PDA

View Full Version : Most succesfull crusade/attack

Mr White
08-21-2005, 09:54
Two days ago an amaizing crusade (for me that is). I was playing as the English and crusading to Egypt. The year was 1140 or something like that. My navy streched as far as Tunesia. My crusade had three units of order foot soldiers, 1 unit of fanatics, a prince, some mounted sergants, 3 units of FMAA, some feudal sergants with a 7 star general amongst them, 3 or 4 units of archers and a lot of clansmen.

As I landed with my crusade in Tunesia the elmos ran to the next province as they where somewhat depleted by the spanish. The next year I went after them and won the battle. The number of men on each side was about equal but I had probably better quality and a better ballance as the were archer heavy. I defeated them quite easily but the Sultan escaped with a small group to his keep.

As Egypt was my main objective I pushed on through and used two units of peasants that I send after the crusade to guard the elmos keep.

I thought Egypt was up for grabs as there was only 1 unit of ghulams and 1 unit of ghazis ( I think) present with a rebel province in Sinai. They fled to the castle only to sally out when reïnfocements came the next year with a shipthat wasn't there the year before.

I was up against an force with double my numbers ( 4300 or so against my 2200) existing of 5 or so princes, some sarecens, some nubean spears, a bunch of desert archers, camel warriors and some militia and peasants. As this was my first battle that I started against the odds ( out of intrest I autocalced and I lost) I was realy looking forward to it.

My lines of order foot held but all of my cav died or routed in the confusion that followed. All exept my prince. I used the well known pressure pot strategy to fend off the remaining Egyptian force allthough this ment that my reïnforcements where quite tired when they arrived. A Unit of clansmen ( YES you read it) killed the Egyptian sultan and this helped a lot to fend of the waves of camels and ghulams that still rolled on to the field. After time only urban militia, peasants and archer took to the field and I knew I had won. I had killled and captured over 1800 men and lost only 450. I now have tremendous respect for clansmen and FMAA ( one unit was charged head on by camels and they just lost 2 or 3 men and killed 10 to 20 of the camels).

This crusade was so successful because I not only killed the Egyptian sultan but all his princes with him so the whole Egyptian empire turned rebel and are up for grabs. The Elmos will die the next turn unless they sally out but I can counter that with the men from my succesfull crusade. And I deny the spanish more land in the south as I'm currently allied to them.

So does anybody else have a crussade or attack that went amaizingly well?

m52nickerson
08-21-2005, 22:46
I just brought the entire Byzantine empire down with a unit of Chivalric sergeants and a unit of Slav javelin men. The Byzantine emperor was traped on the island of Crete. I pined his Cav unit and flanked with the javelin. Work perfectly.

antisocialmunky
08-22-2005, 01:26
I was the English and was trying to beat the Germans to the holyland. They got there three turns ahead. However when the crusade landed on the Byzantine's turf, they attacked it... and retreated. Of course, they left Constantinople undefended as they have the knack for doing so I landed in it and conquered it free of charge. I sold off all the dev in Constantinople for 10k. That 10k lasted only 5 turns though.

PittBull260
08-22-2005, 02:05
I love crusades
I remember I had when when I was playin as the french. I made one in Brittany, and put about 1200 men in it, lots of Chiv. Men at arms, about 4 units of archers, and some heavy armoroured Feudal Knights (golden armor i think), with a 5 star general. I sent the crusade to Palestine (controlled by the Egyptians).

It took like 15 years for the crusade to finally reach Palestine with 1000-1400 men. I saw there was a lot of troops in Palestine controlled by their 4 star king. I attacked. oh the egyptyians had over 3000 men.

I had my usual position, Men at arms in front, archers behind, general behind archers, and cavalry to the side. I sent the infantry along with the general to slowly march forward to the enemy. I sent my feudal knights to the right to flank the egyptians (huge mistake, they were heavily armoured and i'm in a desert).

My infantry started fighting, doing an ok job, my slow knights finaly reached the rear of the enemy's army. they attacked, did a good job and the egyptians started fleeing, i thought all i had to do now is fight off some of the reinforsements, which would be easy.....man was i wrong.

the reinforcements come, about 7 units of Beduin Camel warriors, i thought "psh, easy target for my knights" so i sent my knights in....i didnt even focus on them anymore, i thought they'd make the camels run away emideatly, so I went to the infantry and archers.

the chiv men at arms are kicking ass, along with the archers. but i looked down at my units buttons, and i saw that i had like 20 knights left....the camels demolished them....they then attacked my archers making them flee...i had to pull back all my men at arms to kill the camels, which they did.

So i lost my archers and knights and my reinforcements came, yaay, the rest was pretty much just killing a lot of nubian spearmen, and milita seargants..

I liked that crusade, because it made me realize how good camels are in the desert lol, and it was a cool battle =)

dgfred
08-22-2005, 03:31
In my current HRE GA campaign I've had 3 Crusades- Palestine, Tripoli and
Antioch- all conquest ~D . It is now 1205 and I'm up in pts 121 to:
Byz-89, Egy-24, Ita-44, Spa-57, Tur-58 but am really at a loss on what to
try to do next ~:confused: . I can't decide whether to give them up now,
hold as long as possible, or what ~:confused: .

Advo-san
08-22-2005, 08:57
In my current HRE GA campaign I've had 3 Crusades- Palestine, Tripoli and
Antioch- all conquest ~D . It is now 1205 and I'm up in pts 121 to:
Byz-89, Egy-24, Ita-44, Spa-57, Tur-58 but am really at a loss on what to
try to do next ~:confused: . I can't decide whether to give them up now,
hold as long as possible, or what ~:confused: .
Do not leave tripoly or antioch. They are the richest provinces of the game, we are talking serious cash my friend... ~:cool:

Mr White
08-22-2005, 15:25
Do not leave tripoly or antioch. They are the richest provinces of the game, we are talking serious cash my friend... ~:cool:

Richer than Flanders?
I'm curently holding Flanders ( wich gives me 2950 florins a turn) but I have both Tripoly and Antioch in my grasp. I was waiting to take them as they are Turkish right now and I didn't want to lose some trade income as my treasury ( or something like that) isn't exactly bulging with cash. But if those provinces have such high revenues I will take my chances.

cutepuppy
08-22-2005, 17:24
Richer than Flanders?

much richers than flanders. The max income i ever got from Flanders was about 7500 fl, while I got 11k from antioch and 15k from tripoli.

dgfred
08-22-2005, 17:51
much richers than flanders. The max income i ever got from Flanders was about 7500 fl, while I got 11k from antioch and 15k from tripoli.

Dang ~:eek: , that is some serious cash-flow.

Martok
08-22-2005, 18:08
Dang ~:eek: , that is some serious cash-flow.

You'd better believe it! That's a big reason I like playing as the Egyptians. When I have those 2 provinces combined with Egypt itself, it's not unheard of for me to pull down over 30,000 florins a turn--and that's not including the income from the rest of my provinces. ~:cool:

dgfred
08-22-2005, 18:19
You'd better believe it! That's a big reason I like playing as the Egyptians. When I have those 2 provinces combined with Egypt itself, it's not unheard of for me to pull down over 30,000 florins a turn--and that's not including the income from the rest of my provinces. ~:cool:

I'm probably going to give them a try next after the conclusion of my HRE
GA campaign ~;) , or maybe sooner ~D .