PDA

View Full Version : MTW bugs

Tatsuo
08-27-2005, 18:02
So heres my problem. I had to reformat my system a few days ago and MTW is not behaving. What I'm experiencing is total slowdown on the battle screen. Slow, jerky movements and an inaccurate "floating" mouse cursor. I've set all perf. options to minimum and no change. My system is an AMD Duron, 850 mhz, nVidia TNT2 64mb video, Sound Blaster audio, Win 98 is the OP system. The game worked fine before and all is back as it should be except that I can't get my MTW fix. AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! :dizzy2: :help:

Joshwa
08-27-2005, 18:06
hm, im no expert, but that sounds like you have either an old version of DirectX or an old graphics driver. Make sure you're running on DX9 and make sure you've got the latest MTW compatible driver for your card

Tatsuo
08-27-2005, 18:12
Been there. Direct x is updated and I've found the newer nVidia drivers to turn the entire game into a choppy mess, intro and all. Maybe a new system is in the cards as this one is 4 years old. Hmmm..wonder if I can sell my wifes cat :evil:

ToranagaSama
08-27-2005, 21:12
You may have bought that system 4 years ago, but the technology in it is a bit older than 4 years.

I would suggest, first, ensure that you've updated ALL your drivers. After a reformat, this can be a tedious job. Of course, there's the GPU and sound card, but there's also the chipset drivers. the motherboard BIOS, along with EVERY piece of hardware in your system.

You need to have them all up to date and working perfectly for a system that old.

What size is your Swap File? You should create a separate partition to hold your swamp file, and if you have a second HD then put it on that. For example, you OS and Swap file in separate partions on drive 1, and game and programs on drive 2.

JFYI, that TNT2 64mb video is NOT a DX9 card, so it really doesn't matter much.

Once you get things working back to normal. Try upgrading to Windows 2000, the performance difference between it and Win98 is significant and you can find 2000 really cheap. Crap, you probably could find someone to just *give* it to you free.

OH! Have you defragmented your HD?

BTW, sell the cat, its worth more than your system. ;)

Gosh, dude, Duron? That's an absolutely horrible crippled CPU. If a whole new system isn't in the wallet, then, do the homework, read the manual, etc. What CPUs can your motherboard handle? The non-Duron kind?? You could probably pick one up for US$25 or FREE! Take a walk around the neighborhood on *bulk* garabage day. This is when people throw out their old and/or seemingly broken PCs. People are usually clueless, the systems are often good, they just can't get them to work properly.

I've got an old AMD Am5 x86 - P75 (AMD - X5 - 133 ADZ) found on the street. The pins are slightly bent, just need to be straightened. You want it?