PDA

View Full Version : overstenght unit? And gold eagle..

sjoa
08-23-2005, 02:01
Hi all...newbie and have a quick question...I just bribed a captain in another faction, and he has a couple units in his group that have 122 men (EL cohorts) and they have a gold eagle in the top right hand corner of their unit card...what dopes this mean and how did they get to that strength? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that in the manual.....

thx

AntiochusIII
08-23-2005, 02:13
Hi all...newbie and have a quick question...I just bribed a captain in another faction, and he has a couple units in his group that have 122 men (EL cohorts) and they have a gold eagle in the top right hand corner of their unit card...what dopes this mean and how did they get to that strength? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that in the manual.....

thxThese are the "1st cohorts." They are better than normal cohorts and the eagle banner raises nearby units' morale. You can recieve it (unmodded) only through senate rewards (and bribing from other Romans), and are very hard to get.

pdoan8
08-23-2005, 02:17
No dope. That unit is First Cohort. Unit size is larger (50%) and can only be recuited in Rome. They have the Golden Eagle on top of their flag and can inspire units around them to fight better (in crease morale).

sjoa
08-23-2005, 02:17
These are the "1st cohorts." They are better than normal cohorts and the eagle banner raises nearby units' morale. You can recieve it (unmodded) only through senate rewards, and are very hard to get.
thx

lucky me then...or lucky me to have found one who can be bought! How did they get to that strength though...were these units granted through the senate at that strength. or was just the gold eagle granted by the senate?

Damn Senate always prefers the Brutii over the Julii!!! I'll make them pay though! ~D

sjoa
08-23-2005, 02:19
Thanks ...our Posts Crossed

AntiochusIII
08-23-2005, 02:47
You can bribe them, of course. (As you did.) It's just that they're hard to find. The first cohorts includes both Early Legionary First Cohorts and Legionary First Cohorts. Naturally, the second one is a bit better.

Dutch_guy
08-23-2005, 12:09
Can't you build them after the reforms in Rome ( patch 1.2 ) ?
Or am I just confusing vanilla with RTR...

:balloon2:

TB666
08-23-2005, 12:27
You can bribe them, of course. (As you did.) It's just that they're hard to find. The first cohorts includes both Early Legionary First Cohorts and Legionary First Cohorts. Naturally, the second one is a bit better.
But with patch 1.2, bribing is a declaration of war(I think) so only bribe other romans if you can take the heat afterwards.

Sjakihata
08-23-2005, 13:02
wrong! bribing is not a DoW (Declaration of War)

TB666
08-23-2005, 13:30
wrong! bribing is not a DoW (Declaration of War)
Well only if you bribe other romans or didn't that work ??

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 18:47
no you can bribe wathever you want, failed assasination and i thought caught spies are a DoW

TB666
08-23-2005, 20:04
no you can bribe wathever you want, failed assasination and i thought caught spies are a DoW
Another thing the patch didn't do since it says in the readme that bribing is a transgression.

Celt Centurion
08-23-2005, 22:05
As Brutii, I bribed a Scipii army (after the civil war had started) and with it there was an understrength First Cohort. Unfortunately, it, and every other unit in that group I bribed were plague carriers.

I had already learned that plague carriers infect a city if you bring them in for retraining. On the other hand, you cannot get rid of the plague unless you bring them into a city. Then after the plague ends, they are o.k. again.

Don't bring plague carriers in unless you don't mind a plague coming in as well!

A question here.

Where can a First Cohort be retrained? Only Rome? Only a Capital City? Perhaps like the Spartan Hoplites, only in one or two cities on the whole map?

Hope to see an answer to that.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

womble
08-24-2005, 10:27
"Where can a First Cohort be retrained? "

Only Rome. The only First Cohort those ungrateful Senate weasels ever gave me was reduced to 5 men taking the gatehouse of that golden City. Now it's helping me secure the toe of the Boot.

Celt Centurion
08-24-2005, 21:30
"Where can a First Cohort be retrained? "

Only Rome. The only First Cohort those ungrateful Senate weasels ever gave me was reduced to 5 men taking the gatehouse of that golden City. Now it's helping me secure the toe of the Boot.

Then you retrained it after you took the Golden City?

Celt Centurion

The Stranger
08-25-2005, 09:11
i think he was playing pre-patch 1.2v in my game you could train it everywhere in italy, every army had one. but not more than one. that meant i had to be careful cuz if lost some in campaign in a foreign country i had to go back to italy to retrain them

womble
08-25-2005, 10:07
Yes, CC, I retrained it. And then set Rome to making a pot-load more, which are just about now reaching my front lines.

Stranger, I started pre 1.2 then upgraded half way through. I can only retrain 1st Cohorts in Italy, and you're a lucky hound to have the option available anywhere else :-)