PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly New unit - Sassanid Sughdian Warrior

The Blind King of Bohemia
08-19-2005, 17:19
At the com, go and check it out.

Not sure about the accuracy but I must say this one looks very nice, probably the best one they've unveiled so far aesthetically.

The Stranger
08-19-2005, 17:30
nasty!!!

Taurus
08-19-2005, 17:33
This unit is the best so far imo. Looks very cool. ~:cheers:

Steppe Merc
08-19-2005, 18:36
Totally wrong. The best Sassanian infantry was the Dailamites, who even the Romans feared.

Shaun
08-19-2005, 18:38
it looks like a barbarian! looks like the saxon keel!

scorillo
08-19-2005, 19:56
yes...i hope the sassanids will have eastern looking units...otherwise it will be uncool

Viking
08-19-2005, 20:22
Heh. Finally a cool unit.

aleh
08-21-2005, 16:48
Question:

And I may be wrong because of my bad eyesight, but are the Sassanids wearins masks?

And also, whatever happened to the tower shield for the Commitenes?

TB666
08-21-2005, 16:57
And also, whatever happened to the tower shield for the Commitenes?
The tower shields are gone during this period.

As for the unit, it looks cool.
Their weapon looks like it can do some serious damage.

edyzmedieval
08-21-2005, 20:40
We'll see what it can do....

Steppe Merc
08-22-2005, 00:32
Aleh, I think just a spangenhelm with a naval, not the typical cavalry mask or the half mask that is often associated with the Sassanians.

King Mon
08-22-2005, 03:48
where can i check these other units out...the ones they did b4 this new one

edyzmedieval
08-22-2005, 09:41
I wonder how powerful will the Byzantine Cavalry be.

Especially in front of the Sassanians.

Captain Fishpants
08-22-2005, 11:02
Totally wrong. The best Sassanian infantry was the Dailamites, who even the Romans feared.

Hmm. Yes, the Romans feared (as much as the Romans feared anyone) these mountain-dwelling and bellicose tribes, but our research indicated that the Dailamites were only considered as a 'mountain people': a problem that needed careful watching during the Sassanid period.

Their (formal) use as troops only came about under later Persian dynasties, particularly after the arrival of Islam in the area. This is out of period for the expansion pack.

However, the Sassanids do get access to hillmen-style units in their army list.

edyzmedieval
08-22-2005, 19:27
Hmm. Yes, the Romans feared (as much as the Romans feared anyone) these mountain-dwelling and bellicose tribes, but our research indicated that the Dailamites were only considered as a 'mountain people': a problem that needed careful watching during the Sassanid period.

Their (formal) use as troops only came about under later Persian dynasties, particularly after the arrival of Islam in the area. This is out of period for the expansion pack.

However, the Sassanids do get access to hillmen-style units in their army list.

Here's a good answer.

It's good that CA replied to this issue.

Steppe Merc
08-22-2005, 19:37
Cap'n Fishy, what about the looks of these guys? Are you saying that the Sughdians would have been equipped in this matter? I doubt it.
Dalaimites might be a bit out of period, but they still existed, if under a different name. It would be far better than the Sughdians that were made.

Steppe Merc
08-23-2005, 00:21
Oh, Fishy I saw the Osprey book, Attila and the Nomad Hordes, in which CA based the Sughdian warrior off of. It was dated 8th century, which is even more off than the Dailamites.

Refnulf von Holland
08-23-2005, 06:15
Oh, Fishy I saw the Osprey book, Attila and the Nomad Hordes, in which CA based the Sughdian warrior off of. It was dated 8th century, which is even more off than the Dailamites.

Actually it says 6-8th century which would be 500-700’s right. But there are many sources out there that state they where used by the Sassanid before this time period. I am sure from what I read that they were used but the information is vary limted on how they were armed during this period. Of course most sources are vague during this period.

https://img364.imageshack.us/img364/410/easthuns11ox.jpg

edyzmedieval
08-23-2005, 07:09
Another historical problem for CA.

I wonder how are they gonna solve it.

Refnulf von Holland
08-23-2005, 08:07
Another historical problem for CA.
I wonder how are they gonna solve it.

Whats another historical problem?

If you mean the Sassanid Sughdian Warrior then why is it a problem they are fine for this period. :book:

TB666
08-23-2005, 09:02
Whats another historical problem?

I think he meant that the sources are bad in this period and how CA is gonna solve that.
Except the color, CA has really hit this unit spot on it seems.

Steppe Merc
08-23-2005, 16:38
If you look at the back of the book, by the name of the unit before the description it says 8th century. And Refnulf von Holland, my point was that the Dailamites would have been more accurate in addition to being more in time with the period. Where is the proof that the Sughdians fought as like this? Certaintly not at the begginging of the game. And if CA didn't include the Dailamites because they were a bit off time, then they certaintly shouldn't show the Sugdhdians like this.

If you mean the Sassanid Sughdian Warrior then why is it a problem they are fine for this period. :book:
No, they are not.

edyzmedieval, they ignore historical problems, not solve them. That is too difficult for them it seems.

lars573
08-23-2005, 17:35
Easier not difficult.

Zenicetus
08-23-2005, 19:42
Actually it says 6-8th century which would be 500-700’s right. But there are many sources out there that state they where used by the Sassanid before this time period. I am sure from what I read that they were used but the information is vary limted on how they were armed during this period. Of course most sources are vague during this period.

https://img364.imageshack.us/img364/410/easthuns11ox.jpg
I know this is a minor issue compared to whether or not the unit was actually in combat during this period.... but that illustration (in the link above) is a perfect example of what I've been griping about with the colors. The muted palette looks much more believable, compared to the high-saturation, cartoon colors in the CA warrior model. And in most other models in this game.

edyzmedieval
08-23-2005, 20:46
edyzmedieval, they ignore historical problems, not solve them. That is too difficult for them it seems.

At least they make the game moddable so we can purge the fantasy stuff and add historical stuff.

Dutch_guy
08-23-2005, 21:29
True, but lot's of features that modders wish to mod is hardcoded.

:balloon2:

Steppe Merc
08-23-2005, 21:35
Bingo Dutch guy! :bow:

edyzmedieval
08-23-2005, 22:07
Jackpot!!!!

Why do they have to hardcode, I don't know.

They already have thousands of piracy copies available for download on the net. Why do they bother?

_Mithrandir_
08-24-2005, 17:35
I can't find any information. Where is it?

The best I've got are:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=28726.topic
http://www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm (a 2004 greek unit)

_Mithrandir_
08-24-2005, 18:01
Got it. You can find it here:

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rtwbi.htm