PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Total War: The Middle Ages

RtG_WTW
08-29-2005, 08:37
Guys, have a look at my new mod based on MTW...

Total War: The Middle Ages Website (http://www.middleages-totalwar.com/)

ShadesWolf
08-29-2005, 09:05
Very impressed it looks excellent.

This is the type of mod I was looking to create based on the middle ages but specifically the hundred years war.

We fell down due to the lack of a skinner/ modeller.

Good luck, I wish you well.

Ignoble
08-29-2005, 09:16
Impressive, and the fact that your doing it alone ~:cheers: Well gl I'll be lookin forward to seeing new units and screenshots :dizzy2:

Ciaran
08-29-2005, 12:17
Wow, what I could see looks very good. I´m dead impressed you did that all by yourself, from toying around - very basically - I think I get a very small hint of the idea of just how much work that is. I can´t express my respect for this work often enough.

edyzmedieval
08-29-2005, 12:30
Sorry to be the black sheep but,

What's the use of another middle aged mod?! We already have CTW, and we are very pleased with it.

King Ragnar
08-29-2005, 14:22
Looks great man, Edyzmedieval its good to have another mod out from the looks of it his will be differnt from CTW, and its good to have a little competition.

Geoffrey S
08-29-2005, 15:33
Impressive, particularly if you're doing it alone. However, may I suggest that you don't include peasants in the unit lineup and start at militia or spearmen?

RtG_WTW
08-29-2005, 16:03
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Geoff - what's your reasoning behind not including peasants?

wlesmana
08-29-2005, 16:59
What's the use of another middle aged mod?! We already have CTW, and we are very pleased with it.

Why not? He's doing it alone and I bet he's having tons of fun making it. He's not a random teen starting a mod and begging people to help him do everything. Sure, he got Chivalry TW and Citadel TW as "competitions" but as long as he's having fun working on it, that's all there is to it. Not all mods are made to get into some sort of ambiguous virtual popularity contest. Some of us make mods because we like doing it.

Good job, RtG_WTW.

tomat
08-29-2005, 17:58
I agree! I am modeling and skinning models for BFME for fun! I like it very much! I don't hurt anyone with it!
Nice job! I would love to help(If you do need it) but I don't have the game ~:mecry: . a Coupe of files are Ruined on CD one! ~:mecry: ~:mecry:

Helgi
08-29-2005, 18:06
Very impressed it looks excellent.

Loved the website and can't wait to play ~:)

[QUOTE=edyzmedieval] What's the use of another middle aged mod?! We already have CTW, and we are very pleased with it. ~:handball:

Well, you know what, you can never have too much of a good thing and since Chivarly is still only MP and not SP, I got to get my Medieval fix from BKB's Super Mod (the Greatest of the Medieval TW Mods)

RtG_WTW
08-29-2005, 18:12

Why not? He's doing it alone and I bet he's having tons of fun making it. He's not a random teen starting a mod and begging people to help him do everything. Sure, he got Chivalry TW and Citadel TW as "competitions" but as long as he's having fun working on it, that's all there is to it. Not all mods are made to get into some sort of ambiguous virtual popularity contest. Some of us make mods because we like doing it.

Spot on.

The website has been updated with a unit card pic.

lancelot
08-30-2005, 15:17
This looks really good. Give me a single player campaign game and youll have a fan for life!

I also posted in the other medieval mod thread that the MTW varangian guards (especially on their parchment picture) were uber-cool. Can we see some of those bad-asses?

Geoffrey S
08-30-2005, 16:22
Geoff - what's your reasoning behind not including peasants?
I've quite frequently come up against armies filled with peasants making for tedious battles, and have rarely found a use for them myself other than for garrison duty. It also seems that if poor people went to battle in those days it was almost always as some kind of spear armed unit; they would certainly not be sent into battle with pitchforks and the like. Perhaps they could be added for the rebel faction.

So all in all, it's due to their lack of use in a battle line and to force the AI to train more useful units such as low-level spearmen.

professorspatula
08-30-2005, 17:22
Fantastic stuff. Very impressive, and the best of luck with the mod. If only the AI could be like MTWs too, maybe with the next patch/expansion CA will improve things on that front.

And regarding peasants, I agree that leaving them for rebels is best. The AI loves to build peasants and militia and it's a waste of their population and resources. Militia should perhaps be a little closer to proper infantry/spearmen quality so if the AI does build them, it isn't a total waste.

Ciaran
08-31-2005, 11:22
I hope you´ll be making High era units as well, I´d really like to see those Men at Arms, or knights in full plate armour (like the Lancers - their info pic in MTW just looks awesome).

RtG_WTW
08-31-2005, 20:14
Yes I'll do High and Late Era as well.

SomeNick
09-01-2005, 03:53
This is an excellent idea. A straight MTW modification to RTW. Something I've been waiting for for some time. Especially if there is SP campaign.

Thanks for your efforts friend and good luck!

Nice website too : )

RtG_WTW
09-01-2005, 22:39
A forum has now been added to the site.

SomeNick
09-02-2005, 07:40
Sorry Rtg wtw for posting so soon again, but I just want to point out that I didn't have an opportunity to look at the screens under media at your website yesterday and they look awesome. Very detailed graphics of the unit models. And from the unit cards at the bottom it seems you have developed many units already. You have obviously put in a lot of effort into this. It looks amazing!

So, instead of 'nice' I rate your website 'seriously cool' lol.

Excellent work. ~:cheers:

Wont post again for a bit, promise, just wanted to point the above out. As I don't think my last post was as enthusiastic as it should have been. lol.

Keep up the great work!

Helgi
09-02-2005, 17:51
This looks really good. Give me a single player campaign game and youll have a fan for life!

I also posted in the other medieval mod thread that the MTW varangian guards (especially on their parchment picture) were uber-cool. Can we see some of those bad-asses?

Have to agree with Lancelot, a single player campaign game would please alot of people and that since Chivary is still Multi-player until sometime in the near future. Will your game have Norse/Dane Huscarls?:knight:

http://www.rometotalrealism.com/webmedia/sarmatians.jpg

RtG_WTW
09-02-2005, 22:24
New screenshots have been added to the website

King of Atlantis
09-02-2005, 22:28
Very nice, not sure if i should install this or Chivalry...

King of Atlantis
09-04-2005, 00:17
BTW. please takee up a team, so you can finish this quicker..

lancelot
09-04-2005, 20:20
Keep goin, I cant wait for this.

Only 2 things... First, in some of the shots the shields look a bit too... Bright..if you know what I mean. Not that they dont look good but in particular on the french knights the contrast seems a bit to high. Other than that,superb work :bow:

2nd, Where are those varangians?!? ~:)

Alexanderofmacedon
09-04-2005, 20:26
Very nicely done, my man! ~:)

The Blind King of Bohemia
09-04-2005, 21:00
Love the units mate, they look great ~:cheers:

snevets
09-05-2005, 00:18
The units are very impressive, and I really like the unit cards. I think the spanish units need better edges on their shields, maybe a steel rim type or just a black line, just so that it doesn't just end.

Ciaran
09-05-2005, 10:13
Wow, this gets more impressive by the day. I like your graphic style on the unit cards, they really look great. Your ingame units too, for that matter, especially the Royal Knights, now that is what knights have to look like. I can´t wait for the high and late units era, with the chivalric knights and Lancers. By the way, do your knights have swords as secondary weapons? That would be a nice touch. I know the AI doesn´t use them (why is it called artificial intelligence, when artificial stupidity would be so much more fitting :rolleyes: ?) , but I love seeing my own knight discarding their cumbersome lances and hacking it out with their swords.

RtG_WTW
09-05-2005, 18:35
Thanks for the comments guys.

Lancelot - re the shields I've tweaked them quite a lot and the french early royal knights shields have been changed but I think the screenshots may have been from an early morning battle where with a low sun the shields can look brighter than normal.

Snevets - yeah I haven't really decided 100% on the shields yet as all of my models have true 3d shields (cleverly done to use RTW smoothing so they don't have points) they look good without any edging in game.

Ciaran - The royal knights have a secondary sword (they use it in some of the screenshots) but as you say the AI will only switch to them if the unit is attacked rather than attacks. I've got my fingers crossed that this will change in BI though it doesn't appear to have in the demo.

lancelot
09-06-2005, 10:56
One other thing..Will the Horde make an appearance? If yes will, you be adding in units from Shogun total war like the thunder bombers and korean guardsmen?

I know they might not be applicable technically, but in the case of thunder bombers, they were pretty cool!

Ciaran
09-06-2005, 11:31
Thanks for the comments guys.
Ciaran - The royal knights have a secondary sword (they use it in some of the screenshots) but as you say the AI will only switch to them if the unit is attacked rather than attacks. I've got my fingers crossed that this will change in BI though it doesn't appear to have in the demo.

Actually, I can´t recall ever seeing an AI cavalry unit using its secondary weapon, neither when they attack nor when I attack them. The only way I know of is using ALT+rightclick, so the unit charges with it´s primary weapon and then hacks it out with the secondary.

RtG_WTW
09-06-2005, 19:16
If a cav unit is in combat with one unit and is attacked by another then it will use it's secondary weapon to attack the new unit (as long as there's no human intervention).

Lancelot - my initial plan is to keep to the MTW units.

Crusader4thepeople
09-06-2005, 21:50
WOw a straight conversion from MTW to RTW, no fancy new units and renewed names, something were i know what it is made of. Will the faction Symbols and colours be the same as in MTW ( please say yes)

Ignoramus
09-06-2005, 22:02
Looks good, but I think this won't work. Because especially with building trees. You can only have building required for a unit. Also, Medieval is better with MTW format, because the AI is very poor in RTW.