PDA

View Full Version : The seige towers is bugged

Matheis
09-18-2005, 10:09
I was seiging a large town owned by scipi im now at civil war with the other roman factions i allready destroyed sicipi and now polishing off bruiti and allready own 45% of the map. Anyways to get to the point I was seiging a large town with large stone walls I sent in my tower it was being moved by 40 or so seminate gladiators and when the tower deployed they all fell to there death most of them died but some recoverd from injurys. :furious3:

Also my trians also died the same way too except they all died and fell off the tower :furious3: . Then today I had my 122 legion unit dont remember the name its a legionare unit but this time the tower broke and collapsed and killed all of them. Anyone else get these bugs?

aw89
09-18-2005, 11:37
I can barely understand you, in proper english please?

Ragnor_Lodbrok
09-18-2005, 11:51
I think his units fell off a siege tower and later one tower collapsed.
I don't think collapsing siege towers are a bug.

manbaps
09-18-2005, 12:52
no he is explaining a true bug, with large stone walls the siege tower (big version obviously) doesnt always get close enough to the walls so there is a tny gap and so when units are using it they fall down the hole.

lilljonas
09-18-2005, 13:19
Yes, that is correct. The Siege tower not reaching the walls and it's attackers plummeting like lemmings towards their doom? Probably a bug. The siege tower falling to pieces when attacked? Definately not a bug.

econ21
09-18-2005, 13:48
Yes, I've encountered this bug - I think attacking Syracuse. A kind soul has ammended the file descr_engines.txt to avoid it happening - editing the engines to be a bit bigger or something. I picked up the corrected file from the Rome Total Realism forums, IIRC.

http://www.rometotalrealism.org

Matheis
09-19-2005, 00:47
I can barely understand you, in proper english please?

Hey wise guy if you cant read it then you are having problems yourself because most of the guys on this thread understood what I said. You might need to go see an optometrist or get hooked on phonics http://www.hop.com/

Norxis
09-19-2005, 07:10
In AW89's defence, your original post was largely unintelligible.

rebelscum
09-19-2005, 16:40
You dont need a patch, just a sign which reads
'mind the gap'
~;)

Matheis
09-20-2005, 00:38
In AW89's defence, your original post was largely unintelligible.

so what? do you think anyone really cares? drop it please no one cares what you think.....

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-20-2005, 01:20
That's an inappropriate peer-2-teen choice right there.

aw89 could probably have been more polite in his request, or just waited for clarification. I can only assume that he wanted a "translation" in order to help you, as opposed to just criticizing you.

And your post did include numerous "creative" spellings and "interesting" choices in grammar and punctuation. And some people care because the .Org is supposed to be a nice joint, and unintelligible posts take away from that.

Word to the wise - spellcheck is a valuable and easy-to-use tool.

Certainly, you don't need to attack people. And "no one cares what you think" isn't very mature either.

:bow:

vale
09-20-2005, 05:08
Yeah, at first I didn't understand what he was talking about. But the bug I've experienced once, it is a little different thought it just that all my troops that waiting to climb up the ladder and before they could they just drop dead. :hide: :hide: :computer: :computer: :hanged: :hanged: :gossip: :gossip: :devil: :devil: :toilet: :toilet: :eeeek: :eeeek: :eeeek: :eeeek:

Matheis
09-20-2005, 08:56
That's an inappropriate peer-2-teen choice right there.

aw89 could probably have been more polite in his request, or just waited for clarification. I can only assume that he wanted a "translation" in order to help you, as opposed to just criticizing you.

And your post did include numerous "creative" spellings and "interesting" choices in grammar and punctuation. And some people care because the .Org is supposed to be a nice joint, and unintelligible posts take away from that.

Word to the wise - spellcheck is a valuable and easy-to-use tool.

Certainly, you don't need to attack people. And "no one cares what you think" isn't very mature either.

:bow:

thanks for your advice im sorry my spelling and grammer is not good enough for your standerds awp and the other guy offended me basicly they called me stupid one person may be stupid in 1 subject but may be good in another.

https://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7074/spellingnazis8iy.jpg

Magraev
09-20-2005, 09:00
What a kid eh, gotta love those pre-teens ~;)

Matheis
09-20-2005, 09:03
What a kid eh, gotta love those pre-teens ~;)

are you a mind reader I have seen lots of 30 year olds who act like kids

HarunTaiwan
09-20-2005, 09:06
and these same people grow up to complain about tech manuals, DIY instructions, etc.

spelling and grammer is no biggy deal, jussst like wenn I drive on the left side of the rowed - these rulez are for nazis.

TinCow
09-20-2005, 17:49
spelling and grammer

It's spelled grammar.

Mongoose
09-20-2005, 18:38
aw89 could have been more polite, but your post was very hard to read. of course, all is forgiven if english is not your first language :bow: How ever, that's still no excuse for not using spell check.

Also, it's rude to suggest that people read "hooked on phonics" just because they can't understand your "Creative" Take on the language ~D ca;n u u/\/d3r 57@/\/d |-| 1 (0uld b3 h@rd 70 u/\/d3r57@nd!1!11!!!!11????/?//??/ Not suggesting that your english is that awful, just using an example of "Creative" english that could confuse people...

econ21
09-20-2005, 18:44
Let's not bicker, people. We're dragging the thread off-topic and just creating ill will. ~:grouphug:

Mongoose
09-20-2005, 18:47
Agreed. i edited out part of my post that might have been too insulting.

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-20-2005, 21:48
Never mind.

lars573
09-20-2005, 22:23
The siege tower is not bugged. It has always worked just fine for me. Both sizes have never had men plummet instead of getting to the battlements.

econ21
09-20-2005, 22:51
The siege tower is not bugged. It has always worked just fine for me. Both sizes have never had men plummet instead of getting to the battlements.

It may always have worked for you, but I have personally observed it and it is on the bug list both here and at TW centre:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46366

I believe it is something to do with the siege tower model not fully touching some large stone walls.

lilljonas
09-20-2005, 22:52
Just because you haven't been affected by a bug does not in any way mean that the bug exists any less.

I've seen it. It's nasty.

Marcus: "By Jupiter, there's a one foot gap between our tower and the rampart!"
Pontus: "That's like, 30cm right? A simple skip, what could possibly happen? Chaaaarge!"
*wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-KABOB*

White men can't jump!

lars573
09-20-2005, 23:50
It does in fact mean there is no bug. It doesn't happen all the time even for those who suffer from it, and for some (like me) it nevers happens ever. So there it isn't a bug.

lilljonas
09-20-2005, 23:54
That logic is, if you excuse me, nonexistant. It does not rain on me every time I walk out: does that mean that rain does not exist? If the bug doesn't exist, how come it has affected the game for a vast amount of players, one of them being myself?

"Oh, it does seem like the seige tower is behaving irrational, leading to my men plummeting to their death. But surely it must be a mirage: since it doesn't happen to Lars573, it can't be happening to me! I'll just go and fetch some tea, and the siege tower will realize it's erronious ways. Dum, di dum."

EDIT: the bug where the selection of units is messed up doesn't happen to me every battle either. It doesn't even happen to me every day: it just happens quite a lot. Does that mean that that bug doesn't exist either? It would be great, since it's been quite annoying. If it is proven to not exist, it would ease my playing experience immensely.

Kraxis
09-21-2005, 00:34
What about the case with 'X' 3D card that can't run the game because of a said bug. Well I don't suffer from it and I have 'X' 3D card... Obviously the others are just suffering from problems they have inflicted themselves (read: installed the game).

Come on... a bug is a bug is a bug. Bugs can affect few people, or all the way to all people (like the secondary weapon bug in 1.1).

About the siege towers, luckily I haven't experienced that, but at times I have experienced extremely rapid destruction of them. One tower (not facing any archers) gets flames after only a short advance, while another next to it reaches the wall. Rather anoying when you plan on hitting the defenders from several places.

Puzz3D
09-21-2005, 01:42
I wait until the enemy has to sally.

lars573
09-21-2005, 04:02
Fools, fools there are 2 kinds of errors a game can have. The first is a mstake in the games coding or data files, a bug. The second is an error that occurs during the games real time operations, not a bug (I call them Gremlins). Bugs always happen everytime you run the game. Gremlins occur ramdomly. And can have sources out side the software in question. Anything can cause one like a fragmented driver or an error in windows, or the games model files are out of whack. Since siege towers don't always flush there crews to the ground it means that it's not a bug. If it was a bug it would always happen.

Yukon Cornelius
09-21-2005, 07:32
So you like to mince words. The point being made is there is an error or oversight in the game that, when the conditions are right (perhaps when a siege tower attaches to a particular segment of wall in a few particular cities), causes the game to do something unintended. (We can only hope) CA did not *intend* for troops to march out of a siege tower and plummet to their deaths through a crack between the tower and the wall. Most of us call that a bug. If you'd rather call it an Italian sausage, be my guest. Know, however, that a bug by any other name would be as irritating.

manbaps
09-21-2005, 11:57
lars573 a bug is something in the game that shouldnt happen, simple as that. I bet if you could work out the conditions of when this bug happens you could get it to happen in your game, just by some sort of luck it hasnt happened to you. Dont start an arguement just because you use different words to everyone else.

Butcher
09-21-2005, 13:00
Be nice, people. What would your mothers say eh?

lars573
09-21-2005, 14:47
I talk to my mother that way, so that means nothing to me.

Kraxis
09-21-2005, 16:03
The original 'bug' was a physical bug. The old computers (the housesized ones) had many open connections so they were easy to change out and so on. But as it happened bugs did crawl in there from time to time (nice and warm), then they caused a shortout in a particular section making whatever the computer was doing go wrong.

In effect a bug is something that is wrong that might, but doesn't always happen. A bug that happens all the time is an error plain and simple. Bugs are hard to kill and often hard to notice (note the similarity to real life bugs).
Arguably both types can be called bugs, and I do call both of them bugs, but if you really want to have an argument about it, then it is the opposite of your view.

Daveybaby
09-22-2005, 18:31
Fools, fools there are 2 kinds of errors a game can have. The first is a mstake in the games coding or data files, a bug. The second is an error that occurs during the games real time operations, not a bug (I call them Gremlins). Bugs always happen everytime you run the game. Gremlins occur ramdomly. And can have sources out side the software in question. Anything can cause one like a fragmented driver or an error in windows, or the games model files are out of whack. Since siege towers don't always flush there crews to the ground it means that it's not a bug. If it was a bug it would always happen.

You, sir, do not have a clue what you are talking about. I can only pray that you dont get paid by anyone to develop software.

lars573
09-22-2005, 22:31
Actually sir I have more than a few clues as too what I'm talking about. And you pray in vain.

Yukon Cornelius
09-23-2005, 07:27
Recommendation: Stop talking about lars573' personal word definitions. It's like trying to talk a stone into rolling uphill.