PDA

View Full Version : disappearing ability to build xbows

Mr White
08-07-2005, 15:17
I used to play MTW version 1.0. Now in mid campaign I installed the patch v 1.1. The problem however is now that I can't build xbows anymore, when I could before. Seeing what damage this unit could do in comparrison with normal archers, I would rather be able to build them again.

I'm playing the Spanish on normal (this is one of my first campaigns), the year is 1135 and I was building xbows in Aragon with a bowyers' workshop.

So why can't I build them anymore and what can I do about it?

Geezer57
08-07-2005, 16:02
I used to play MTW version 1.0. Now in mid campaign I installed the patch v 1.1. The problem however is now that I can't build xbows anymore, when I could before. Seeing what damage this unit could do in comparrison with normal archers, I would rather be able to build them again.

I'm playing the Spanish on normal (this is one of my first campaigns), the year is 1135 and I was building xbows in Aragon with a bowyers' workshop.

So why can't I build them anymore and what can I do about it?

Crossbows are eligible for building only in the High and Late periods. There was a bug in v1.0 that allowed them to be built - fixed by the v1.1 patch. Wait until 1205 AD and they'll show up again in your build options.

Mr White
08-07-2005, 16:24
Crossbows are eligible for building only in the High and Late periods. There was a bug in v1.0 that allowed them to be built - fixed by the v1.1 patch. Wait until 1205 AD and they'll show up again in your build options.

Thanks, I suspected something like that.

PS do arbalesters only come available in late or can I build them right from 1205?

Geezer57
08-07-2005, 16:29
"do arbalesters only come available in late or can I build them right from 1205?"

Arbalesters also become available in High, and require a Bowyers Guild to build. They get a +1 valor bonus if you upgrade the building to a Master Bowyer, which will make them even more accurate (especially with a multi-star command general in charge).

Martok
08-07-2005, 18:33
"do arbalesters only come available in late or can I build them right from 1205?"

Arbalesters also become available in High, and require a Bowyers Guild to build. They get a +1 valor bonus if you upgrade the building to a Master Bowyer, which will make them even more accurate (especially with a multi-star command general in charge).

Actually, constructing a Bowyers Guild only grants missile units a +1 bonus to their *melee* stats, not their accuracy (although the +1 bonus does also improve their morale). Unfortunate, but true. Not that you shouldn't construct the Bowyers Guild anyway--there's something to be said for archers/x-bows that can actually survive melee combat.

Grey_Fox
08-07-2005, 18:45
Actually valour increases accuracy, although it does not become very noticable until the unit is around 6 valour or so.

From the Numerology thread over at the .com:

"longjohn2
Programmer
posted 10-30-2002 07:38 PM

Valour does increase accuracy, but not by much. The accuracy was increased in MI rendering the valour upgrade relatively minor.
Never quite found time to address it in MTW"

Also, Arbalasters do not become available until Late Era, which starts in 1320.

Maeda Toshiie
08-07-2005, 19:05
Also, Arbalasters do not become available until Late Era, which starts in 1320.

Thats for multiplayer. In SP, Arbalasters and their pavise versions are available in High, at least for VI 2.01 that I play.

Grey_Fox
08-07-2005, 20:52
Ahh, ok thanks for the correction Maeda.