PDA

View Full Version : What no Picts!

boris the pict
08-18-2005, 10:54
Is it correct that there will be no picts in RTW BI??? ~:eek:

please tell me it is one of the surprises!

Boris the pict

Reidy
08-18-2005, 11:41
i expect that the Celt faction will have some pictish units.

Taurus
08-18-2005, 12:23
Welcome to the .org :bow:

I think I heard somewhere that the Picts will be one of the unplayable factions. However if this is true that will mean that they will be playable with a little modding. ~:cheers:

Agraes
08-18-2005, 13:11
The Celts are a non-playable faction, they will regroup Irish and Picts with those units (from the unit list somewhere in the BI demo) :

Celtic_Crossbowmen
Celtic_Kerns
Celtic_Slingers
Hounds_of_Culann
Noble_Clansmen_Celt
Scotti_Chariots
Celtish_Wolfhounds
Celtic_Spearmen
Gallowglass
Celtic_Warlord

I guess that you will enjoy my mod Arthurian : Total War, Boris ~:)

boris the pict
08-18-2005, 14:27
Yup i'm looking forward to it a great deal, if i had of noticed it sooner i would have offered my services as pict advisor but that post had gone by the time i noticed :(

cheers for the list though, presumably the list will be playable in the same manner as for instance the other 'none-playable' barbarian faction in RTW.

boris the pict

The_Doctor
08-18-2005, 14:34
I have heard that the Picts invented the schiltron, is that true?

Agraes
08-18-2005, 14:57
@Boris : You can help us thought, just by discussing with us on the thread ~:)

@Martinus : schiltron is a word from scottish origin as far I know, don't know if it is really Pict or if it is Gaelic, thought we have a unit named like this, we don't know very much of the pictish language.

barocca
08-18-2005, 14:57
not certain which faction will get this unit in Relase, but it's in the demo as available to Franks (celtic spearmen)

http://totalwar.org//barocca/misc/BI/picts1.jpg

from the Unlock Units Mod - ULM_ (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=52590)

B.

boris the pict
08-18-2005, 15:58
I have heard that the Picts invented the schiltron, is that true?

the Aberlemno stone shows what might be the Battle of Dunnichen fought against the Angles of Northumbria in 685AD. on the stone there appears to be a battle formation with the central infantry block apearing in three ranks the front with sword and shield, the second rank with leveled spear in two hands with shield on a strap hung over the sholdier and the third rank with spear at the rest.

this peiced togeather with writings from the time suggests that the pictish infantry when formed for open battle would form what, if seen in middle aged scotland, would be described with out hesitation as a schiltron.

the word schiltron can mean anything from a warrior group (in gael) or in old english as a shiled troop of warriors.

as for who invented it, that i'm afaraid is one of those questions, the answear is lost in the mists of time.

Agraes
08-18-2005, 18:05
the Aberlemno stone shows what might be the Battle of Dunnichen fought against the Angles of Northumbria in 685AD.

In 'Pictish Warriors' from Osprey Books I have read that the battle shown on the stone may be a battle fight versus the Strathclyders, not the Northumbrians, and fight a bit later. I can find out some details if you want, thought it is a bit out of the discussion ~D

Craterus
08-21-2005, 15:30
Schiltron was based on Testudo formation. It was developed further (spears in all directions) by the Scots.

Kurando
08-23-2005, 05:38
In 'Pictish Warriors' from Osprey Books I have read that the battle shown on the stone may be a battle fight versus the Strathclyders, not the Northumbrians, and fight a bit later. I can find out some details if you want, thought it is a bit out of the discussion ~D

I a really big Bran Mak Morn fan + the Picts vs Roman stories are the best: Kings of the Night, etc.

Bran Mak Morn would make a great BI mod!

http://vyvoj.andor.cz/images/icons/personsicons/bran3009.jpg

pezhetairoi
08-23-2005, 07:44
I note that in the screenshot the schiltron is spelt schiltrom. Now why is that?