PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly What kind of victory conditions are you hoping for?

Epistolary Richard
08-13-2005, 11:49
As we all know, CA have said that BI will include editable victory conditions. So what kind of conditions would you like to be able to edit?

Number of provinces, obviously.

Would you like to include specific provinces that you had to conquer?

A certain amount of money?

Destruction of specific factions?

Level of city progress?

More...?

caesar44
08-13-2005, 12:06
From a Barbaric point of view - the capture of Rome or Constantinopolis + xx provinces (including most of Italy) + the destruction of 1 of the 2 roman factions
From a Roman point of view - survival in at least xx provinces including Rome and most of Italy + the spreading of Christianity in xx provinces

The possibilities are endless...

TB666
08-13-2005, 12:07
Well the goths and Vandals needs to capture Rome and the Vandals should also capture Carthage.
The saxons would capture Great Britain.
And Western and eastern roman empire should restore the empire.
I wouldn't be surprise if these are already the victory conditions but if not then it is good to know.

Shaun
08-13-2005, 12:48
well, the romans need to survive, the saxons need to take briton, the saramatians need to hold on to regions around the black sea, and the sassanids need to take more of the east.

[DnC]
08-13-2005, 13:01
I don't know yet. But I wasn't aware CA was going to include editable victory conditions in BI!! Are you sure the number of provinces can be edited? Hopefully no limits on the options given alá number of men in a unit and such!

Gonna read the FAQ at the .COM then.

Shaun
08-13-2005, 13:15
well, im sure the number of provs can be edited! it was done in RTR, EB,FOR,CTW and so on.

Viking
08-13-2005, 14:11
I remember I read the victory conditions for the Western Roman Empire and the Sarmatians somewhere, if I just could remember where.

[DnC]
08-13-2005, 14:16
well, im sure the number of provs can be edited! it was done in RTR, EB,FOR,CTW and so on.

I mean the amount of provinces needed to win.

Coldfish
08-13-2005, 14:17
From my point of view...it will be great these victory conditions:

Western Roman Empire : resist against any faction and protect Rome
Eastern Roman Empire : Hold Constantinopol
Huns : Destroy Western Roman Empire + 50 regions
Sassanids : Conquer all Middle East
Vandals : Conquer Africa and Iberia
Other Barbarian Factions : resist and hold their lands against the Huns or any faction

other remaining factions...dont count that much for me

Conqueror
08-13-2005, 16:52
IIRC there was a post by CA staff (maybe on the .com forums? can't remember) where they said that the Eastern Roman Empire must conquer the Western Empire to win the campaign.

sunsmountain
08-13-2005, 18:40
- A library in Alexandria
- Defend your homelands
- Points for conquest
- Take your homelands (predefined)
- Create your homelands (play-defined)
- A christian cathedral in Rome (level 5 temple)
- Control the trade of certain goods
.. etc.

IliaDN
08-13-2005, 18:43
IMO point system in MTW was nice, si it would be cool if it will be optional in the BI.

Dutch_guy
08-13-2005, 19:13
you mean the GA mode right ?
Yes that would be nice if they managed to add , and improve that option with BI.
Would be good if you got rewarded for Holding of the Vandals , or just destroying rival factions within a certain time-frame.

:balloon2:

sapi
08-14-2005, 03:26
Yes - the ga mode would make defense as the romans possible and rewarding - here's hoping...

Mr Frost
08-14-2005, 05:01
I miss Glorious Acheivements .
I also miss recording Campaign Battles .

The C/A need to ask their customers before they scrap a major function or mode like those . :no:

Taurus1
08-14-2005, 07:16
The victory conditions I would like to see are all listed above mostly. I would like to see less capture so many provinces though and more defeat certain factions and protect certain vital cities. For example as the Huns you ould have to ransack your way through all of Europe and beyond while still maintaining your homeland and protecting it from invasion that sort of thing. All the victory conditions above though guys look very nice. :bow:

AntiochusIII
08-14-2005, 07:25
Victory conditions?

2 things:

1. Moddable conditions.

2. GA mode. It rules. Simple.

Grand Duke Vytautas
08-14-2005, 18:11
Will it be possible to edit vanilla RTW victory conditions? Cause that would be also very cool imo ~D

Orda Khan
08-15-2005, 11:13
Some excellent suggestions so far. I would imagine that the Saxons would need more than just Britain. I would expect most of the 'Barbarian' factions would need to achieve certain objectives plus destroy at least one Roman Empire. I would like to see the Huns get the objective of destroying both Empires. Since they did in fact campaign against both and knowing that the Western Empire alone would never have been enough for them, I feel it would certainly add to their campaign.
I am hoping for meaningful alliances whereby we will see our allies arrive on the battlefield to help us. This happened in MTW occasionally but not often enough as far as I'm concerned. I really would like to be able to demand assistance from a subject faction or ally

........Orda

magnum
08-15-2005, 16:15
Really hoping for the return of the GA mode, but I'm not holding my breath. Have a feeling that would fall under the category of a basic game function change and not an expansion enhancement. Still, I can hope. ~:)

Taurus
08-15-2005, 16:56
We can all hope :bow:

sunsmountain
08-15-2005, 20:26
Yup. It's the only design decision i do not understand: Rather have those Senate Missions one after another instead of a nice list of what to do in your own time and pace. And why give only Roman factions missions? I hope they change this, but it's not as important as a better AI, i'm sure you will agree.

Ciaran
08-16-2005, 09:30
Some condition interesting for modding, perhaps, would be holding a certain percentage of the provinces controlled by one culture (e.g. hold half of all Roman controlled provinces) and combining victory conditions.

Epistolary Richard
08-16-2005, 10:17
Really hoping for the return of the GA mode, but I'm not holding my breath. Have a feeling that would fall under the category of a basic game function change and not an expansion enhancement. Still, I can hope. ~:)
Sorry, I came to TW with Rome. Can someone tell me briefly what Glorious Achievements are?

Ciaran
08-16-2005, 10:28
As far as I know from MTW, GA mode means you don´t only have to conquer the world, but do other tasks as well, depending on the faction you are playing. It might be doing certain crusades, building a certain high-level building, keep your homelands etc.
You get points for each achievement and when the game time runs out, the faction with most points wins, as opposed to holding 60 or 100% of the map.

AntiochusIII
08-16-2005, 10:34
The key to the GA mode is not about points, though. You could get more direct points via civilization style. Instead, the key is to roleplay and give out many different objectives specific to a faction. You realize what your faction is all about. You are not obligated to do it with more bad than good (i.e. senate missions), but you will be given "directions" of what your faction had/should achieve. It is a very nice feature and I never ever played an MTW campaign game without setting the GA mode on.

The Romans could be well rewarded for holding back hordes of enemies while different barbarians are given "directions" to where should they go through this mode. It was elegantly simple and effective and I never understood why they remove it.

parcelt
08-17-2005, 12:12
Hate to be bringing the bad news, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the faqs that there will be no GA-type victory conditions in BI.

I was hoping for it too, loved it in MTW. Altough depending on which faction you played with, it would add more or less value. I remember for some factions the goals were so lame it didn't really affect your strategic decision making. For other factions it was great though. Anybody remember the French? They started out holding a few regions in the middle east with a small crusader army and one of the GA's was sending a new crusade. :charge:

Intrepid Sidekick
08-17-2005, 17:31
The victory conditions are made up of specific regions combined with the number of regions.

So as an example: Britannia Superior, Britannia Inferior and 15 other regions.

These are editable and you can be as specific as you like in which regions you want taken.

i.e If you want to define 10 regions specifically you can.

Having said that, if you pick the right regions to be objectives for your win conditions, the player will usually have to occupy most of those around the target regions to keep control of them anyway.

The Stranger
08-17-2005, 17:36
sounds like risk to me ~D

Duke Malcolm
08-17-2005, 17:44
sounds fun to me. more strategy like that, I think.

Reidy
08-17-2005, 20:29
From the FAQ at the .COM:

"Q: Will there be different campaign objectives than in the original game?

A: Yes. It’s more than 300 years on from the original game so objectives are different. For the nomad factions not getting crushed by the Huns becomes an important objective."

"Q. Will we have different victory conditions? Will they be editable?
A. Yes. Obviously each faction has its own victory conditions. These will be editable, should you feel like it."

bubbanator
08-17-2005, 20:43
I think that GA mode would be fantastic.

Another thing though. This isn't a victory condition but I think it is something that needs to be mentioned. In RTW when a faction loses it's capital city, nothing bad happens. Losing a capital should be a major blow to the faction. Public order should plumit in all settlements, possibly a civil war. Desertion of your troops or your economy falling into shambles could be some others. Losing your capital should be basicaly the worst thing that could happen to a faction IMO, even more so for the 'civilized' nations. I think that it would be a great feature.

Conqueror
08-17-2005, 21:36
Too easy to avoid that since you can freely change your capital any time.

bubbanator
08-18-2005, 01:26
Too easy to avoid that since you can freely change your capital any time.

Yes, and that is one of the things that needs to be changed. I don't think that you should be able to change your capital ever. Maybe once every 50 years or so, but no more.

caesar44
08-19-2005, 23:11
From the FAQ at the .COM:

"Q. Will we have different victory conditions? Will they be editable?
A. Yes. Obviously each faction has its own victory conditions. These will be editable, should you feel like it."

:smash: :rolleyes2:
On second thought - don't belive them...

zenisar
09-15-2005, 20:55
Something - even loosely - related to culture, e.g. hold all the wonders of the world. Or related to religion, e.g. spread christianity to all nations. In both cases, no matter how, diplomacy would play a role side by side with military force in "persuasion" of other factions to accept your "reasonable and justified" demands... Or another idea: shape the world in such a way that there are only your allies or protectorates left, and no one else ...

Dark_Magician
09-16-2005, 10:23
I think that GA mode would be fantastic.

Another thing though. This isn't a victory condition but I think it is something that needs to be mentioned. In RTW when a faction loses it's capital city, nothing bad happens. Losing a capital should be a major blow to the faction. Public order should plumit in all settlements, possibly a civil war. Desertion of your troops or your economy falling into shambles could be some others. Losing your capital should be basicaly the worst thing that could happen to a faction IMO, even more so for the 'civilized' nations. I think that it would be a great feature.

you are so freaking right.. though for barbarians it is not important, for romans losing Rome, it is nightmare came true

PseRamesses
09-16-2005, 11:12
These two main choices are my suggestion:
1. Individual GA-goals based on history. Like in MTW each faction could have numerous smaller GA-goals like build a specific building, take a certain province, eliminate a faction, establish trade/ alliance/ military access with a certain faction etc etc. This way the historical development of the game is assured to some extent.
2. Alternate goals like area/ provinces, military, economy, population, relations, development, domination etc where you pick one OR several choices at game setup.