PDA

View Full Version : Sea Battles

tk-421
09-10-2005, 01:58
Is it possible for you people at EB or some other game-modifying types to make sea battles playable on the battle map? Someone has probably asked this before but I am curious.

khelvan
09-10-2005, 02:17
The short answer is "no."

Divinus Arma
09-10-2005, 03:35
I would be willing to bet that the long answer is "no", too.

Ludens
09-10-2005, 15:29
I would be willing to bet that the long answer is "no", too.
Actually, somebody did manage to create seabattles, or at least fake these screenshots (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20358). Unfortunatly this was the last I ever heard of it.

For the record: adding sea battles to the game would be a great achievement, but unless they are really sea-battles and not just land-battles on a blue field, I am not interested.

khelvan
09-10-2005, 15:46
For the record: adding sea battles to the game would be a great achievement, but unless they are really sea-battles and not just land-battles on a blue field, I am not interested.There are no actual sea battles, and can be no actual sea battles. It is possible to "fake" sea battles by making a blue field and using land units to do it, with a whole lot of work. There is literally no possible way to do them correctly, as you wish.

jerby
09-10-2005, 15:47
nice screenies..still fake..

i really dont think sea battles will be that terrific...
not mcuh tactics.: just ramming and enteren..maybe a bit artillery. that's it..

khelvan
09-10-2005, 16:26
I doubt they're fake; that sure looks like land units fighting on a blue field, to me. The models wouldn't be that hard to make; the ship would be a mount model, like the chariot, and the soldiers part of the "crew." But the unit would travel on land, and other problems arise, so it wouldn't be able to be in the campaign without some MAJOR fudging. I think it isn't worth the trouble, but others might have a different opinion.

Ludens
09-10-2005, 16:33
There are no actual sea battles, and can be no actual sea battles. It is possible to "fake" sea battles by making a blue field and using land units to do it, with a whole lot of work. There is literally no possible way to do them correctly, as you wish.
I already suspected that. Thanks for the explanation.

jerby, the screenshots have a definite R:TW look, so I doubt they are fake. But I agree with Khelvan that adding sea battles would take loads of work for some rather limited gameplay.

jerby
09-10-2005, 16:44
yeah. you're right. they're probably from rtw. but i doubt it's possible to do anythign wiht them except moving and rammin...there wouldn't be any tactical depth..

Dux Corvanus
09-10-2005, 20:07
They can make 'ship-shaped chariots' and make them move on sea-textured earth. But they can't make them act like ships, I mean, with real ship tactics and formations -with vulnerable sides and strong extremes, trying to ram the enemy sides. I imagine ridiculous charges of ships coming and going here and there like chariots do in battle.

It's better not having them if it is going to be that way.

Biffy
09-10-2005, 21:07
Yeah, I agree, I think that a modded sea battle addon would just suck. I wonder if anyone would be able to do some kind of basic 2D sea battle sim where you can have some kind of imput, with basic orders and formations or something. Nevertheless I think that this area should just be forgotten about, it would take up alot of time and effort and as you guys have said, the end result would probably be shoddy.