PDA

View Full Version : Rome Total War changed my life

scorillo
09-04-2005, 20:44
Call it crazy if you want...but,I just finished high-school and because i just love Rome Total War i decided to go to History College ~:) ...i think RTW is a mass phenomenon

Alexanderofmacedon
09-04-2005, 21:09
That's so cool, man! I'm soooo happy for you! ~D

It may change mine as well. I've started to get into modding and I could make games! That would be pretty cool too!

scorillo
09-04-2005, 21:10
~:cheers:

Alexanderofmacedon
09-04-2005, 21:16
Hey, I'll add you to my friends list...

scorillo
09-04-2005, 21:33
Thanks!, i've added you too ~:cheers:

scorillo
09-04-2005, 21:49
and one other thing....all these R:TW fans i think they like the game (including me) because there is an Hannibal ,an Alexander the Great ,an Julius Caesar or an Spartacus inside us all....that's why we like battles history games,we want to be like them in a way or another ~:)
Personaly i like to think that I was in a prevoius life a soldier in Alexander's the Great army LoL ~D

ROMA VICTOR !!!

King Mon
09-04-2005, 22:19
and one other thing....all these R:TW fans i think they like the game (including me) because there is an Hannibal ,an Alexander the Great ,an Julius Caesar or an Spartacus inside us all....that's why we like battles history games,we want to be like them in a way or another ~:)
Personaly i like to think that I was in a prevoius life a soldier in Alexander's the Great army LoL ~D

ROMA VICTOR !!!

WHOO RIGHT ON BROTHER :charge:

br0kenrabbit
09-04-2005, 22:23
I'm the opposite: I enjoy RTW because I'm a history freak, especially pre-imperialist Rome and even the earilier civilizations.

Is anyone watching ROME on HBO? Second part comes on tonight.

Also, if you're interested, there's an old movie that I can't remember the name of based on Nero. It is a VERY long but VERY well done movie. The actor who played Nero did such a fantastic and conviencing job, but after the filming ended he couldn't shake the character. He died believing he WAS Nero!

AntiochusIII
09-04-2005, 22:28
Is anyone watching ROME on HBO? Second part comes on tonight.How can I miss? HBO's "original series" are excellent, and for me one of the few redeeming parts, of Hollywood. Rome is not an exception. ~:)

scorillo
09-04-2005, 22:35
Nero was the emperor of Rome in 54 - 68 A.D period....during his reign the people of Rome lived in terror,because of his laws he made...he was more like an dictator

br0kenrabbit
09-04-2005, 23:16
The Fall of the Roman Empire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058085/)

There it is. Produced in 1964, and it wasn't centered on Nero, it was Commodus and Livius. One of the best movies ever made.

NodachiSam
09-04-2005, 23:18
I feel similar, the total war game has really made me much more interested in history than ever before. I'm not studying it but maybe if I had played the TW series before I graduated from highschool I would've taken a different route, seriously. ~:cheers: :book:

Coldfish
09-05-2005, 00:12
speaking about those "heroes" Julius Caesar,Hannibal,Alexander the Great...i don't like any of them...because all wanted to expand their teritory to subdue nations....I honor heroes that fights to keep their lands and protect his people...maybe Spartacus is close to my likenesses,but he either ,because used that revolt as a token of his revenge

br0kenrabbit
09-05-2005, 00:28
I'm not so much attracted to the 'big players' as I am the common soldier who is (was) serving to earn land and citizenship. The Roman era was very hard for the average person, and it took some character that is sadly lacking in todays society to stand in one spot ready to do your duty as the enemy army approached. All done so the individual could make something of himself.

Next time you're playing, as the enemy approaches, zoom in with the camera and sit it behind your front line, and ask yourself:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tennesseerabbit2/rome2.jpg

Celt Centurion
09-05-2005, 18:09
Call it crazy if you want...but,I just finished high-school and because i just love Rome Total War i decided to go to History College ~:) ...i think RTW is a mass phenomenon

No, you are not crazy.

I served for 22 years in the Armed Forces. Then I had my own constuction business for another 10, and came to realize that I would not be able to carry 24' long, 200 pound beams up a ladder and set them onto two walls 24' apart forever.

I am now in my fifth year of College working on certification to teach History. I should graduate in about 7 more months.

Although I did a tremendous amount of influence for the good over the past 30 + years, I see an opportunity to multiply it teaching history.

What we do in life, DOES echo through Eternity.

It may also serve you well to consider serving in the Armed Forces of your own country. I am proud to have served in mine.

One of the postings in this thread showed a picture, and mentioned "What if you were him?" An excellent point to consider.

My years of service (and many generations of my family back to the 1860's) gave me an appreciation for that one man doing his duty. That is probably why I try to keep my own casualties down. I HAVE been that man.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

scorillo
09-05-2005, 18:26
That's cool man, I understand you perfectly....The only thing that will make me serve my country in the army, is because my ancestors..i respect them ,and i most honor them....ONLY for them I will do it....not for some stupid politicians wich are pretending to be just,and frankly they are without no dignity
I respect you for those 22 years in service..Surely was hard

and oh yes!.. "Strenght ( ~:cheers: ) and Honor ( :knight: )" ~D

The Stranger
09-05-2005, 18:35
I'm not so much attracted to the 'big players' as I am the common soldier who is (was) serving to earn land and citizenship. The Roman era was very hard for the average person, and it took some character that is sadly lacking in todays society to stand in one spot ready to do your duty as the enemy army approached. All done so the individual could make something of himself.

Next time you're playing, as the enemy approaches, zoom in with the camera and sit it behind your front line, and ask yourself:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tennesseerabbit2/rome2.jpg

that looked like the movie gladiator...

scorillo
09-05-2005, 18:51
LOL ! YES !!......the only thing is missing is the general bodyguards cavalry and some fired rocks flying...and most important some accurate germanic barbarian looking ~;)

Mount Suribachi
09-05-2005, 21:06
Hehe, you think thats bad, wait till you're in the countryside somewhere and you see a ridgeline and start thinking "that would make a great place for a defensive stand, spears in front protecting the archers..."
:duel:

good to hear that you're thinking of doing history at uni :book:

Alexei
09-05-2005, 21:24
It changed my life too.

But in an unusual way. I mean, some of the quotes (when the game is charging) are so meaningful that it made me want to learn more about roman culture. I have to admit that I found it at least equal, if not superior, as ours. But it is too late for me for going to History College :sad:

Zatoichi
09-05-2005, 22:09
But it is too late for me for going to History College :sad:

Maybe, but it's never too late to pick up a book! I'll admit to having had an interest in 'history' since I was a child, but RTW is the first game I've played that has made me go and buy history books! I've enjoyed reading the Adrian Goldsworthy books on the Roman army and the Punic wars, and I'm currently reading a history of the Republic. It's bizarre really to think I'd never have read these things if it wasn't for a computer game...

Celt Centurion
09-07-2005, 09:17
Maybe, but it's never too late to pick up a book! I'll admit to having had an interest in 'history' since I was a child, but RTW is the first game I've played that has made me go and buy history books! I've enjoyed reading the Adrian Goldsworthy books on the Roman army and the Punic wars, and I'm currently reading a history of the Republic. It's bizarre really to think I'd never have read these things if it wasn't for a computer game...

Should any of you be interested in some reading, here are a few recommendations for "Historical based fiction" books:

Eagle in the Snow--Wallace Breem (Rome in Germania at the Freezing of the Rhein)

Hadrian's Wall------William Dietrich (Hadrian's Wall of course)

Gates of Fire--------Stephen Pressfield (Thermopylae)

Spartan-------------Valerio Massimo Manfredi (Post Thermopylae)

Centurion-----------Peter Mitsopoulos (Teutoberg Forest, and afterward)

If you have any inclination toward "Egyptian", then there are three series by Christian Jacq, the first is

"RAMSES." 5 Volumes

The second is

"Stone of Light." 4 Volumes

They were all excellent!

I have not yet bought the third set.

Finally, Wilbur Smith has written several, My favorite being "River God." "The 7th Scroll" was also good, as were "Warlock and Sunbird."

This reading may, of course, probably pull you away from playing RTW for a little while.

I truly hope you enjoy reading these as much as I did.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Hold Steady
09-07-2005, 14:52
Hmm, him? I'd rather be the Triarii in the back row, the guy 6 metres behind that one. Will that do?

gardibolt
09-07-2005, 16:33
The Robert Graves books, I Claudius and Claudius the God are excellent for the Roman Empire proper, and for the later empire, Count Belisarius, also by Graves. Graves was both a poet and historian and thus his writing gets high marks on all counts.

Celt Centurion
09-08-2005, 02:30
The Robert Graves books, I Claudius and Claudius the God are excellent for the Roman Empire proper, and for the later empire, Count Belisarius, also by Graves. Graves was both a poet and historian and thus his writing gets high marks on all counts.

Thank you Gardibolt! I shall add those to my list!

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Celt Centurion
09-08-2005, 02:34
Hmm, him? I'd rather be the Triarii in the back row, the guy 6 metres behind that one. Will that do?

You have live long enough to get old enough in the Hastati and Principes before getting into the Triarii!

I suppose that technically speaking, we older retired warriors make up the modern Triarii.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Celt Centurion
09-08-2005, 02:57
That's cool man, I understand you perfectly....The only thing that will make me serve my country in the army, is because my ancestors..i respect them ,and i most honor them....ONLY for them I will do it....not for some stupid politicians wich are pretending to be just,and frankly they are without no dignity
I respect you for those 22 years in service..Surely was hard

and oh yes!.. "Strenght ( ~:cheers: ) and Honor ( :knight: )" ~D

Scorillo,

You have every right to that opinion, and I support your right to it.

I shall not get into a political wrangling match, because we should all have respect for other's ideas in this forum.

If you think that your country has stupid politicians, join the club! My country has some stupid politicians as well! Serving in your country's Armed Forces will make you a stronger, and more resolute man than you already are. The Armed Forces is also an excellent grooming ground to make a "WISE STATESMAN", not a "clever politician."

After retiring from Military Service, I ran for offices in which to make my community better. I did not get elected, but YOU may!

I may run for an office again, and have hinted as such to a politician that he may have a challenger in the next election.

Please do not take this as a negative message toward you, because it is nothing of the sort. Like in RTW, military experience makes for a better General. The message I wish to convey is that your service to your Country when you are young, will resonate throughout your life BEFORE it has an opportunity to echo throughout Eternity.

You COULD get elected to some of those offices giving your community and country a Wise Statesman. Think of how much better ALL would be for it!

Very Best of wishes to you!

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

scorillo
09-08-2005, 04:16
Well, in my country army service is optional...only if I want i will join army ~:) Unfortunately now I have future plans...and army isn't among them...anyway...if I will do it, I agree, and I was aware that army service will change me in a positive way.

I think a perfect soldier is a man who always fights to free himself from fear and he does not feel "in love" with bad things that destroy men...but i think in our days, this soldier no longer exists
btw i've added you to my buddy list ~:cheers:

frybread
09-08-2005, 08:02
I had thought about military service when I was younger. But I went to college instead. Now, at 29, I am probably too old for basic training, although I am in good shape.

Celt Centurion
09-09-2005, 18:32
Well, in my country army service is optional...only if I want i will join army ~:) Unfortunately now I have future plans...and army isn't among them...anyway...if I will do it, I agree, and I was aware that army service will change me in a positive way.

I think a perfect soldier is a man who always fights to free himself from fear and he does not feel "in love" with bad things that destroy men...but i think in our days, this soldier no longer exists
btw i've added you to my buddy list ~:cheers:
Thank you for the compliment. When I create a buddy list, you shall be at the top of it.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Celt Centurion
09-09-2005, 18:35
I had thought about military service when I was younger. But I went to college instead. Now, at 29, I am probably too old for basic training, although I am in good shape.

Frybread my friend,

That would depend upon which country you are in, and in some cases, which service you wish to enter.

When I was 40, the younger troops in their twenties had a tough time keeping up with me.

At 51, I am a little slower, but I just keep on going.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion