PDA

View Full Version : What shape shields with rome legionairies have in EB?

manbaps
08-24-2005, 13:00
By this will they be having rectangular one or the more oval ones like in RTR 6.0. Or will there be a slow progression to the scutum style ones? I dont know whats historically accurate for the tie period but i like the rectangular ones they look more 'roman' my legions just dont feel the same in RTR. (im not trying to make this a comparison thread btw just using the shields in RTR as the other example).

Moros
08-24-2005, 13:05
By this will they be having rectangular one or the more oval ones like in RTR 6.0. Or will there be a slow progression to the scutum style ones? I dont know whats historically accurate for the tie period but i like the rectangular ones they look more 'roman' my legions just dont feel the same in RTR. (im not trying to make this a comparison thread btw just using the shields in RTR as the other example).
found two screenshots of them in the lost art of keepping a secret thread:

early legionari
http://img135.echo.cx/my.php?image=19ac1.jpg
late:
http://img139.echo.cx/my.php?image=17lw.jpg

hope this awnsers your post.
do remind these probably are WIP's

manbaps
08-24-2005, 13:09
So what sort of date did the romans start using scutums (is that the right name for rectangular shields) was it after the marian reforms or some time after? Things like the testudo rely on the shape and as equpiment was standardised in roman armies i wouldnt have thought it was gradual.

Seydlitz
08-24-2005, 15:25
The scutum was the Roman name given to all shields that covered most of the body, and had a slight curve to them. It was a design evolution from the flat, oval Celctic shields and was widespread in Italy in the period Rome was rising to power.

Historically, the legions from the early Republic to the early Empire were equipped with the oval Scutum, and it shall be so in EB as well. The square scutum falls mostly outside of the time period, and I can't say 100% if it will be included in the mod as of yet.

Those screenshots are relativley old, and a lot of progress has been made as well. I dare say the legions look really bad ass now ~:)

Just wait and you'll see!

okiN
08-24-2005, 15:34
AFAIK scutum is just the latin word for "shield", (It's just become associated with that certain type since it's by far the most famous Roman shield) and the earliest forms of the late Roman legionary (Wearing lorica segmentata and carrying a rectangular shield) evolved towards the end of the first century BC, many decades after the Marian reforms.

Edit: Argh, Seydlitz beat me to the punch.

Moros
08-24-2005, 15:43
look at herets is a mod byromeheus wh's saring roman units with eb for screens:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50355

manbaps
08-24-2005, 17:21
So im no big historian but does that not mean CA got it like over 100 years wrong introducing rectangular scutums with the marian reforms? Though having said that they look better than the oval type ones but i guess EB wants to be historically acurate and having them in with a finish date of AD16 seems unlikely.

Colovion
08-24-2005, 19:26
So im no big historian but does that not mean CA got it like over 100 years wrong introducing rectangular scutums with the marian reforms? Though having said that they look better than the oval type ones but i guess EB wants to be historically acurate and having them in with a finish date of AD16 seems unlikely.

CA isn't the bastion of historical accuracy - they merely give the facade of such.

kayapó
08-24-2005, 19:49

I don't think you have to be a big historian to notice some of the "fantasy history" features of vanilla. hrrr....egypt
On that same note they also had the armor of legionaries apear before they did actually. Not to mention Onagers...well this list could get long and I'm no expert.

k

jerby
08-24-2005, 19:52
ohh yeah.. i'm waiting for someone to say:"CA isnt that bad"..so i can post another of my 'heretic' pics ~;)

http://www.viljoen.za.org/stake.jpg
burn the heretic! see what i mean? ~:joker:

Moros
08-24-2005, 19:59
you'll be waiting verry long then or there are verry strange people out there :p
(rare jongens die protestanten :p, niet da'k katholiek ben)

jerby
08-24-2005, 20:03
you'll be waiting verry long then or there are verry strange people out there :p
(rare jongens die protestanten :p, niet da'k katholiek ben)
well. 3 days ago (or so) somebody posted he liked the demo....you never know.

Moros
08-24-2005, 20:05
I know I've read it, the poor guy ~:joker:

jerby
08-24-2005, 20:12
yeah. indeed...it was sad..almost to the abokasee-level...
well, dont egadurate..nothing comes that close.

Moros
08-24-2005, 20:48
yeah. indeed...it was sad..almost to the abokasee-level...
well, dont egadurate..nothing comes that close.
well have you ever seen that dutch guy who's alway at the eb forums, jer...hihi yeah your right nothing comes that close...hihi
(woops! :p. plaag,plaag, sorry maar dit kon ik gewoon niet laten liggen ~;) ).

~:cheers: :bow: ~:cheers:

jerby
08-24-2005, 20:58
well have you ever seen that dutch guy who's alway at the eb forums, jer...hihi yeah your right nothing comes that close...hihi
(woops! :p. plaag,plaag, sorry maar dit kon ik gewoon niet laten liggen ~;) ).

~:cheers: :bow: ~:cheers:
yeah..i know..
i just got EB in my favorites..i come home: check mail, check 2 more forums..and this one..
but, luckiliy enough. school starts tommorrow ( NO, I'm not 12!! ~;) )

Dux Corvanus
08-24-2005, 21:14

No, you're not. But, do you realize that at my age, I could actually have grown TWO jerbies from scratch? You kids make me feel old: I have a PC in a box that is older than you... (PC 8086 12MHz 512 kb RAM, 1x4'25 floppy disk, no HD, CGA 16 colors, B&W screen... 1987). ~;)

Moros
08-24-2005, 21:26
yeah..i know..
i just got EB in my favorites..i come home: check mail, check 2 more forums..and this one..
your not?! ~:eek: :dizzy2: ~;)
well EB is in my favourites to, so are you saying I behave like a twelve year old!? ~;)

nah! your a nice phal, you should come and drink a real beer over here.
~:cheers:

jerby
08-24-2005, 21:42
are you saying heineken isnt nice?

Finally!!!!
http://www.viljoen.za.org/stake.jpg
burn heretic, burn!!!
~:flip out:

~;)

Moros
08-24-2005, 22:23
dutch guy really are funny, I mean he's even shocked that Heiniken is bad or he's verry good actor...I mean Heineken! ~D

kayapó
08-24-2005, 23:37
your not?! ~:eek: :dizzy2: ~;)
well EB is in my favourites to, so are you saying I behave like a twelve year old!? ~;)

nah! your a nice phal, you should come and drink a real beer over here.

That I must agree with you...the beer in Belgium is top quality. I also like the chocolate...

:weirdthread:

k

aleh
08-25-2005, 02:31
One thing: Canadian Beer...'Nuff said.

Mr Jones
08-25-2005, 03:40
clearly my friends, you have not yet travelled to australia. everyone knows australians are the very gods of beer drinking. until you drink tooheys new, you can not truly call yourself a beer drinker.

Urnamma
08-25-2005, 03:44
Stella Artois man here... ~;)

PSYCHO V
08-25-2005, 04:20
clearly my friends, you have not yet travelled to australia. everyone knows australians are the very gods of beer drinking. until you drink tooheys new, you can not truly call yourself a beer drinker.

Here He..*ick*

pezhetairoi
08-25-2005, 04:46
Stella Artois for me too.

Zero1
08-25-2005, 09:08
Guiness!!!

I like me the stout

amritochates
08-25-2005, 09:15
Thunderbolt(a local made in India 16% proof Beer) Rocks- :charge:

Though I am partial to a well made Radler.(The Radler is a normal Munich Helles or a pilsner-style beer such as Zipfer mixed with 1/2 lemon-lime soda).

Moros
08-25-2005, 10:07
come on guy's don't be foolish evrybody knows Belgium is the country of beer then you've got Germany or Australia.

yes Artois is good but I prefer a good old Duvel. (typical belgium beer)
(all those threads over here are getting quite of topic)

kayapó
08-25-2005, 10:20
This thread is running for the "Most OT thread of the year"...

I'll contribute...

I like Leffe a lot, strong and very tasty, belgian beer is not for everyone.

Stella Artois is great, tasteful, a classic.

Guiness is also one of my favorites.

When it's hot I like something lighter like a japonese Sapporo.

But nowadays I'm especially found of Weiss beer. Erdinger being my current favorite. It's just awesome. If you never tried it, do it. It will change your life I promise. ~:cool:

k

khelvan
08-25-2005, 10:37
Yum, Leffe. You can't get it here in the US. It makes me sad.

My favorite beer is a seasonal from a little place in Belgium - Fantome Saison.

Belgium has the best beer in the world, no exceptions. The range of flavor alone is incredible. It is so sad...in the US we make beer that more or less tastes like chilled urine. :lipsrsealed:

Moros
08-25-2005, 11:48
Yum, Leffe. You can't get it here in the US. It makes me sad.

My favorite beer is a seasonal from a little place in Belgium - Fantome Saison.

Belgium has the best beer in the world, no exceptions. The range of flavor alone is incredible. It is so sad...in the US we make beer that more or less tastes like chilled urine. :lipsrsealed:
come to belgium and I'll give ya some real beer!

Leffe is good indeed but I never heard of Fantome Saison... if its really that good I'm going to try it if find it somewhere.

Yes life in belgium is good we've got the best: beer, choclate and fries!

no cheer up you Australians and other you all got good beer
(we just have the best~;) ~D)

okiN
08-25-2005, 12:55

Not only that, they got the time of the Marian reforms wrong by over a hundred years as well, so actually the rectangular shields appear almost 200 years too early. Gotta love CA.

jerby
08-25-2005, 13:56
argh..back on topic...

just 1 more: heineken is indeed crap~;) really, rarely drink it. i like the mexican beer tough.

Moros
08-25-2005, 13:57
Not only that, they got the time of the Marian reforms wrong by over a hundred years as well, so actually the rectangular shields appear almost 200 years too early. Gotta love CA.
Hey, don't get off-topic this threads about beer, silly you! ~;) ~D

you know another good beer is kasteelbier, you really got to taste that one, but I think you can only buy it in Belgium.

anyway, back on the real topic:
Why do you think there are so many threads about how ahistorical R:TW is.
But then again R:tw is not a bad game it just wasn't verry historical (and the aI could've been better, but lets not get off-topic again).
but you'll read more than enough threads about this.

anyway welcome to the .org!!! ~:cheers: :balloon2:

jerby: tequila, now that's booze!!!

Dux Corvanus
08-25-2005, 14:14

Bah, common-place stuff...

If you want to lose your soprano kid voice forever, now Orujo of Liébana (Cantabria, Spain): THAT is a booze. It makes hair grow in your chest: :charge:

http://www.bacusnet.com/almacen/index.html

Foot
08-25-2005, 14:45
Two words: Blue Chimay

Now thats a nice beer.

Makes me feel like sidling over to ASDA to pick up a couple.

Foot

Moros
08-25-2005, 16:15
Bah, common-place stuff...

If you want to lose your soprano kid voice forever, now Orujo of Liébana (Cantabria, Spain): THAT is a booze. It makes hair grow in your chest: :charge:

http://www.bacusnet.com/almacen/index.html
never drunk it but it sounds good ~:)
(to bad I can't understand Spanish ~;))

:balloon3:

kayapó
08-25-2005, 18:08

He was probably talking Sol or Corona, very nice soft beer, very good for a sunny day especially if you're in acapulco.

:sunny:

k

ps
Hey, don't get off-topic this threads about beer, silly you!

As it shows very clearly in the title... ~:cheers:

Moros
08-25-2005, 18:55
As it shows very clearly in the title... ~:cheers:
that was a joke mate...
nah

(I really am in a singing mood today first all those anit-war songs and now this:)

Potverd ekke! It´s great to be a Belgian!
I´m not English, I´m not French and I´m not Dutch,
I´m not Spanish, Portuguese or German,
I´m a Belgian so thank you very much!

As I walk along the street, with my mayonnaise and frites,
You can tell I´m as happy as can be.
With my Duvel in my hand then you must understand,
I´m a Belgian so nothing worries me!

Potverdekke! It´s great to be a Belgian!
I´m not Irish, Italian or Danish

Without the Belgians there would be no saxophone,
No Tintin, Captain Haddock or Poirot.
And you´ll excuse me if I´ve missed anybody off the list,
These are the only Belgians that I know!

I´m not Finnish, Austrian or Swedish

Now the English egg and bacon´s not so bad,
Especially since all the cows went mad.
But if they´ve never tasted mussels, on the Grand Place down in Brussels,
It´s no wonder that they´re feeling very sad!

I´m not Spanish, Portuguese or German,

I´m a Belgian, I´m not Irish, I´m not Greek,
I don´t drink Guiness or Retsina, I drink Kriek!
On the Schelde or the Meuse, you find me drinking Geuze.
Or Leffe, or Chimay, or Lambic!

I´m not a Luxemburger
I´m a Belgian so thank you very much

GoreBag
08-25-2005, 18:56
Yes life in belgium is good we've got the best: beer, choclate and fries!

What, no gravy?

Moros
08-25-2005, 19:00
What, no gravy?
if I only knew what it was :dizzy: :embarassed:

kayapó
08-25-2005, 19:05
that was a joke mate...
nah

I know.
k

Moros
08-25-2005, 19:07
I know.
k
maybe we can ask a mod to change title? ~:)

~:cheers: :barrel: ~:cheers:

GoreBag
08-25-2005, 19:07
if I only knew what it was :dizzy: :embarassed:

~:eek:

kayapó
08-25-2005, 19:08
maybe we can ask a mod to change title? ~:)

~:cheers: :barrel: ~:cheers:

But than this thread would have to be removed from the contest of "Going OT thread".
:weirdthread:

k

Moros
08-25-2005, 19:12
it wouldn't win from the original bartix thread would it (yes I know it's old)

this isn't even a wierd thread the subject just moved from shields to beer, a much more fun subject if you ask me ~:)

Moros
08-25-2005, 19:58
~:eek:
well solly my English just isn't velly good (~;))
I probably know the dutch word for it if your that shocked.

owkay I used babelfish: gravy= jus (?)

Simetrical
08-25-2005, 20:03
I don't drink beer. Alcohol doesn't do it for me. (And you can't hang, draw, and quarter me, otherwise EB will be delayed more. So hah!)

GoreBag
08-25-2005, 20:12
well solly my English just isn't velly good (~;))
I probably know the dutch word for it if your that shocked.

owkay I used babelfish: gravy= jus (?)

Juice? Not quite... it's something like German Soße.

Here, gravy as seen in a poutine. http://thesportinglife.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/poutine.jpg

And a Wiki. Gravy - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy)

I don't drink beer. Alcohol doesn't do it for me. (And you can't hang, draw, and quarter me, otherwise EB will be delayed more. So hah!)

Then you have until EB's release. Come on, Manneschevitz is pretty tasty.

Moros
08-25-2005, 20:20
what does that have to do with Belgium chocolates, beer and frites?

GoreBag
08-25-2005, 21:16
Belgium can't be that great if there's no gravy.

Dutch_guy
08-25-2005, 21:55
dutch guy really are funny, I mean he's even shocked that Heiniken is bad or he's verry good actor...I mean Heineken!

I'm curious , GG are you talking about me in that quote ^^^

argh..back on topic...

just 1 more: heineken is indeed crap really, rarely drink it. i like the mexican beer tough.

gah , Heineken isn't really bad , I've had far worse than that ~;)

And GG, gravy = jus

:balloon2:

Moros
08-25-2005, 22:03
to DG: ja dat had ik nu ook wel door, vind er zelf niks speciaals mee, nee is globaal op alle nederlanders.

to all ~;):
I don't know what so special about gravy...

manbaps
08-25-2005, 22:19
Well then belgium must be quite a disapointment if you dont know the importance of gravy ~D

Moros
08-25-2005, 22:27
Well then belgium must be quite a disapointment if you dont know the importance of gravy ~D
we eat frite with Mayonaise and a hamburger/ hamburger sausage/"stoof vlees" (meat with a sauce based on, yes, beer!)/...
we also eat gravy, but come on! you really have bad food if gravy is one of the best thing of your "cuisine"!

manbaps
08-25-2005, 22:43
~:eek: until you have a proper roast or bangers and mash just just wont understand ~D

Zero1
08-26-2005, 00:00
You don't understand the wonders of gravy until you've had a good ol southerner farmboy breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and mmmmmmnGRAVY

GoreBag
08-26-2005, 03:32
Poutine. That's all there is to it.

kayapó
08-26-2005, 05:06
You don't understand the wonders of gravy until you've had a good ol southerner farmboy breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and mmmmmmnGRAVY

I did...
I lived in Oklahoma for a year...

I won't say anything about gravy thou...
k

Mr Jones
08-26-2005, 07:26
once again we are getting off topic with all this gravy nonsense..... back to the beer! if possible you guys need to get some australian beer. tooheys new, tooheys extra dry, crown lager, all are good. but of course beer is no comparison to........... GOON! i dunno if u's use that term in other countries but here in australia we call cheap casks of wine "goon". nuthin better on a friday or saturday night than a 4 litre sack of fruity lexia. now THAT is taste.

Moros
08-26-2005, 12:09
yes wine's is nice too, I like white wine a lot.
But it's about BEER!!!

never heard about tooheys but I'll try it if I can, don't know if they sell it over here.

Someone ever drunk Asian beer? I haven't but I wonder what it's like.

Mr Jones
08-26-2005, 14:01
i havn't but i hear it's quite good. bintang and asaki are the best from wat i hav heard (i think bintang is a beer, but i could be wrong. it's indonesian)

Moros
08-28-2005, 14:15
then I'll have to try it out, the only Asian stuff I've drunk was Sake didn't really like it though.

someone else has drunk Asian beer?

kayapó
08-28-2005, 14:21
then I'll have to try it out, the only Asian stuff I've drunk was Sake didn't really like it though.

someone else has drunk Asian beer?

Yes, japanese Sapporo. It's a very fine beer. Not strong like Belgium beer.
It is lighter much like mexican (and brazilian for that matter) beer.
It is very good. But unfortunatly very expensive (at least here, I bet in Japan it isn't).

Since the subject is beer, you may find this interesting:
www.voresoel.dk
A danish guy named Rasmus Nielsen has created the first open source beer.
The name is Vores Oel... ~:cheers:

k

khelvan
08-28-2005, 20:08
I've had three types of Japanese beer, two Chinese, and a Thai beer - they're mostly bland, to be honest. In some Asian beers you can taste fromaldehyde (sp?), which they use as a preservative.

It is not my cup of tea. ~;)

Moros
08-29-2005, 13:11
well in that case I'll stick to Belgium beer and I'll try that Thohey stuff out.

To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!