PDA

View Full Version : Your reputation preceeds you

gmjapan
09-22-2005, 16:50
Something I thought that was missing from this game was travelling reputations. I always thought commanders reputations and deeds preceeded them. Word of mouth and all that.

I know that they have command stars visible alongside the stack and if you spy you can see their v&V but thats when you have already met them and they are a move away. I think it would add some atmosphere to hear gossip about a particularly successful foriegn commander or campaign.

Like if you build a tavern or market you get access to the gossip of travellers. It could drop down the side like your usual reports at the start of the turn. Doesnt have to be often or very much, but I think if you were getting updates on another generals outlandish successes it might help immerse you more in the campaign and even affect your decisions (or make you want to test your mettle!).

I'm talking noteworthy victories that would have caused people to talk and the news to spread. Not for every fight or conquest.

I figure it would help create dread (or something) that a particular army had ideas on your empire next and that it was headed by a (now) famous and feared general. Maybe even affect unrest in towns that hear the rumours.

It seems strange never to hear of great battles (or generals) other than an easily missed "crossed swords" icon on the dirt that could be anywhere.

Just thinking out-loud...

Spartiate
09-22-2005, 19:19
I like the idea.Sadly i don't see any way of implementing it beyond doing something like in Shogun or MTW telling you that your General is now one of the greatest who ever lived.It's all about immersion and EB seem to have addressed this with a whole lot more events and messages that will pop up after particular criteria have been fulfilled.Maybe they can look into it but i doubt even they could do something along the lines you suggest.

bubbanator
09-22-2005, 23:16
I think that that is a great idea. Personaly, I would like to know who the best/most successful forign generals are (especialy in the end game) so that I could go hunt them down and have a challenging fight.

Colovion
09-23-2005, 06:36
Any idea like this which gives the game a more fluid and organic quality is a splendid thought. :2thumbsup:

It could be expanded upon to make it so that any mercenaries or Non-Professionals in the army will bicker and complain and raise their upkeep if you send them into battle against a General who is well known to slaughter every member of the losing side.

Divinus Arma
09-23-2005, 06:54
Immersion is a very important quality. One that contributes towards the life expectantcy of any game, but especially so with one stylized like the TW series.

Great Idea! I love it. Anything that adds to the common people and the sense of being part of something bigger than yourself. And... eventually, you ride that wave of history and become that which is bigger than yourself. From a piece of a movement to the embodiement of the cause. And certainly, other great adventures and epics would not be heard once and cast aside, but would , well "echo" (hate to steal the word, but it fits well). We would all await news of the hero's fate, even when that hero is not necessarily our own.

~:cheers:

screwtype
09-23-2005, 07:27
I think it's a great idea, and moreover it's the sort of stoopid chrome that CA really love to waste their time on ;)

Bartix
09-23-2005, 08:17
Good idea! ~:cheers: Now you see only special name like "Conqueror" on enemy general.
Also in MTW you get spy telling you factions planning to attack others. This is cool and useful. ~:cheers:

In RTW Could be scripted to message after AI battle when given trait or on same condition as marking battle field.
Modders can do this, i think. ~D Modders are great! :bow:

sapi
09-23-2005, 09:19
good idea - and while you're at it, why don't you add something like a unit 'info card', which can record battles the unit has been in (named by you), as well as other comments. For the general this could be an auto-created list of all victories and defeats, and teh number of men for each side in each battle...

sigh...back to earth now...