PDA

View Full Version : Briton generals dying like flies

player1
07-31-2005, 12:14
I guess, I'm doing something wrong.
But, my Briton Chariot generals seems to be dying like flees.

I can't seem to find optimal way of using them in combat.

Help?

IceTorque
07-31-2005, 12:30
Give em horses to ride.

player1
07-31-2005, 12:40
Why am I not laughing...

IliaDN
07-31-2005, 12:43
Read the guide for Brittania and the "1st Britannia challenge cup" thread.
Also modding their defense is an option>

player1
07-31-2005, 12:47
Link?

Productivity
07-31-2005, 12:52
Link?

Is it really that hard to look yourself? There is a whole forum dedicated to RTW guides, logic would suggest that the guide would reside there.

As for the challenge thread, how about a simple search using the terms "britannia challenge cup"?

player1
07-31-2005, 12:54
Yes, I found it.

IliaDN
07-31-2005, 12:54
Read the "1st Britannia challenge cup" thread.

Oops, it is missing.
Well ... you can contact Franconicus to ask him ( it was his thread ) for the correct name.
And still there is lot's of info in "Guides".

IliaDN
07-31-2005, 12:55
Yes, I found it.
And I lost it! ~:confused:

player1
07-31-2005, 12:58
I did found that thread by search, but it was pretty useless.

Just bunch of people discussing home rules for their cup.

Mikeus Caesar
07-31-2005, 13:00
Briton Generals die like flies, because there is only one word to describe them - utter crap. I recommend not using Brit Generals or any form of British chariot in battle. You'll only suffer huge losses. You can use the chariots that fire arrows though. As long as they're on Skirmish.

player1
07-31-2005, 13:03
I kinda came to same conclusion.

Still, it would be nice to know in which situations is safe to use briton generals (since as bodyguards, you always have them), without getting them killed in the process.

IliaDN
07-31-2005, 13:04
I did found that thread by search, but it was pretty useless.

Just bunch of people discussing home rules for their cup.
There are two such threads one with rules, other - with gaming process.

bubbanator
07-31-2005, 15:21
I have found that they die very quickly and are crappy except in one situation. When they are fighting Roman Armored Generals, they kill them like flies. With regular Roman Generals, the charriots get annihalated, but if its an armored general, the charriots kill them very very quickly. I was shocked.

TB666
07-31-2005, 15:24
I always use them so that they hit the enemy from behind.
Also attacking units that are in a thick formation is suicide of course.

SpencerH
07-31-2005, 16:20
Dont use the chariots as shock troops (heavy chariots is definitely a misnomer). Instead, use them as light cav (unless absolutely necessary) i.e. slashes against flank and rear.

swirly_the_toilet_fish
07-31-2005, 18:43
Chariots die out so quickly because the second armour (chariot's armour) is 0 / 1 / 0 (can't hold a shield). Even with the 5 HPs on the chariot, it has no defense and so acts only like 5 peasants. Modding the stats, or giving them a different mount (probably best option) is the only real way to spare your generals. :rtwyes:

professorspatula
07-31-2005, 20:16
Use the heavy chariots only when the enemy unit is shaken or wavering. Then send in the chariots. The unit routs, the chariots knock them flying, and often sets up a chain reaction. When I played a Briton campaign, my generals destroyed everything, but only when my slingers and light chariots first put the fear into the enemy units.

If you are playing a modded game where units have higher mental stats and possibly the battles are slowed down in general, the poor chariots are weaker and less useful by default as their strength is in causing fear. Up the morale of the enemy and suddenly they have a tougher time. A few points of armour can help boost the chariot's effectiveness, but makes them even more overpowered in auto-resolved battles.

pezhetairoi
08-01-2005, 04:30
Chariots, for survivability, need mount defence. Their mount defence is crap although their armour and hit points are uber. All generals' chriots have 2+4 HP or something like that, but the +4 is pretty much useless when they are used up really fast because your mount chariot defense is only 1-1 or somethign to that effect. Mod it up, otherwise they dies real easy. On another note, use chariots only against enemies with no staying power, like eastern inf, warbands, etc. Do not try them against cohorts or phalanxes because the infantry there can hold ground and stop your chariots. If they stop moving they can't bring their scythed blades to bear on the enemy legs so they lose their super 15 ap attack. There. Keep them moving and only hack off the edges of enemies. Don't let it degenerate into melee. Prevent your chariots from diving into formation, they are most effective when they run parallel to enemy formations dragging their scythes through them. The horses are pointless. Make sure you maximise the scythes.

RollingWave
08-01-2005, 09:18
The main problem with chariot general seem to be that they die as easy as any other charioteer where as a mounted general tend to be much more durable, this is a design flaw probably as they overlooked this problem is in the way chariots are coded (they probably just gave the general bonus to the general but forgot to give the the horse and other guy on the chariot.. but chariots die when any of them dies)

As for chariots overall.. they are tricky to use, they can be utterly devastating or utterly useless.... the main trick is to make sure u either charge with a huge load of chariots or you follow up it's charge with other troops very quickly. as they are very good at knocking things down but not out. they are perfect for throwing a legion into disarray then have those swordsmen or woadwarriors chop the legion to bits.

but really... if ur playing brit in the normal RTW, just mass head hurler and it's gg.

Franconicus
08-01-2005, 10:53
Chariots are not that bad at all. All you need is some experience (for you and the troops ~:cool: ).
In the beginning they die like flies. Try to train them. Attack weak rebel formations. They are also hard to control. But once they are experienced and you know how to use them they are some of the best shock troops I ever used.
First they are excellent against cavalry, regardless what kind of. They just eat the enemy!
Once the enemy cav is done you can flank the enemy and hit it in the side or back. Always keep your chars running, never stop them! Chariots do not kill as many inf. men as other heavy cav but it sure makes them route better than any other unit. Then you can use the (rather useless) rest of your army to chase them.
Playing Brits my chariots won every field battle.