PDA

View Full Version : music

Csargo
08-06-2005, 03:22
the music on my MTW doesn't work anymore I just got Viking Invasion and it worked just fine before I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out

EatYerGreens
08-06-2005, 19:13
Go to Start/Run and type 'dxdiag.exe' (without the quotes). Let it run its tests then go to the sound/music tabs to see if it reports any problems.

I recall that the VI Expansion installer offers to install a Direct-X update for you. If you knew you had already upgraded your Direct-X to a version newer than what the VI disc offered, you will likely have skipped this stage.

In an ideal world, even if you had proceeded to let it install what's on the disc, it should have recognised that the current version was newer and skipped file overwrites, making the install process complete itself unusually rapidly.

Worst case scenario is that something went wrong, leaving you with a mixture of older and newer Direct-X files on your system, which is known to cause nasty problems.

The last few versions of Direct-X I have installed all warned that they cannot be un-installed. So I think that the only real fix is to revisit the Windows Update site, download the latest version of D-X and go through the install process once again. This should overwrite whatever the VI disk put onto your PC and make your DX installation internally consistent. Run DXDIAG.EXE again to ensure all is working okay.

Beware that you need to ensure your hardware - video and sound cards - can actually support the latest versions of Direct-X, BEFORE you attempt to install it. For a PC which is getting on for 5 years old, even the DX version on the VI disk (which is itself out of date) may be beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Windows Update may have some listings of known problematic devices.

Other than that, I assume you've already tried the most obvious fix, which is to start MTW:VI, go into the relevant menu and check the settings for sound and music, to ensure they are active.