PDA

View Full Version : Useless MTW trivia...

Roark
08-18-2005, 00:10
Saw "Bubba Hotep" (starring Bruce Campbell) with my gal last night and I noticed that they nicked some of the music from MTW for the movie score.

Y'know the haunting female vocals that play when you're on the Muslim campaign map? That's the one.

I hope this has enriched all of your lives. :book:

Joshwa
08-18-2005, 00:19
That's wierd, some guy over at Totalwar.com just noticed the exact same thing ~:)

Roark
08-18-2005, 00:20
I just didn't want to neglect the Guild. :bow:

Procrustes
08-18-2005, 04:53
I loved that movie! Elvis in a nursing home fighting aliens, can't beat it.

I haven't played the MTW music in a long time - will have to give it a go and then rent the movie.

Martok
08-19-2005, 03:34
Heh. I just heard a bit of Medieval's Muslim music on an episode of CSI (Las Vegas) a couple nights ago. It was kind of trippy. :dizzy2:

Del Arroyo
08-19-2005, 05:48
Maybe you're all tripping and that's the problem...

Martok
08-19-2005, 08:20

Possibly. ~;) The funny thing is, my other roommate (the one that doesn't play MTW--yet ~D ) was the one watching CSI and pointed it out to me: "Hey, this sounds like the music from that one game where you like to play as the Egyptians!" So if I *am* crazy, then at least I know I'm not the only one!

WesW
08-25-2005, 15:07
I'm pretty sure these are commercial recordings that CA and the movies, etc. all bought a license to use in their work.

ToranagaSama
08-26-2005, 01:20

LOL!!

Maybe Del Arroyo is right!

Generic homoginized western stylized *Muslim* music sounding all the like. Not from MTW, but that's just a guess.

Licensing music to put on hundreds of thousands (or more) of game CDs, I would imagine, is a bit expensive, just for game atmosphere.

What most companies do is hire/contract an in-house musician, or outsource a musician to *create* unique music/sounds. A LOT cheaper!! Flat fee and *ownership* vs. license and Royalty payments.

JMO

Zild
08-26-2005, 11:21
Unless the music wasn't in much demand, in which case it is possible to get it quite cheap.

In fact, I'm developing a game at present, and the deal we seem to be going for with the music is that we both have full rights to redistribute - we can use it for the game, sequels, expansion packs and even soundtrack CDs if we wanted, and they are free to sell it on for use in movies, other games, whatever...

There are many good musicians (and other forms of artists) who haven't made it yet and are willing to accept less pay whilst building their portfolio.

Mind you, he hasn't said yes yet... ;)

Theoderic
05-04-2009, 22:01
watching the movie "ultraviolet" i immediately recognized the epic music coming from my television as the music that plays whenever you're a muslim faction! it made me love the movie that much more i think

Weebeast
05-05-2009, 11:55
Yeah CA bought license to some. I cant remember what but I heard one of the Arab tension tracks playing in some movie. Also that muslim charging sound is included as one of the ambient sounds in Day of Defeat, dod_charlie map. You can hear it if you concentrate, separate charge cry from the ricochet noise, mortar, bullets etc.

rabcarl
05-23-2009, 03:54
I thought I read on wikipedia that some guy recorded some music specifically for MTW and that his wife/girlfriend/whatever did the vocals, IIRC.

I also notice this a lot, I have a freakishly good memory when it comes to trivial crap like this. It seems to me that I hear a lot of the sound effects from the game Riven around.

nzd07
05-25-2009, 03:54
It must have been recorded... MTW couldn't of just stolen their Music and Effects from some random movie, and why would they go through all the trouble to get the rights anyways?

rabcarl
05-29-2009, 11:08
No I think what they meant was that MTW bought some sound effects from another source to use in their game, which is possible, but IIRC not the music. Ah, yes, here it is. From wikipedia "After his stint in EA, van Dyck became the composer for the popular Total War franchise of The Creative Assembly. During his collaboration with the video game developer, van Dyck won a British Academy of Film and Television Arts Award (in 2001) and garnered a nomination (in 2005)." That's interesting, do you think that the shows mentioned earlier bought the music from CA or just infringed on the copyright?

Roark
06-04-2009, 05:46
I'd say they bought the rights from the composer, as I assume CA did too. None of it is necessarily exclusive.