PDA

View Full Version : RTR 6.1 or BI

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 14:13
I've been waiting for RTR 6.1 before giving it a try. Of course BI is now (or soon) out and my question is which should choose to play (and why)? In order to play RTR I'll have to uninstall everything and face the possibility that I'll have to 'fiddle' with various registry settings in order to re-load 1.2. (BTW, brilliant design there CA - another system to prevent piracy no doubt!). OTOH I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay $33 (with tax) for BI 'sight unseen'.

econ21
09-27-2005, 14:20
I've installed RTR 6.1 and am planning to do a fresh separate separate install for BI - so I can have both on my computer. But maybe that won't work for the registry type reasons you've mentioned?

If you have to choose, may be you should go with BI first? There should be a fair amount of discussion and buzz about it here, so it might be fun to be in among the crowd. Also if you have never played RTR, it may spoil you for the vanilla game. However, once the novelty of BI wears off, you might find RTR more satisfying in the long run.

Personally, I had a fair amount of time with RTR 5.4 and 6.0 - although they were brilliant, I'm ready to try BI now. Hopefully by the time I've finished with it, EB will be out.

I suspect the long term choice for me will be between EB and RTR 7.0 (which will likely be made for BI).

caesar44
09-27-2005, 14:52
RTR 7 with BI ~;) But for now - Both (You can't play them both ? Why ?)

Stuie
09-27-2005, 14:53
[inside joke]I went with the Banana option.[/inside joke]

Honestly, I'm playing TFT v1.75. Now I might be biased, but that's probably all the RTW gaming I'll be doing for awhile. I'll definitely be buying BI in the next couple days though just for the new modding possibilities.

And then I'll buy Civ4 next month. ~:)

Sin Qua Non
09-27-2005, 15:03
RTR 6.1 has been like a fresh game to me, so I'll stick with it until BI is out and patched. I'm not worried that BI will not be a good game, but I'm sure the old same 1.0 bugs will need to be addressed, and I'm in no hurry. The dual install idea also sounds like a good idea, and I've never had registry problems with other dual installed games. The price is another good issue. BI seems to have a full game price for an expansion game, but maybe that's the way things are heading and CA is just getting out there first.

BTW I'm definitely waiting on Civ4. It seems very ambitious, and that often translates into the need for several patches. I really want Civ4 to be great, but they kind of annoyed me with Civ3.

CBR
09-27-2005, 15:13
You can just copy your RTW 1.2 folder and use that for the RTR install. Best thing to do is to have your default RTW 1.2 and use that for BI, have one fresh copy of 1.2 just in case RTR 6.2 requires a fresh install and then another copy of RTW 1.2 for RTR 6.1 to use until RTR 6.2 comes out.

I have only installed RTW once but use another copy for RTR and a couple of copies for EB and it works fine.

CBR

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 15:31
I guess I wasnt clear and I dont want to give the wrong impression or start rumours. The 'registry issue' relates to comments/problems I've seen about trying to do a clean install of RTW 1.2 after uninstalling it (which is recommended for RTR 6.1). One of the solutions is to clean out the registry of lingering RTW 1.2 references prior to re-installing i.e. a pain in the butt.

I'd guess a dual install of RTR and BI will be possible but I'll wait for some other brave soul to try it first ~;)

Stuie, you're not comparing civ to a banana are you? ~;)

It seems to me from the first reviews of BI that BI and RTR are to some degree polar opposite improvements to RTW. BI seems to have maintained the 'fantasy' side of the units (which doesnt bother me too much) while RTR has removed them. CA has the best chance to change the BIG problems with RTW but I wonder whether they have bothered to do so (and will they have introduced new problems - after all, 1.2 wasnt a great success IMO). OTOH RTR may have wanted to fix many things but a mod can only do so much. On the big plus side for RTR is the fact that many 'real' TW players use it and and it has gone through enough iterations so that most of the bugs should be gone (thats why I waited for 6.1). BI, OTOH, may be just as bad (bugwise) as RTW (although I hope not).

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 15:36
You can just copy your RTW 1.2 folder and use that for the RTR install. Best thing to do is to have your default RTW 1.2 and use that for BI, have one fresh copy of 1.2 just in case RTR 6.2 requires a fresh install and then another copy of RTW 1.2 for RTR 6.1 to use until RTR 6.2 comes out.

I have only installed RTW once but use another copy for RTR and a couple of copies for EB and it works fine.

CBR

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have the BI demo in the mix. It may uninstall completely I suppose and 'revert' to 1.2 but I just dont need the PC hassles if it doesnt.

The_Doctor
09-27-2005, 15:41
Chiv:TW, which will be for BI, so I will buy BI. And then Civ4.

CBR
09-27-2005, 16:28
BI demo is not installed to play it so it shouldnt cause any problems.

CBR

Orda Khan
09-27-2005, 16:59
BI....No contest

.......Orda

Taurus
09-27-2005, 17:13
BI is the only way.

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 17:22
Are those choices for BI because you didnt like RTR?

Shaun
09-27-2005, 17:28
Well i think you shood play them both, 6.1 till BI comes out then BI when its out.

Orda Khan
09-27-2005, 17:35
No. Simply because BI interests me whereas RTR does not

........Orda

Shaun
09-27-2005, 17:54
No. Simply because BI interests me whereas RTR does not

........Orda
Why dosent RTR interest you?

CBR
09-27-2005, 18:06
Because there are Huns in BI ~;)

CBR

MiniKiller
09-27-2005, 18:11
This may be a rather dumb question and may have been answered many times over but I havent been able to find this answer.

When I install BI will I still have the option to play the original RTW campaign with the senate and all. Like have a choice for RTW campaign or BI campaign.

TB666
09-27-2005, 18:12
Well I hate RTR.
I think it is the worst piece of crap mod ever made.
But I would have voted for BI even if RTR was good.
The new features and the AI improvements is enough for it to kick any mod out now in the behind.

CBR
09-27-2005, 18:28
This may be a rather dumb question and may have been answered many times over but I havent been able to find this answer.

When I install BI will I still have the option to play the original RTW campaign with the senate and all. Like have a choice for RTW campaign or BI campaign.
BI will be a seperate part in the RTW folder and it should also update RTW to the latest (1.3) You will end up having 2 different shortcuts on your desktop: one for RTW and one for BI.

CBR

MiniKiller
09-27-2005, 18:51
ahh IC, thank you kindly

Viking
09-27-2005, 19:07

No, I haven`t tried RTR. To much for a dialer to download. I don`t think I`ve missed anything either, that time period is played to death.

Dutch_guy
09-27-2005, 19:26
Well I hate RTR.
I think it is the worst piece of crap mod ever made.
But I would have voted for BI even if RTR was good.
The new features and the AI improvements is enough for it to kick any mod out now in the behind.

Why do you hate RTR ? I though it was a great mod, played it alot.

Anyway , I will play both , I will keep updating RTR - and play BI.

:balloon2:

Taurus
09-27-2005, 19:35
I did not Hate BI but to be honest I prefer Vanilla, simply because these days I play more MP. So i will look forward to BI more.

Lord Preston
09-27-2005, 20:01
none of those options.

Europa Barbarorum is the way to go

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 21:40
BI demo is not installed to play it so it shouldnt cause any problems.

CBR

You are correct sir.

I havent looked at it since the first day it came out and forgot about that. I guess that means I have the same version as the clean install since I was careful to remove the bugfixer prior to testing the demo.

SpencerH
09-27-2005, 21:44
No, I haven`t tried RTR. To much for a dialer to download. I don`t think I`ve missed anything either, that time period is played to death.

Ah, but I only bothered to finish one campaign (3 or 4 partials though) and that was quite a while ago.

It looks like BI is the clear winner. I guess I should have added some more poll options in order to determine whether the BI choosers were generally RTW 'positive or negative'.

Mongoose
09-27-2005, 21:54
Much more importantly, have they even played RTR? ~;)

i would suggest waiting to see if BI is worth buying, while playing RTR at the moment.

Orda Khan
09-28-2005, 00:03
Why dosent RTR interest you?
Should it? BI has more to offer as far as I am concerned. Do not expect everyone to share your opinion. If you enjoy it, great, I am not interested.

Because there are Huns in BI
........And there were Scythians and Parthians in RTW. BI interests me more

.....Orda

SpencerH
09-28-2005, 12:42
Moved! Well that pretty much kills the thread (although I think the question is 80% answered anyway).

CBR
09-28-2005, 13:36
I just got BI. Installation went fine, or so I thought. BI would start up but RTW quit at the splash screen. So I unstalled BI and then RTW and reinstalled everything and all is fine now.

CBR

SpencerH
09-28-2005, 15:20
So you have RTR 6.1 and BI with duplicate RTW folders ???

CBR
09-28-2005, 15:30
Yes I still got my old RTR 6.1 folder as well as two EB and one old 1.2 folder.

As long as those are just copies from your main install then they wont mess with the registry so you dont have to worry about that.

CBR

Paul Peru
09-28-2005, 19:47
RTR 6.0 + Draknar's mod collection has been my best RTW experience so far.
RTR is good now, and DMC makes it shine.
I'm waiting for either DMC for RTR 6.1 or RTR 6.2 to come out before I'll start another campaign.
Given what I've read so far, I'll probably buy BI at some point, but there's no rush.

SpencerH
09-28-2005, 21:46
What do Draknars mods do?

Bob the Insane
09-29-2005, 17:41
I had to vote for BI beicase that is what I am doing at the moment...

I am an ardent fan of RTR and find 6.1 to be the best yet and far superior to RTW but I just had to give BI a try (it is one of my favority historical periods after all)...

I have to say that so far I am not regreating it playing BI it feels not just like a new era but like the game is more complete somehow... The strategy game seems harder, the battles seems a little harder (I know that is not saying much) and the battlefield AI does not seem quite to be a weak as previously....

I seriously can't wait for RTR on BI...

I will have to give a RTW campaign a go to see if there are any changes propogated accross...

Slyspy
10-01-2005, 01:25
Neither, because unfortunately neither will make a challenge out of the battles. The AI is just too shoddy and neither very professional mods nor half-baked expansions will remedy that.