PDA

View Full Version : Worst Faction to Play?

Budwise
08-18-2005, 10:22
I'm not asking whats the worst because of skill level or tech tree, I am asking for the FUN FACTOR rating.

The reason I am asking is: For a challenge, I played Poland and I actually felt like I was in prison doing time playing that faction. I played to 60% and then I quit.

I think the most fun is England but I am so tired of starting off in that part of the world. I think I will try Egypt or Elmos when I figure out the problem with the driver conflicts.

bretwalda
08-18-2005, 10:45
I think most fun is the Turkish faction and you are probably right about the Polish as being the most unfun - at least in VI 2.01. The reasons: no funky unit except retainers that are nothing special, no crusade and powerful BUT similar troops type neighbors. You are living on the edge but without a nice and versatile troops roster. Anyway my 0.02 forints :wink:

I'm not asking whats the worst because of skill level or tech tree, I am asking for the FUN FACTOR rating.

The reason I am asking is: For a challenge, I played Poland and I actually felt like I was in prison doing time playing that faction. I played to 60% and then I quit.

I think the most fun is England but I am so tired of starting off in that part of the world. I think I will try Egypt or Elmos when I figure out the problem with the driver conflicts.

Knight Templar
08-18-2005, 11:19
The funniest faction for me are Egyptians. They control the holy land so all catholic factions send crusades and they have very interesting unique units. Swiss are good too.
The most boring are Polish and Danes

Crusader4thepeople
08-18-2005, 20:40
Poles arnt to bad in XL Mod as you have bohemia + Lithuania + Teutonic Knights to contend with. Danes are always fun IMO

dgfred
08-18-2005, 20:45
I'm not much help with this question because I only play as HRE, France,
Danes or Spain with a small dabble with the Alomads and the Egyptians :dizzy2: . I don't like the Poles, Turks, English, Byz or the Italians
too much so that would be my answer....... I guess. All can be fun if in the
right frame of mind. I just have a blast with the HRE and the Danes :medievalcheers: .

Don Corleone
08-18-2005, 21:36
Sicily is pretty dull. Yes, they can crusade, but:

-Every male member of the royal family's name begins with 'A' ??????????

-They get Knights Templar, not Hospitalier. I hate Knights Templar.

-They get galleys, not barques/caravels. No deep water??? Bleah.

-They don't get any unique troops.

-There's not many options for diplomacy.

Graphic
08-18-2005, 23:02
I've never been able to stick with a Catholic faction for long, their early units are just so...eh. And I don't have the patience to wait for the goodies. Other factions get coolness from the start.

Roark
08-19-2005, 01:11
For me, the least fun is the HRE (Germans).

Having a large proportion of your provinces landlocked from day one means a lot of micromanagement on the campaign map. Armies take 3 to 4 years to get where they're needed most. Not to mention the loyalty/crap heir bug. Yeah, I said bug.

I haven't played them in Late though. Goths are at least 8 kinds of goodness.

Gawain of Orkeny
08-19-2005, 01:43
Play the real game, MP. I played sp for about 3 weeks. After conquering the world 2 and a half times I decided to go online and test my skills. Well its now three years later and Ive yet to even try a sp game again. MP is the only way to fly ~;) Then we can talk factions.

Martok
08-19-2005, 03:57
For me, the least fun is the HRE (Germans).

Having a large proportion of your provinces landlocked from day one means a lot of micromanagement on the campaign map. Armies take 3 to 4 years to get where they're needed most. Not to mention the loyalty/crap heir bug. Yeah, I said bug.

I haven't played them in Late though. Goths are at least 8 kinds of goodness.

I second that; HRE is my least favorite. You start with a crapload of mediocre provinces, most of which are landlocked. You're completely surrounded, mostly by other Catholic factions, so you're virtually guaranteed to get ex-commed at least once every couple decades (if not more). And by the time your really cool units become available, you've usually won the game already.

dgfred
08-19-2005, 03:58
Play the real game, MP. I played sp for about 3 weeks. After conquering the world 2 and a half times I decided to go online and test my skills. Well its now three years later and Ive yet to even try a sp game again. MP is the only way to fly ~;) Then we can talk factions.

Gives us more details anyway on the factions in MP, and maybe you will
convert us quickly ~;) . You will be assimilated :alien: . ~D

dgfred
08-19-2005, 04:03
I second that; HRE is my least favorite. You start with a crapload of mediocre provinces, most of which are landlocked. You're completely surrounded, mostly by other Catholic factions, so you're virtually guaranteed to get ex-commed at least once every couple decades (if not more). And by the time your really cool units become available, you've usually won the game already.

Come on you guys, you are hurting my feelings talking about 'my boys' :cry: .
For me it is different because almost one in ten of the units have the name
of Friedrich ~:cool: and my last name is Frederick. If some Martoks and
Roarks were conquering the world wouldn't you like that certain faction.
It is crazy, I know, but it brings some extra flavor to the game for me :dizzy2: .

Roark
08-19-2005, 05:05
dgfred: I hear ya, man. In fact, now I'm slightly jealous... ~;)

As I said, it's mainly the location which was frustrating. My economic skills aren't perfect either, which meant that I was often poor for extended periods.

Swiss units and Goths dominate. I went to town with them in a big way.

Yeah, that sounds cool etc, but multiplayer is kinda missing the campaign side of things, which some people actually enjoy... :book:

I'm sure it's a real crucible for battleground skills, but you're talking apples, we're talking oranges, dude.

Martok
08-19-2005, 08:07
Come on you guys, you are hurting my feelings talking about 'my boys' :cry: .
For me it is different because almost one in ten of the units have the name
of Friedrich ~:cool: and my last name is Frederick. If some Martoks and
Roarks were conquering the world wouldn't you like that certain faction.
It is crazy, I know, but it brings some extra flavor to the game for me :dizzy2: .

Hey, I totally understand. ~:cool: Nothing personal, I just don't enjoy playing as the HRE that much. Heck, I'm not all that crazy about the Danes either (setting aside the joy of Huscarles), and the greater part of my bloodline is Norwegian/Danish/Swedish. Don't get me wrong; I'm certainly proud of my Scandanavian heritage. The fact is, however, I don't play as the Danes very much, because they're just not a whole lot of fun for me--especially once you hit the High period, as you can't train your Viking units anymore.

It's kind of like my feelings towards Sicilians and Turks. Personally, in the real world, I think they're good people. In Medieval, however, I usually make a point of destroying them as soon as possible. ~D

Zarax
08-19-2005, 08:07
I would try the Hungarians for a change...
You get Szekelys at the start but that's all.

You will most likely face the horde, be squeezed between two empires and last but not least find your reign to be the crusaders highway while you can't launch one yourself (at least in unmodded)...

On the positive side, you got excellent roads to expansion south and east...

Use the mod in my sig for an extra challenge with them (no heavy cav and no heavy inf, the steppes will be your friend)

Productivity
08-19-2005, 08:26

Sicily can get interesting if the Pope decides he wants to get into a long war with you - but aside from that they seem to be a bit of a strange faction. It's not that they can't grow, but they just seem to have no real objectives.

GA is awful, they only have crusades, homelands and conquests. So boring.

Budwise
08-19-2005, 08:41
HEY, I love the Danes. To make them fun, attack the HRE from the getgo. MY best game was when I forgot to build up trade and my heirs were draining me dry. MY only choice was to go up against the HRE with almost nothing. After taking half their land, I allied with them and stayed their ally taking out everyone else for most of the game.

NO CRUSADES SUCKS SO BADLY THOUGH!!!!!

English assassin
08-19-2005, 18:10
I only played one campaign as the Russians and that was pretty boring. Boyars were OK if you like that sort of thing but it didn't really make up for having no other decent units. I had to resort to Halbs as my main inf and.....they......are......so.......slow......

I started in High, had a rush to get ready to deal with the horde, dealt with it, got bored and gave up. Never again.

I've never started the Byz in early but that must be pretty dull too because (I assume) it must be ridiculously easy.

dgfred
08-19-2005, 18:45
HEY, I love the Danes. To make them fun, attack the HRE from the getgo. MY best game was when I forgot to build up trade and my heirs were draining me dry. MY only choice was to go up against the HRE with almost nothing. After taking half their land, I allied with them and stayed their ally taking out everyone else for most of the game.

NO CRUSADES SUCKS SO BADLY THOUGH!!!!!

Me too ~:cheers: . It is a fairly easy start after taking Sweden and Norway,
then smacking HRE some. Not so many provinces to deal with and solid units
for the early yrs :medievalcheers: .

m52nickerson
08-19-2005, 21:47
What, Poland no fun? True they only get one unique unit, but they can easily get some others, such as Avar nobles, heavy stepp calv. They are also one of the frations that gets Bulgarian brigands. If you are quick you could even get some viking troops from Norway or Sweden. They also have a great starting positon, you can take the whole of the stepps right off the bat. Well thats just my opinon.

dgfred
08-19-2005, 21:56
What, Poland no fun? True they only get one unique unit, but they can easily get some others, such as Avar nobles, heavy stepp calv. They are also one of the frations that gets Bulgarian brigands. If you are quick you could even get some viking troops from Norway or Sweden. They also have a great starting positon, you can take the whole of the stepps right off the bat. Well thats just my opinon.

Good ideas from 'the Polish Viking' ~:cool: :medievalcheers:

Goofball
08-19-2005, 22:28
I find that all of the factions that can neither Crusade or Jihad (i.e. Denmark, Byz) are not as fun to play. But at least with the Byz you get a bunch of cool unique units.

TwinMfg
08-20-2005, 01:24
I find Sicily being my least favorite/most boring. Eggies are second on my list. Don't ask me why, they just have not appeal factor to me.

I think Poland is great for a challenge. All your neighbors are expansionistic, your provinces are fairly poor, your units (barring Avars, etc) are lackluster, and you're guaranteed the the GH will come a knockin'.

Emerald Wolf
08-20-2005, 03:07
I just started playing medmod and playing as Aragon you just get f**ked six ways from sunday. It's 3 turns and then some combinationof France, Spain and the Elmo's knocking for playtime.
Though once, I had France attacking from the north, Spain from the West, but I retreated to the castle and managed to get a large force of Christian Rebels bribed. Had 2 florins left after and no income but it was enough to get my ass out of the castle and hold on for dear life. Took about 30 years to get at least one province in every direction from Aragon.

PittBull260
08-20-2005, 03:11
i think sicily's a lot of fun to play as, I usually go straight for the holy land :)

but the Polish are probably my least favorite...i duno they just......suck

m52nickerson
08-20-2005, 04:38
Man everyone is hating on my Poles!

Strike For The South
08-20-2005, 05:37
Sicily sucks so generic so lame

Samurai Waki
08-20-2005, 06:05
I'm rather fond of playing Poland, a good challenge on VH. Although my favorite faction remains the Elmo's ~D

Patron
08-20-2005, 09:45
The sicilians rule on early GA, because of all the crusades and the feat of taking Naples from the Byzantines as early as possible (4 turns). You might want to get a cease fire with them though, or your crusades might get into trouble.

cegorach
08-20-2005, 10:26

Maybe you should try PMTW 1.0 for a change - Husaria at Kircholm will cheer you up. ~;)

Regards Cegorach :book:

Tricky Lady
08-20-2005, 11:21

Don Corleone, not sure if you're still checking this thread for an answer to your first question, but you might want to check out a post I ...errr... posted last year: link (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=467628&postcount=1)

It works...

Budwise
08-20-2005, 11:27
I think we all hate the Poles because even historically, they are a weak nation. Okay, I will give them a break for falling to both Nazies and USSR at the same time because they were tag teamed on two fronts but seriously, three guys cross the border and the Poles crap their pants and run.

I think the only nation in history with a worst war record is the Phillipeans. They FALL TO EVERYONE - SPain, then the US (Yes, their was a US - Phillipean war but it was forgotten because it costed too many US dead.), Japan, then US again.

Knight Templar
08-20-2005, 13:57
I think we all hate the Poles because even historically, they are a weak nation. Okay, I will give them a break for falling to both Nazies and USSR at the same time because they were tag teamed on two fronts but seriously, three guys cross the border and the Poles crap their pants and run.

Sorry, but I must disagree. You look only in 20th century. As far as I know, Poles formed their state in 10th century, since 18th century and 1st partition nobody had conquered them. The Turks were finally defeated at Vienna 1683. When it looked city is going to fall Polish king Jan III Sobieski came to help and , although outnumbered at least 2:1 (probably more), defeated Turkish army. :charge: :charge:

They were just unlucky to be surrounded with powerful neighbours, like at first HRE and later Prussia from the west, Russia from the east and Habsburg monarchy from the south, from 16 century with Sweden from the north.

Martok
08-20-2005, 18:51
Sorry, but I must disagree. You look only in 20th century. As far as I know, Poles formed their state in 10th century, since 18th century and 1st partition nobody had conquered them. [EDIT]

They were just unlucky to be surrounded with powerful neighbours, like at first HRE and later Prussia from the west, Russia from the east and Habsburg monarchy from the south, from 16 century with Sweden from the north.

I concur with what you're saying there, KT. The Poles got a raw deal getting stuck between Russia, Prussia/Germany, and Austria-Hungary; and so they've had a tough time of it the last 150-200 years. Before that, however, they actually did pretty well for themselves.

That said, the Poles are still one of my least favorite factions in MTW. Partly because of their thin unit roster, partly because I'm simply not as interested in Eastern Europe in general. So it's nothing personal, m52nickerson. :bow:

m52nickerson
08-21-2005, 03:14
No offence taken. I think I like the Polish because they don't have alot of units, and can't crusade. For me simple is better. There is less I have to worry about. I can just make a hand ful of different units and have plenty of renforcment to replenish my loses.

That and my Mother's family name is Mroczka!

Pillowfighter
08-21-2005, 07:11
Yea considering that Hitler hit Poland from 3 fronts(East Prussia, Germany, Slovakia) with 2600 tanks, 2000 aircraft and 1.8 million men and wanted to wipe out any Polish presence in a day. The Poles had 175 or so tanks, 400 planes and alot less military. Also the Germans used tactics not really ever used before in warfare...Blitzkrieg and bombing defenseless towns and refugees. French and British declared war a couple days later, but 2 weeks later when the Soviets invaded from the east the Poles still had no help. Warsaw didn't surrender for another 2 weeks after that, so over a month after Germany first attacked. The Germans lost 50,000 men, 697 planes and 993 tanks and armoured cars and Hitler was frustrated with having it take so long and diverting troups from other fronts.

Polish and slavic history during the time period of MTW is fairly impressive, and even more impressive shortly after the games time period...The Jagiellonian Dynasty (1386 - 1572).

VikingHorde
08-21-2005, 17:54
Yea considering that Hitler hit Poland from 3 fronts(East Prussia, Germany, Slovakia) with 2600 tanks, 2000 aircraft and 1.8 million men and wanted to wipe out any Polish presence in a day. The Poles had 175 or so tanks, 400 planes and alot less military. Also the Germans used tactics not really ever used before in warfare...Blitzkrieg and bombing defenseless towns and refugees. French and British declared war a couple days later, but 2 weeks later when the Soviets invaded from the east the Poles still had no help. Warsaw didn't surrender for another 2 weeks after that, so over a month after Germany first attacked. The Germans lost 50,000 men, 697 planes and 993 tanks and armoured cars and Hitler was frustrated with having it take so long and diverting troups from other fronts.

Polish and slavic history during the time period of MTW is fairly impressive, and even more impressive shortly after the games time period...The Jagiellonian Dynasty (1386 - 1572).
That is correct. They also later in the war did some of the hardest fighting (with the allies), often succeeding were the brits and americans failed. I admire the poles a lot for there role in WW2, always fighting harder than the most to free their country.

Pericles
08-21-2005, 23:21
Playing the Turks is a blast. Try this:

Play on hard or expert, early, and give all other factions 500,000 florins.

Heheh...

Now try to win...

You will be met by the byz and Golden Horde armies, not to mention multiple crusades...

The AI has spanked me more than once...

dgfred
08-22-2005, 03:40
No offence taken. I think I like the Polish because they don't have alot of units, and can't crusade. For me simple is better. There is less I have to worry about. I can just make a hand ful of different units and have plenty of renforcment to replenish my loses.

That and my Mother's family name is Mroczka!

That is why I have a thing with the HRE- My last name is Frederick and
every fifth dude has the name 'Friedrich' ~:cool: .

Simple makes Aragon and Danes fun too! ~D

Roark
08-22-2005, 04:52

I love the Poles, man. I start punching-on with the Russians and Danes as soon as possible, and get some boats in the water. Retainers are cool, and Steppe Heavies make a nice addition to any army.

m52nickerson
08-22-2005, 20:47
Yes, I'm starting to love Steppe Heavy Cav. They give you that little bit extra fire power and can still flank, and mop up routers very well.