PDA

View Full Version : conquering without attacking??

kilman74
09-01-2005, 10:51
there's something I still cannot figure out. Sometimes I seem to conquer new countries without even attacking. This especially happens with Eastern countries (i.e.: Lithuania) or Scandinavian.
How is that possible? Without even considering certain countries all of a sudden they belong to me, with units I never trained. Can u help me understand this??

Dutch_guy
09-01-2005, 10:58
Maybe a rebellion started in that province , which- the rebellion - was loyal to you.

EDIT : welcome to the .org ~:cheers:

:balloon2:

kilman74
09-01-2005, 11:12
thank you for the welcoming message! ~:cheers:

no, in those situations they were countries I never owned before... they formerly belonged to the Prince of Novgorod or to the Mongols...

:help:

bretwalda
09-01-2005, 11:23
thank you for the welcoming message! ~:cheers:

no, in those situations they were countries I never owned before... they formerly belonged to the Prince of Novgorod or to the Mongols...

:help:

Welcome!

I suppose you'd know if you bribed the rebels there...?
Or you married a princess of their (in that case only Novgorod is possible) their line died out and you inherited the lands?

Lucky you, I envy you... I never had this happen! I had to fight for my land with blood and iron (well actually mosly wooden bows but thats not the point :wink: )

Maybe I should be more peaceful and do as the Habsburgs (probably a bad translation but anyway) "Let others war, Thou happy Austria marry".

yesdachi
09-01-2005, 13:59
I have had similar happen on a few occasions. One was due to an allied king dying w/o heirs and his land being divided up among allies, it was kind of weird because it was nowhere near my land. And the other was having 2 boarder territories go from almo to rebel to mine although I never owned them either but I did have a great king. ~:)

bretwalda
09-01-2005, 14:40
(...) And the other was having 2 boarder territories go from almo to rebel to mine although I never owned them either but I did have a great king. ~:)

Sounds like a civ3 culture flip :wink:
Why no province ever flips to me? ~:mecry:

By the way, what level do you play on?

Martok
09-02-2005, 05:34
I have had similar happen on a few occasions. One was due to an allied king dying w/o heirs and his land being divided up among allies, it was kind of weird because it was nowhere near my land. And the other was having 2 boarder territories go from almo to rebel to mine although I never owned them either but I did have a great king. ~:)

The same thing happened to me just last week: I was playing as the Spanish, allied with the English, and we were both at war with France. The English king and his only prince were killed in an ill-advised invasion of Flanders, and suddenly I inherited Mercia, Wessex, and Ireland (Wales and Scotland went rebel). It was pretty sweet. ~:)

Graphic
09-02-2005, 06:21
I never thought about it until now but you could theoretically marry into a faction with no heirs then assassinate the king and inherit the land.

kilman74
09-02-2005, 07:23
I never thought about it until now but you could theoretically marry into a faction with no heirs then assassinate the king and inherit the land.

Guys, thanks for all the replies!

how can you check if the other kings have no heirs?

anyway, no, I wasnt allied with anybody!! I'm Byzantine, and currently the most powerful army on the board. So now apparently EVERY single faction is against me!! Again, is it something I'm doing wrong or does that happen normally?? ~:confused: :dizzy2: ~:) ~:)

p.s. I play normal level

Graphic
09-02-2005, 07:28

Make Emmisaries, Spies, Assassins, etc., place them in their provinces and look through their stacks.

Martok
09-02-2005, 09:07

My roommate actually employs this strategy quite frequently. ~D

Martok
09-02-2005, 09:09
anyway, no, I wasnt allied with anybody!! I'm Byzantine, and currently the most powerful army on the board. So now apparently EVERY single faction is against me!! Again, is it something I'm doing wrong or does that happen normally?? ~:confused: :dizzy2: ~:) ~:)

p.s. I play normal level

Yes, it's a normal phenomenon. Once you reach a certain size in Medieval, everyone else will turn on you. So no, you're not doing anything wrong. ~:)

bretwalda
09-02-2005, 11:34

(...)

Easy: Drag one of your assassins over the desired king. If the message where you can choose yes/no says that a heir will take over then there is at least one heir; if it says there is no heir: that's your lucky day... :wink:

yesdachi
09-02-2005, 14:01
Easy: Drag one of your assassins over the desired king. If the message where you can choose yes/no says that a heir will take over then there is at least one heir; if it says there is no heir: that's your lucky day... :wink:
What a great way to check if there are heirs! ~:)

As for your Q about what level I play, always expert, unless I am trying something new.
(The way I figure it, I have ruled thru hundreds of kings if I am not at expert level yet then I shouldn’t be playing. Some days I shouldn’t be playing ~;) .)

Graphic
09-02-2005, 20:47
I have another idea about the thread starter's issue.

Do blood links between empires last even when the alliance is broken? Not neccissarily to war, but neutral? Perhaps some people he married into in the past cancelled alliances over something but the link remained.

ToranagaSama
09-03-2005, 01:08

p.s. I play normal level

Yes, its normal, but is very much tied to your style of play.

JFYI, this is a trigger that CA put into the game to slow down the Warmongers. A player with fairly good battle skills (or, is good at exploiting the game) can consquer the board fairly quicking with an overly agressive approach. Without developing an Economy and fully utilizing all the features of the game.

So, the more aggressive/warmongering approach you take, the quicker and more severely you'll suffer the "they all turned against me" syndrome.

A slower, less agressive approach lessens this effect. CA wants you to play the game the way it was intended.

Back in the day, there was much discussion and claims as to how quickly the game could be beat. One jerk popped up claiming he could beat the game in 50 Turns!! I made it my duty to expose his lies, proving it was impossible.

Martok
09-03-2005, 02:01
Back in the day, there was much discussion and claims as to how quickly the game could be beat. One jerk popped up claiming he could beat the game in 50 Turns!! I made it my duty to expose his lies, proving it was impossible.

50 turns??! ~:eek: Hell, it takes me at least 150 years to conquer the map--and that's only if I go at a breakneck pace, which I'm not comfortable doing. (I usually turtle in most strategy games.) I'm glad you shredded his story. :bow:

dgfred
09-03-2005, 02:57
What a great way to check if there are heirs! ~:)

As for your Q about what level I play, always expert, unless I am trying something new.
(The way I figure it, I have ruled thru hundreds of kings if I am not at expert level yet then I shouldn’t be playing. Some days I shouldn’t be playing ~;) .)

Yes it is a nice check! :smart:

I also play expert, and I am also continually suprised by the game :jawdrop:

and pissed off :furious3: , not really.... just :embarassed: .

Martok
09-03-2005, 07:21
I also play expert, and I am also continually suprised by the game :jawdrop:

and pissed off :furious3: , not really.... just :embarassed: .

I take it the AI has kicked your butt a few times? ~;)

dgfred
09-04-2005, 06:14
I take it the AI has kicked your butt a few times? ~;)

The really big surprises: massive early civil/rebel wars, a couple of viking
units slaughtering an army three times its size, GA points not working for
Crusades, stuff like that= I started over :embarassed: . And many games
I have auto-loaded after a major boo-boo or Crusade pt testing ~;) .

Martok
09-04-2005, 07:37
The really big surprises: massive early civil/rebel wars, a couple of viking
units slaughtering an army three times its size, GA points not working for
Crusades, stuff like that= I started over :embarassed: . And many games
I have auto-loaded after a major boo-boo or Crusade pt testing ~;) .

Out of curioisity, what faction are/were you playing as? (I'm guessing the Germans, since they can crusade and are one of the factions most likely to run into Vikings early on.)

dgfred
09-05-2005, 04:14
Out of curioisity, what faction are/were you playing as? (I'm guessing the Germans, since they can crusade and are one of the factions most likely to run into Vikings early on.)

You know it ~;) , My current HRE game I have one smallish army made up of
all 'Friedrichs' units ~:cool:

Roark
09-05-2005, 05:24
Yeah, the Germans also win the prize for "Most Likely to Incur Civil War"....

Martok
09-05-2005, 09:02
You know it ~;) , My current HRE game I have one smallish army made up of
all 'Friedrichs' units ~:cool:

You know, if you keep doing that, I think your emperor should at least get the Nepotism trait. ~D

Yeah, the Germans also win the prize for "Most Likely to Incur Civil War"....

.....followed close behind by the French. Incidentally, I would also rank these two factions as #1 and #2 on the list "Most Likely to be Excommunicated". Personally, I don't think that's a coincidence. ~;)