PDA

View Full Version : Captains/generals/flagbearesr placed on the wrong side in the game

The Stranger
09-21-2005, 19:49
in RTW those stated above are on the left side of the unit...the position of honor however was right...it would seem normal to me that the generals etc commanded on the right side of there unit (not neccesary their army). but in RTW they are on left...is that rifght :bow:

rebelscum
09-21-2005, 21:10
How did you work that one out?

The_Doctor
09-21-2005, 21:59
I was thinking the same thing.

And have you noticed that at the beginning of a battle, before you have done anything, the best troops are on the left of the line, not the right.

Oaty
09-22-2005, 09:07

And have you noticed that at the beginning of a battle, before you have done anything, the best troops are on the left of the line, not the right.

Actually they are usually on the flanks with the right in favour in most deployents. All the engine tries to do is make a logic decision on where to put them.

Also deployment has a lot to do with where your units cards are at in the line. Ones on the far left will be on the right and vice versa, was the same way in MTW and possibly STW but I can't remember from that long ago.

So if your best units are at the end of a roster they will be on the left flank in most cases

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
09-22-2005, 23:00
Well logic is fine but surelly the general should be on the right.

Wasn't that how Ceaser screwed Pmpey, by switching it.

The Stranger
09-23-2005, 09:05

no that is actually working correct. the best are on the right...but the leaders of a unit (captains) are on the left side of the unit...shouldnt they be placed right...cuz its the position of honour. :bow:

Ciaran
09-23-2005, 10:22
Though I don´t even pretend to be a historian, I read somewhere that one of the main goals in battle was flanking the enemy on his right side. Why? Because that´s the unprotected side, as most people are right-handed, that´s the hand where the weapon is held, while the left side is protected by the shield. Thus it makes sense to deploy the best troops on the left wing. And also to place the officer on the left side - he can protect himself with his own shield (I suppose they usually had one) while his vulnerable right is protected by the mass of his men.

Divinus Arma
09-23-2005, 10:32
I have regularly drilled troops as a unit leader in the Marine Corps.

Your answer depends on the order of march.

In column, the unit leader would be positioned on the left, slightly to the rear of the center of the formation.

In line, they would post on the right, directly to the right or front of the guidon or standard bearer.

The possibility of representing this in a game while maintaing order is impossibily difficult.

This is because to go from column to line, a unit must be given the orders "Column Right" and "Left face" before the unit leader could Post in his new position. The mish mash formation changes we see do not occur in close order drill. Each man has a place and knows where to fall in based on rank and seniority, with, as you say, the position of honor on the right (in line) or in the front (in column).

They had to make a compromise decision and decided which position to place the unit leader. They chose a combination of both. Left of the line as in column, but abreast of the front rank as in line.

Hope this clears it up. :book:

The Stranger
09-23-2005, 17:46
to get this right...on march the captains were on the left side...in the battle/fight, they commanded their unit from right...

Thanx divinus

Colovion
09-23-2005, 21:25
the position of honor in a number of different Eastern armies was the center.