free-remake, come back, and tell us what you think.

Seconded.

The list is shocking thought. If I posted my responses to it here I would pick up so many warning points as to be banned for 53.234 millenia.

Midnight
07-30-2005, 12:03
No PS:T *anywhere* on the list?

:dizzy2:

ToranagaSama
07-30-2005, 12:50
I got a question, on the IGN site, the top 10 isn't available or hasn't been chosen yet, correct?

So, ahhhhh, who says STW or MTW won't make it into the top 10?

Truly, STW belongs in the top 10, for the innovation that it is; really creating a whole new sub-genre. MTW is really the same game with substantially enhanced gameplay.

RTW s/b rated below STW and MTW, as it really doesn't bring anything to the table as innovative as STW did. RTW's Campaign map is a beauty to behold and innovative in its own right, when compared to STW/MTW and other such game's Strategy Maps; but, its not 'genre altering' like STW.

While RTW's graphics are in many ways an improvement over STW's and MTW's, when comparing to other games from all genres, which is what is required when considering an "all-time" list, RTW's graphics are nothing innovative or special.

It's all been done before, and is a generation or two behind the direction the industry is moving toward---photorealism.

Productivity
07-30-2005, 13:28
I got a question, on the IGN site, the top 10 isn't available or hasn't been chosen yet, correct?

Uhh, no not correct. (http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html)

player1
07-30-2005, 14:41
Ok, Civ2, Pirates and Starcraft made it to top 10.
Good, they deserve it.

Little Legioner
07-30-2005, 15:24
I don't want to be disrespectful but IGN was wrong. RTW is only a 3D wargame not a traditional TW continuation. If there will be a great one that should be MTW not RTW. Historic accuracy, funny and deep gameplay and stabilized game structure makes it a true classic. There was a mistake which repeat itself oftenly... New one is always best one. No, IGN i don't think so. :bow:

tibilicus
07-30-2005, 15:32
I must admit, IGn are wrong. Super mario bros first?! Second maby but Zelda should way be top. Ye its that time once again, were I go on and on about Zelda. Best game ever! Thank god i still have my N64. Infact, Im going to play Zelda right now. Maby beat the boss Ganandorf for the 50th odd time. ~D Any way back on topic. Romes a good game and everything and dont be mistaken I love it. But I dont think it deservs to be quite that far up the list.

cruix
07-31-2005, 08:07
(posted in the wrong thread, please ignore).

TB666
07-31-2005, 11:33
Well it is a real honor for CA that's for sure when you look at the other games on the list.
Personally even tho I love RTW I think it is alittle too high.
Most of the other games are pure classics and I don't think RTW is ready to be put on a list with those games.

ToranagaSama
07-31-2005, 11:50
Uhh, no not correct. (http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html)

Link didn't work for me.

IGN has always been a less than top tier review site, and their top 10 list proves it, and why STW isn't on the list.

They put Starcraft on the list, which doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be there, but you gotta look to the games that preceded it, the genre defining games.

Starcraft may or may not be the most successful and popular RTS game, but it didn't defined the genre. For that you gotta look to Command and Conquer and/or Dune, neither which is even in the top 20!!!

Oh, and Tetris is rated before Civ II. Tetris would be nothing if MS hadn't decided to include it in every copy of *Windows*.

Half-Life is 22, below Deus Ex???

Like someone alluded, IGN in particular appears to create such list simply to drive traffic to their sites, and can't really be serious.

GameSpy does a MUCH better job with its all-time lists. At least they take it a bit more seriously. Good grief is Total Annihilation even on list?

I'm out!

bodidley
07-31-2005, 11:57
A note about tetris- a Russian game from the Soviet era- it was on arcades, sega, gameboy, it was quite a rage (undestatement of the year) before most people had a PC.

SpencerH
07-31-2005, 16:22
Yeah, Tetris was a big deal.

Marquis of Roland
07-31-2005, 21:04
Early 90's games were some of the best.

Star Control II
X-Wing
Dune II
Civilization I & II
Street Fighter II
Final Fantasy IV(II in US)

Ahhh, I miss those days...... ~;)

Orda Khan
07-31-2005, 21:30
I have only ever played TW games. No other games interest me in the least. I suspect that BI may prove to be my No1

......Orda

Divinus Arma
08-01-2005, 01:57
Pirates!

Remeber "Pirates! Gold"?

I loved that game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memories... simple water colored memories....... in the corner... of ... my ..mind...

Crazed Rabbit
08-01-2005, 02:47
And RTW was the first to get rid of a boardgame interface along with the other features.

Actually, Lords of the Realm II (2) had a better campaign map than RTW (real maneuverability, closer to real time, you could raid enemy villages and plunder their farms, send caravans to other provinces, not to mention their camp map AI was much better, and the whole thing seemed more realistic), and it was published 1997. Seven years before RTW came out, yet RTW's campaign map isn't even as good, let alone better.

Crazed Rabbit

bodidley
08-01-2005, 03:12
The original LoR was kickin' back in '94 mind you. There have been many games without the boardgame interface that worked pretty well, RTW is just the first in the Total War series.

Gaius Magnus
08-01-2005, 15:31
Actually, Lords of the Realm II (2) had a better campaign map than RTW (real maneuverability, closer to real time, you could raid enemy villages and plunder their farms, send caravans to other provinces, not to mention their camp map AI was much better, and the whole thing seemed more realistic), and it was published 1997. Seven years before RTW came out, yet RTW's campaign map isn't even as good, let alone better.

Crazed Rabbit

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/197801/lords_screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/197801/lords_screen002.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/197801/lords_screen005.jpg

I can send it to you if you'd like. ~D

Rodion Romanovich
08-01-2005, 18:10
Hm, that list sucks. The fact that M:TW isn't above #20 on that list says it all. The fact that they've put platform and other non-tactical, non-strategical games and Sid Meier games (Civ was perhaps good but it isn't exactly user-friendly and contains plenty of stuff that makes we wonder "what were they thinking?!", for example when you get to choose whether you should build a nicer wall or nicer roof on your palace ~:eek:) on the first 10 places also says a lot...

In fact, R:TW is the first high-tech graphics intensive PC game (with high_tech graphics intensive PC game I mean anything made after around 2000 AD ~D ) on the list, which makes it even more ridiculous...

They also fail to mention what they base their list on. Popularity? Reviews by those who played the games? How important they were for the evolution of the game industry? Or all of them? In either of those four cases, the list fails to mirror the views of the majority of gamers.

Azi Tohak
08-02-2005, 01:33
I must say, I was not expecting such a huge response. But remember, IGN is loving this bashing. Everytime one of us goes to their site, they get money.

Love it or hate it, it is entertaining isn't it?

Azi

bodidley
08-02-2005, 02:15
Hmm, usually websites only get money when someone actually clicks on the ads.

xemitg
08-02-2005, 05:22
im shocked in how many of those top 100 games i have played

Azi Tohak
08-02-2005, 05:27
Hmm, usually websites only get money when someone actually clicks on the ads.

Oh :embarassed:

And I personally am surprised by the number I've never even heard of.

Half-Life? Halo? What are those games? Radioactivity and angels? ~;)

Azi

Productivity
08-02-2005, 05:46
Link didn't work for me.!

Hmm, it works for me. It gets an advertisement, but you just have to click the link up the top to get past it. In the event that it doesn't work, here are the top ten for you though. Counting down 10 - 1

Name: Super Metroid
Platform: SNES
Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Year Released: 1994
Why it Made the Top 100 List: As 3D gaming loomed on the horizon, this strictly-2D adventure showed off the SNES hardware and provided one of the most thought-out, intriguing gameplay experiences available at the time. Super Metroid took itself seriously and offered a captivating sci-fi world. As lead heroine Samus Aran, players progressively explored more complex areas of planet Zebes by collecting suit power-ups and conquering absolutely gigantic boss figures along the way. For all its subtlety, style, and intelligent design it is still adored by fans and has gone on to spawn numerous top-rated sequels.

Name: Star Wars: TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM
Platform: PC
Developer: LucasArts
Publisher: LucasArts
Year Released: 1995
Why it Made the Top 100 List: Larry Holland's epic space combat simulator released to stores and promptly set one hundred and seventy eight new bars by which all other games that planned to feature stars and shooting would be judged. Among other things, Tie Fighter Collector's CD-ROM featured super advanced polygonal graphics and crisp CD-quality audio highlighted by an ultra-intuitive, yet unimaginably deep network of starship, squad and fleet controls. The result was a wonderfully complex Star Wars universe with gameplay that still dominates the genre. And all this came accented by one of the coolest evil heroes in history. Believe us, Grand Admiral Thrawn is one bad-assed silvery grey-blue Imperial you do not want to mess around with.

Name: Street Fighter II
Platform: Arcade
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Year Released: 1991
Why it Made the Top 100 List: To this day, Street Fighter II remains one of the premier one-on-one versus videogames in existence. In fact, we still play it daily. Not only did Street Fighter II kick-start a genre which flooded the early '90s with copycat clones, but it also established many genre gameplay standards that persist even to this day: two-in-one combos, quarter-circle-forward and charge motions, etc. are still the foundation of many of today's fighting games. With a simple premise and subtly deep design, Street Fighter II established itself as a cultural icon for the youth of the time and easily deserves a top spot on our list.

Name: StarCraft
Developer: Blizzard
Publisher: Blizzard
Year Released: 1997
Why it Made the Top 100 List: StarCraft is hands down one of the best, if not the best, real-time strategy games ever created. With three distinct races, both in terms of gameplay and style Blizzard's masterpiece contains some of the most balanced and yet widely-varied units in the genre. Add in amazing production values which still look good and a brilliant story progression and you've got yourself one incredibly addictive and fulfilling strategy title that still has rabid fans all over the world. Eight years on and Blizzard continues to update the game to make it as great as it can be.

Name: Sid Meier's Pirates!
Developer: Microprose
Publisher: Microprose
Year Released: 1987
Why it Made the Top 100 List: One of the first and most open-ended and non-linear games in history, Sid Meier's booty-filled masterpiece is just as relevant today as it was nearly 20 years ago. Looking at the excellent remake/revamp for PC and Xbox proves that Pirates! is still every bit as fun, addictive, time-consuming and timeless as it was two decades ago. The game's simplicity, coupled with its seemingly never-ending possibilities, makes Pirates! just as accessible as it is deep. Sid Meier set a bar for adventure and exploration games that few to this day that have ever even approached.

Name: Super Mario 64
Platform: Nintendo 64
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Year Released: 1996
Why it Made our Top 100 List: Once upon a time, 3D games were unrefined, clumsy, and lacking precise control. And then Super Mario 64 came along and changed everything. The revolutionary title introduced analog sensitivity to console players and also showed the world that 3D games needn't be a chore to play. In stark contrast, Nintendo's breathtakingly beautiful platformer not only introduced a new level of control accuracy, but enveloped gamers in huge worlds filled with complementary objectives and challenges. Like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 also successfully updated Nintendo's mascot franchise for a new generation of gamers. The game will go down in history as a true classic.

Name: Sid Meier's Civilization II
Developer: Microprose
Publisher: Microprose
Year Released: 1996
Why it Made the Top 100 List: You can't make a list of the best games ever without including at least half a dozen of the old Microprose titles. Our favorite by far is Sid Meier's Civilization II. Building on the addictive historical strategy concept pioneered in the original game, Civilization II is one of the deepest and most complex games ever made. Players lead their civilization from the founding of its first cities through the conquest of other planets. Along the way they'll set research priorities, manage the empire's economy, build new cities, negotiate with other civilizations and, best of all, wage war across the entire globe.

Name: Tetris
Platform: Multiple Systems
Developer: Pajitnov/Pavlovsky/Gerasimov
Publisher: Various
Year Released: 1986
Why it Made the Top 100 List: In the mid-'80s a group of computer engineers designed Tetris in secret at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Thankfully, creator Alexey Pajitnov smuggled the hopelessly addictive videogame out of the Soviet Union and unleashed it across the world. Tetris is made timeless and brilliant because of its instant accessibility -- unlike chess, its motherland cousin. Rules are simple: players stack a series of falling, differently shaped "Tetramino" blocks in a well and attempt to keep it from filling up by clearing solid horizontal lines. Most Tetris players experience complete escapism, which is why many corporations and educational institutions loathe its existence. Tetris has gone on to inspire countless variations and will forever influence puzzle-based videogames.

Name: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Platform: Nintendo 64
Year Released: 1998
Why it Made our Top 100 List: Considered by many critics to be the greatest game ever made, Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of only a handful of games to receive a perfect IGN rating. The masterpiece, which stars hero Link in both child and teenage form, helped pave the way for 3D adventure games, but it will likely be remembered and adored for two other reasons: first, it reinvented Nintendo's famed Zelda franchise and actually made it better. And second, it showed Nintendo 64 fans and the larger videogame community that as revolutionary and pretty as Super Mario 64 was, Nintendo still had some serious magic in its hefty bag of tricks. Ocarina of Time is an epic undertaking shining with tight control, ingenious level design and intuitive play mechanics. It remains one of the all-time most innovative adventure outings to date.

Name: Super Mario Bros.
Platform: NES
Year Released: 1985
Why it Made our Top 100 List: Nintendo's beloved 2D platformer was number one on our Top 100 list a couple of years ago, and it had no problem holding onto the top spot in this year's vote. Perhaps the classic game remains an IGN favorite because it helped revitalize the videogame industry in the post-Atari era of gloom and doom. Or maybe it's cherished above all others because it so effortlessly represents everything that makes us love Nintendo-developed games in general: an unwavering attention to play control and level design. The game, which stars Nintendo's classic mascot hero Mario in 30-some levels of inspired 2D platforming, introduced millions of players to videogames and left them captivated. Super Mario Bros. remains one of the most pioneering and influential titles to date. More importantly, it's every bit as addictive, enjoyable, and satisfying today as it was two decades ago.